• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS' choice to go with a massive amount of slower CUs in their GPU has resulted in much less space on the chip for custom engines. The benefit is theoretically higher amount of vector operations and potential for ray tracing.

Overrall the downside is the power draw and cost. The power draw is going to be pushed up powering all those transistors, especially when you consider their CPU is clocked 300Mhz higher than PS5's also. Power draw is a concern and 52CU brute force GPU approach is going to be costly, especially if those CUs can't be fed as efficiently as a smaller amount.

IIRC from Cerny 's presentation, CPU in PS5 is 3.5 GHz SMT

xool

www.pcgameshardware.de/Playstation-5-Konsolen-265878/News/PS5-Teraflops-unwichtig-1345953

Learn how to remove the jank from url 👍

Last edited:
Right, so 10GB at 560, used for GPU.
3.5GB at 336, used for CPU Audio etc.
2.5GB At 336 reserved for system OS.

we all know that only the GPU can take full advantage of the 560. The 336 is overkill for what it’s used for. ( the Xbox one X has less than 336 by the way) Unless the 10GB is not enough and starves the GPU, it’s not going to be a problem. Also, we have no idea how PS5 uses memory.

If they need more RAM like memory with lower bandwidth,, and offset any part of graphics that doesn't need high bandwidth, 100 GB of the SSD will be available for developers. I like to emphasize that both PS5 and XsX SSD bandwidth is almost equal to the CPU/GPU bandwidth of the original Xbox that came out in the year 2000.

CJY

Banned
It could well be a separate ARM chip for OS, and some DDR4 .. I'd like that, but wouldn't they have mentioned it as a feature in "road to PS5" ?
It also wasn't mentioned how much of the RAM would be taken by the OS though either, so chances are high that it doesn't concern devs. Meaning the OS RAM footprint won't encroach on the 16GB of GDDR6 at all. I personally think it would be a waste of money and resources to give any of the GDDR6 to the OS. Maybe I'm wrong and a game dev does need to know what the OS situation is even if it's a separate RAM pool but I'm failing to see why.

4GB of LPDDR4 would probably cost less than a $2, and has a maximum bandwidth of ~400MB/s. Definitely enough for the OS and would mean the OS could sit in RAM at all times. There is zero need for 448GB/s GDDR6 for the OS, it's total overkill.

As far as I know PS4 Pro had some DDR3/4 memory for the OS, but I can't find it on the official spec sheet. It stands to reason they would take this path again with PS5 because next gen is far more RAM constrained than this gen. If they do it, it'll be a massive win for them. No doubt about it.

xool

As far as I know PS4 Pro had some DDR3/4 memory for the OS, but I can't find it on the official spec sheet. It stands to reason they would take this path again with PS5 because next gen is far more RAM constrained than this gen. If they do it, it'll be a massive win for them. No doubt about it.
I agree

geordiemp

explain how bandwidth is better on PS5? averaging it out the XSX is Still faster.

The bandwidth feeds 52 CU, so 560/52 .....per CU....Ps5 has better bandwidth per CU>

Then if the slow ram is used in game, Xbox is slower when using slower RAM, and it has 12 TF power to feed.

Dont get me wrong, Ps5 is constrained with 448, they both look highly suspect.

I think they will both be bandwidth constrained heavily and may perform with similar handicaps....is my wild guess.

Does it depends how good the compression is ? I no idea, but its interesting and not clear cut at all,

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

CJY

Banned
explain how bandwidth is better on PS5? averaging it out the XSX is Still faster.

It's not really a fast/faster metric though, but a good/bad. Split pools is worse than one unified pool. I know it's not technically "split" in the normal sense, but it's not fully unified either which may lead to complexity for devs.

Aceofspades

Banned
ZOpZES3.png

Secondly, adding to red (bad) - a slower, but still sufficient fast SSD - is unjustified.

The table is just to highlight for people how each console were staking against each other. The legend with coloring is fair and methodical, 2.4GB/s for Xbox is not bad by itself but it can be shown red simply for the huge advantage that PS5 has in that area.

Also coloring can help people see with their own eyes that next gen delta is not as big the delta between PS4 and X1 this gen .

xool

So Reveal Day +1 and a couple of things have happened
  1. "Insiders" have dissappeared/apologized/gone quite
  2. "Devs" have appeared, with important information on how "TF don't matter" etc
  3. Nobody learned anything
Some of these devs have no company, or are working on 2D Saturn games, or are like the Activision one from Ree who doesn't even program .. but hey - it's a dev - even if they are a texture artist or whatever ..

What sort of ass clown uses TF as a metric anyway ? right ?

It's in japanese, so weebo honor is satisfied.

Trust yourself, not self appointed "experts".

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Your input implies that multiplat game design will be different for xbox and ps5 - so for example next year cod or resident evil will be different in game design for the sake of utilising ps5 ssd and overall power of xbox (and there will be no games for xbox series x that aren't released on basic xbox one at least for the first year). Did I get this right?
And I'm sure that multiplat games will be designed from the point of the weakest possible hardware. Which implies orientation oh the capabilities of hdd with 5400 rpm. We know that there won't be games on xbox series x that aren't playable on xone at least in 2021.
So, how do you see the utilization of ps5 ssd capabilities in multiplat games when gamedesign clearly will be limited by the capabilities of 5400 rpm hdd in the gaming device at least for the games that will be released in 2021 aside from loading times?

No, they well work great on both. But PS5 is using some efficient approach, less taxing and XSX will brute force it. The results should be identical.

Lone Wolf

It's not really a fast/faster metric though, but a good/bad. Split pools is worse than one unified pool. I know it's not technically "split" in the normal sense, but it's not fully unified either which may lead to complexity for devs.
Fair enough. we will find out if the pools are split properly when the games come.

CJY

Banned
Fair enough. we will find out if the pools are split properly when the games come.
Don't get me wrong, the 10GB is wicked fast. Just that there might be some caveats. And others have stated, it's possible both consoles might be slightly bandwidth starved. I personally think it's a wash, with a slight edge going to Sony on the RAM. If Sony don't reserve any GDDR6 for the OS, I'd give Sony the clear advantage here. Let's just wait and see. :)

www.pcgameshardware.de/Playstation-5-Konsolen-265878/News/PS5-Teraflops-unwichtig-1345953

Learn how to remove the jank from url 👍
True, but the whole package of the Ps5 is worse than Series X
Stronger CPU
More bandwidth
Higher texture fill rate and ray tracying capabilities.

So Reveal Day +1 and a couple of things have happened
  1. "Insiders" have dissappeared/apologized/gone quite
  2. "Devs" have appeared, with important information on how "TF don't matter" etc
  3. Nobody learned anything
Some of these devs have no company, or are working on 2D Saturn games, or are like the Activision one from Ree who doesn't even program .. but hey - it's a dev - even if they are a texture artist or whatever ..

What sort of ass clown uses TF as a metric anyway ? right ?

It's in japanese, so weebo honor is satisfied.

Trust yourself, not self appointed "experts".
He uses TFs as a target for resolution, not for general visuals\how to make a game look better in general.
Plus, his statement out of context would be wrong by itself: APIs, software and architectures can absolutely make a machine "more powerful" (more efficient) making a certain target reachable with different ways. You need 8 TF without RDNA, VRS, geometry engine and such.
Meaning: PS4 needed 8TF for that and didn't have it, so they couldn't reach 4K as they weren't planning in changing anything else aside from ram speed and CPU clock.
Funny enough, Xbox One X is 6 TFs not 8, yet CAN reach native 4k.
You could say that it applies even with PS5 and SeX because they are both RDNA 2, they would just need less TFs, but we have no idea even how PS5 APIs works and the impact other components have. You don't have even ground just because is RDNA2, or at least this is what I think.

Last edited:

Farrell55

Banned
That's why I said in another thread that the Geometry Engine is huge, not only does it handle mesh shading, but it frees up so much performance, freeing up unseen parts of geometry in realtime…….The Geometry engine is one of the PS5's primary custom features......You will hear devs praising this time after time as next gen rolls on...….It's pretty much the evolution of PS4 PRO's geometry rendering...….PS4 PRO had something called the Primitive discard accelerator which culls triangles from the scene that aren't visible, they had the Delta Color Correction which saved bandwidth and they also had the ID buffer which tracked triangles and objects and cleaned up the rendered image on the fly...….The geometry Engine is pretty much accomplishing these tasks, but it's pretty much a more complex Primitive Discard Accelerator on steroids……..

Well VRS is the least of anyone's worries...….It's part of RDNA 2.0, it's available on everything from MS Direct X 12 to Vulkan to Nvidia GPU's to AMD GPU's to Intel upcoming GPU's......VRS will be similar to AF next gen, everybody will have it, it's not something that will be exclusive to any company, besides all companies will have their spin on it......AMD's VRS is pretty interesting at this point and it's going to enhanced significantly via their Fidelity FX software suite on their GPU's...

At this point, VRS is simply a standard api feature......I think there was no need for Cerny to focus on that, speaking on the Geometry Engine is something more custom for PS5 and that was his focus, the GE will be much more important than VRS anyway, if anything it will enhance VRS in ways the other box can't and lighten the load in realtime even more...….

That speech was more focused on devs with Cerny highlighting the key PS5 features (albeit the key features that differentiate itself from the competition or moreso against the PS4, the improvements or vision of PS5, not features that are commonplace to all, like VRS)…….I do think there's a lot we don't know about PS5 yet, even specs and hardware....PS4 PRO had 1 GB for swapping apps, it had a media chip and also CB hardware......I think when they detail the OS and features we will get even more info on other aspects, especially what powers the OS and media features in hardware.....Jim Ryan said the most important features has not been unveiled yet, Schreier speaks about the impressive OS features, which I think will contain an emulator for prior PS3/PS2/PS1...…..The controller will be another piece of hardware that will be an impressive unveiling based on their innovations there, their new camera will be something amazing too.....All of that is hardware and of course all the ports the PS5 will come with, it's Wifi, it's VR port and what that will mean when they debut PSVR2, which is also an interesting piece of hardware I'm looking forward too.....

So yes, there's a lot they still have to unveil, it would never make sense to reveal everything now as there's still lots of time ahead....They need to keep some impressive stuff closer to their chest before launch......In hindsight, I'm glad they chose to do their TF reveal after MS did theirs, get people talking about the TF wars now, and as you can see people are already beginning to see that TF is not everything in the next gen war because of all the custom engineering on PS5....The scope of discussion is much larger, because the consoles are designed quite differently, so discussion is even more potent now...….Devs, forumners are all engaging.....It's nice to see as opposed to people who just wanted to conclude my console is greater than yours because of a higher TF number, they now see it's just not so simple this time....
It Sounds like PS5 "Geometrie Engine" can close the gap and maybe Because of it ps5 will have even some advantages over xbox Sx besides of SSD speed

Imtjnotu

I thought the Geometrie Engine is Standard RDNA2 Feature

So is the Geometrie Engine Custom Sony Feature exclusiv to PS5? 🤔
GCN had geometry engines. Sony's version of it is proprietary I'm guessing because it doesn't function like the ones from gcn or rdna 1

"The console developer also plans to use new auto-rendering technology, called a geometry engine, which performs "primitive shading." This allows the game to "synthesize geometry on the fly, as it's being rendered." This will allow a smoothly-varying level of detail, improvement of particle effects, and other special effects. "

Niked

Interesting read! But the conclusions was he had no idea wohm will perform better but all the upsides in the text was leaning towards playstation.. Strange

Imagine the meltdown... when a PS5 exclusive looks better than Halo Infinite and any other MS exclusive at launch and throughout the gen?
Unless RT is really so much superior on SeX, the art gonna do most of the job on the machines at this point.
Gears 6 won't look so much better than Uncharted 6 because of more pixels, it's idiotic only to think this honestly.
If MS studios' artists can pull out crazy shit like Ghost of Tsushima then it's another story.

Last edited:

kareemna

It's also my assumption that the 36 compute units - the same as Pro - is linked to helping devs get up to speed with the new platform as quickly as possible.

At the start of the presentation, Cerny talked about the 1-2 months for PS4 but for PS5 they are aiming for 0-1 month. Probably only applicable to the bigger 3rd party studios.

Highly possible given his own metric, the time to triangle, is nearly a month now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The bandwidth feeds 52 CU, so 560/52 .....per CU....Ps5 has better bandwidth per CU>

Then if the slow ram is used in game, Xbox is slower when using slower RAM, and it has 12 TF power to feed.

Dont get me wrong, Ps5 is constrained with 448, they both look highly suspect.

I think they will both be bandwidth constrained heavily and may perform with similar handicaps....is my wild guess.

Does it depends how good the compression is ? I no idea, but its interesting and not clear cut at all,

What a wasted opportunity that HBM2 was, but probably needs bigger die? Juice 1TB/s!!!

F9vs05O.png

So my impression is that Sony has removed almost all unnecessary-redundant tasks from the CPU/GPU so it can focus on graphics processing indirectly.

In other words, it 'frees up' the CPU/GPU and prevents it from being idle waiting for information to be fed. And the information that you are feeding the CPU/GPU is exclsuve to Graphics and sound and not to managing data, keep tabs of things and all of that. That is fine and dandy, but to say XsX doesn't do that is truly disingenuous.

Unless RT is really so much superior on SeX, the art gonna do most of the job on the machines at this point.
Gears 6 won't look so much better than Uncharted 6 because of more pixels, it's idiotic only to think this honestly.
If MS studios' artists can pull out crazy shit like Ghost of Tsushima then it's another story.

They had 512MB of unified Ram, a bigger and superior GPU in the 360 era... didn't pull of Uncharted 2 or 3, or Gran Turismo 5 or 6. Not any other PS3 looker.

Forza Apex on PC at it's highest settings doesnt look as great as GT Sport on PS4 Pro. etc

The excuse was always down to coding to the metal and DX as an API. I dont always believe it's art direction, sometimes as great as their new DX APi Is.. ICE team is one step ahead with tools. I expect that will continue next generation.

Q

Quezacotl

Unconfirmed Member
Can the PS5 do 4K at 60 frames locked at the minimum?

Games like Horizon, Spiderman, and God of War 2.

I like the way Microsoft has been delivering their next gen message since the Game Awards and I like what they’re doing with the Game Pass so I might get a XSeX early next year. My biggest question mark is their first party for now.

Where as Sony has the first party games and exclusives but the PS5 as of right now feels like a question mark.

kyliethicc

It also wasn't mentioned how much of the RAM would be taken by the OS though either, so chances are high that it doesn't concern devs. Meaning the OS RAM footprint won't encroach on the 16GB of GDDR6 at all. I personally think it would be a waste of money and resources to give any of the GDDR6 to the OS. Maybe I'm wrong and a game dev does need to know what the OS situation is even if it's a separate RAM pool but I'm failing to see why.

4GB of LPDDR4 would probably cost less than a $2, and has a maximum bandwidth of ~400MB/s. Definitely enough for the OS and would mean the OS could sit in RAM at all times. There is zero need for 448GB/s GDDR6 for the OS, it's total overkill.

I doubt just DRAM would cut it. Cerny said when they added a GB of DDR3 to the PS4 Pro for OS, they could still only give developers 5.5 GB out of 8. So even when they added 1 GB of more RAM, they still could only give devs 0.5 GB of GDDR5. Cerny said they needed the other half of that GB for running the menus and OS in native 4k.

Hopefully they can give devs 14 GB and only need 2 GB of the GDDR6 to run the OS, plus say 2 GB of DDR4. I highly doubt the PS5 will give devs all 16. He compared in his talk the 16 for PS5 to the 8 for PS4. He never said “from just 5 GB on PS4” (which is what devs had) and therefore we can assume when he said 16, he is simply using the total. Not how munch devs will get. Just like Microsoft said 16 GB, but can only give devs 13.5.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
ZOpZES3.png

Firstly, the total XSX memory bandwidth will never drop below 448 GB / s (560 - 112 = 448, 336 + 112 = 448). They have a common bus.
There should be at least equality of both. Although XSX can be mined more profitably in some cases.

kN4vLWB.png

Again, PS5 will be forced to share the bandwidth between the GPU and CPU, then the performance separately for the GPU and CPU will inevitably decrease.
Secondly, adding to red (bad) - a slower, but still sufficient fast SSD - is unjustified.
Kind of amazing that Pixel Fill and texture fill rates are so close between these two consoles. Also current gen had PS4 with double the ROPs of the XO. Ouch.

psorcerer

Banned
P psorcerer stated that if any of the 6GB gets used then all the RAM will function at the reduced bandwidth. I personally doubt that's true myself, but if that is the case, then that's a serious limitation.

It will probably not affect anything much.
Similar issue with GF 970 split memory pool, resulted in 1-3% perf degradation over full-speed pool.
And the difference in speed between pools were huge, like 5x slower.
Here we have only 40% slower pool.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Imagine the meltdown... when a PS5 exclusive looks better than Halo Infinite and any other MS exclusive at launch and throughout the gen?
That’s because Xbox isn’t making any next gen games for years. Halo Infinite isn’t next gen. It’s current gen, just like CyberPunk 2077 and The Last of Us Part 2. It’s just getting an up res port for next gen hardware. Just like lots of games.

kareemna

Kind of amazing that Pixel Fill and texture fill rates are so close between these two consoles. Also current gen had PS4 with double the ROPs of the XO. Ouch.

Pixel fill rate is close because as i reiterated from Cerny he says once you increase the clock rate on your GPU the accompanying components except memory will have the same clock.

My question though is from where did S SamWeb get those data?

I doubt just DRAM would cut it. Cerny said when they added a GB of DDR3 to the PS4 Pro for OS, they could still only give developers 5.5 GB out of 8. So even when they added 1 GB of more RAM, they still could only give devs 0.5 GB of GDDR5. Cerny said they needed the other half of that GB for running the menus and OS in native 4k.

Hopefully they can give devs 14 GB and only need 2 GB of the GDDR6 to run the OS, plus say 2 GB of DDR4. I highly doubt the PS5 will give devs all 16. He compared in his talk the 16 for PS5 to the 8 for PS4. He never said “from just 5 GB on PS4” (which is what devs had) and therefore we can assume when he said 16, he is simply using the total. Not how munch devs will get. Just like Microsoft said 16 GB, but can only give devs 13.5.
Yes but that was 10 years ago, it will be more difficult to distinguish very high profile games IMHO.

Shmunter

P psorcerer stated that if any of the 6GB gets used then all the RAM will function at the reduced bandwidth. I personally doubt that's true myself, but if that is the case, then that's a serious limitation.
It’s quite simple, picture these two RAM read scenarios over 5 seconds for some game....

560gb read
560gb read
560gb read
560gb read
560gb read
Total data transfer in 5 sec = 2,800gb
Avg data transfer in 5 sec = 560gb/s

560gb read
336gb read
336gb read
560gb read
336gb read
Total data transfer in 5 sec = 2,128Gb
Avg data transfer in 5 sec = 425.6Gb/s

You can see depending how much data reading you do from what area directly effects the overall avg data rate. This is why you’ll see lots of references to low frequency data being stored in the slow ram. Low frequency = not accessed as often. You don’t want to use that often, it’s poison to performance.

Frankly no idea how this can be managed, especially for any kind of predictable results. You feel me?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom