• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

QfvQ67m.png

RT188zS.png

3a2e9a159b767c2ce5a9223f53a1651620200403191552.jpg

8b3a09d70bec630694d1fc89dec93c2f20200403191552.jpg

That is fucking great, but it isn't something that is supposed to be only on SeX right now?

SonGoku

I'm not saying it's cheap, but that it's probably within a reasonable budget. I think it unlikely their cooling solution is being pushed to the extreme, as even the cap on the gpu was due to logical stability of operations not due to heat concerns. The cap due to stability of logical operations suggest if those were stable at higher clocks the thermal solution could handle even higher clocks.
Im not saying the cooling solution will be pushed to its limit either since they want it to run quiet. PSU is always in excess its the cooling solution that limits SoC power delivery
For example the PS4 Pro had a 310W PSU and XBONEX 245W and the XBONEX drawed more power from the wall 200-190W vs 160-150W.
Pro could be clocked higher but was limited by its cooling solution

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Wow, just catching up on this thread, sheds a tear…..Most of these guys in that list I'm familiar with, have attacked me heavily. Lort crusaded for me to get banned he asked the mods to put it to a vote, lol.....I've been saying this for so long, the actions of many of the XBOX fans are all planned, they always come in packs, always attack in packs, spam likes and dislikes in packs to certain posters and of course spam the report button in packs to get people they disagreed with banned...…..I always knew and said just, because it was quite blatant.....Cheers to the leakers who brought this all to us....

Funny enough, but lots of these guys were and are on GAF, maybe lately some have got banned, but they've been tenting here as well and carrying out their crusades here just the same...

First off, who is MistahS? Sounds familiar...….I mean really familiar???

I know code he coined up DriveClub "the corridor racer"

Shepshal, so glad you could come and clear up things for us. I have a few questions:

1) Monkeypunch said you guys knew about the github leaks before everyone else. Hmqqq confirmed this. How long before everyone else? Is that why klobrie and colbert were so confident in the 36 cu predictions?
2) How did Colbert and DBB know about the PS5 tflops before the Cerny meeting. I am not implying anything, but DF was the only source that got a briefing in advance.
3) This might seem completely unrelated and out of left field, but When did Dictator join?
4) Amidst this shitstorm, you should open your doors to people who can take part in that discord and report back to the masses that you arent the shitheads everyone is making you guys out to be. Can I get an invite?

Bonus Question:
Why do you guys try and ban everyone by first going into PS threads, starting shit and then mass reporting everyone who takes the bait? Isnt that a shitty thing to do?
Baiting, attacking posters and mass reporting them in droves, the whole clique, these are things they did on GAF too.....Their tactics are universal across forums...
Lol. I guess we can't rely too much on DF for a fair comparison...
That has been clear since last gen...….40P differences was a world away, the FF13 meltdown was huge, balanced console, framerate is king (because AC unity) to... is resolution really important, to now.. resolution is the most important thing...the sub par framerates are playable, the type of framerates that presented lots of judder before are now perfectly playable now....
Nah, Richard and the other guy (Dark1X) are still cool and you can actually see their enthusiasm when talking about PS5 details. Alex on the other hand has made it very clear that he is not a playstation fan, so don't expect him saying good stuff.
The apple does not fall too far from the tree.....Dictator is more of a PC guy than an XBOX guy, but he prefers XBOX over PS.....However, all of this started with Leadbetter, he was the one pushing bias tones in his narratives for years, he clearly prefers MS and has a strong tie to them and Sega before that.....Remember all the Sega games went to OG XBOX back then, it was a natural evolution.....

You cant work for Leadbetter and not follow the tune, if Alex was only a partial XBOX fan he has become a stronger one now and everybody has to tow the line....You could see in every video, pretty much all of them including John takes swipes at PS, they joke about it easily, John may be the least of them but he participates as well, it's part of their culture......Thomas Morgan is dye in the wool, he's been at DF for a while and so he pretty much knows what Leadbetter expects and what angles they should use to get another XBOX exclusive reveal.....I swear, just listen to any XBOX ONE X video, Thomas Morgan says XBOX-ONE-X a million times in every video, you swear he is getting paid 100 bucks per mention......

Thing is, in all of these guys, I have least issues with Leadbetter...I know his history, I've seen how Giddy he gets every-time he mentions XBOX, so I can't fault him....Is those guys who pretend they are neutral and have no bias, when it's clear is the big issue. Like Dictator, he has never fooled anyone....I think the rest can be pegged back if they are honest with themselves......But on John, I've seen John dial down on praising the best looking Sony first party games significantly as the gen progressed, but that Gears 4 piece was a straight ad-piece.....and look now, no one is praising Gears 4 for graphics at the end of this gen.

Actually he provided a piece of info that we have not heard before. And I hope this can clean the 9TF FUD, at least in this thread.

Mark Cerny (DF Interview):
Yeah, but that was just Cerny explaining what he had already said in the GDC presentation.....This was just clarification for Leadbetter, who still has lots of questions on the high clocks, BC, VRS......He was pretty much doubting everything....

This thread is dead

Sony should have just went with 15TF and 24GB Ram.

People would have been a lot happier.
If Sony did that, that XBOXERA discord would be more of an insane asylum.....There would be mass sepukku….Think of your fellow-men.....They are just struggling now at understanding the potential of the customized PS5 hardware, so there's mass panic and hysteria from their end.....It's quite telling how organized and active they have been all along...…...Yet they were so desperate for numbers, they let anyone in to join their crusade.....I never got my invite sadly...:messenger_beaming:
What kind of reconstruction technique Sony and Microsoft will have theirs consoles so in this way the can compete with DLSS of Nvidia ? :goog_unsure:
CheckerBoard Rendering 2.0...….It will improve.....AMD is not done with the Fidelity FX suite which has Radeon Image Sharpening and AI image algorithms.....Who knows what Sony has for us on the OS level, they did supersampling, choose your resolution get better framerates, they did boosting, they did Shareplay and Remoteplay…...I think their OS will pack a punch for many neat features overall...Rumor has it, there are a lot of surprises there....
Same author, same FUD.

VEO2ScV.jpg

y6bBEoW.jpg

I bet it's the same group of fanboys repeating the 2016 FUD in 2020
I swear, this guy probably burnt his PRO with a small torch...….The lengths they would go, clearly evident by these Discord leaks is untold...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I find it hilarious console games are fighting over 4k60 native and blades of grass in the distance...and PC gamers are looking at upscaling techniques.

Its a crazy world lol, you would think there is a pandemic !

/s yeah i know RT...but still funny
Lol ironic but good. I hope both Sony and MS use reconstruction techniques. Hopefully cernys checkerboard 2.0 sees a similar bump in quality

ethomaz

Banned
I find it hilarious console games are fighting over 4k60 native and blades of grass in the distance...and PC gamers are looking at upscaling techniques.

With 540p demos running at 80fps :D

HawarMiran

Banned

that footage is ray-traced btw if I listened correctly. Deeplearning will propell us so far into the future man. I can't wait
Edit: The one in the forest

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
That is fucking great, but it isn't something that is supposed to be only on SeX right now?

DLSS is a nvidia technology that uses the tensors cores of the RTX cards.

The XseX will use DirectML from DirectX12 which is managed via shaders, that's good but it won't be worth DLSS 2.0.

Last edited:
On the pc side, we've seen videos showing little difference between pcie nvme and sata ssds when it comes to games. We don't know why that is. Lack of optimization? Bottlenecks? If it is bottlenecks, Cerny says there are a lot of them, and we don't know how the series x compares on that front regards the ssd i/o.

It's a lot to do with lack of optimization. Keep in mind most games on PC still code expecting platter-based HDDs as the default, and those can only go but so fast and operate differently to SSDs. If SSDs were the standard on PC you would see a lot more games like Star Citizen, taking advantage of SSDs directly.

I'm expecting both systems to address a lot of those bottlenecks, though they might take different approaches. But lack of SSDs being a standard default on PCs and even consoles ('till the new ones come out) is definitely a factor why you see little gains between PCIe NVMe drives and SATA SSDs.

I meant 16Gbps chips for PS5 and 14Gbps 2GB chips for Sex since it already has a wider bus.
PS5-> 16GB @512GB/s
SEX-> 20GB @560GB/s

Yeah I was aware of that, thinking of it. But I was also working under the idea that more memory bandwidth would benefit both systems if they went with faster chips, because I've looked into 16 Gbps GDDR6 module pricing for Micron chips on wholesaler sites and even there (where they are selling for profit), I didn't think $110 or so for 16 GB or 20 GB would've been a lot for MS or Sony to justify, but apparently it is.

And again, that's $110 or so at wholesale price; at the volumes MS and Sony buy it'd be much lower I assume. But yeah, if PS5 did bump up the RAM to 16 Gbps and XSX kept the SSD the same, they'd need to bump their RAM up to 16 Gbps too in order to keep pace because then you're looking at a system that appears quite badly bandwidth starved relative its GPU output compared to PS5 on perceived value.

They would probably still stick with 1 GB / 2 GB mixed modules though so still the same "split" (not really split in the traditional sense like DDR/GDDR on PC or memory systems in older consoles like PS2, PS3, Saturn, SNES etc. or even XBO with the DDR3/ESRAM split), and still 16 GB of physical memory. Only other justification for 14 Gbps modules in that scenario is if they upped the amount to 20 GB but I don't think 16 GB GDDR6 is a bad amount for either system honestly.

DLSS is a nvidia technology that uses the tensors cores of the RTX cards.

The XseX will use DirectML from DirectX12 which is managed via shaders, that's good but it won't be worth DLSS 2.0.

It probably won't be, but IIRC MS are adding modifications to the CUs in their GPU for compute-orientated tasks and AI/ML purposes. So that might be part of the reason: to try getting it somewhere on competitive level with DLSS 2.0.

Would certainly benefit AMD in the PC space if DirectML is competitive in that regard vs. Nvidia; getting it baked into the hardware with, say, future GPU cards would also suggest at the hardware level it could be a feature AMD is standardizing so Sony could make their own API to tap into it for PS5. So in that sense it would also bode well for Sony.

Last edited:

Deto

Banned
I swear, this guy probably burnt his PRO with a small torch...….The lengths they would go, clearly evident by these Discord leaks is untold...

at the time, i figured i would be an xbox fanboy burning ps4 pro and posting on the internet. After the Discord prints, I'm sure and it must have been there that they launched the idea and encouraged some idiot to ruin his own video game to do FUD

I don't care about 4K or 60FPS. All I want are games that are 1080P and 30FPS that are truly photorealistic. This is going to be challenging because we are so deep in the uncanny valley. I also don't think many developers will try because it is far cheaper for them to just push the resolution and frame rate so they don't have to spend as much money onto making the game photorealistic.

Banned
I don't care about 4K or 60FPS. All I want are games that are 1080P and 30FPS that are truly photorealistic. This is going to be challenging because we are so deep in the uncanny valley. I also don't think many developers will try because it is far cheaper for them to just push the resolution and frame rate so they don't have to spend as much money onto making the game photorealistic.

it's also just better for the gameplay you know... to push for framerate...

It's almost like games are meant to be played not watched

SonGoku

They would probably still stick with 1 GB / 2 GB mixed modules though so still the same "split" (not really split in the traditional sense like DDR/GDDR on PC or memory systems in older consoles like PS2, PS3, Saturn, SNES etc. or even XBO with the DDR3/ESRAM split), and still 16 GB of physical memory. Only other justification for 14 Gbps modules in that scenario is if they upped the amount to 20 GB but I don't think 16 GB GDDR6 is a bad amount for either system honestly.
I would assume a 20GB pool @560GB/s has more advantages, keep in mind split pool systems like PS3 & PC didn't share bandwidth, on the SEX configuration whenever CPU access the "slow pool" some cycles are wasted with the end result being more bandwidth used than its actually needed, the example given on ree was that for 48GB/s of CPU access it would take 80GB/s total bandwidth.

On top of that having a bigger pool of fast bandwidth would be more flexible and advantageous as a buffer that way devs would push the PS5 SSD harder to keep up.
Regardless of what they choose i'l be happy with a upgrade.

SlimySnake

Well to be honest I put you on ignore for that for a while at least since your meltdowns sounded like coming from a hardcore xbox fan intent on making fun of PS5 no matter the sound reasons behind those design and architecture decisions. You became unreasonable in an instant when your dreams got crushed hahahah. But I'm happy you came to your senses, decided to trust Cerny and learn the reasons of their decisions. It seems some PS fans now live in fear in these forums so much so that they have to downplay their expectancies, so that after a reveal they can defend their positions like you before the event. There is no reason for that, at least there shouldn't be in these forums. Mods do really work harder and neutrally during these times.
yeah, sometimes i forget that not everyone knows my post history. ive been in that thread for years now and have been fighting off xbox era discord for just as long. i mean colbert put me on ignore and told timdog to broadcast it to his 16k followers. i should wear that as a badge of honor.

i actually expected 9 tflops or 13. i was 50-50 going in, but i stuck with 13-14 tflops because i refused to leave my team 14 tflops in the dust. ask agnostic, he asked me that morning what i was expecting and i told him 9 or 11 or 13. it could go either way. looking at their thermal budget, they couldve easily hit 13 with 52 CUs and 2.0 ghz and come at around the same tdp as this 2.23 ghz 36 cu gpu so it couldve definitely happened due to their cooling solution.

i still stand by my initial criticisms, but after being talked off the ledge by thuway, watching the coretech video and this latest cerny interivew has given me hope. im a lot more optimistic now but cerny shouldve shown a demo or two. look at how well the nvidia guys demo'd the new DLSS upgrades. so simple and so effective. if the multiplatform games will indeed have better character models, better environmental detail and more detail overall, then i will bow down and call cerny my master.

EliteSmurf

Here's a cross-post from the last of us delayed thread hat I think is possibly worth mentioning in here. I honestly don't know what is going on anymore at Sony PlayStation and how everything could go bad so fast if this is all true.
Can you at least tell us who this guy is ?

Here's a cross-post from the last of us delayed thread hat I think is possibly worth mentioning in here. I honestly don't know what is going on anymore at Sony PlayStation and how everything could go bad so fast if this is all true.

Man this is trash at the highest level. The game is delayed because there’s something wrong with it? “A guy you know” is saying the hearing issues with the PS5 are true? ‘Sony is doomed’ is true and you don’t know how so much can go wrong? Like the more I read your post, the more fake it becomes, especially since none of this was even be talked about before that garbage ass rumor that popped up yesterday. Like come on, is anyone else reading this?

THEAP99

Banned
Man this is trash at the highest level. The game is delayed because there’s something wrong with it? “A guy you know” is saying the hearing issues with the PS5 are true? ‘Sony is doomed’ is true and you don’t know how so much can go wrong? Like the more I read your post, the more fake it becomes, especially since none of this was even be talked about before that garbage ass rumor that popped up yesterday. Like come on, is anyone else reading this?
I am not trying to sound like a fear monger or anything, but this dude seems confident and was right before (or maybe a good guesser). that is why I said "if this is true"

he is his tweet. can look back through his other ones and see how accurate he is. i remember him specifically telling me back in the beginning of dec that horizon will be going to PC, and even the uncharted collection at some point within the next year

That was already leaked by some Russian journalist back in early december last year:

It was also leaked by 4chan as well. Some poster on Ree (speshal ed) tried to pass himself as an insider by using the 4chan leak and said it will be announced at the vga's (and when it didn't he was like, "oh well, still coming!") when Jason from Kotaku finally confirmed the rumor later on, the discord crew tried to make him out like some kind of prophet (don't doubt ed!)

Last edited:

farmerboy

Relax.

Every single thing that Sony is doing or is happening to them is getting a negative spin on the internet.

Its like a version of shock and awe. Just continual bombardment of negative press. Some for hits but it's so prevalent at the moment, that I must consider that some of it's coordinated.

You know what, the xbots kept saying that MS was playing for keeps this time. Interesting .

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is nonsense because the devs don't even have to worry about heating problems. They have a dev kit.
this. the ps5 literally caps the gpu and cpu clocks to prevent them from going above their cooling's tdp budget. this is nonsense.

cerny clarified that the devkits have fixed clocks which is why they might be running hot. the variable clocks in the final version should not have any heating issues.

B_Boss

I am not trying to sound like a fear monger or anything, but this dude seems confident and was right before (or maybe a good guesser). that is why I said "if this is true"

What do ya know, more PS FUD unfortunately. Not blaming you APP99, but wittingly or not, the more this uncorroborated (potentially) misinformation is spread around, the more it could result is FUD concerning a console that, oddly enough many seem to know more and less all at once lol...

Last edited:
this. the ps5 literally caps the gpu and cpu clocks to prevent them from going above their cooling's tdp budget. this is nonsense.

cerny clarified that the devkits have fixed clocks which is why they might be running hot. the variable clocks in the final version should not have any heating issues.

Yeah I just cannot envision any sort of scenario where Devs would be scrambling to get their games working because a dev kit is supposedly overheating all the time. Even going OUTSIDE of Sony to get help. Makes zero sense.

It's completely ridiculous FUD.

And we just had an insider on here the other day saying that PS5 is running cool and quiet.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
What do ya know, more PS FUD unfortunately. Not blaming you APP99, but wittingly or not, the more this uncorroborated (potentially) misinformation is spread around, the more it could result is FUD concerning a console that, oddly enough many seem to know more and less all at once lol...
it is has just been weird for sony recently honestly. hasn't really felt like they've have good news in a while. i mean, the way they're treating the whole virus situation is great they are donating 100 million dollars and taking care of their employees is great newsto look over that. it would just be so nice for me to have tlou2 in my hands and know what the ps5 design is. i think it would put a lot of anxiousness off of people's shoulders. but who even knows anymore, may get delayed.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
it is has just been weird for sony recently honestly. hasn't really felt like they've have good news in a while. i mean, the way they're treating the whole virus situation is great they are donating 100 million dollars and taking care of their employees is great newsto look over that. it would just be so nice for me to have tlou2 in my hands and know what the ps5 design is. i think it would put a lot of anxiousness off of people's shoulders. but who even knows anymore, may get delayed.
sorry i don't know what is happening but when I go to edit a message, it like highlights one letter and when type something it deletes one. not sure what's going on but that is why my messages are messy. overall, point is, people seem to not view sony in a positive light recently and this is taken advantage of by this bad news rumors about ps5

THEAP99

Banned

wow I know I left twitter earlier because I want avoid last of us spoilers, but I feel obligated to get back on and call him out for his BS. They literally gave the game a release date a month ago for ps4. it is a ps4 game, built from the ground up. pre orders are up for the ps4 version. wow that is some bs if I heard some

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Nice to see you went from random youtube comments to random twitter posts :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I just want to make it clear that I'm actually rooting for PlayStation. I like PlayStation more than I like Xbox; so, I'm not posting these things to increase FUD about the PS5 but to let you guys know about these rumors since they're relevant to the topic of this thread and also because they have me somewhat worried.

Sony's problem is that they've been so silent and cryptic about a lot of stuff that they've allowed these fake MS insiders to run wild with all sorts of doom and gloom speculation on PS5. That's all it is.

Once they put on a PROPER show like the 2013 PSM meeting, show the hardware, show the UI, show the DS5, show the next gen exclusives looking better than anything on the market, these idiots will shut up.

They want to harken back to the glory days when Sony massively fucked up the launch of the PS3 @ 599, a year later, and worse for multiplats. Basically a trifecta of a fuck up to set up the narrative of some glorious return to form for Xbox global domination.

its-not-enough-that-i-should-succeed-others-should-fail-quote-1.jpg

Last edited:

Deto

Banned
he is his tweet. can look back through his other ones and see how accurate he is. i remember him specifically telling me back in the beginning of dec that horizon will be going to PC, and even the uncharted collection at some point within the next year

LOL

Attention whore

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Sony's problem is that they've been so silent and cryptic about a lot of stuff that they've allowed these fake MS insiders to run wild with all sorts of doom and gloom speculation on PS5. That's all it is.

Once they put on a PROPER show like the 2013 PSM meeting, show the hardware, show the UI, show the DS5, show the next gen exclusives looking better than anything on the market, these idiots will shut up.

They want to harken back to the glory days when Sony massively fucked up the launch of the PS3 @ 599, a year later, and worse for multiplats. Basically a trifecta of a fuck up to set up the narrative of some glorious return to form for Xbox global domination.

I agree. i still am a bit lost on why the hell they went about the whole road to ps5 spec reveal thing as they did. it sure disappointed a lot of people.

DLSS 2.0 is really something. Someone said it is Nvidia technology because of Tensor Cores. In a certain point of view that is correct. But what they are doing is essentially Neural Network Super Sampling and that is something that uses INT4 and INT8 operations in the hardware. Tensor Cores are special cores that can easily accelerate INT4 INT8 and Floating Point 16, so do not get fooled by naming conventions Nvidia is famous for.

Now for consoles this may still be possible as AMD has introduced full rate INT4 and INT8 support in RDNA2 architecture. The rest is up to manufacturer's support and their use case of APIs and of course finally distinct algorithms used to teach AI super sampling. We kind of know MS' side of things -> DirectX 12 Machine Learning (ML for short). We don't know if that is the same thing or can be used in a same way we don't know yet, however I believe it does. On PS5 side there are more unknowns however the architecture support is there. At the base level both console can support it as it is in RDNA2 architecture.

As far as I know (as the new architecture is mostly unknown by mostly everyone) there is just one caveat between Nvidia use case and AMD's. For Nvidia -> Tensor Cores are completely separate specific hardware that is doing DLSS. This is different than their FP32 SMs that is doing normal rasterization.

For AMD (and that's my knowledge and might be wrong) -> the hardware as a whole becomes capable of those operations, so CUs will process Machine Learning Super Sampling, but that means some portion has to be devoted to those operations. This is true for RDNA 2 unless they also have specialized hardware specifically acceleration those operations.

farmerboy

Exactly. Fucking. This.

I just want to make it clear that I'm actually rooting for PlayStation. I like PlayStation more than I like Xbox; so, I'm not posting these things to increase FUD about the PS5 but to let you guys know about these rumors since they're relevant to the topic of this thread and also because they have me somewhat worried.
stop posting clear and blatant FUD pls

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Go first, go second doesn't matter, then stop spreading clear and blatant FUD pls... Also it is not relevant if it is FUD to begin with. So again stop or get ignored.

Look, man, we've got to know what the malicious fanboys are up to; their actions, as is evident by the numerous articles and YouTube videos that have been made, have a profound effect on the gaming community.

It's relevant to the topic of this thread, whether it's true or not. Furthermore, I posted that tweet because another user had already posted another tweet from that tweeter.

I'm not backseat modding as you have every right to post what you want but you should also be prepared to take some criticism for it as well.

Seriously, before you posted a youtube comment? You realize that's the lowest form of communication through social media? Nobody takes youtube comments seriously, not even youtube. For rumors, it's actually less reputable than pastebin, if that was possible.

I don't know who that twitter account but considering how big twitter is in general, it's a fair question to ask who is this person & why they are relevant. Whether it is positive or FUD. If that same Twitter account said PS5 will be $299 due to Cerny's brilliant engineering prowess, I would be asking the same questions.

Last edited:

splattered

You guys need to chill and stop getting so upset. You have confidence in the ps5 so just hold onto that and be patient.

You actually DONT KNOW if Sony is having overheating problems or not so stop defending it so hard. Just laugh it off.

If it happens it happens, if it doesnt then great. Hopefully we dont have to wait until june to find out more info though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom