• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am in agreement, however didn't Cerny say it will contain no GPU properties like a CU? That it's more an SPU like in the Cell, which then I suppose could be used for other things besides audio if they are allowed to. SPUs were able to do adaptive tesselation as an example.

Yes, he literally pointed that out: (timestamped, my 13,000,001 view S scie :lollipop_tears_of_joy: )

Can be used for other game assets by the devs.

I already told you, game development takes place on Pcs. If you develop games on Pc FOR consoles (Like GTA5, RDR2) that's a different topic, but you don't use a PS4 for game development, aside from optimization, all of that takes place on Pc, its a fact.
If you tell me something you are not proving something, just show me where did you took this fact. Honestly, I'm trying to force you to post an actual proof of your own argument (instead of a vague pool) simply because I would like to close this topic without fights but with solid statements for once, and call it a day instead of going in circles.

RaySoft

Is it going to be 120%? I doubt it. Considering that both have a separate hardware for decompression, no one will be using the decompressed data. It's all going to be compressed. So the difference will be between the 4.8GB/s and the 8-9GB/s, which translates to 67% - 88% difference. Still a big difference. But, we still don't know what they are actually depicting here. It could be a lot bigger or a lot smaller... There are 4 possibilities...

1) Both the XSX and PS5 are sequential read
2) The XSX is sequential and the PS5 is random read
3) The PS5 is sequential and the XSX is random read
4) Both the XSX and PS5 are random read

Considering that even in simple tests for current PCI-E 4.0 SSDs, only sequential reads pass the 4GB/s mark, it is highly likely that the given PS5 spec is sequential read, meaning it will not be representative of actual transfer speeds. The same applies for the XSX. And more importantly, value for sequential reads is not a guarantee for high values in random reads... Use this as a reference;
random-read.png
sequential-read.png

And lastly, remember that we're talking about the I/O. Games will have to work with an additional SSD as well. So technically, the same I/O should be able to handle multiple storage devices, meaning, the games will never be programmed for the max I/O speed, simply because it could technically be cut in half if you have a second SSD that wants to load something at the same time.

Edit: I should add this, since most people don't know how to convert it... But, the fastest result in here, the 73788 IOPS from the ADATA SX8200 Pro, is actually just 288MB/s. Compared to the sequential read, it's literally 10 times slower. This is a worst case scenario, so we should expect at least 500 MB/s from these SSDs for games... But don't delude yourselves into thinking we'll get GB/s in real-time from the consoles.
Why on earth would they operate in rnd speeds? That's almost entirely PC's domain. On a console you can micromanage almost everything, so rnd reads won't happen. Look at what they did on this generation of consoles, where assets where sprinkled throughout the hdd so it could easily be read regardless of where the head was at the given time. That's dedication of optimizing right there. Still people seemingly can't belive that devs still optimizes the shit out of AAA 1st party games. You can still code specific code that runs better on your target without "coding to the metal" or parallelize SPE code.
as I've said many times now.. There are many ways from A to B. Their job is to find the most optimal one.

MS went with std. SSD & controller while Sony dug deeper and strengthened the pipe where it was needed on the cost of stuff that's less needed like rnd read probably. A std. SSD controller has to cater for every scenario (pc real world usage) but an SSD solution on a console doesn't have to be "constrained" in the same vein as PC parts. SO my guess is that the PS5's SSD would suck balls in rnd reads compared to PC or XSX even. But why would that matter if that never would be an issue?

Last edited:
You just basically confirmed with what he says and what you're arguing about the whole time - because of HDD in PCs there won't be much/any changes in the level designs, I said it already weeks ago that whoever believes in absolutely NO loading screens lives in alternate reality, loading screens are here to stay, the difference is that PS5 will have them displayed for for example 3-5s, XBX for 5-7s, and PC anything from half a second to 2min, depending on the specs. Loading screens is what will ensure compatibility with all devices out there, just a single bitmap will allow the publishers to reach entire customer base, no one is leaving all those 150MLN PS4/XB1 users behind, let alone the PC crowd. All those multi-billion dollar companies like EA, Ubi, Acti etc. are multi-billion dollar companies in the first place exactly because they don't follow biased fanboy agendas. The PS5 SSD won't be utilized at its fullest aside PS5 1st party exclusives, but expecting the same from 3rd party publishers is simply bending the reality. I think half a generation with nothing but cross-gens and indie ports still wasn't enough for some to open their eyes an realize how this whole business works and what it is about (spoiler: it's money), I mean, the "PS4 has no games" meme is just 3-4 years old...
Just play FF VII Remake and told me you really believe the level design is not attached to the old HDD is just must
than a loading screen you always believe the dev studios just will put the same games in the next generation only incrementing resolution.

Also always in the beginning is normal to see and intergen games but even then you will see some games only for new gen,

I you will believe all the companies should always release their games only for biggest part of market well we only to said to Microsoft to not
release games to only for xbox one and pc, please also for the old xbox 360 and also you know what the games in pc should run also in a old
hd graphics of intel, also please Nintendo release the new games in Wii and Sony please do the same in PS2 so in this way the market or at
least this companies has people who actually how much money each part of the market spend in the new games and not the people with
and old and weak gpu or with a old console when already exists the new model with a couple of years in the market don't spend too much
money compare to the other sector.

For the most part of the beginning only exclusive will use to close 100% of the potential the SSD of the PS5 we are in that, but in only 3 or 4 years
in pc will exists SSD fast enough to reach and overcome and those games for only PS5 and PC will use it, please don't underestimate how fast a
pc build improve with the past of the years.

And not the business in console market doesn't work as your knowledge of economic basics 1 says, this doesn't apply equals to all the market only
few games use that logic and most of them are free to play just look Riot Games. The studios are stuck in things to do, the publisher saw how some
games sales decreased because the novelty is no longer in your product and your need a refresh between other things.

I am sure people you have under 18 or something because you actually believe the games intergen is the norm for 3 of 4 years, please take your
favorite browser and see the old E3s since 2013 and check how the only new gen titles exponentially increment each year, now do the same since 2005.

I am sure I never will change you opinion so I will not give you more arguments because you actually for some reason hate a brand, I don't see any of
your post saying 'OK I am bad' or 'you had a point' or similar so is clearly you in the forum not for a debate only for show how much you hate
a brand and I am just tired to to try to remember to some people history not theories not specifications ... history and you still denied.

Also another spoiler is not only get money releasing in the biggest market you can is releasing the game for the correct part of the market
in the best way to get their attention.

I just wanna lay the facts of both consoles:

We haven't seen any next gen shit. I am waiting to see Forza Motorsport 8 and Gran Turismo Sport 2/Gran Turismo 7 and other NEXT GEN titles.
Yes we all agree with you and if this continue in this way the people will be more crazy and now think than maybe the virus was part of the plan
of Cerny or Phil or even both are just the same person. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Man I really want to see the new Forza Horizon :messenger_smiling_hearts:

4 vs 8, We're still comparing 2 SSDs.
I already told you, game development takes place on Pcs. If you develop games on Pc FOR consoles (Like GTA5, RDR2) that's a different topic, but you don't use a PS4 for game development, aside from optimization, all of that takes place on Pc, its a fact.
Instead of baiting this thread 24/7 with your meta PCMR crap, why you dont try to learn what is the general knowdge in this thread before posting all that nonsense that you are pushing since yesterday?

Try to educate yourself a bit more and take note from what real experts are saying about the matter:

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Brand new (post-RDNA2) features in the GPU is a first, though. I guess Sony and MS are being extra secretive this time around because it's a new generation.

It makes sense with past prescedent too. Some people are trying to FUD the PS5 into having an RDNA 1.0 GPU, when more than likely it's borrowing a mix of features from the near-future pipeline of AMD, same as Microsoft will be doing.

Could be both since Microsoft haven't shown off their next gen games yet.

Sony hasn't shown anything when it comes to games while Microsoft has already shown HellBlade and Project Mara. If anything Sony has the most to reveal out of the two and I'm expecting a console reveal and a games reveal through a live event. Maybe even a pre-recorded one given the times that we are in.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Switch numbers are low because its sold out basically every where. XB1 being out sold by PS4 to the tune of 3:1 in NA, what? I dunno about his source chief.

That's not on Nintendo, they are constrained by supply chain and logistics issues. Blame human beings, they are shitty because they'll use any opportunity to make quick money. If you think Switch situation is bad, wait till you see some prices of PS5 on eBay in 9 months time.

Sometimes they are xbox owners buying ps4 too, or the other way around. Sometimes they are extra consoles at home, like we had around My PS4 Pro, x3 PS4, PS3, and a dust collector XB1 no one uses. Each with his own console, PS3 with LBP for the kiddos.

And those early PS5 prices, I can see them already, but people previously thought that it's natural to be sold for around $1000 from the shops here, PS1 and Atari 1600 first adopters paied $2600 for each!

Now Sony sees that most US-spec consoles are being redirected to wider markets through black market they decided to change it to a worldwide launch instead lf the strange way they did with PS4. Early US-spec PS4 coming here were between $1300-1170 before 1-Dec-2013 being released for official $470.

Sony hasn't shown anything when it comes to games while Microsoft has already shown HellBlade and Project Mara. If anything Sony has the most to reveal out of the two and I'm expecting a console reveal and a games reveal through a live event. Maybe even a pre-recorded one given the times that we are in.

I know

I mean i expecting both the console and games from Sony, as well as games from Microsoft, since Ninja Theory has been the only one to show off any next-gen games. With the number of developers they have under their wing now, i'd be disappointed if we they show some of the others.

Last edited:
That's Sonys and MSs job, not EAs, not Ubisofts, or anyone else's job for that matter. Publishers don't care about "new tech" they care about sales, and they will put their games on the system that makes the most money
They care a lot since that affect its products, they don't make hardware but that doesn't mean they don't create software
to make the dev work easier and its games can have better graphics or solve some problems in design of the same.

Corndog

Banned
Afaik api's can help reduce overhead to a certain extent speeding up certain workloads depending on how they're implemented and utilised. One game engine might use it in a different way than another. No two engines are ever alike, especially proprietary ones coming from first party studios ,which are bound to use the api itself and its features in a much more streamlined manner since they're supposed to be the ones more familiar with the architecture itself compared to third party studios which could approach it in a different manner. You'll notice the effects of DirectStorage more on first party games than third party games.
All apis are is libraries of computer code. There is nothing special about them. They have many uses but in and of themselves they don’t speed up anything but the process of programming.

Instead of baiting this thread 24/7 with your meta PCMR crap, why you dont try to learn what is the general knowdge in this thread before posting all that nonsense that you are pushing since yesterday?

Try to educate yourself a bit more and take note from what real experts are saying about the matter:

PCMR crap? Wth? Im a console and pc gamer, the fact that games are developed on PCs doesnt have anything to do with that, its just how game development works

Ascend

Why on earth would they operate in rnd speeds? That's almost entirely PC's domain. On a console you can micromanage almost everything, so rnd reads won't happen.
Unless the game is a very narrow tunnel that go into in a single path in one direction, random reads are going to happen regularly. Even if you store things in a sequential manner, the chances of being able to access them in a sequential manner is really small. It's not like you can pick and choose what kind of reading you will do at any given time. The nature of games is that they are dynamic, you have freedom of interaction within the frame of the game, and that is what will produce the randomness of data access. You can't program around this, although there might be some way to slightly mitigate it.

Look at what they did on this generation of consoles, where assets where sprinkled throughout the hdd so it could easily be read regardless of where the head was at the given time. That's dedication of optimizing right there. Still people seemingly can't belive that devs still optimizes the shit out of AAA 1st party games. You can still code specific code that runs better on your target without "coding to the metal" or parallelize SPE code.
as I've said many times now.. There are many ways from A to B. Their job is to find the most optimal one.
HDDs work very differently from SSDs. The only way to increase the SSD speed to reach close to its max capacity is to basically perform sequential reads as much as possible. But that would kind of kill the exact freedom that SSDs are able to provide.

S went with std. SSD & controller while Sony dug deeper and strengthened the pipe where it was needed on the cost of stuff that's less needed like rnd read probably. A std. SSD controller has to cater for every scenario (pc real world usage) but an SSD solution on a console doesn't have to be "constrained" in the same vein as PC parts. SO my guess is that the PS5's SSD would suck balls in rnd reads compared to PC or XSX even. But why would that matter if that never would be an issue?
Not sure what you're getting at here, but, the SSD being slower with random reads than sequential ones is not some sort of software limit nor is it really dependent on platform.

If you had a set distance from A to B, and every meter there is an apple placed on the ground with a sequential number from 2 to 12, it will always be faster to collect all the apples in order, either from 2 to 12 or from 12 to 2, since you will be collecting them in a straight path. But even if they are placed sequentially, if you have to collect the apples in the order of dice rolls, it will always take longer, because you will have to walk a lot more by going back and forth, you will have results of apples you already collected, and it will be a lot longer before you are done. It doesn't matter if the apples are placed on concrete, grass or sand. It will always take longer.

As for the PS5 vs XSX SSD... Maybe you're a much better sprinter than I am for straight lines on a running court, but if we both need to roll the dice to collect all the apples, the difference will be quite a lot smaller.

Last edited:
They care a lot since that affect its products, they don't make hardware but that doesn't mean they don't create software
to make the dev work easier and its games can have better graphics or solve some problems in design of the same.
Yes, especially in the case of the PS3 since that was *such a joy* to develop for. But games are made for money, if they see that a console or platform doesnt have a lot of potential costumers, they will not put their games there, it's simple.

If you tell me something you are not proving something, just show me where did you took this fact. Honestly, I'm trying to force you to post an actual proof of your own argument (instead of a vague pool) simply because I would like to close this topic without fights but with solid statements for once, and call it a day instead of going in circles.
Hey, I dont want to fight either, but you go and ask *anybody*, video games, even console exclusives, are developed primarily on Pcs, thats just how game development works.

14 million people watched the video, if people on hardcore game forums were arguing about it, im sure other gamers found it confusing to.
He compared two GPU's of identical teraflops. If that is not clear enough to certain people, then those people are completely inattentive.

But sure, keep going with your Appeal to Consequences fallacy. Claiming that "some" people "might" get confused has absolutely no effect on the validity of Cerny clearly comparing two video cards of identical theoretical peaks.

You know we're talking about AAA games

Have you deluded yourself to thinking there were hundreds of AAA games that were released in the first few years of the PS4?

Yes or No.
All i'm gonna say is this. Was there a sizable amount of AAA and indie-AA games developed and released as cross-gen games? Yes, will that be the case this gen? Almost certainly yes.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
HDDs work very differently from SSDs. The only way to increase the SSD speed to reach close to its max capacity is to basically perform sequential reads as much as possible.
That's not a SSD difference.
Sequential reads is the only way to get anywhere close to peak read speed on a HDD. Or an optical drive for that matter - basically the entire history of modern consoles (the last 25 years) that's all we've been doing when optimizing for read-speeds - linearizing data access wherever possible.

You're right - SSDs 'are' different though - among other things, this is the first time where parallel data access is not only possible but actually increases throughput.
Less so on PC where I/O stack is inherently suboptimal as it's designed around mechanical drive performance, but this is exactly what the new consoles promise to address with software and hardware stack they are using.

All i'm gonna say is this. Was there a sizable amount of AAA and indie-AA games developed and released as cross-gen games? Yes, will that be the case this gen? Almost certainly yes.

Your side stepping is impressive. I'll give you that.

At the end of the day, doesn't change the fact that the big publishers have had no issue ditching their large install bases for their most expensive games in favour of the technology. They'll do it again this gen, which is why SSDs will be a requirement early in the generation for AAA third party games.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I think that once the SeX and the PS5 are released, PC games of this generation won't be able to run on HDDs. It will be a milestone which will finally be hit. As with consoles, PC gamers will be able to store next-gen games on HDDs, but will need an SSD to play.

It has to happen. Just like HDD became mandatory for PC games to run (and people couldn't play games from CDs or discs anymore), just like Windows became mandatory for PC games to run (and couldn't run anymore in DOS mode), next-gen games will need an SSD to run. It's the only way to make video games exploit the true potential of an SSD.

Say that to VanSiriusGabriel VanSiriusGabriel , he was the one arguing against that obvious fact
I wasn't arguing against in the sense "oh you're so wrong". I said I found it kind of illogical and asked an actual proof, no actual proof was given.
There are very few "obvious and trivial" things in this world, we were able to demonstrate that the Earth wasn't flat only after dozens of thousands of years, it's natural for people to question you if you pretend others to simply accept what you say, no matter how obvious could be.

Your side stepping is impressive. I'll give you that.

At the end of the day, doesn't change the fact that the big publishers have had no issue ditching their large install bases for their most expensive games in favour of the technology. They'll do it again this gen, which is why SSDs will be a requirement early in the generation for AAA third party games.
Do you think EA cares more about "Technology" than money? No? How about Activision? Bethesda? Take 2? Rockstar? No, they don't, all they care about is money. Don't get me wrong, of course they will make games for next gen too, but until that install base is sizable enough, there will still be cross-gen games, just like there always are.

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing against in the sense "oh you're so wrong". I said I found it kind of illogical and asked an actual proof, no actual proof was given.
There are very few "obvious and trivial" things in this world, we were able to demonstrate that the Earth wasn't flat only after dozens of thousands of years, it's natural for people to question you if you pretend others to simply accept what you say, no matter how obvious could be.
I mean, if you knew about game development, you'd know that, but its okay, i dont know a lot of stuff either, and perhaps i was a bit rude, sorry.

Yes, especially in the case of the PS3 since that was *such a joy* to develop for. But games are made for money, if they see that a console or platform doesnt have a lot of potential costumers, they will not put their games there, it's simple.
What are you talking about ? You really think Microsoft and Sony make the new consoles without at least ask to the lead of engineers of the main studios for put an example how to improve the console ?

Looks like you are just unable to see more than one reason at a time for someone to do something or have reasoning thought. I am really tired to try to talk with you I just will ignore you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom