• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rntongo

Banned
What type of decompression is it doing? I'm assuming some form of Zlib if it is attached to the IO for the SSD. BCpack is a form of compression, but as I already mention earlier, its main aim is to allow higher resolution textures (with loss errors) to reside in place of a loseless texure 1/4 of the size. A decompression of lossy textures at the IO doesn't make any sense (IMHO) if that's what they were referring to.
I think for texture data it will use BCPack and for the rest it will use Zlib. It seems MSFT is putting a heavy emphasis on texture data with BCPack and SFS. They could really do some impressive stuff. It’s going to be exciting to see how it compares to the PS5

2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
It's 4.8 just the same as it's 8-9 for PS5.

Those are the numbers that everyone should go with since they are straight from Xbox. If there is an improvement they wont hesitate to change them.

ethomaz

Banned
If I understand it correctly. If the compression is optimal the physical drive itself should be able to obtain those speeds.

But this is assuming that everything is perfect and should not be considered as the average performance.
The drive speed is fixed at 2.4GB/s max.
The compression level defines the output speeds.

MS can reach 4.8GB/s via compression... 6GB2s is just baseless talk.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I think for texture data it will use BCPack and for the rest it will use Zlib. It seems MSFT is putting a heavy emphasis on texture data with BCPack and SFS. They could really do some impressive stuff. It’s going to be exciting to see how it compares to the PS5
From the other things you've said, I think it is BCpack, but where I previously thought BCpack was more lossy DXT, it is just an Xbox variant of Zlib like kraken is. I already said in early posts today that I expect part of the PS5 IO complex co-processor work is transforming block compressed data - like a database balancing a binary tree when the source data being added to the tree is pre-sorted as a list - so the kraken algorithm has disorderly data to compress.

Last edited:

RookX22

Finally the SSD flat circle discussion is over for the time being. What you guys think? Sony going to drop something this Tuesday, when will all the juicy gameplay trailers start dropping from all the developers that have been making games for these next gen consoles?

THE:MILKMAN

Finally the SSD flat circle discussion is over for the time being. What you guys think? Sony going to drop something this Tuesday, when will all the juicy gameplay trailers start dropping from all the developers that have been making games for these next gen consoles?

Please for the love of god they should now show actual real gameplay of next-gen only games. Show us what these consoles are made of.....

ethomaz

Banned
Like I predicted two weeks ago tomorrow I believe it is the day.
21/04

Sony dropping some bombs to hold until May PS5 design reveal.

RookX22

Like I predicted two weeks ago tomorrow I believe it is the day.
21/04

Sony dropping some bombs to hold until May PS5 design reveal.
I hope so, love to just get some 4k gameplay to just watch over and over again. Bring back memories of Gamecube days of just disbelief of photos of Rogue Squadron in a magazine me and my friends bought.

ethomaz

Banned
I hope so, love to just get some 4k gameplay to just watch over and over again. Bring back memories of Gamecube days of just disbelief of photos of Rogue Squadron in a magazine me and my friends bought.
I believe you will see gameplay after May... June probably.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
zzSON3I.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Too much talk about SSD's filled with misinformation, ok let's see what's in hand:

1280px-Playstation_logo_colour.svg.png

PS4 Pro stock read speeds: 116.5-40.4MB/s

PS5 old pre-dev kit, 1 year old, slow version achieved 0.8sec vs 8sec PS4 Pro in Spider-man 2018 game (10x [900%] faster), 0.8 vs 15sec on another test according to WIRED (18x [1700%] faster).

That's equivalent of: ~1.17-0.4GB/s (2.1-0.73GB/s according to WIRED)

1200px-Xbox_logo_2012_cropped.svg.png

Xbox One X stock read speeds: 112.1-36.7MB/s

XSX near-retail version lately achieved 11sec vs 51sec X1X in State of Decay 2 game (4.6x [360%] faster)

That's equivalent of: 0.52-0.17GB/s

courtroom_gavel_judge.jpg

Conclusion: PS5 1-year-old, slow pre-dev kit is 2.25-2.35x [125-135%] faster (4-4.29x [300-329%] faster according to WIRED) than Xbox Series X near-retail version in action, using current solid evidence so far.

How about we seal it from here until we see further evidence/comparisons that we can rely on?

3xgo4v.jpg

Last edited:
You’re grasping at straws because in their videos at DF they mention the 6GB/s. On top of it, we still haven’t heard other things like the DMA controller in the XSX. A developer working on XSX game engine has mentioned that it has one as well. Let’s wait and see what the throughput will be on paper in a month or two.
It can go up to speeds of 6 GB/s. That does not mean that that is the typical case. The fact that Eurogamer did not list 6 GB/s (compressed) in the spec sheet corroborates this. 4.8 GB/s is the typical compressed speed where that number can be increased up to 6 GB/s. Likewise, 8-9 GB/s is the typical Kraken compressed speed where that number can be increased up to 22 GB/s.

6 GB/s is achievable only when developers optimize BCPack provided that the compression isn't lossy. However, that is barely above the raw speed on the PS5 and still below the speeds the PS5 can achieve with decompression of "unoptimized" Kraken-compressed data.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Has this been posted?

Devs speaking out that PS5 is revolutionary, superior to XsX in many ways...

Could XsX become less relevant this gen than xbone last gen as things unfold? No, I do not want that to happen.

Not just him, even Paul who's repeatedly throwing XSX into the praise mix even if it's not the case, seems like an xbox apologist:

(Timestamped)

Last edited:

rntongo

Banned
Same goes for the numbers that Sony gives us. If they manage to improve their SSD software they won't hesitate to update their numbers.
They're using a HW approach to reduce the overhead on the CPU. Don't expect anything like what MSFT is doing. It's their way of doing things. Look at their BC and how they've eliminated bottlenecks in the IO bandwidth. Both paths have pros and cons.

Corndog

Banned
Too much talk about SSD's filled with misinformation, ok let's see what's in hand:

1280px-Playstation_logo_colour.svg.png

PS4 Pro stock read speeds: 116.5-40.4MB/s

PS5 old pre-dev kit, 1 year old, slow version achieved 0.8sec vs 8sec PS4 Pro in Spider-man 2018 game (10x [900%] faster), 0.8 vs 15sec on another test according to WIRED (18x [1700%] faster).

That's equivalent of: ~1.17-0.4GB/s (2.1-0.73GB/s according to WIRED)

1200px-Xbox_logo_2012_cropped.svg.png

Xbox One X stock read speeds: 112.1-36.7MB/s

XSX near-retail version lately achieved 11sec vs 51sec X1X in State of Decay 2 game (4.6x [360%] faster)

That's equivalent of: 0.52-0.17GB/s

courtroom_gavel_judge.jpg

Concolusion: PS5 1-year-old, slow pre-dev kit is 2.25-2.35x [125-135%] faster (4-4.29x [300-329%] faster according to WIRED) than Xbox Series X near-retail version in action, using current solid evidence so far.

How about we seal it from here until we see further evidence/comparisons that we can rely on?

3xgo4v.jpg

Wrong again.

You try to downplay PS5 compression at the same time you overestimate the Xbox one.

There is no 7-9GB/s... stop to made up... there is 8-9GB/s that is what Sony devs got in typical cases.
MS shared 4.8GB/s that already include the use of BCPack... Zlib can’t reach 50% compression sorry.
Why don’t we just stick with both consoles official figures? Treat everything else as unverified speculation. We’ll see what is what once more official info is released. For now there is no doubt ps5

None of that means anything.

Last edited:
They're using a HW approach to reduce the overhead on the CPU. Don't expect anything like what MSFT is doing. It's their way of doing things. Look at their BC and how they've eliminated bottlenecks in the IO bandwidth. Both paths have pros and cons.

From what I have been reading they are using software as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why don’t we just stick with both consoles official figures? Treat everything else as unverified speculation. We’ll see what is what once more official info is released. For now there is no doubt ps5

Of course, what I did was to see how old version PS5 look like in action compared to XSX latest version in action. The closer you get to your SSD numbers, means lesser bottlenecks there, and vice versa.

This situation is like:

• Third party developer: the PS5 can looks in some scenarios even better than XSX
  • Xbox fan: you liar, I am sure Sony bought you
  • Normal gamer: so should we believe in what Xbox PR ?
  • Xbox fan: yes they know the true
  • Normal gamer: but you just said the lied about the SSD bandwidth
  • Xbox fan: yes you are right those bastard want to hurt the company, better believe in people like TimDog he knows things
  • Normal gamer: dude that is fucking stupid
  • Xbox fan: how much Sony paid you ?

We really need games at this rate we will see a stadia as a viable option for the next generation.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Not just him, even Paul who's repeatedly throwing XSX into the praise mix even if it's not the case, seems like an xbox apologist:

(Timestamped)

I love Paul and his channel but calling him an Xbox Apologist could not be more accurate Lmao

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Very true and I would also say it will be an interesting boost for the development of smaller scale games.

I also suspect midgen refreshes will lean heavily on the promise of Ray Tracing as opposed to something as worthless as 8K.

I would agree with all points, but 8K is not worthless :) But let's say it's unnecessary with current hardware capabilities.

I think is interesting this tweets:

-The gaming/tech channels which the dev of SIE thinks are doing are great job
-I am partially agree Sony is not doing the best work in PR stuff
-And yes us as humans love to choose a team/side

This bad PR from Sony side are doing the people actually thinks the raytracing delta will be 40% which
is not real.

And from this tweet please just give us something :lollipop_pensive:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

This bad PR from Sony side are doing the people actually thinks the raytracing delta will be 40% which
is not real.

Matt Hargett
@syke
dad, songwriter, gaymer, husband
@vitesse
, he/him. music: http://ow.ly/XMig30gBJQV code: http://git.io/vF1zY . formerly Principal Software Engineer on PS5.

Shmunter

is not real.

I’ve been kicking around the forum for months and I’m still none the wiser why a greater CU count contributes more to RT then overall processing power. Is the premise that an equivalent GPU with less CU’s but higher TF due to clocks is still less RT capable? How is this possible?

Someone help!

Sony's gpu slower, CPU slower, Bandwidth slower (Gpu 560GB/s to 443GB/s), bit rate slower(320bits to 256bits), Retrace slower(52 to36cu), compression of data slower (BCPack),
Teraflops slower(12. to 10 ish), and you think a SSD will over come all of that?

Just say no to drugs.

We have seen this before, o yes , Sony is using the MS talking points. "PS4 is only .4 or .5 more than us, don't worry you won't notice a thing" said 900p.
Ms "We have things in are system that we can't even talk about yet" said 1-4 years later.
Ms "we have the CPU to push the GPU" said the same CPU as PS4.

You guys of PS5 power are in for a long gen. With good games at least.

Last edited:
Matt Hargett
@syke
dad, songwriter, gaymer, husband
@vitesse
, he/him. music: http://ow.ly/XMig30gBJQV code: http://git.io/vF1zY . formerly Principal Software Engineer on PS5.
Wait, so this former PS5 software engineer says that ray tracing is not tied to CU count?

Also interesting he mentions there are many secrets being well kept (by what i am assuming is Sony). Its no wonder they are keeping all devs silent on PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
I’ve been kicking around the forum for months and I’m still none the wiser why a greater CU count contributes more to RT then overall processing power. Is the premise that an equivalent GPU with less CU’s but higher TF due to clocks is still less RT capable? How is this possible?

Someone help!
It is a AMD patent where the interception units are inside the CU... so each CU has one.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony's gpu slower, CPU slower, Bandwidth slower (Gpu 560GB/s to 443GB/s), bit rate slower(320bits to 256bits), Retrace slower(52 to36cu), compression of data slower (BCPack),
Teraflops slower(12. to 10 ish), and you think a SSD will over come all of that?

Just say no to drugs.

We have seen this before, o yes , Sony is using the MS talking points. "PS4 is only .4 or .5 more than us, don't worry you won't notice a thing" said 900p.
Ms "We have things in are system that we can't even talk about yet" said 1-4 years later.
Ms "we have the CPU to push the GPU" said the same CPU as PS4.

You guys of PS5 power are in for a long gen. With good games at least.
PC gamers have been wasting their time for years. Forget about cpu and gpu and ram.

First priority of building a good rig is SSD.

Last edited:
Wait, so this former PS5 software engineer says that ray tracing is not tied to CU count?

Also interesting he mentions there are many secrets being well kept (by what i am assuming is Sony). Its no wonder they are keeping all devs silent on PS5.
Looks like he only is telling we are only see part of the image, the problem is we don't have much more info, so for example Sony maybe feel secure with its denoising
algorithms.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It is a AMD patent where the interception units are inside the CU... so each CU has one.
Sorry, answer doesn’t inform me completely. I’ll reframe it; is RT detached from clock speed?

Which is better at RT, assumption is both are identical architectures;

10 CU GPU at 3000mhz vs 20 CU GPU at 1000mhz?

Which means it's CU's x clock speeds, like most GPU execution hardware. It's a gap, but not 40%.

Not sure where this idea that only CU count matters for RT came from. Would 1MHz at 52CUs be faster than 26 at 1GHz? Obviously not.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There is no such thing as finished.

PS3 continued to sell after PS4 released. The same for PS2 the generation before that.

So what you're saying is that Sony is keeping devs quiet because they still have to sell PS4's ?

Indeed, they've thrown so much money on Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2. No need to spoil them this early. Still, some of my friends were asking about PS4 Slim or Pro to buy, give them the bigger picture, one decided to wait for PS5 and that's 2-3 months ago.

Those ~326K sales in one week are just ridiculous this late, and PS4 Slim/Pro are still the most expensive around (most profitable at this time).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom