• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

Sony or MS dont care one bit when AMD releases their GPUs.
PS4 GPUs where on par (featureset wise) or better with the current available AMD cards at time of release
When they design a console and target a date they have access to AMD roadmaps, they choose the best tech available for their release timeline.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Whether people believe it's a Scarlett or PS5, or not, this St. Gonzalo of the Heavenly Flute is a custom SoC with "G" for gaming/console attached to it's codename. It's a curiously strong chip for some random gaming device. Would SuborX or Alienware AlphaX be random?:pie_thinking: Hmm. Still more likely to be PS5, imo.

SonGoku

Whether people believe it's a Scarlett or PS5, or not, this St. Gonzalo of the Heavenly Flute is a custom SoC with "G" for gaming/console attached to it's codename. It's a curiously strong chip for some random gaming device. Would SuborX or Alienware AlphaX be random?:pie_thinking: Hmm. Still more likely to be PS5, imo.
I mean alienware is known for using enthusiast level cards, a 5700XT would be hardly groundbreaking
Bu bu but its an APU!
Adding a 74mm2 Zen 2 CCD to a 5700XT die hardly changes its footprint

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Why would they completely overhaul Navi10 to be Navi20 when they could just use Navi20?

What you are suggesting makes no sense.
Because Sony and MS design their own, semi custom chips with AMD. AMD misses targets frequently with their products, and that would be suicidal for console manufacturers, so what they do is they use building blocks of AMDs portfolios roadmap.

Mass Shift

I dont see Sony needing to counter MS, but can see it vice versa. Sony losing 10% power battle with smaller die size means nothing to them or customers

*Looks at the last 180 pages in this thread*

Actually it matters more than some would ever be willing to admit. Some people are so personally invested in this you would think that they're the one's building these devices.

And you better believe it matters to Sony and MS. If it didn't you wouldn't see them engaging in this multibillion dollar high stakes joust every generation. And the product perception? It may be the most crucial element of their marketing campaigns.

What gamers think about these devices is critical to their success, especially at the start of a generation. If the perception is powerful, capable and worth the investment of money and then later personal time, you have the beginnings of mindshare.

It's such a fragile thing too, mostly because it's psychological. Even the perception of weakness can cause a gamer to scoff at what otherwise could be a great gaming experience. Because of that perception they find it impossible to enjoy anything on the "other platform". Both console maker and consumer are keenly aware of this dynamic.

Let there be no mistake. To the invested even 10% matters.

R600

Banned
Dont forget using curiously impressive RAM not yet found in ANY product on market - Samsung 18Gbps chips.

The only reason people think its not console is because it appears to be Zen2 + ~9TF GPU and 16GB of GDDR6.

It doesnt fit the dream of 14TF 2080TI equivalent and 24GB of HBM3.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Because Sony and MS design their own, semi custom chips with AMD. AMD misses targets frequently with their products, and that would be suicidal for console manufacturers, so what they do is they use building blocks of AMDs portfolios roadmap.

Mark Cerny has spoken of this, I’ll have to find the quote something about a part not arriving til six months before launch is fine but there is a risk it could get pushed a further six months so they miss the launch window. It’s a common concern and they just have to risk it.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I mean alienware is known for using enthusiast level cards, a 5700XT would be hardly groundbreaking
Alienware Alpha was a Steam Machine/Console, although it didn't use an APU, rather various Intel CPUs paired with GTX 860M 2GB. This hypothetical AlphaX would now be using an APU, like the SuborX or PS5. :goog_geek:

R R600 ,

Also curiously similar specs to OQA leak, and it's Userbench entry was curiously deleted. Gotta keep that secret SuberX under wraps.:alien:

R600

Banned
Its not confirmed, other explanations for the result

On DUV 11TF (2080 equivalent) and 20/24GB GDDR6 will be good enough for 4k consoles
On 7nm EUV 12-13TF is possible while keeping costs low
Heh...forget about it. Literally every single point points at 7nm, cut down Zen2 and ~ 40CU Navi with RT.

Sounds pretty bad as to me.

Actually it matters more than some would ever be willing to admit. Some people are so personally invested in this you would think that they're the one's building these devices.

And you better believe it matters to Sony and MS. If it didn't you wouldn't see them engaging in this multibillion dollar high stakes joust every generation. And the product perception? It may be the most crucial element of their marketing campaigns.

What gamers think about these devices is critical to their success, especially at the start of a generation. If the perception is powerful, capable and worth the investment of money and then later personal time, you have the beginnings of mindshare.

It's such a fragile thing too, mostly because it's psychological. Even the perception of weakness can cause a gamer to scoff at what otherwise could be a great gaming experience. Because of that perception they find it impossible to enjoy anything on the "other platform". Both console maker and consumer are keenly aware of this dynamic.

Absolutly not.
11TF (2080 equivalent) and 20/24GB GDDR6 will be good enough for 4k consoles
On 7nm EUV 12-13TF is possible while keeping costs low
Did you read that SONY ? LOL Goku i love you.

joe_zazen

It is true. I resent my pro because of rdr2 comparisons with x1x and i feel like an idiot because of it, but you feel what you feel 🤷

I’ll be thinking long and hard before I buy the underpowered machine for next gen, i mean they’d need to be cheaper with a better selection of gamepass type cheap downloadable content on tap for less than $10 per month. And even then, I wont have forgotten about rdr2, I still might go for the more powerful box.

Next gen could be a flip of 2013, where ms has more powerful box with a better value (because of game pass). If I cared more about Sony exclusives, this wouldnt be a question, but I dont, so it is.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
R R600 ,

Also curiously similar specs to OQA leak, and it's Userbench entry was curiously deleted. Gotta keep that secret SuberX under wraps
Whats funny with PCB leak is that, it was actually leaked by a guy, who now promptly deleted his Reddit account, was almost certainly from Asia. His avatar was electric circuit and he never mentioned specs, only what can be found on MBO as well as dies size.

This is probably only thing we can actually get because someone will have to see and handle these PCBs during testing, and that someone has to be from Taiwan, given thats where chips are produced at.

Just far to big of a coincidence. I remember people saying no way will 256bit bus be used as there is no chips fast enough to deliver enough BW. Well, turns out 18Gbps chips from Samsung will be ready for 2020 :)

SonGoku

Alienware Alpha was a Steam Machine/Console, although it didn't use an APU, rather various Intel CPUs paired with GTX 860M 2GB. This hypothetical AlphaX would now be using an APU, like the SuborX or PS5.
Only $450 though, besides they've done much better mini towers
An APU would be more economic aswell
Literally every single point points at 7nm, cut down Zen2
Not really, speculation from Komachi is far from everything
We have a supposed Gonzalo, thats about it. If you take the Gonzalo-ps5 speculation as fact i can see how it can feel conclusive but its not.
LOL Goku i love you.
You can show your appreciation when specs reveal ;)

Last edited:

xool

Apisak is from Taiwan. I have a suspicion he has someone working really close with these things to get the data he gets. We'll see but Gonzalo is only 1 of hundreds of products he posted.

Funnily enough, he didnt even say it was PS5, it was Komachi that connected it to Ariel and then entire thing went crazy.
Twitter says Thailand (Apisak is thai name) . but yeah someone working at Foxconn or another PCB manufacturer, specifically in QA/verification would be well placed for this info

R600

Banned
So someone from Era cought one super interesting tidbit.

Flute and Gonzalo are both Shakespear characters lol that cannot be coincidence!

Ok so I checked for Ariel! Its Shakespear character as well holy shit :eek:

Ariel is a spirit who appears in William Shakespeare's play The Tempest

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_(The_Tempest)

Francis Flute is a character in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Flute

Gonzalo (/ˈɡɒnzəloʊ/ GON-zə-loh) is a fictional character in William Shakespeare's The Tempest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzalo_(The_Tempest)

OMFG

Last edited:

xool

Flute and Gonzalo are both Shakespear characters lol that cannot be coincidence!

Gonzalo (/ˈɡɒnzəloʊ/ GON-zə-loh) is a fictional character in William Shakespeare's The Tempest.

OMFG
I think they got the pattern.

Good. What if AMD is giving MS Midsummer Night's codenames, and Sony gets Tempest based codenames?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Now that's a tasty theory.
OrneryZigzagEasternglasslizard-size_restricted.gif

xool

Would be cool, but Scarlett is not 256bit bus console. It was pretty clear from reveal its 320bit bus with slower memory then what Flute has.
what if Gonzalo/Ariel was Scarlett all along, not PS5 ? Is there anything

R600

Banned
what if Gonzalo/Ariel was Scarlett all along, not PS5 ? Is there anything
Well, I doubt it. Why? Because Gonzalo was linked to Ariel by Komachi after Gonzalo PCI ID code from ES sample leaked :

13f8 matched Ariels PCI ID code. And 13f8 was already unearthed by chiphell to be Navi 10 Lite (now we know Lite means iGPU).

13f8 was ES - boosted to 1.0GHZ

13e9 was April leak- base 1.0GHZ/boost 1.8GHZ

13f9 was Flute leak - base 1.2GHZ/boost 1.8GHZ

I think its pretty clear that Ariel/Gonzalo and Flute are same product, but different revisions as shown by clocks and code.

Since from Flute we know memory arrangement for that chip, and from Gonzalo codename nomenclature we know its much more likely to be Sony chip, I strongly doubt thats MS console.

Last edited:

McHuj

I just want to add that there are reasons why people think Gonzalo/Flute is PS5 and not Scarlett.

I tend to agree. I think this Flute platform seems like a likely Sony console especially given the PCB leak. I always thought that leak smelled real and I tend to think it is.

For MS, I can also see them going with a bigger APU mainly by retaining the full CPU cache. If they want to use these chips in the server space as well giving more oomph to the CPU will be necessary.

Although if their APU is indeed around 380mm, maybe they did go for a 12 core CPU (2 cores disabled in each cluster for yields) instead of beefing up the GPU.

Aceofspades

Banned
Yea those where crazy times :)

This one is great as well. 2yrs ahead of release...

When PS4 was 4GB and MS was surely going for 8GB. He obviously messed up a bit about 1.2TF being CPU, but rumor was on point in many ways.

Missed up a bit? The entirety of the leak is wrong Lol.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

SonGoku

OMFG
All this suggest is that Ariel, Gonzalo and Flute are connected, hardly a surprising confirmation
No connection to next gen consoles though.
Sony console especially given the PCB leak
Die size too small and SSD used doesn't fit the patent
I think its a fake piggybacking on Gonzalo to appear legit.
Although if their APU is indeed around 380mm, maybe they did go for a 12 core CPU
That's a waste of space
On a 380mm2 die (DUV) they can fit 60CUs with the accompanying frontend to support it, 320bit bus and uncircumcised Zen2 CCD
56CUs @1600Mhz = 11.4TF ~2080 Super perfomance

Last edited:

McHuj

That's a waste of space
On a 380mm2 die (DUV) they can fit 60CUs with the accompanying frontend to support it, 320bit bus and intact Zen2 CCD

Not if they think CPU performance will be more important in the long term.

Suppose that they are already thinking about the Pro/X style upgrade in several years after 2020, the GPU is the easiest thing to upgrade and scale across tiers, but not the CPU. Going with a stronger CPU now would have much bigger implications for the platform long term.

R600

Banned
All this suggest is that Ariel, Gonzalo and Flute are connected, hardly a surprising confirmation
No connection to next gen consoles though.

Die size too small and SSD used doesn't fit the patent
I think its a fake piggybacking on Gonzalo to appear legit.
Except that PCB leak had nothing to do with Gonzalo. Still doesnt.

Connection is this (and you agreed there is one btw).

Ariel (Dec 18) > Gonzalo (Jan/April) > PCB (May - 16GB 18Gbps chips in clamshell) > Flute (July - 18Gbps, 16GB in clamshell)

So if we know Gonzalo/Flute are legit and connected, yet PCB came before Flute and specified 16GB of RAM in clamshell with 18Gbps Samsung chips, how can it piggybank on Flute leak? If anYthing it can only be revers. But it cant, as Flute and Gonzalo are legit and connected. This is known as source coolaboration. And one of a best kind, as timelines and completely different sources tell the same story.

PCB leak was shit until legit leak like Flute completely confirmed memory arrangement (which is anything but expected). We alreay suspect Gonzalo/Flute is PS5, which you dissregard, but PCB clearly states - This is PS5, and look at it, they sources fit eachother like glow.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Not if they think CPU performance will be more important in the long term
Not really, 3700x is overpowered next to a weak 8-9TF GPU
They'll get much better results in game with a better GPU (~11TF), devs wont take advantage of extra cores while the GPU upgrade can be easily exploited
the GPU is the easiest thing to upgrade and scale across tiers, but not the CPU
CPU won't need an upgrade, they can just beef the clocks like they did with the x to improve ST performance.
Except that PCB leak had nothing to do with Gonzalo.
Gonzalo is Navi 10 based so the small PCB "leak" complements it
PCB (May - 16GB 18Gbps chips in clamshell) > Flute (July - 18Gbps, 16GB in clamshell)
18Gbps chips not confirmed on Flute
16*8Gbit chips don't make sense either, 8*16Gbit chips is the more cost effective solution

The clamshell/18Gbitps info so far is wild speculation, and doesn't make sense. I can't take that suggestion serious.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Turned out the shitty E-machine was Xbox One, lol.

He did have a tiny sprinkle of some real specs and codenames, but just mixed up and blended with a broken telephone.
Agree. But remember, he had codenames and 1.2TF 6 months before any major outlet had it. So he was obviously in known. Probably by friend close to AMD, as few of them got fucked by lawsuits after 2013.

R600

Banned
Gonzalo is Navi 10 based so the small PCB "leak" complements it
Except back then we didnt know die size nor did we know arrangement of CUs in Navi. PCB came before ANYTHING technical on Navi was said.

Navi 10 is anything but small. Its bigger then every single GPU last 4 consoles where based upon (7770/7850/580).
18GBps chips not confirmed on Flute
16*8Gbit chips don't make sense either, 8*16Gbit chips is the more cost effective solution

The clamshell/18Gbitps info so far is wild speculation, and doesn't make sense. I can't take that suggestion serious.
Well bandwidth from benchmark is higher then 16Gbps chips can provide, onky 18Gbps chips can actually provide such memory in such arrangement.

Further on this point, it can or cannot make sense to you, but 18Gbps 16GB in clamshell configuration is what both leaks colaborate on. And since we know Flute is legit, and it came after, it makes PCB leak even more so.

In the end we dont know why they need 16 chips. Maybe thats what Samsung can currently provide, maybe its for dev kits, maybe retail will have 8x2, but for now, they fit eachother like a glow and you cannot dissmiss it so easily :)

R600

Banned
Even a broken clock is right two times a day
SonGoku you are too far gone at this point. Guy had both correct code names for next gen consoles 2yrs before they where out and at least 6 months before anyone else colaborated on it. He also had correct TF and memory count for MS console. Its not a lucky guess ffs.

SonGoku

Except back then we didnt know die size nor did we know arrangement of CUs in Navi. PCB came before ANYTHING technical on Navi was said.
We knew Navi10 is small Navi...
Navi 10 is anything but small
It is 250mm2 very small, those GPUs you listed are small as well.
Well bandwidth from benchmark is higher then 16Gbps chips can provide, onky 18Gbps chips can actually provide such memory in such arrangement.
Tomfoolery with l2/l3 caches can explain it or overclocked 16Gbps chips
Point is, its not confirmed and trying to make it conincide with other leaks its a stretch
18Gbps 16GB in clamshell configuration is what both leaks colaborate on
PCB leak didn't mention density, everybody assumed it was 32GB for a devkit
In the end we dont know why they need 16 chips. Maybe thats what Samsung can currently provide,
16Gbit chips are available from Samsung, makes no sense to go with a more expensive clamshell config when 16Gbit chips are available
they fit eachother like a glow and you cannot dissmiss it so easily
Its a stretch to support speculation, i treat it as such.
SonGoku you are too far gone at this point. Guy had both correct code names for next gen consoles 2yrs before they where out and at least 6 months before anyone else colaborated on it. He also had correct TF and memory count for MS console. Its not a lucky guess ffs.
You missed the point of my comment... Just because someone gets some info right doesn't mean everything this person says should be treated as gospel, especially if they have been wrong in the past.
Burned so called "insiders" have shown this time and time again even on GaF

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yea those where crazy times :)

This one is great as well. 2yrs ahead of release...

When PS4 was 4GB and MS was surely going for 8GB. He obviously messed up a bit about 1.2TF being CPU, but rumor was on point in many ways.
"The PS4 has no hard drive by default."

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mass Shift

It is true. I resent my pro because of rdr2 comparisons with x1x and i feel like an idiot because of it, but you feel what you feel 🤷

I’ll be thinking long and hard before I buy the underpowered machine for next gen, i mean they’d need to be cheaper with a better selection of gamepass type cheap downloadable content on tap for less than $10 per month. And even then, I wont have forgotten about rdr2, I still might go for the more powerful box.

Next gen could be a flip of 2013, where ms has more powerful box with a better value (because of game pass). If I cared more about Sony exclusives, this wouldnt be a question, but I dont, so it is.

I know what you mean. You "feel it" even when it shouldn't matter to the overall experience your having.

R600

Banned
For people arguing 13-14TF system. How much BW do you need for such system? We know 5700/XT have 448GB/s of BW.

If they went with 256bit bus and 18Gbps or 14Gbps on 320bit bus, they can end up anywhere from 512GB/s to 576GB/s, and that implies that GPU part of system is likely lower then 10TF, as CPU part will need at least 60-70GB/s.

In your case, BW for system would have to be at very least 672GB/s, I assume even more. But Scarlett does not show this, nor does anything point at PS5 to have so much BW. There is a sweet spot for everything in semi conductor design, and BW/TF is one of them. You will see both ending up at ~ few % difference at most.

Last edited:

SonGoku

For people arguing 13-14TF system. How much BW do you need for such system? We know 5700/XT have 448GB/s of BW.
13-14TF is only doable on 7nm EUV, in than case 384bit bus would be used with 16Gbps chips 768GB/s or 18Gbps chips 864GB/s (if available)
Mind you im not dead set on this as i also consider DUV a possibility.
In your case, BW for system would have to be at very least 672GB/s, I assume even more. But Scarlett does not show this, nor does anything point at PS5 to have so much BW.
Scarlet video is suspect (misdirection?) because its using different density chips, the final version will have the same memory chips across the board
Assuming 7nm DUV they'll go with 320bit bus and ~11TF (2080S tier) with 16Gbps chips 600GB/s - 640GB/s

Memory chips can be upgraded at the last minute, i don't think Scarlett render was final

Last edited:

xGreir

So right now... We still know nothing, am I wrong?

I'm going crazy with all the speculation, and nothing really strong to make a bet

llien

OMFG
So? HL3 confirmed?

AMD Renoir APUs - 7nm/Navi/Zen2

Due after Navi on the roadmap in Q4 2019

Likely targeting laptop and gaming use cases that will be showcased at CES 2020 in January.

But it's much easier to incorrectly assume that everything is next gen consoles no matter how underpowered it seems for 4K/next-gen.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
AMD Renoir APUs - 7nm/Navi/Zen2

Due after Navi on the roadmap in Q4 2019

Likely targeting laptop and gaming use cases that will be showcased at CES 2020 in January.

But it's much easier to incorrectly assume that everything is next gen consoles no matter how underpowered it seems for 4K/next-gen.
Renoir is laptop APU with low/mid Vega chip.

THE:MILKMAN

Renoir was originally listed as Vega but more recently it is being shown as Navi.

Yeah there still is contradictory info about the GPU uArch of Renoir. Two things off the bat that for me make it highly unlikely Gonzalo/Flute is a AMD APU are 1, I believe they are 4c8t and 2, surely won't have 40CUs Gonzalo/Flute seem to have? Pretty sure there are some other things that point away from it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom