• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PS Now was at 1 million users in October 2019, Microsoft currently is at 10 million. Sure there's 7 months between those numbers, but I would be surprised if PSNow would also be at 10 million. On the 13th of May we'll have the quarterly earnings of Sony so we'll probably hear the right number then.

Revenue is the key, that 1$ has plenty of dippers. So far, this is what we have:

PS Now earned $143 million in 2018. Old number when it was 700K subs:

And for GamePass, it's still gibberish with no revenue numbers to give a clear idea of what's happening:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Revenue is the key, that 1$ has plenty of dippers. So far, this is what we have:

And for GamePass, it's still gibberish with no revenue numbers to give a clear idea of what's happening:

Wait, why are you reposting this crap?

LOL.. and that article can't even read.. Superdata is claiming they made that much in a QUARTER.. and I just debunked it..

Last edited:
I had time without seeing so many baseless arguments, at least someone taught you the use of logic when debating something?

How will the PS5 sustain the same Raytracing as the X having a lower CU number?
1)We don't know completely how scale the RT in RDNA 2
2)Doesn't exists a reason for think that doesn't scale also with Clocks
3)None says the RT will be equals to XSX because we don't know but you can think to reduce the resolution and have the same

Formula12 said:
How will the PS5 keep a consistent 60fps 4K with an inferior GPU? You think it still stay around 10tf with raytracing and a higher frame rate?
1) If you think all the games in XSX which will use RT to 4k and 60 fps you clearly don't understand what is RT

Formula12 said:
You ignore it’s a boosted clock, that variable, it not steady clock. X clock does not drop.
There no way the PS5 can match the X performance.
1) The clock doesn't works in that way "When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to
reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor"

2)Only that happens when both CPU and GPU are used to its 100%.

3)You know the biggest delta between the systems is in the SSD side of PS5, right ? You know the main reason of why this gen was not
necessary a big jump in memory

4) Any system is completely superior to the another each of them has its advantages and disadvantages.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Gonna reply a second time to point out how bullshit these numbers are.

PSNow surprassed 700k subscribers 6 months after Superdata claimed they were pulling in ~$140 million in quarterly revenue.

700k x 60 (3 months at full price the most Sony would pull in a quarter) is $42 million. And there is no way Sony is getting full price out of every PSNow sub.

They were probably pulling in more like $20 million a quarter when SuperData claimed they were pulling in $140 million...

Moral of the story: SuperData is incredibly unreliable, despite being owned by Nielson who are respected in the TV space.

You understand that Q3 means 9 months not 6 months?

IntentionalPun

You understand that Q3 means 9 months not 6 months?

No.. it means 3 months. Literally says "Quarterly revenue" on the chart...

Nothing about that Superdata crap makes ANY Sense.

They didn't have 700k subs until 6 months LATER.. and Sony said that number had jumped 40%.

Stop listing SuperData data.

Tamy

Banned

No, revenue doesn’t matter at all. GROWTH is key. This is way more important.

Is it safe to assume that what Sony means by Geometry Engine is the same definition that AMD gives it?

isscc2020-5700-design.png

It looks like it's something inside the GPU. And I went a bit further back and they talked about the Geometry Engine in the Polaris white paper as well.
I have a problem with that theory of the GE been in already released GPUs as in PS5.

If you ask a dev who has access to that he will tell you something like ''I cannot talk about a feature of PS5 for NDA " but if already release then which is the problem
you can use as example any card of RDNA 1.

My theory yes is based in almost the same but Sony did some changes in the chip or software enough to let do other things or have more control of it and for this reason
is part of the NDA.

Note: Ignored please

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

It's really obvious SuperData WAY overshot how many subs PSNow had. Nobody really knew until Sony announced the 700k number 6 months after that report.. and up until they released the game download feature they likely hadn't topped 500k.

Even if they had 500k in Q3 of 2018... and even if every single one of those people was paying the $20 a month price.... that would have been $30 million in revenue. Off by almost 500%.

Like I said, chances are Sony made closer to $20 million revenue in Q32018 on PSNow.

Nobody has any clue what MS is making these days off of GamePass let alone back when SuperData invented those numbers.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
How will the PS5 sustain the same Raytracing as the X having a lower CU number?

How will the PS5 keep a consistent 60fps 4K with an inferior GPU? You think it still stay around 10tf with raytracing and a higher frame rate?

You ignore it’s a boosted clock, that variable, it not steady clock. X clock does not drop.
There no way the PS5 can match the X performance. You're going to see with raytracing the X superior specs matter.

. I let you live in your bubble that the PS5 will keep up.

You going to see I was right when consoles are out.

I find it really funny that even after months of explanations from many sources and having excellent Cernys tech talk, people still talk about boost clocks.

It is not boost clock, it should be clear by now. But if that is too difficult for some to understand, they clearly should not talk about tech at all, just learn more until they understand the basics.

But yeah, you clearly have some war to fight which normal people don't care, and your kind of people think that if you "win" this "war" on forums = PS5 sells less than xsex, which is more delusional concept than thinking you are the next Jesus.

PS Now was at 1 million users in October 2019, Microsoft currently is at 10 million. Sure there's 7 months between those numbers, but I would be surprised if PSNow would also be at 10 million. On the 13th of May we'll have the quarterly earnings of Sony so we'll probably hear the right number then.
The thing with both numbers of users in both sides is they are counting user which are using their service for first time I mean
for example for Gamepass only cost around 1 dollar if I remember and probably happen the same situation for Sony.

That is why is probably better to see the number as money you know how much money they earn and how much money do they lose.

I mean those exclusive day 1 in Gamepass are not free neither the game in PSNow.

I have a problem with that theory of the GE been in already released GPUs as in PS5.

If you ask a dev who has access to that he will tell you something like ''I cannot talk about a feature of PS5 for NDA " but if already release then which is the problem
you can use as example any card of RDNA 1.

My theory yes is based in almost the same but Sony did some changes in the chip or software enough to let do other things or have more control of it and for this reason
is part of the NDA.

I'm just assuming that based of what AMD has done in the past, the geometry engine is an actual part of the hardware. I believe it isn't some software that does the work it's actual hardware within the APU.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

143mill divided by 12 months and 700k subs (AS IF 700k were all paying the whole year round), would be $17 per month per user. You really think that almost everyone was paying that amount per month? That's ridiculous. The 143 is a guess, and a bad one at that. But sure if you think PSNow can generate $143 million with 700k users, and Microsoft can't generate that with 10 million users, well...

The thing with both numbers of users in both sides is they are counting user which are using their service for first time I mean for example for Gamepass only cost around 1 dollar if I remember and probably happen the same situation for Sony.

That is why is probably better to see the number as money you know how much money they earn and how much money do they lose.

I mean those exclusive day 1 in Gamepass are not free neither the game in PSNow.
That 10 million is active users, not a cumulated number of all users ever.

My take, effectively, if the 9th gen has features that the PC will only get with RDNA3, they /do/ have RDNA3 features ahead of time, regardless of the directionality of development. If me and my twin share features, whether you say they have my features or I have theirs, both are correct.

Could be:

- RT related: BVH structure acceleration or something like that.
- memory contention improvements to make CPU and GPU not fight starving each other for bandwidth.
-an automatic scaler, something BG could have hinted
answering to a 8K 260 fps GT post.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
143mill divided by 12 months and 700k subs (AS IF 700k were all paying the whole year round), would be $17 per month per user. You really think that almost everyone was paying that amount per month? That's ridiculous. The 143 is a guess, and a bad one at that. But sure if you think PSNow can generate $143 million with 700k users, and Microsoft can't generate that with 10 million users, well...

It was $20/month in case you don't remember, with some probably going with yearly $99. Sony is more interested in PS Plus anyway:

ps4.jpg

And you can't compare PS Plus to Xbox Live, the PC version is worthless and you pay nothing.

Sony Made over $12 Billion Through PSN in 2019, its Second Biggest Year for Revenue

Let's not bring the war chest again, MS is $110B vs $78B Sony. Until we see similar, massive acquisition like Sony's $229M to insomniac, and the head of Xbox studios changes his mind about minor A-AA games in favor of big AAA games, don't expect Sony's pure dominance will magically disappear.

And please let's not talk about that "AAAA" game.

FeiRR

Banned
PS Plus is available in 19 countries. Xbox Game Pass is available in 41 countries, including very populated ones like Russia and South Korea.

On the other side, I wouldn't read much into XGP numbers until it's heavily discounted. I paid $1 for 3 months and now another $1 for one more month. When I run out of usable email addresses, my subscription will lapse. I don't have much interest in paying more for a service which forces me to play games in a certain time frame, before they are removed from there. So at least 2 of those subs are a loss for Microsoft. As for PS Now, I don't know if I'd be interested in it because I can't even try it thanks to Sony's policy.

never heard such nonsense as unit of code :messenger_grinning_squinting: if you' are programmer? can you explain what this function does?

Python:
def function_x(a):
    if a:
        lp = [i for i in a[1 :] if i < a[0]]
        mp = [i for i in a[1 :] if i >= a[0]]
        return function_x(lp) + [a[0]] + function_x(mp)
    else:
        return a

and what methods it use?
You've never heard of a unit of code, unit testing, a compile unit... You have disqualified yourself right there.

I've also noticed that you have never directly contradicted me. All you ever do is throw out vague claims of being right, and when you do try to talk tech you've been completely wrong. When I've pointed that out, you just plugged your ears and prayed Cerny saved you. Meanwhile I've backed everything I've said up, and I'll do it again right now.

Here are your posts to me starting three replies ago. This first one was just wrong at every level
You: no GE it's hardware unit inside GPU
WRONG: Cerny never said that. I have provided in prior comment full Cerny quote to back me up

You: they'r[GE] not the same while they might have some of the same features(VRS).
WRONG: The GE does not have some of the same features as VRS. One works on world geomety. The other on screen pixels.

You: GE can just not to draw primitives at start of render where isn't needed that means offscreen... (editing out gibberish like that which made no sense) ...that's why GE is superior to VRS.
WRONG: GE is not superior to VRS. I gave you an example of how a geometry shader doesn't help you at all with optimizing drawing the sky which has very little geometry, but a VRS can.

Then after I corrected you on all of that, did you take what I said and try to rebut any it with facts? Nope. You just implied that I must be wrong because...unspecified reasons, and declared victory.
You: "what's the point arguing with you if you won't believe words of lead architect of PS5?"
Wrong: Already went over that. You did not understand Cerny and doubled down on that ignorance

Meanwhile I've continued to give full comments explaining my position while the best you could do was triple down on your incorrect belief that uttering Cerny's name like a mantra would summon him to save your hopeless position.
You: then i guess cerny is wrong and you are right. can you turn RT from hw solution to software? or maybe whole GPU to just software code?
Wrong: Why even bother? You just don't listen, even when provided full descriptions and quotes to back me up.

Now if I'm wrong, give me a timestamp of video or written interview where Cerny said the geometry engine is a "hardware unit" which you have adamantly insisted he said, and has been your only argument of late.

Now if I'm wrong, tell me how the geometry engine would help speed up the processing of the sky which has little geometry? If it can't, then how could the geometry engine possibly be "superior"(your word) to variable rate shaders which can?

You can't answer any of that because you have been wrong from the start, and you've built your argument on a foundation of mud. You haven't said a single thing that was true.

Last edited:
PS Plus is available in 19 countries. Xbox Game Pass is available in 41 countries, including very populated ones like Russia and South Korea.

On the other side, I wouldn't read much into XGP numbers until it's heavily discounted. I paid $1 for 3 months and now another $1 for one more month. When I run out of usable email addresses, my subscription will lapse. I don't have much interest in paying more for a service which forces me to play games in a certain time frame, before they are removed from there. So at least 2 of those subs are a loss for Microsoft. As for PS Now, I don't know if I'd be interested in it because I can't even try it thanks to Sony's policy.

I renewd my subscription for 1€ back when The Outer world was in game pass. I'm still paying and haven't used the service for 4 months. I really need ro cancel it. But its only 4€ so it doesn't hurt. I'm also paying for audible 10€ for half a year and haven't used it after the first month. And don't get me started with amazon prime. Not using it at all. Paying for years...
I'd say im burning money but well i'm smoking and spending 150-220€ a month for that, too.

I fucking need to cancel those worthless subscriptions and stop smoking 😂

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'd like some SoR4 at 8k120 ;)

For 8K@120fps you would need 4K@480fps, and that's insane. Until we see DP 2.0 or a new HDMI 3.0, 8K@60fps would be the limit from 4K@240fps game like the next Gran Turismo:

gt-sport-scape-05xr8-009.jpg

"Wow PS4 and Xbox One game have amazing graphics uncharted 4, gears 5, bloodborne, forza horizon, ryse, horizon zero dawn, god of war, ghost of tshushima, the last of us 2, cant wait for xbox series x and ps5"

Xbox series x and ps5
6g9bGni.jpg
That is what happens when you had the power but you lack in art direction but at least the environment and characters have many polygons .... We know this will happen.

THE:MILKMAN

It's a clever way to avoid saying down-clock really lol

Maybe and we'll soon see. Both Sony and Microsoft appear to be playing show your own games chicken right now. I've been saying for weeks that I want to see the games but both seem to be doing their best to avoid doing so until the last possible minute!

TLOU2 has officially gone gold.

This is getting me all kinds of hyped. I wasn't necessarily all that excited or looking forward to Last of Us 2., but I still respected the game enough to want to try to avoid any spoilers for it just in case I did end up watching down the line. However, the intensity around it and controversy was so much that I ended up reading and watching the spoilers, and watching the gameplay footage, and I suddenly got crazy excited by what I saw. The level of animation quality, the mechanics, it just all seems incredibly on point and high level. I made this comparison before to some others and they think I'm crazy, but I see splinter cell conviction all over this game. I see mechanics or elements that I loved in splinter cell conviction that appear to be present in strong form in this game, and that's exciting for me because splinter cell is one of my games of the generation during the 360 era.

I feel like the interrogation scenes that were present in splinter cell conviction are realized in this game but in real-time gameplay. It's impressive. And being the kind of person that I am, the more i see people crapping on something and hating on it, for whatever reason the more I find myself drawn to it because I always make up my own mind. I probably refuse to play this on the PS4 and want to wait for PS5 as I don't see myself buying another ps4 after just giving mine to a family member. I think, regardless of how polarizing the story may be, that this could be one of the most amazing games ever made. And this is coming from someone who had next to zero excitement about this game. It really does look that good from an overall design and creation standpoint. Who gives a fuck if it's controversial. Bring it on.

Vaztu

Does there have to be a price set if pre-orders are open? If so then what is the realistic latest time frames here?

It depends on the retailer iirc. We already saw a Norwegian website let users pre-order PS5 at around $399, with a huge asterisk stating price is subject to change. But, Sony's direct pre-orders probably opens only after price reveal.

Honestly, both can play chicken until fall. But MS should reveal the price in June. If they decide to release Lockhart, they will be hedging next-gen on two SKUs.

Gediminas

Banned
It depends on the retailer iirc. We already saw a Norwegian website let users pre-order PS5 at around $399, with a huge asterisk stating price is subject to change. But, Sony's direct pre-orders probably opens only after price reveal.

Honestly, both can play chicken until fall. But MS should reveal the price in June. If they decide to release Lockhart, they will be hedging next-gen on two SKUs.
the price is 9999kr and not 399$. 9999kr is 956$. and yes, the price will change when Sony will announce officially. i know, i pre-ordere 2 :) for safety reasons :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom