• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Md Ray

We've already heard from Jeff Grubb that Sony are limiting 3rd Party games from the event because they only want to show games which are currently running on the PS5 hardware.

Jason Schrier or one of his colleagues stated that the PS5 will go into production soon so they'll likely reveal the console soon as well to avoid leaks.
Great. That's great, because I personally can't wait to the see the console and its teardown more than anything now. They can show its exclusives, PS5 UI, etc. later.

go-away-you-im-busy-chris-tucker-reaction-gif-in-fifth-element.gif
He knows Jack and Shit.

I'm sure you're familiar with them
No he doesn’t. He just rewords what everyone else is saying or thinking as if he has insider knowledge.
I actually hope the PS5 event falls flat now just to show him up. Although he ignores and doesn’t acknowledge Tweets that utterly failed and Retweets anything that vaguely looked like he had prior knowledge.
Nope. He doesn't.
Probably not, Foxy, Tidux, that dude with the Iron Man profile picture, all fake insiders.
He doesn't know shit 😂

The most common ground ever shared in this thread

scie

Sony event on June 3rd is very likely now as stated by numerous insiders and news sites.
Other then that not much happend.

Nice! As predicted by some folks last week

Xbox fans have admitted the Unreal 5 demo could only run at that detail/speed on PS5. PlayStation fans have admitted that Xbox has won this generation and are looking ahead to PS6. PC fans are trying to RAID all their drives together to be able to keep up.

So same shit as always :messenger_grinning_smiling: This sounds like my essay on sales tax I had to write was more fun

The truth is that the compatibility with previous Gen matters to me 0. I do not buy new hardware for that, it will not be what makes me opt for Sex or Ps5
For example I have two Xbox 360 just in case the old one dies XD
I completely agree, and if Sony would be the one to throw tweets with provocations, everyone would be cheering Sony.
Is shit doesn't matter who said it, specially from a company who love to say everything is love and they don't considered Sony as its competition (when is Sony and Nintendo which can say that).

That is all my impartial friend.

DaGwaphics

I don't think they can actually target a specific frequency with their VM tech? How would they even do that?

Any links? You have my interest piqued.

HyperV fully supports virtual CPUs, just like VMware, you can create a 1GHz virtual CPU or a 2GHz in theory. These won't be identical to a real CPU at X speed, but you can control the speed that processing is done with a good level of precision. If they had problems with code running too fast, adjustments could be made to slow the processing down without limiting the actual amount of compute available.

BGs

Industry Professional
Are you telling us that there is something about the Sony hardware/software, no public yet, that works in conjunction with UE5 to make it even more tailored?
A multiplatform engine is usually compatible with the peculiarities of the systems and the needs of the industry. But that does not mean that all systems can benefit from these peculiarities (to one side and to the other). Some are shared and others are exclusive, especially if those peculiarities are the future to follow in the industry. The important thing is that EPIC supports this new "way of creating" and the necessary technology.

But yes, XSX has 12TF and PS5 has 10TF. XSX has won and is the most powerful and with it you can tear the continuous space-time.

DaGwaphics

I would rather the effort and cost was paid to devs to patch the 30 FPS game to run at 60 PS and be twice as responsive.

Just by what they've done in the past, they will probably have showcase games that have been patched/altered slightly to really shine. Some of these studios/publishers don't even exist today, especially in the case of the OG Xbox games. At a certain point you just have to go procedural and hope for the best, if they do that, I'm sure they'll have a kill switch in the event that a title looks really bad.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Im kinda doubting any kind of big overall reveal on June 3rd unless they announce something really soon (like in the next hour or so) because in general you never drop any announcements on friday cause it gets lost before the next news cycle begins Monday. Also I would think they will want more than 1 business day to hype it up if it was an actual E3 level presentation.

Od course as always I am completely pulling this pout of my ass and have no real idea of anything.

geordiemp

Just by what they've done in the past, they will probably have showcase games that have been patched/altered slightly to really shine. Some of these studios/publishers don't even exist today, especially in the case of the OG Xbox games. At a certain point you just have to go procedural and hope for the best, if they do that, I'm sure they'll have a kill switch in the event that a title looks really bad.

So really for good playability we need devs to patch the game or it needs a performance 60 FPS mode built in.

oh well.

THE:MILKMAN

Im kinda doubting any kind of big overall reveal on June 3rd unless they announce something really soon (like in the next hour or so) because in general you never drop any announcements on friday cause it gets lost before the next news cycle begins Monday. Also I would think they will want more than 1 business day to hype it up if it was an actual E3 level presentation.

Od course as always I am completely pulling this pout of my ass and have no real idea of anything.

I'm gonna guess if they did announce it today it would be in 3-4 hours time.

Vaztu

A multiplatform engine is usually compatible with the peculiarities of the systems and the needs of the industry. But that does not mean that all systems can benefit from these peculiarities (to one side and to the other). Some are shared and others are exclusive, especially if those peculiarities are the future to follow in the industry. The important thing is that EPIC supports this new "way of creating" and the necessary technology.

But yes, XSX has 12TF and PS5 has 10TF. XSX has won and is the most powerful and with it you can tear the continuous space-time.

Thank you for taking precious time and telling us all these little tidbits.

Hope things are getting better with you, your family and your area.

We really appreciate your presence here!

bitbydeath

For the same reason why PC with 3,5GB NVME SSD still takes 10 seconds to load game. There is lots of things happening when you load game. Not only pulling data from disk. You need to decompress data, build data trees, deserialize objects, initialize game and calculate lot of data for many different game systems (pathtracking, etc).
There is game .kkrieger. Whole game is 96KB on disk, but after it's loaded it takes few hundreds MB of RAM.
First Witcher game had load times counted in minutes (like 5 minutes when entering small building with one room), they quickly patched it by and shortened by an order of magnitude.

So you’re saying BC games don’t require decompression?

geordiemp

Textures in xbox one games arnt compressed with BCpack, so XSX hardware has to upack these textures normally.

But when doing a pause then resume the XSX can save the state using compression on SSD, load in much less than 5 GB, lets say 3-4 GB and it takes how long again to do a resume ?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
HyperV fully supports virtual CPUs, just like VMware, you can create a 1GHz virtual CPU or a 2GHz in theory. These won't be identical to a real CPU at X speed, but you can control the speed that processing is done with a good level of precision. If they had problems with code running too fast, adjustments could be made to slow the processing down without limiting the actual amount of compute available.
That effects CPU time not frequency.

It does not do anything remotely like downclocking does. I have my doubts that would be useful for BC in the same way as matching clocks is...

(I could be wrong though, but I thought it was the frequency that was important to some games as they expect a given piece of code to execute in an exacting amount of time, not get a certain amount of threads scheduled per second which is what I believe HperV does.)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
But look how they emulated 360 on a regularly called on here shitty Jaguar.
If you compare that Jag to the new cpu, maybe something would be possible.
Its just a 1 inch thought as I know cell is more complex and I ain't never looked at 360 emulation on PC or indeed there is such a thing.
Compared the 360 and PS3 CPUs and you will find the issue.
PC has 360 emulator that runs fine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think if Xbox show an impressive title is because the release date will end of 2022 so in that moment they don't need to
support the old Xbox one generation or a second party like 'Medium' which doesn't need to release in Xbox one because
right now that is a pain in the ass for a dev and artist.
I've heard that a lot of times, but we'll see if this is actually the case. Halo will be a great example for this, looking forward to see if Sony will be able to deliver something equally impressive or even better since this "XSX is being held back". Time will tell.

pawel86ck

Banned
But when doing a pause then resume the XSX can save the state using compression on SSD, load in much less than 5 GB, lets say 3-4 GB and it takes how long again to do a resume ?
Compression takes a very long time (much longer than decompression), therefore I'm certain quick resume game data is not compressed.

Quick resume demo on YT shows Xbox One X games build to run on 12 GB RAM (9.5 GB game data + 2.5 GB for system data), not 5 GB. 5 seconds for 12 GB transfer correspond exactly with XSX SSD RAW speed and proves there are no SSD bottlenecks. Games build with XSX hardware in mind will load even faster, because BCpack (4.8-6 GB/s) will fill 13.5 GB in around 2.5-3 seconds. It will be awesome speed, but of course PS5 will move data even faster (9-20 GB/s) and load entire game in about one second.

I've heard that a lot of times, but we'll see if this is actually the case. Halo will be a great example for this, looking forward to see if Sony will be able to deliver something equally impressive or even better since this "XSX is being held back". Time will tell.
Yeah that is not a theory just look your Xbox one X.

Sinthor

Gold Member
You are thinking about it two-dimensionally. You can run a virtual cpu at the simulated frequencies you need to run the core code while still using the remaining resources to make procedural upgrades on the output. I'm sure there will be some type of context menu where you can disable enhancements if you'd rather play the original or if you don't like the look of the updates. There's always a chance that something procedural just doesn't look quite right on game X, Y, or Z.

Two dimensional thinking, eh? I think I see what you're doing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom