• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it turns out to be true, the only reason PS1 is not listed would be due to the PS5’s Blu-ray drive not being able to read cd-roms, only up to dvds. PS1 classics from the ps store would still be playable.
Whoa now, that's kinda plausible.

giphy.gif

SSfox

There is no way Sony can't put PS1 and PS2 BC in PS4, if they don't put it, it means either they don't want to and don't have any plan to do so (maybe they still don't realize how much fans want it), or are already working secretly on it but still not ready, so planning to put it later (which i hope it's the case)

But for PS3 BC is where it get a bit complicated, i think while it's doable, but not as easy, but again... doable.

C'mooooooooon Sony, give us PS123 BC.

If it turns out to be true, the only reason PS1 is not listed would be due to the PS5’s Blu-ray drive not being able to read cd-roms, only up to dvds. PS1 classics from the ps store would still be playable.

They just have to put PS1 games digitally in the store, and problem solved.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

About that 4chan rumor:

1° Mesh Shaders is part of RDNA2, so PS5 doesn't have it is strange. Only possible explanation is if Sony fill all Mesh Shaders engines in Primitive Shaders (Sony talks in Primitive and MS in Mesh) or even in Geometry engine which is part of RDNA2 too.

The ex-EA dev said mesh shaders were part of DX12 in his latest video but the Geometry engine looked to be Sonys equivalent.

GRIEVEZ

Lets say that knowing how everything looked on PC side in GCN and Bulldozer times I wouldn't be surprised. They almost always overpromise.

I dont know if this applies to console manufactures - considering theres less room for error (your essentially locking down 6-7 years down).

My cat seems to agree, because hes purring while I enter this msg.:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Btw im a PS fan... That doesnt mean I want XSX not to sell bad or fail... I actuallly want it to succeed.... just not as well as Playstation :messenger_beaming:

I honestly believe, they (Sony) are better tuned to the wishes of gamers than MS... (although I had a BLAST with Halo1) - I hope both parties get awesome games!

Moses85

A turkish retailer 😂

This country will get a flyspeck of consoles this year. I don’t think, we will get „realistic“ leak from them.

If something will leak before the official announcement, it will come from a „important“ market.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That still doesn't make sense, everyone knows the PS4 is capable of playing CD'S but everyone put it down to licence fees for it being disabled
Yet Sony is one of the licence holders for CD along with Phillips
So what's the excuse?

Tiago07

images
The ex-EA dev said mesh shaders were part of DX12 in his latest video but the Geometry engine looked to be Sonys equivalent.
Geometry Engine is part of the RDNA.
We have the Geometry Processor, so probably MS have it too. I think Sony incorporated more pieces of that in their architecture or made the API to fully utilize this.

Last edited:
Would you consider yourself unbiased when comparing the next gen consoles?
Really man is that a question ?

Probably (there is chance, that RDNA2 with that many cores is unstable with higher clock). With price of more unpredictable performance and GPU feeding on CPU power (chances of developers choosing CPU over GPU are as big as for Horizon 2 being XBox exclusive). I still want to know how low PS5 clocks go. Especially CPU, because GPU clocks they given us are very high judging by current generation of RDNA cards (much closer to maximum overclock range than base clocks).
Is not only if is unstable (which can be also in a bigger chip) in order XSX to get a clock locked under any workload they need underclock its systems so when for example a heavy
workload appears in the queue of the CPU for example an AVX the CPU doesn't need to reduce its clock in order to reduce the peak in consume.

This is traditional approach in the worlds of consoles is not new, has its advantages like constants clock doesn't matter what (if the cooling solution is good enough) but instead
you chip is not using all its potential and even if the system is doing simple things is wasting many energy, for this reason they cannot just increment the clock of one the chips
so easily if they don't control all its SoC as Sony does.

The case of PS5 the only moment when the CPU or GPU will reduce its clocks is when a workload in the CPU/GPU is so heavy than need change its clock in order to be inside
the parameter of energy consume, so its approach is different than the normal follow for the consoles where the termal are rules with lock clocks, yes will exists some situations
where a couple of percent reduction in frequency will be necessary but this allows to Sony to reach so higher frequencies most of times which helps in more things than
only increment the Flops.

Cerny mention an example where if you reduce the clocks by 10% percent because maybe the current workload is so easy to do than is not necessary more than your consume
will be reduce by a 27% percent. So I expect a reduction of only 10% of energy I expect be around 3-3.5% in reduction of clock.

One misconception which we have about the GPU and CPU which is very common see in the PC gaming community is Clock=Use or Clock=Energy consumed, when the reality
is a little more complex, a CPU can be running to 3 GHz doing just simple operation like "8 bit Add" will consume less energy than other doing an AVX operation, you can see that now
in how the CPU in PC reduce its clock in order to not exceed the energy limit set for that chip. The benchmark show a similar consume between 2 chips of the same architure
because both chips are doing the same basics workloads.

So the relationship should be more like this Energy consumed = Clock*Workload and as we know energy consumed is related to heat generated.

But even then those situations where you have running both CPU and GPU to its max clock with heavy workloads for longs periods of time are not common in the videogames,
the videogames are not programs which function is to stress your system, so all this will happens in some specific moments that is why is not recommend for a normal
PC gamer to run stress test in its PCs for long periods of time if they want to have for a long time their components.

Tiago07

You can tell the 4chan rumor is fake from the 1st bullet point where they say PS5 clocks are "unstable" so xbox is better, its an obvious tell that whoever made it up has no clue how the dynamic clocks on PS5 work.
2nd tell is the fact that they keep measuring things in "percentage number better", something fanboys love to do and would mean nothing to developers. what does 30% better on xbox mean? 30% more fun? 30% higher framerate? 30% higher res? 30% higher polycount? They wouldn't be able to tell you because these are all things that will not be consistent between games and cannot be given a percentage number across the board.
Well this is exactly my point, and expresses better than me, thanks. Yes it's funny to use this % of power advantage like every game would have this % of advantage, when we have several benchmarks videos even by biased guys that proof your argument. Sometimes even PS4 Pro outperforms XOX.

Hmm.Not going to be surprised. That Grub guy hinted it with the Mel Gibson pic tweet. Bluepoint did tweet some kind of hints. With a poem.Someone did a good attempt to decipher the poem.Plenty of good guess in the comments too.

With all the Konami rumours and so forth. Wouldn't be surprised those games listed are launch games. Well this is going to keep going until August. LOL.. Well I'll stick around until PS5 launches.

Last edited:

HAL-01

That still doesn't make sense, everyone knows the PS4 is capable of playing CD'S but everyone put it down to licence fees for it being disabled
So what's the excuse?
i was under the impression that we don't know if the ps4 drive can read cds, did someone tear it down and find the necessary diode? We know to be able to read cd, dvd and blu ray you need infrared, red and blue diodes respectively. infrared could've been cut to reduce cost, as it could have on PS5

If it can read cds, it might be related to the copy protection system used for PS1 discs. the reader on the ps1 was able to tell a a particular wave pattern in the way the data was burned to the cd, something the PS5's drive probably can't do

ethomaz

Banned
So what's the excuse?
PS4 drive lasers can’t read CDs.
To add CD support you should add an addiction laser that will increase the cost of the drive.

BTW BD and DVD lasers are not backward compatible... PS4 drive already has two lasers (BD and DVD).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I have a lot of PS3 games waiting on my shelves in great condition and would love to play MGS 4 on my PS5 as soon as I buy it. I also still have some PS1 and PS2 games lying around somewhere though I don't know if they are in a readable condition.

I've sold all my old stuff. :messenger_crying: I didn't have PS2/3 as part of my regular collection, I did pick up a PS2 slim used and played a few things. But, if I ever stumbled upon anything interesting, it would be great to have an easy way to play.

Bonsaibäumchen Bonsaibäumchen , I'm not familiar with any of those, but I have a lot of old favorites there (more western in style I guess). Even some of the puzzle/rythem games like PaRappa the Rapper or Intelligent Qube would be fun to revisit. Some of my favorites of the time I couldn't take revisiting (the Tomb Raider graphics are just too bad for me).

aclar00

As much as I enjoy watching fan made boot up sequences, they don't make sense.

Sony is saying the system is "speed". Why would their bootup sequence take 5-10 seconds (some fan made stuff is closer to 15 seconds).

I suspect it will probably only do that the first time you load it, and then can be changed from the settings to literally just start up within a second of pressing the power button.

i think it can definitely be faster, but maybe there will be a requirement for cold startups so not to fry the system? If in rest mode, then maybe wont need it due to mofe power draw from the console? Just me guess....either that or you can skip it by pushing X or change in settings like you said.

Dude when I see all this shit I wish Sony’s gonna bring back the old ps1 cases.

im hyped as fuck

Yeah man, i don't understand why they haven't made more games like blaze & blue ( 4 player locsl coop rpg with several different classes different regions/dungeons leveling, items, bossfights and so on) or azure dreams (procedural generated Tower with monsters that can be tamed/hatched, managing/upgrading village simdating ). I really liked these games. Haven't found anything like that for ages. Not in this quality at least. (Well nostalgia might be blinding me though)

GRIEVEZ

Yeah man, i don't understand why they haven't made more games like blaze & blue ( 4 player locsl coop rpg with several different classes different regions/dungeons leveling, items, bossfights and so on) or azure dreams (procedural generated Tower with monsters that can be tamed/hatched, managing/upgrading village simdating ). I really liked these games. Haven't found anything like that for ages. Not in this quality at least. (Well nostalgia might be blinding me though)
Check out Lufia 2, if you are ok with 2d sprites (mb mobile
MGS remake by BP would be fucking awesome. It's one of my favorite games ever.

But this BC stuff is not true, I just don't see it happening.
Everyones talking about MGS and here im. Waiting for a Metal Gear remake - seriously... this game hasnt received a remake/remaster....

Its been over 3 decades since its release and has enough going for it, to make it attractive for all gamers (its in South Africa, it would make sense after mgs5, few people "know" why Gray Fox became a cyborg ninja or his backstory, who was snake when he was a newbie, etc)

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I wondering if anyone could help me, I've looked everywhere for a good answer but cannot seem to find one. I understand a lot of next-gen specs but something I still find confusing is the GPU bandwidth, PS5 GPU bandwidth is 448 GB/s right? what does that mean though and how is it different from things like the I/O

schaft0620

i want MGS remake over Demon Souls. Demon Souls is a niche game. MGS is a blockbuster.

I think a Demon Souls remake would be awful and I have been screaming for MGS from the day BluePoint mentioned their next game. However, it could be a long time before BB2 and Elden Ring so its a big get for fans of the series.

EDIT: Is this accurate? Only 87k played the game? That can't be right.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think a Demon Souls remake would be awful and I have been screaming for MGS from the day BluePoint mentioned their next game. However, it could be a long time before BB2 and Elden Ring so its a big get for fans of the series.

EDIT: Is this accurate? Only 87k played the game? That can't be right.

87k players from these that signed (4.4m) the site played the game.

At the home page you have the total number of profiles tracked.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Metal Gear Solid by Bluepoint
Silent Hill by Japan Studios
It all makes sense now
I reckon Castlevania rumours are true as well.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Sooo i've finally catched up on all posts.
I would love if we could stop making fun of twitter posts finally.
I think this whole "look what xyz posted" stuff really derails this thread and degrades the speculation thread a whole lot.
Please let us stop interpreting MS Twitter/News posts in petty ways.
Also please make sure you read those twitter posts and check the twitter user handles before posting them here. If it is a parody account please be so kind to say so directly so other people won't take it for something real.

Even as a big sony fan this thread is way to heavy in sonys favor. I don't want this to be some "xsx/ms discord channel" type of thread.

I agree on the Twitter feedback, we've had our fill I think. Have to disagree on the opinion of the thread being so slanted. It is RIGHT NOW as not everyone is posting and there is all this build up to Sony's reveal, sure. But from the time I joined until now I've seen the forums slide back and forth. Sure enough, when there's a bunch of hot MS news this thread and the forum will buzz with MS energy. It's just cyclical man. MAYBE it's technically slanted stronger to one side or the other, but it isn't half as much as you might think if you dropped into the thread today to take that pulse check. My opinion at any rate. That's one of the reasons I've always liked this site. People aren't as sensitive as say...that other site (in general) and you can get good information on Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. There are fans of each, fans of all and then a few who really don't care too much and are good with everything. But yeah, if someone just joined today and read the last 10 pages or so, you'd definitely think the forum was full of Sony fans and not much else. But it will change and even out. Bank on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom