• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey.

Or more like this...

frd8FnHRG5JCYpT8MjL6y7-1200-80.jpg

Or this one is great and has just looks like it'll be super fast...

ps5_dv5.png

I like.

But if the rumours are to be true...neither are anything close.

sircaw

Banned
Looking in at that Matt weighs in on ps5 thread, it really pains me to see the lengths xbox fan boys are going to, to try and discredit anything positive about the ps5..

The amount of rubbish, false hoods and just pure bullshit analysis is staggering and is really starting to make my head spin.

It's like common sense and all logical thinking has disappeared.

Sometime's i really think there is a group of them, purposely going around with the sole intention just to troll these forums.

I wish Sony and Microsoft would hurry the hell up and release some new info on games so we can move onto something that everyone can enjoy.

Sometime's i really think there is a group of them, purposely going around with the sole intention just to troll these forums.

I don't know if that's true. It could be since it's the same ones trolling it could appear that way. Not sure if I would go so far as to claim that they are working together.

On a positive note I've seen many Xbox fans be respectful. Those are the ones that I don't ignore. The others are just not worth my time.

I suggest others do the same because it really helps.

Faithless83

Banned
Jeez, that remake sucked out every drop of charm of the original.
I hope they do a better job of increasing the quality of the assets without totally losing the look and feel that make bloodbourne what it is.
I agree that they took some liberties with it but I don't think it sucked the charm of the original. But in the end that's entirely down to preferences.

With SOC and Uncharted Collection IMHO they proved that they are very capable.

sircaw

Banned
I don't know if that's true. It could be since it's the same ones trolling it could appear that way. Not sure if I would go so far as to claim that they are working together.

On a positive note I've seen many Xbox fans be respectful. Those are the ones that I don't ignore. The others are just not worth my time.

I suggest others do the same because it really helps.
Its probably my own fault i don't have any people on ignore.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Looking in at that Matt weighs in on ps5 thread, it really pains me to see the lengths xbox fan boys are going to, to try and discredit anything positive about the ps5..

The amount of rubbish, false hoods and just pure bullshit analysis is staggering and is really starting to make my head spin.

It's like common sense and all logical thinking has disappeared.

I wish Sony and Microsoft would hurry the hell up and release some new info on games so we can move onto something that everyone can enjoy.

What you mean "sometimes you think" there was a thread and evidence how tht discord purposely targeted Playstation fans and out out propoganda news. It's a fact at this point not an assumption.

J_Gamer.exe

Ah trying to get in the mind of MS strategy is as bad as fanboys concerend about ps5 overheating and sustained narrative, its not cricket but I have had similar thoughts to why MS marketing showed what they did (It was their choice and selection from hundreds of games, they could of done anything)

All we can comment on is what has been shown, and the fast loading shown so far clearly suggests ps5 SSD is CURRENTLY miles ahead, as confirmed by Sweeny and Matt at Era.

Well basically am wondering if MS wer happy to show it as last gen without code change is closer than next gen once Sony uses their breakthrough IO to full potential.

Just on this overheating nonsense...

Some good point made in this... articles knew the dev kit had vents all over and mentioned overheating and suddenly as soon as its revealed it has fans underneath now it won't be... madness.

Maybe this old video feom 5 years ago is where all the rumours originated. 😃

This guy was really unlucky, I guess thats what happens when you buy a ps5 from ebay 5 or so years before release LOL. It's a joke obviously. It's near the end.

As a side note he was also very unlucky buying a xbox one.... LOL

Neo Blaster

Anywhos back to SSssssD, its not just simple math because as it was stated by tim sweeny, if you buy a PC SSD with higher bandwidth of compressed vs uncompressed speeds, you still run into overhead I/O problems, which PS5 does a great job of solving as its been proven to the point we are now beating a dead horse.

However, XsX *also* solves the I/O overhead with half the speed of compressed vs uncompressed of PS5 SSD, it just does it a different way along with its own software implementation. So XsX is fast and gets the job done and is sufficient where you can *also* develop and tailor games around its SSD, along with:

-More TFLOPS
-More RAM bandwidth
-Slightly Faster CPU
-More Compute Units

VA doesn't have half the custom hardware Sony put in it's I/O solution, and then you think they'll close the gap with software?

yewles1

Hey guys, I'm curious, I wonder what speed engineers managed to get out of PS5 exactly, anyone willing to ask on twitter for me? I'm legit afraid saying things in such a wrong way that I might get smitten down by one of Tim's TRUTHFACT thunderbolts. :messenger_anxious:

Neo Blaster

I agree with you @Corndog but..umm…….

MasterCornholio, dont you think the CPU and (mostly) the GPU is going to be overwhelmed with all this data being thrown at it? its like you trying to drink water from your mouth from someone throwing water from the water cooler bottle

HU86KqZ.jpg
And XSX's CUs could be thirsty waiting for more water, that goes both ways. In the end, we'll only know when the games are out and a direct comparison can be made.

Considering what that SSD seemingly is capable of, I begin to wonder if I misspoke regarding the specs long ago.

Would be interesting to see if Sony upgraded any specifications prior to hitting manufacturing(if I recall, they upgraded PS4 RAM late in the game) to close the gap a little bit more on XSX overall.

I"d think that would have leaked, but you never know. Soony runs a tight ship. I always look at it this way, no matter the specs, devs pull out some incredible stuff.

See generations before, where devs squeezed so much out of systems, even with weaker specs. FFVIIR and TLOU2 are incredible lookers, as well as God of War, which run on Jaguar and small GPUs.

TLZ

Banned
Damn this live scroll is really messed up isn't it? I just realized I have been reading the same posts repeatedly on different pages, and when there is a notification it shows the posts I read once more on top of it. It is like Inception lol
That's why I prefer blue.

LED Guy?

Banned
I’m really happy that PlayStation is dominating the gaming market like no other, now some of you may say “Hey stop being a fanboy” & things like that.

But when you really think about it, Sony is doing something that we all really want, yeah they may have imperfections here and there, but what they say always is that they are committed to bringing out AAA single player (and even Multiplayer too) experiences & exclusives so that they’ll stay 100% “committed to dedicated hardware” and look at how they keep pushing gaming forward with graphical quality, cinematics, motion-capture and just overall gameplay fidelity and polish that only them (especially Naughty Dog) and (Rockstar Games) can do with TLOU 2 looks to be pushing ahead of Rockstar’s efforts, look at how The Last of Us Part 2 is going to be, a benchmark in graphics, animations and attention-to-detail, it’ll be a masterpiece I know that for a fact, just read all the latest previews about the game, they are praising like it’s the best game ever!

Now whereas with Microsoft, they just don’t seem to know what they’ll be doing or what direction they’re taking, you’ll find them wanting to please “everyone” or the “BILLIONS of gamers around the world” and mobile devices and all that, this would result in them not satisfying the console gamers who built their Xbox brand to what it is now, now they’re making Game Pass, and the fact that they put their exclusives day and date in that service is really making a disservice to their games, which degrades the quality and the overall ambitions of what their games are trying to achieve.

Sony said that “putting our exclusives day and date” on PS Now service would degrade their quality and would make them less ambitious, because think about it, making a huge AAA game without MP (meaning no milking of context nor Microtransactions) like Horizon Zero Dawn or The Last of Us Part II and putting those huge ass games onto Game Pass service DAY ONE would result in massive losses, because many people would just subscribe for that service to play those games once and then be done with those games, it’s like you’ve played Horizon & TLOU 2 for $10 only, that would result in huge losses.

I have another example, what if there are so many games on a $10 subscription service but the top 10 games are dominating that service, then the lesser played games will not be able to survive and won’t get any revenue because they’re games ain’t doing shit in the “most played games”.

That’s why I hate Xbox’s approach and hate Game Pass, fuck their pathetic approach, it would make games feel like mobile games, or filled with MP microtransactions and DLCs and all that shit, or maybe walking simulators just like Hellblade 2 using Unreal Engine 5’s asset flips, so no cost in development really, in 4 or 5 hour game, that’s your Hellblade 2 game on Game Pass.

That sucks!

I want your guys’ opinions on this.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Hey guys, I'm curious, I wonder what speed engineers managed to get out of PS5 exactly, anyone willing to ask on twitter for me? I'm legit afraid saying things in such a wrong way that I might get smitten down by one of Tim's TRUTHFACT thunderbolts. :messenger_anxious:

You would get owned by Sweeny as your asking the wrog question, as its not about SSD speed.

Its about the milliseconds time it takes to put what is required to the GPU, latency and bottlenecks and time to do the whole transfer the exact parts of geometry data that is needed for that frame. Raw SSD speed is just a small part of the equation.

Sweeny tweeted this in effect in response to that 24 GB/s SSD challenge from Linus et all.

Last edited:

Apologies if it’s frowned upon to link to other forums, but this post is an excellent description of what fixed power draw and variable clocks actually means to real world compute.

The zone in pink is all that matters. Not a theoretical number.

Useful work done = power draw, not frequency.

yewles1

You would get owned by Sweeny as your asking the wrog question, as its not about SSD speed.

Its about the millseconds time it takes to put what is required to the GPU, latency and bottlenecks and time to do the job within a frame. Raw SSD speed is just a small part of the equation.

Sweeny tweeted this in response to that 24 GB/s PC comments from Linus et all.
That's actually part of it, is the I/O complex asynch from the SSD? Was the SRAM handling all the uncompressed assets INSTEAD of GDDR6 RAM as certain rumors suggested? How much latency was reduced to allow almost everything to be handled on software?

Jensen Huang: "Yours for $899. "
Editor of Tom's Hardware: "The more you pay, the more you save. Get tomorrow's technology today".

This is a classic it's gotta be laughed at again (the article):

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes I know we can use google but my question what is the meaning in the context of your sentence. Because if you are talking about
the approach like Nanite they don't use LOD that us why is so good not only for the billions of polygons.

Say what are you saying is an intuition but just before you mentioned ironically "Thanks PS5 SSD Next-Gen Thread OT. ".

How someone complains in that way but just use as argument an intuition while fail in the most incredible way a simple math
operation.

He's simply here to derail and troll the thread with zero knowledge of what he's talking about. Never added a thing to the thread before and will never ever do.

149753.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom