• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I'd wait for actual proof with a real game in gamer's hands.

Remember this PS3 BS? PS3 = 2 TFLOPS

f09d84c9f19ddbaec61eda6f46cb6057.jpg

TLZ

Banned
Broadband SSD?

Does anyone remember the "broadband engine" moniker for Cell and how it would drastically transform the internet infrastructure/fabric?

I'm already getting PS3 vibes from their PR jargon...

This one sounds like they copied Switch PR/marketing:

So everyone buying a PS5 will receive their own personal mini cloud hovering over them 24/7.

Broadband SSD?
WTH is that?

No doubt it's just their way of saying "Our SSD is running on PCIe 4.0 instead of 3.0."

Zen 2 will be the first chipset that supports PCIe 4.0 ... and that's what's going in the PS5.

And yeah, the move from 3.0 to 4.0 may very well result in transfer speeds of double the fastest NVMe speeds of today.

Expect to see more about PCIe 4.0 NVMe's at Computex.

SonGoku

No doubt it's just their way of saying "Our SSD is running on PCIe 4.0 instead of 3.0."

Zen 2 will be the first chipset that supports PCIe 4.0 ... and that's what's going in the PS5.

And yeah, the move from 3.0 to 4.0 may very well result in transfer speeds of double the fastest NVMe speeds of today.

Expect to see more about PCIe 4.0 NVMe's at Computex.
or maybe the SSD is powered by the CELL BE, that's why Cerny claims its faster than anything on the market :pie_thinking:
Ken Kutaragi redeemed?

Last edited:
Clam shell mode doesn't cut bandwidth in half, you lose some but nowhere near 50%
What memory bus width btw?

if they really go through the hassle to go with 16 GDDR packages than it HAS TO BE 512bit. i thought 16 packages would be cost prohibitive. but i would be very glad if im wrong on that one.

Only one is likely in a console! A 384bit one is pushing it. 512bit is not happening IMO.

well if they got the layout and cost issues figured out, i don't see anything preventing 512bit from the silicon side of things.

Last edited:
if they really go through the hassle to go with 16 GDDR packages than it HAS TO BE 512bit. i thought 16 packages would be cost prohibitive. but i would be very glad if im wrong on that one.

that said, it would be absolute nonsense to have a different memory configuration in the dev kits than in the final design. so if there are really 16 packages of GDDDR6 in there, we will most likely see 16x 1GB @ 512bit in the final console (opposed to 16x 2GB@512 in the dev kit).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So everyone buying a PS5 will receive their own personal mini cloud hovering over them 24/7.
Sony hotline help reference sheet for all game developers

1. For ordering new Playstation dev kits, call the Sales Department. Call 1-800-555-5555, ext. #1 from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm PST

2. For technical help regarding using Playstation dev kits or repairing faulty equipment, call Technical Support. Call 1-800-555-5555, ext. #2 from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm PST

3. For help determining appropriateness of content, SJW issues, Anime vs Western art style judgement, please click the button on the front of your Playstation dev kit that looks like this. A robot sentry will answer any questions 24/7, followed by human intervention, followed by a ruling from Sony executive management

CD095515

Last edited:

Xyphie

512-bit bus would be going back to GCN 1.0-type level bandwidth per unit of performance, before they had DCC and such which seems highly unlikely. 256-bit on the other hand would be right around what they ship their current consumer GPUs with (~40GBps/Tflop) given reasonable performance estimates + some extra to spare for the CPU.

Last edited:
512-bit bus would be going back to GCN 1.0-type level bandwidth per unit of performance, before they had DCC and such which seems highly unlikely. 256-bit on the other hand would be right around what they ship their current consumer GPUs with (~40GBps/Tflop) given reasonable performance estimates + some extra to spare for the CPU.

console bandwidth has historically always been higher than the PC Counterparts. i think there's a reason for that.

if the 12,8TF rumor is true, there's no way we will see only 256-bit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
console bandwidth has historically always been higher than the PC Counterparts. i think there's a reason for that.

if the 12,8TF rumor is true, there's no way we will see only 256-bit.
PS5 and Anaconda sure seem pigeon holed into this 12 TF range.

Either the gaming public is smart as Einstein, or people have no clue what's going on an they are simply tagging along with 12 TF because all these rumours say so. lol

PS5 and Anaconda sure seem pigeon holed into this 12 TF range.

Either the gaming public is smart as Einstein, or people have no clue what's going on an they are simply tagging along with 12 TF because all these rumours say so. lol

well maybe it's because the 12,8 TF rumor is one the few substantial rumors in this ocean of bullcrap (because there were two sequential leaks with information that quite perfectly complemented each other without being the same)

Ps5 ssd is quicker in loading a PS4 game they still haven't shown how quick it is in loading proper ps5 games and the quick traversal in the city on Spiderman they showed was simply due to faster memory and not larger memory size it's simply the same accets on a single frame but just streamed quicklier

Ar¢tos

We are 10 months from any official confirmation of specs (assuming February reveal) and we get more than 1 new leak everyday. This is getting tiresome...

Cell BE is back baby!

"The GPU codenamed Kugoson its targeting 12 to 14 teraplots"

Teraplots? What's a teraplot? Is that some sort of advanced allotment? Will all PlayStation gamers be able to grow their own vegetables while playing H:ZD 2?

"Don't just enjoy virtual food in game when your PS5 can produce actual carrots and potatoes in real time! That's the 5D experience. This is for the growers."

ANIMAL1975

Arturus is a GPU codename, likely from Navi.

Cell BE is back baby!
"Sony is trying really hard to get 24GB of unified HBM3 memory with bandwidth nearing 3TB/s to meet the demands of the heavily customized Navi chip, the Zen2 CPU and the CELL2"

It's happening guys, ps3 retro special sauce!

Edit.:
SonGoku SonGoku what is your name spelled backwards doing in the GPU codename 🤔

Last edited:

Ellery

Sweet. That sony event gave me a lot of information I was wondering about and makes me even more hyped for the PS5.

I am extremely happy with the direction they are going of faster loading times and also the benefits of it during gaming (increased render distance and speed).

TeamGhobad

Banned
PS5 having Navi Exclusivity is a mega bomb. it lines up with nexbox being weaker. MS can't be happy with AMD right now once again they are getting shafted by AMD. MS should retaliate and gimp windows on their HW.

PS5 having Navi Exclusivity is a mega bomb. it lines up with nexbox being weaker. MS can't be happy with AMD right now once again they are getting shafted by AMD. MS should retaliate and gimp windows on their HW.
No need, AMD is already weaker than intel and nVidia. Regardless though, there are a lot of rumors of Xbox having Navi also.

TeamGhobad

Banned
No need, AMD is already weaker than intel and nVidia. Regardless though, there are a lot of rumors of Xbox having Navi also.

sure rumors. but AMD flat out said Navi is for ps5. in all interviews they have had about navi they mention playstation. they flat out said sony invested in Navi R&D, it not crazy to assume sony made an exclusivity deal with amd.

I have yet to see any evidence of MS getting shafted by AMD.

XO bigger SoC less powerful than ps4.

Last edited:
sure rumors. but AMD flat out said Navi is for ps5. in all interviews they have had about navi they mention playstation. they flat out said sony invested in Navi R&D, it not crazy to assume sony made an exclusivity deal with amd.
Could it be that is the case because Sony announced the technology they are using and Microsoft didn't? AMD can't say anything and that's most likely due to an NDA in place till E3.

Last edited:

FranXico

Who's to say MS didn't also do their own R&D with AMD? There probably are customizations for each of the consoles.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Could it be that is the case because Sony announced the technology they are using and Microsoft didn't? AMD can't say anything and that's most likely due to an NDA in place till E3.

maybe. but they were talking NAVI and playstation way before Cernys interview. sure this is all speculation and speculation goes both ways. its fully possible navi is ps5 exclusive and nexbox is weaker.

Who's to say MS didn't also do their own R&D with AMD? There probably are customizations for each of the consoles.

possible but there is no mention of it.

Last edited:
I have yet to see any evidence of MS getting shafted by AMD.

I doubt this is happening (MS getting shafted). MS and Sony are both using AMDs semi-custom APUs. Each can select from existing technology (e.g. Vega, Navi, Zen CPU, etc.) to build their respective APUs for the upcoming consoles. AMD is not going to cut off options for paying customers. Additionally, AMD will work and customize certain aspects based on the requirements of MS/Sony. Navi may very well be "exclusive" to PS5. However, if it is it will be because MS decided not to use it in their APU design and chose a different path. Ultimately, I think the specs of these two new consoles will be very similar and the differences related to memory choice/design and any customizations done in the APU.

xool

No. Navi isn't confirmed exclusive Just rumours (June 2018) https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...ed-navi-for-sonys-playstation-5-vega-suffered .. it's just a blog post on Forbes

afaik (as of May 2019) it's still just rumours https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/navi-sony-ps5-hardware-exclusivity

maybe. but they were talking NAVI and playstation way before Cernys interview. sure this is all speculation and speculation goes both ways. its fully possible navi is ps5 exclusive and nexbox is weaker.

According to the recent AMD leaks Navi 10 and Vega 64 are pretty on par with one another. I honestly can't wait until they just announce the damn consoles.

SonGoku

i really dont want to have this debate again..lets agree its less powerful and AMD designed both.
Im curious really, first time i see this perspective...
Their SoC was bigger and weaker because of SRAM taking die space, MS made the design choice to go with DDR3 + SRAM because they coulnt take the risk with GDDR5.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Im curious really, first time i see this perspective...
Their SoC was bigger and weaker because of SRAM taking die space, MS made the design choice to go with DDR3 + SRAM because they coulnt take the risk with GDDR5.

yes and AMD who served as a consultant should have said don't do that its stupid giving up that much die space for a measly 32mb at 102gb/s.
if you want that much ram why not split the pool, or some other suggestion. instead of having 1/3 of your SoC being esram.

SonGoku

yes and AMD who served as a consultant should have said don't do that its stupid giving up that much die space for a measly 32mb at 102gb/s.
if you want that much ram why not split the pool, or some other suggestion. instead of having 1/3 of your SoC being esram.
AMD couldn't have known either
Sony took the risk with GDDR5 because they could go with 4GB if higher density chips weren't ready in time. MS couldn't afford that risk because of their media box design they needed 8GB.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Sony took the risk with GDDR5 because they could go with 4GB if higher density chips weren't ready in time. MS couldn't afford that risk because of their media box design they needed 8GB.

could have gone split pool. but i know hindsight is 20/20 either way giving up that much SoC is not good we know that now. and MS learned it the hard way.

xool

The [embedded eSRAM] strategy worked for them on the 360 .. which will have affected their thinking .. but on the 360 they didn't have a 12 vs 20 CU difference between them - it's too big a gap to bridge.

Last edited:

SonGoku

could have gone split pool. but i know hindsight is 20/20 either way giving up that much SoC is not good we know that now. and MS learned it the hard way.
Maybe 4GB GDDR5 for games and 4GB DDR3 for OS, yeah in hindsight that would have been a good fall back plan in case higher density GDDR5 chips weren't ready. However i seriously doubt MS was unaware of this, there must have been other unknown factors that ultimately led to SRAM. Maybe cost?
The strategy worked for them on the 360 .. which will have affected their thinking .. but on the 360 they didn't have a 12 vs 20 CU difference between them - it's too big a gap to bridge.
Common misconception. 360 design philosophy is nothing like XO
360 main memory pool was GDDR3 which was the fastest graphics memory back then used in discrete GPUs

360 would be equivalent to PS4 memory setup + eDRAM
how would a ps4 with 4gb of GDDR5 look? still more powerful than xo im sure.
Worse textures, more pop in.

xool

how would a ps4 with 4gb of GDDR5 look? still more powerful than xo im sure.

They'd have to cut the video capture feature (1GB+) and the greedy OS system (2GB+, back to then tens of MB on PS3) .. otherwise they'd have nearly no memory at all.

Plus if you half the chips (not half the capacity of the chips) your bus is now half width too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom