• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My PC gaming friend's dad works at Intel where they've been spying on AMD to make sure they don't get to far ahead of PC with consoles and he said, "Nothing to worry about, boys."
kissclipart-whew-emoticon-clipart-smiley-emoticon-clip-art-482c5f69af2d12a8.png

Mr.XtremeGamer

Neo Member
Here's a hoot. First people were insisting PS5 only had software RT when it was unclear in the first Wired article, then when Cerny addressed that directly and said it was hardware in the second one, it's this. How would you even make RT only applicable to shadows, makes no sense.

And that's before I noticed the username :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's just an xbox fanboy (the very definition of it) twisting the narrative to fit his own agenda against a platform he has a massive animosity towards. 6 Years have passed since the release of the ps4 and that guy still uses excuses and pretends to know what he's talking about, when in reality he's so clueless that it's just ridiculous. His statements don't make any sense. I called him out on his BS and mentioned about that so called "secret" second gpu that was in the xbox one and next thing you know, he blocked me. So misterxmedia is just a moron who can't handle it when the real facts are thrown straight at his face. RT existed long before Microsoft even came up with the idea of DXR, it just needed hardware capable enough to run it. Microsoft never patented it or licensed any hardware to anybody for raytracing, nvidia made it themselves and they barely scratched the surface as raytracing hardware continues to evolve. They are just damage controlling alongside their favourite moron misterxmedia after Cerny confirmed what they didn't want him to confirm. Rt on just shadows? Yeah not a smart statement to make, the minute you implement raytracing in hardware you can employ it in just about anywhere, so long as the hardware can handle it and it's optimised, Raytraced shadows, reflections and global illumination (the two most demanding), indirect/diffuse lighting, ambient occlusion, hell even sound which killzone shadowfall used a variation of ingame in conjunction with a limited form of raytraced reflections to increase immersion back in 2013. Anybody can use dedicated raytracing hardware so long as it's available, it's not exclusive to anybody. And it's a good thing most people recognise misterxmedia as who he is, just a mindless, feral xbox fanatic who would do everything to promote his favourite platform and push his nonsensical opinions on others. I bet he doesn't even really know what a gpu is. Let that xbox fanboy have his fun, he's going to be the one who's going to be laughed at and humiliated in the end, not that he hasn't humiliated himself countless of times.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
The day Phil Spencer leaves is the day Xbox dies. Peter Moore should have never left. The guy is genius. Look at what he's done with Liverpool.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Although its nice to see a bit or realism and reality sink in for some people, instead of '14tf+' and 'PS5 will be as good or better than a 2080 Super' shite that has been in this thread, its also a bit ridiculous to think PS5 and Scarlett will be 7TF. People can talk about 'different architecture' and use buzzwords, but no way would they release 7TF consoles when the OneX is already 6TF and will be 3+ years old by the time next gen starts. Especially Microsoft.

This talk, that next gen will be about framerate and speed is somewhat concerning to me.
Even with a 7-8tflop GPU i do expect more sophisticated rendering techniques and quality.
I basically see it as an impossibility to not get better visuals next gen.
Take the best of this gen visually (RDR2) that can be achieved at 4k on the X1X, now the zen2 cpu and ssd would enable that game to be 60fps and super fast loading, but even at 7tflops(rdna) the dev still has a lot more resources to increase visual fedelity.

The only time I would accept no visuals upgrade would be a big upgrade in world, NPC and gameplay realism, E.g If GTA6 was next gen only but had RDR2 level visuals but had many more Npcs, with realistic behaviors, routine and interactions, 80% enterable interiors, npcs with complete routine(they go to work, go home, cook dinner, eat dinner, watch TV etc) and has a vast world where you can plane travel vast distance to whole new locations. If this was the case I would not mind if visuals remained very similar to this gen.
But this is not going to be the case with all games and I hope games like uncharted or gears continue to set new visual standards.

Framrate and accessibility is a great area to improve, but if there is not a decent visual upgrade the fans will but very disappointed.

Interesting post:
Kleegamefan said:
Honestly, and this is the last thing I will say about it, but I think some people are going to be disappointed at how similar PS5 and Scarlett hardware are.

It's my belief ( As in I don't really know) that the biggest division will be Exclusive games, UI and services.

It kinda reinforces my theory that both consoles will have a common APU (~400mm2) designed by Sony/MS & AMD. The only difference will be clocks/cooling system and the software stack (OS, UI, APIs, exclusives, services).

Azure-cloud based consoles might even be dual-boot (FreeBSD/PS5, Windows/XB2) for all I know.

I can't wait to see the meltdowns if this is true...

Fake

Interesting post:

In what way? This was discussed a long long time ago that PS5 and Scarlet will have almost similar specs. No big surprise. Unless both choise other company rather than AMD, consider this to be normal in future consoles.
Damn, even old DF videos talk about that (about how boring will be because next gen are similar in specs).

Last edited:
why’d there be meltdowns if both are peddling the exact same mass market $449 boxes?
More like $499 IMHO and it'll be worth it.

What I'm thinking is that perhaps the Azure partnership between Sony and MS might be the start of something deeper and more long-term, including hardware R&D.

In what way? This was discussed a long long time ago that PS5 and Scarlet will have almost similar specs. No big surprise. Unless both choise other company rather than AMD, consider this to be normal in future consoles.
Damn, even old DF videos talk about that.
Well, some people still believe we're gonna see a large gulf (300 vs 400mm2, $399 vs $499). I don't think that'll be the case.

Both consoles must have had a lot of prototypes and experimental APUs. Doesn't mean it's the final design.

IIRC, PS4 Pro had a 2nd SKU option with a Zen1 CPU (according to OsirisBlack), but it was canned. Or maybe it wasn't canned from an R&D perspective and it became a proto-PS5. ;)

Fake

Well, some people still believe we're gonna see a large gulf (300 vs 400mm2, $399 vs $499). I don't think that'll be the case.
If are the same people who keep ignoring almost 225 pages of conversation, so yes. Even that DF thread people keeping saying 'hate the final design', but they don't read the article, watch the video or even read the other members post. Its hard to take those person account for this.

Aceofspades

Banned
Interesting post:

It kinda reinforces my theory that both consoles will have a common APU (~400mm2) designed by Sony/MS & AMD. The only difference will be clocks/cooling system and the software stack (OS, UI, APIs, exclusives, services).

Azure-cloud based consoles might even be dual-boot (FreeBSD/PS5, Windows/XB2) for all I know.

Are you telling me that Microsoft talented HW engineers and unlimited cash reserves couldn't design a console that outperforms PS5? What happened to the mighty Anaconda? Lol

Unlike Sony, Microsoft definitely needs any advantage over PS5.

Fake

Are you telling me that Microsoft talented HW engineers and unlimited cash reserves couldn't design a console that outperforms PS5? What happened to the mighty Anaconda? Lol
To be honest, this is those dumbass Xbox insiders fault for letting their mind blow by wired articles.
Well, unless Microsoft have a spy inside the Sony PS5 headquarters, its hard to know the specs for make a proper comparison. Even more hard is to make perfomance x price.

Last edited:
Interesting post:

No shit, your theory ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's not a matter of talent.

It's a matter of economies of scale. If MS can pony up some cash to secure 7nm+ wafers and manufacture bigger and more performant chips and Sony in exchange offered them their RT secret sauce, then why not? Win-win.

One thing's for sure: both companies will use the exact same cloud infrastructure (Azure) due to economies of scale, even though this scenario would sound crazy 1-2 years ago. Maybe hardware R&D is the inevitable next step. That's all I'm saying. :)

PS5 will also exist in the cloud, not just in retail form. It would make sense to have a common APU just for that.

Okay this is how I understand memory, the CPU or GPU fetches from memory say u have 8gb of assets on a 8gb card so your program will run as quick depending on your memory speeds as in bandwidth and so forth so I'm trying to figure out how the rumoured ssd virtual ram will work cause it isn't as fast as graphics ram I mean if it's 4gb/s then even if it's 64gb of ssd memory available it's still too slow, you need 30fps as a minimum so 4gb/30 FPS = 0.1 GB of assets in a single frame which is pointless cause current games use 5.6gb+ vram usage per frame, and the rumoured 48gb gddr6 at 580gb/s ÷ 30fps = 19.3 GB of vram usage in a single 30fps frame so why go with 48gb if 24gb is more efficient cause u won't see 48gb of data in a frame or a scene? Unless you double the bandwidth! Anyway I just needed some clarification if there's professionals in this subject!

I have no idea what you are trying to say but I don't think anyone is expecting or even said the SSD will be swapping data on a per frame basis. However, for most purposes, and especially if the RAM pool is large, one or two seconds is enough time (if the loading is fast enough) to give the illusion of instantaneous.

Like if you were going to instantly teleport to another area on an open world map, it will take you a few seconds just to pick where (and since its SSD it could literally be preloading whatever you are pointing at on the map as you move the cursor around), and then if they add in a "are you sure?" prompt, by the time you hit X and the prompt fades away it could have loaded enough of the close surrounding destination area so that you immediately teleport. It would then only take a few more seconds to load the rest of the data, which you wouldn't even notice because your in game speed wouldn't allow you to move fast enough to go past the initial load area anyway.

It isnt going to be loading textures per frame to have like 200 gigs of textures in a scene...

I have no idea what you are trying to say but I don't think anyone is expecting or even said the SSD will be swapping data on a per frame basis. However, for most purposes, and especially if the RAM pool is large, one or two seconds is enough time (if the loading is fast enough) to give the illusion of instantaneous.

Like if you were going to instantly teleport to another area on an open world map, it will take you a few seconds just to pick where (and since its SSD it could literally be preloading whatever you are pointing at on the map as you move the cursor around), and then if they add in a "are you sure?" prompt, by the time you hit X and the prompt fades away it could have loaded enough of the close surrounding destination area so that you immediately teleport. It would then only take a few more seconds to load the rest of the data, which you wouldn't even notice because your in game speed wouldn't allow you to move fast enough to go past the initial load area anyway.

It isnt going to be loading textures per frame to have like 200 gigs of textures in a scene...
So why is the rumoured ssd virtual ram capacity 32-64 gigs I mean if it's say 4gb/s then u don't need all that memory with 24 GB of fast gddr6 makes me think they'll just use that ssd as how they use normal ssd's to load levels faster but not assets per scene as u said, my point is PS4 has 170gb/s of 8gb that's 5.6 GB of vram at 30fps and 2.8 at 60 which makes sense but 64gb of ssd virtual ram and 48gb gddr6 580gb/s doesn't make sense it's alot of ram with slow bandwidth it's not economical it looks like a waste of money or maybe the rumours are false!

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was refreshing my memory of Midsummer Night's Dream, and evidently Oberon is the King of Faeries who puts magic drops in people's eyes to make them fall in love with the next thing they see. This has to be the PS5 SoC. 🤭

Now that we've had the 5700-series AiBs for a bit I decided to revisit the 3DMark results database and here's some random data:
-125 results for Ryzen 5 2600+RX 5700 are over 20K
-116 results for Ryzen 5 3600+RX 5700 are over 21K
-73 results for Ryzen 5 2600+RX 5700XT are over 21K
-704 results for Ryzen 5 3600+5700XT are over 22K
-51 results for Ryzen 5 1600+5700XT are over 20K

Apisak's "20k+" overall Fire Strike score can easily come from a 36 or 40CU Navi 10 variant with as low as a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU. Bigger Navi at 48CUs, or whatever it's going to be, would probably be 23K/24K even with previous gen 6-core CPUs.

Op you are 100 years too late :)

And as for actual usage in PS5 - most likely part of SSD will be reserved to operate like SLC cells giving another faster to access level of memory.

SSD in consoles will most likely be painfully slow QLC or maybe if we are lucky TLC so it'll make sense to move stuff that might need to be accessed soon to it during gameplay.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
vpance vpance

I took it more as an approximation, like ~300mm² and ~350mm². If you believe in the OQA PCB leak, then it is 316mm², likely 16GB GDDR6 18Gbps, and likely 1TB SSD with 4GB DRAM buffer.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I'm going to say February or mid March is the reveal. Makes perfect financial sense since the industry fiscal year is March 31. End out strong and enter on a positive to entice investors.

BlackTron

Okay this is how I understand memory, the CPU or GPU fetches from memory say u have 8gb of assets on a 8gb card so your program will run as quick depending on your memory speeds as in bandwidth and so forth so I'm trying to figure out how the rumoured ssd virtual ram will work cause it isn't as fast as graphics ram I mean if it's 4gb/s then even if it's 64gb of ssd memory available it's still too slow, you need 30fps as a minimum so 4gb/30 FPS = 0.1 GB of assets in a single frame which is pointless cause current games use 5.6gb+ vram usage per frame, and the rumoured 48gb gddr6 at 580gb/s ÷ 30fps = 19.3 GB of vram usage in a single 30fps frame so why go with 48gb if 24gb is more efficient cause u won't see 48gb of data in a frame or a scene? Unless you double the bandwidth! Anyway I just needed some clarification if there's professionals in this subject!

hruPkE4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom