• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
d7jrRai.jpg

Lethal01

... what thing?

Female Lombaxes have no tails, The developers are extremely aware of this but chose to put a tail on them..
Now I'm not saying that couldn't have just added one anyway to look cool, but people are acting like the theory is coming from nowhere when she has one of the strongest possible indicators that she's male.

Of course. It looks like a PS4 game and UE5 will be released end of 2021.

Well it's not like moving to unreal engine 5 is going to stop games from looking like they could be on ps4

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You've just described the original idea behind an always online console, which is really bad.
Well, how else would Sony (or any console manufacturer) assure that one physical copy be unable to redeem multiple digital copies across multiple accounts or that one physical be unable to redeem a digital copy and be used in another console to play a game directly off the disc (thus allowing two people to enjoy a game for the price of one copy)?

splattered

I started out this generation 90% physical as far as games go and now at the end of the generation i am probably around 90% digital.

Thinking about this next generation i'm wondering if i should start out again with physical games and then eventually switch over to digital?

Games are bound to be even bigger than they are now and we are only getting 1TB of space in the new consoles... that won't hold very many new games.

Eventually we will get larger expansion drives that can match the speed of the internals but that's probably a LONG way off.

Buying a disc these days basically gives you the initial game parts that then have to be updated with huge downloads, but at least you can delete those disc games to make space for different games and maybe download less if you want to revisit it again later?

What is everyone else planning to do out of the gate as far as the new consoles go?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks like it'll be fun but the graphics don't look next gen... certainly not UE5 lol. They need to ramp up the graphics IMO.

It’s not UE5, that was a mistake. This is also an online hack and slash dungeon looter, so compared to the others in the genre, it does look a fair bit more detailed.

Its bigger than I thought, but honestly I should have know better.

TDP for most CPUs and GPUs have been trending upwards for decades. Both the PS5 and XSX are the most power hungry consoles ever. So yes, you'd expect them to bigger than predecessors.
The only exception is the PS4, which was probably the most conservative console design in terms of technology.

FeiRR

Banned
Well, how else would Sony (or any console manufacturer) assure that one physical copy be unable to redeem multiple digital copies across multiple accounts or that one physical be unable to redeem a digital copy and be used in another console to play a game directly off the disc (thus allowing two people to enjoy a game for the price of one copy)?
Exactly the same as in case of PS4, which is checking if the disc is in the drive for games installed from it and checking with your licences in case of downloaded games?

Hard drives are encoded, you can't move games from one system to another without a licence transfer which is done online. It's a compromise between convenience and legality. I expect the discless version to work in the same way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

No doubt it’ll be bigger, but I do think some of these are off based on camera perspective. It’s not just about measuring the ports, especially comparing the PS4 to the PS2/PS3 in that image.

I just measured my launch PS4 next to my PS3 Phat, and it’s not that tiny compared to it like that picture. That picture seems off. Especially the PS2 size as well.

It’s definitely not to scale.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Exactly the same as in case of PS4, which is checking if the disc is in the drive for games installed from it and checking with your licences in case of downloaded games?

Hard drives are encoded, you can't move games from one system to another without a licence transfer which is done online. It's a compromise between convenience and legality. I expect the discless version to work in the same way.
I was responding to a post in which someone suggested the idea of trading a physical copy for a digital copy, which would be pointless if the disc still has to be inserted into the console. My idea is to render the disc essentially unusable after it's used to redeem a digital copy in order to prevent multiple copies from being redeemed with it and to prevent the disc from being used by another account and on another console unit after it's been used to redeem a digital copy.

FeiRR

Banned
I was responding to a post in which someone suggested the idea of trading a physical copy for a digital copy, which would be pointless if the disc still has to be inserted into the console. My idea is to render the disc essentially unusable after it's used to redeem a digital copy in order to prevent multiple copies from being redeemed with it and to prevent the disc from being used by another account and on another console unit after it's been used to redeem a digital copy.
That would be a great option! I know discs have serial numbers and bar codes but does any drive use them for anything? I've never heard of it.

pasterpl

chicken chamber is what is missing in both xbsex and ps5 :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

its slogan is similar to xbsex and they have specified the release date for 12th Nov. So wondering if this is some partnership with ms (buy big bucket of kfc and get xbsex for free ;)

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I know this has been discussed on the thread before but I cannot seem to find the discussions, what do you guys think of Series X games being held back because devs will be forced to make sure games also run on Xbox One and One X, is it simple as scaling the game down to lower resolutions so that they can run on the older hardware?

I know this has been discussed on the thread before but I cannot seem to find the discussions, what do you guys think of Series X games being held back because devs will be forced to make sure games also run on Xbox One and One X, is it simple as scaling the game down to lower resolutions so that they can run on the older hardware?

They'll develop for the Series X and scale down for the others, just like they did for Gears 5 and FH4 for the X1X and X1.

No. It's only MS first parties making games for the next year or 2 ON XOX then it's XSX. It has no bearing on 3rd parties and if XOX is holding anything back so is the PC since all games will be made on that platform forever. The 'concerns' are baseless.

Nickolaidas

Level design and AI scripts are going to take a big hit. For example, if Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was an X Series X game, it wouldn't be designed with dimensional rifts taking you to other dimensions in-game, because the X-Box One X/S do not have hard drives fast enough to process that data in 1-4 seconds. So the idea would have to be scrapped. THAT is how the X Series X will be dragged down by the last-gen X Boxes.

Which is a shame, really.

On the other hand, this means that X-Box exclusives will all run at 60-120 fps.

Last edited:

HAL-01

The Series X will not be able to take into account its extra processing power or SSD when designing the games. Game design critical elements such as AI, physics simulation, level scale and traversal will be limited by the Xbox one. A game designed around an HDD will still have load screens, even though the SSD could technically stream everything in the background seamlessly.

In terms of graphics i dont see it being held back that much, they can always just make the xbox one version run at 720p

geordiemp

They'll develop for the Series X and scale down for the others, just like they did for Gears 5 and FH4 for the X1X and X1.

You cant scale down what Zen2 is doing to a jaguar without changing the games mechanics (Unless you dont really use any of the zen2 power). CPU does not scale like resolution.

I think MS will bring out lockart and drop Xb1s and XB1X quickly, otherwise the current gen will hold back.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Level design and AI scripts are going to take a big hit. For example, if Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was an X Series X game, it wouldn't be designed with dimensional rifts taking you to other dimensions in-game, because the X-Box One X/S do not have hard drives fast enough to process that data in 1-4 seconds. So the idea would have to be scrapped. THAT is how the X Series X will be dragged down by the last-gen X Boxes.

Which is a shame, really.

Its worse than that, see those 15 enemies on XSX or Ps5 or PC, make it 5 or 6 and make them dumber for jaguar - I realy dont know how it will be done, does not make sense..

zaitsu

Banned
I think that Spencer wanting Series X exclusives to also run on an X-Box One S was the biggest mistake they could do in this generation.

We'll see how it'll pan out.
I want one reason beside gamepass to buy XSX. If in July nothing happens I'm going only PS5 this generation. I hate halo, i dont like car,plane games. And gears was fun 3 first times.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I started out this generation 90% physical as far as games go and now at the end of the generation i am probably around 90% digital.

Thinking about this next generation i'm wondering if i should start out again with physical games and then eventually switch over to digital?

Games are bound to be even bigger than they are now and we are only getting 1TB of space in the new consoles... that won't hold very many new games.

Eventually we will get larger expansion drives that can match the speed of the internals but that's probably a LONG way off.

Buying a disc these days basically gives you the initial game parts that then have to be updated with huge downloads, but at least you can delete those disc games to make space for different games and maybe download less if you want to revisit it again later?

What is everyone else planning to do out of the gate as far as the new consoles go?
Regardless I'll be staying 100% digital.. I hope that they confirm PS5 games can still be downloaded/stored on generic external HDD as cold storage and then copied over to the internal if I want to play them, that way hopefully they can remain patched and only have the time it takes to transfer to wait.

He said it before, he didn't like it at first, then he ended liking it, and even finish the game (and the Souls), he tweeted about this, he also liked Nioh games that have few similarities. He also admitted his mistake about his first judgement, and not only that, he fixed it and this is the main guy at Sony that made the Bloodborne deal possible.

It's nothing mind blowing to not like a game at first glimpse and then ending loving the game. It's rare, but not abnormal.
I remember when the game was first shown, everyone at N4G was making fun of the generic medieval game. Guess what happened 😂😂

Nickolaidas

I remember when the game was first shown, everyone at N4G was making fun of the generic medieval game. Guess what happened 😂😂
I remember being blown away by the reveal trailer, being humongously disappointed at the TGS gameplay trailer, gasp at IGN's score calling it a masterpiece, then finally getting it.

And it becoming one of my favorite PS3 games to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom