• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have to make this difficult. It's a separate story. It's own game. I can see where insomniac is going with this

Spiderman 2018
Spiderman MM 2020

Spiderman 2 2022
Spiderman Venom 2024

etc
etc

Shout out to Shawn Layden. Shout out to Playstation division. Fantastic investment. Im sure Peter Parker Spiderman will drop around the movie time.

Insomniac work rate is crazy. Absolute monsters.

Nickolaidas

Looks a lot better in the stills than the trailer. Might be some hope for it yet.
Dusk Golem assures us that the game will undergo some heavy graphical overhaul, because the project originally started as a medium-budget spin off, Revelations 3.
Official Goodbye Volcano High screenshots running on PS5 (PS4/PS5 timed exclusive + PC)

49996379117_277a4cccee_4k.jpg

49996125651_a5b7bd3239_4k.jpg

49996125886_df56bb537b_4k.jpg

49995605378_270846d6f7_4k.jpg

49995605328_5f23b6f577_4k.jpg

49995605273_e29bed37db_4k.jpg

:messenger_neutral:
If this plays like the old Lucasarts adventure games, I'm sold!

ToadMan

The space bar on his MS keyboard is broken or was he drunk when he typed that?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some missed screenshots I didn't see them before with some interesting details:

Kena

49996107876_55355b5669_4k.jpg

49995590098_98bc264f17_4k.jpg

49995588733_b7cb4204b6_4k.jpg

Strangely, this one is a massive 8K! Would there be an 8K mode? Or just the main menu image?

49995589558_bc88d1bd62_o.jpg

Godfall, I'm really liking the PS5 version and looks pretty clean and better lighting and graphics with more stable framerates around 60fps compared to the PC version that is getting massive dislikes on youtube. I loved the pace of the gameplay and looks like fun to me.

49995657973_d857a7efcd_4k.jpg

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

That's a damn good ad for Microsoft! Well done. MS has been working towards this for a while. Basically, it's treating games like the Windows OS market. Be everywhere and compatible with everything. There IS some lure to being able to play the same game whether on your phone, laptop, or gaming rig. It will be interesting to see how this works out for them and if indeed there are any barriers or roadblocks that spring up.

Why do people keep saying Sony will be the only one with supply constraints? Like the pandemic hasn't affected every other manufacturer.
People should ask Foxconn about the amount they're most comfortable with producing after the pandemic hit and messed up a long list of things and basically stop making assumptions about which console will be produced at the higher quantity. Foxconn mass produces the units, it's up to them how many units are produced of each. Some people like to make assumptions that console A will be produced at a higher quantity than console B because reasons. That's not how it works unfortunately.

Last edited:
People should ask Foxconn about amount they're most comfortable with producing after the pandemic hit and messed up a long list of things and basically stop making assumptions about which console will be produced at the higher quantity. Foxconn mass produces the units, it's up to them how many units are produced of each. Some people like to make assumptions that console A will be produced at a higher quantity than console B because reasons. That's not how it works unfortunately.

I'm actually starting to wonder if those one sided rumors is just FUD. I find it weird that Microsoft wouldn't be affected at all.

WhispersintheWind WhispersintheWind heard anything else about this?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

People should ask Foxconn about the amount they're most comfortable with producing after the pandemic hit and messed up a long list of things and basically stop making assumptions about which console will be produced at the higher quantity. Foxconn mass produces the units, it's up to them how many units are produced of each. Some people like to make assumptions that console A will be produced at a higher quantity than console B because reasons. That's not how it works unfortunately.

Weren't more than 80% of Xbox One systems manufactured by Flextronics with only limited numbers coming from Foxconn? Foxconn is far from the only option out there.

Last edited:
Some missed screenshots I didn't see them before with some interesting details:

Kena

49996107876_55355b5669_4k.jpg

49995590098_98bc264f17_4k.jpg

49995588733_b7cb4204b6_4k.jpg

Strangely, this one is a massive 8K! Would there be an 8K mode? Or just the main menu image?

49995589558_bc88d1bd62_o.jpg

Godfall, I'm really liking the PS5 version and looks pretty clean and better lighting and graphics with more stable framerates around 60fps compared to the PC version that is getting massive dislikes on youtube. I loved the pace of the gameplay and looks like fun to me.

The art direction in Kena is just

icerock

Seeing all but two games in reveal event run at native 4K, with many of them using a healthy dose of RT has me very hopeful about future gains graphically. Native 4K/RT is so GPU intensive, that once the devs free up some of those resources by using reconstruction or GI, there should be more power to push better quality pixels. A good example is UE5 demo, it rendered at 1440p and didn't use RT but still looked better than any next-gen game shown so far. There's more under the hood than we have seen so far. Devs will learn to get more efficient use of power over time. Next game from Rockstar/SSM etc. is going to blow minds, exciting times ahead.

Why do people keep saying Sony will be the only one with supply constraints? Like the pandemic hasn't affected every other manufacturer.

Wishful thinking like with many of the other stuff you read on here in regards to PlayStation hardware and software.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seeing all but two games in reveal event run at native 4K, with many of them using a healthy dose of RT has me very hopeful about future gains graphically. Native 4K/RT is so GPU intensive, that once the devs free up some of those resources by using reconstruction or GI, there should be more power to push better quality pixels. A good example is UE5 demo, it rendered at 1440p and didn't use RT but still looked better than any next-gen game shown so far. There's more under the hood than we have seen so far. Devs will learn to get more efficient use of power over time. Next game from Rockstar/SSM etc. is going to blow minds, exciting times ahead.

Wishful thinking like with many of the other stuff you read on here in regards to PlayStation hardware and software.

To me, I've always dreamed to be able to use gameplay screenshots I make as my PC background, never looked that good enough most them though. Now look how clean the youtube screenshots, not even the direct feed from PS5! If I can skip life until release I would do it! Or even pay 4x times the retail price now :messenger_smiling_hearts:

"Here at Xbox, we’re building the future of gaming by putting players first and ensuring that you are at the center and in control of your gaming experience."

That's a good one, I will have to remember it.
Do you have a problem with that policy? Does Sony offer a superior option?

Weren't more than 80% of Xbox One systems manufactured by Flextronics with only limited numbers coming from Foxconn? Foxconn is far from the only option out there.
Both production companies can and might've been affected by the pandemic, no company is impervious to the effects of Covid 19 which messed up not just big companies but the world economy as well. I'll assume that both sony and Microsoft are using flextronics and foxconn as production lines, which means if one console's production was affected then it's safe to assume that the other's did as well. Microsoft isn't a special case, both will be treated equally in terms of production. There are no exceptions.

icerock

To me, I've always dreamed to be able to use gameplay screenshots I make as my PC background, never looked that good enough most them though. Now look how clean the youtube screenshots, not even the direct feed from PS5! If I can skip life until release I would do it! Or even pay 4x times the retail price now :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Some of the screens are really pretty. For me the screen of the entire showcase was the pic of Aloy underwater, it exhibits so many things, the fauna, the machines, the animations and most impressive of them all her eyes, it's conveying emotions. Absolutely stunning.

I was one of the few who came away from the showcase little under-whelmed (graphically). But, when I watched the DF video and learned that all but two games were running at native 4K with many using RT, my hype went through the roof. These are first batch of games on the new machine, once the devs scale the resolution back and deploy reconstruction techniques, or use an alternative in GI instead of RT, or simply tune their engine to make more efficient use of hardware, the games will look even better. The thing which assures me the most is the UE5 demo, the thing ran in real-time on a PS5 so we know the machine is capable of handling that level of fidelity. It's up to the devs to push it. Many of them are only scratching the surface in regards to potential of the machine. Some eyeball melting visuals await us in few years time!

DaGwaphics

Both production companies can and might've been affected by the pandemic, no company is impervious to the effects of Covid 19 which messed up not just big companies but the world economy as well. I'll assume that both sony and Microsoft are using flextronics and foxconn as production lines, which means if one console's production was affected then it's safe to assume that the other's did as well. Microsoft isn't a special case, both will be treated equally in terms of production. There are no exceptions.

I didn't know Sony had contracts with flex, that's new.

Manufacturing contracts aren't measured in fairness, regardless. If one company arranges for greater production capacity than the other, they will have more units to sell. Many things play into it, which system went into production first, how much previous gen production is being maintained, etc.

saintjules

See - that looks way better than the gameplay trailer. What the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom