• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

That's Xbox Series X-X

0_EXbGlqMXYAI6cAIjpeg.jpg

Small fry next to the XXL

sircaw

Banned
Remember when Resident Evil 5 came out and people were calling the game racist because you killed black Africans in it?

maxresdefault.jpg

Those sliders could have let you choose the color of your enemies so people won't complain about that sort of thing.

P.S I'm just joking BTW.

The world is crazy atm, and i know your joking but i can imagine that being a standard in a few years time. Mark this post.

sircaw

Banned
I hope not though. I understand adding accessibility options so more people can play a game but adding options to cater to racists? That's something I can't support.

I am looking at it at the opposite angle from you.
I think it's will be less aimed at racists but more in line of making it that you can select every colour gender so that no one feels targeted or is offended.

Like options for at the start of a characters game for hair eyes skin all that jazz.

Some one is always going to be offended, this way, if your upset you can change the victims away to something that offends you less.

For example, violence against women. Show a scene with a man being battered to death, punched kicked, most people will not batter an eyelid, show a woman getting the same treatment and Feminists say your condoning domestic abuse or some silly shit like that.

With this option you could just turn all woman character models to men and be " less offended "
this is what i mean in reference to the colour slider you remarked on. I understand it's not perfect, some fucking idiots will abuse it and bring race into it but hopefully their kind are far and few.

Mind you after seeing some of the new Tlou2 there is brutality in there on both sides.

I think it's will be less aimed at racists but more in line of making it that you can select every colour gender so that no one feels targeted or is offended.

Like options for at the start of a characters game for hair eyes skin all that jazz.

Some one is always going to be offended, this way, if your upset you can change the victims away to something that offends you less.

For example, violence against women. Show a scene with a man being battered to death, punched kicked, most people will not batter an eyelid, show a woman getting the same treatment and Feminists say your condoning domestic abuse or some silly shit like that.

With this option you could just turn all woman character models to men and be " less offended "
this is what i mean in reference to the colour slider you remarked on. I understand it's not perfect, some fucking idiots will abuse it and bring race into it but hopefully their kind are far and few.

Mind you after seeing some of the new Tlou2 there is brutality in there on both sides.

I understand where you're going but racist individuals will take advantage of that. Then you will have those offended by racism that will complain about those options.

If you really want to avoid all that my recommendation would be to replace everyone in the game with generic humanoid figures that don't look like any gender.

Handy Fake

I understand where you're going but racist individuals will take advantage of that. Then you will have those offended by racism that will complain about those options.

If you really want to avoid all that my recommendation would be to replace everyone in the game with generic humanoid figures that don't look like any gender.
Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Neo Blaster

SYJRyvf.png

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonys-ps5-digital-edition-is-complicating-free-nex/1100-6478597/

But if you buy Madden 21 on disc for PS4, you'll apparently run into an issue if you opt for the PS5 digital edition. EA's press release notes, "Physical discs cannot currently be used to upgrade to discless consoles." We don't yet know if there will be a new Xbox without a disc drive--it could be the rumored Xbox Lockhart--but at the very least, those who don't care about a PS5 disc drive (or simply opt for one because it's the only model they can find in stock) could be locked out of this free upgrade.

sircaw

Banned

Lets pray we never go down this route, i am fearful though.

I say it's Fake.

I could just be the angle at which he's holding it that's making it look bigger than it is.

At any rate, even if it's 1.5x larger than the PS4, I can still comfortably pop it (horizontally) under my TV. Got plenty of space there.

I think there was something about the PS5 weighing 5kg? Or was that a fake Amazon listing. 5kg makes it almost double the weight of the PS4 (and almost 2.5x that of the slim). Now THAT would be heavy.

It's a fair point, how do you prove you have the game if you can't use the disc?

And this is why I'm sticking with physical games.

One thing I thought Sony might have planned is to be able to sell digital game (or trade owners). I think they've got a patent on that by using a blockchain. If they offered that, I'd be 100% digital, since I'd be able to flog my games once I'm done with them.

HAL-01

N0r8wQ8.png

sony-playstation-5-jim-ryan-big__w770.jpg

Tell me if this look the same to you, notice the curves on the official photo and how boxy & square the fake look.
The bottom is larger than the top on the original, the fake one is a rectangle.
I say it's Fake.
the white part of the design is a curved rectangle, with 2 opposite corners curved inward, and the other 2 curved outward, it is not a trapezoid. It would look like a rectangle from a perfect side view

Codeblew

This is GPU decode speed of BC7Prep textures. Not full IO speed from SSD to GPU.
It’s also made irrelevant by Oodle Texture’s BC7 RDO encoding, which can be done at design time and requires no CPU/GPU decryption.

He stated that BC7Prep is the oldest part of Oodle Texture and was a fall back in case their RDO solution wasn’t effective.

I doubt anyone will use BCPrep outside of very niche use cases.

It isn't irrelevant. It allows the ability to get 5-15% more compression when using BC7 textures. The downside, like you pointed out, is that the GPU needs to decode it.

I don't think they would be wasting their time working on the decode shaders if they expected nobody to use it.

PaintTinJr

It's a fair point, how do you prove you have the game if you can't use the disc? I thought they could use the PS4 version you already played on your account, but what if you got a borrowed disc?
You've got to give it to EA, I wouldn't bet against them being tempted to up the digital price of madden on PS4, knowing that anyone planning on a PS5 DE will be making the transition now and have no choice but to pay the asking price.

As someone that thinks it is a very anti-consumer move to have a DE console at launch, EA might have also helped make sure that demand for DE PS5 is lowered by highlighting the obvious inability to get an upgrade that way.

I could just be the angle at which he's holding it that's making it look bigger than it is.

At any rate, even if it's 1.5x larger than the PS4, I can still comfortably pop it (horizontally) under my TV. Got plenty of space there.

I think there was something about the PS5 weighing 5kg? Or was that a fake Amazon listing. 5kg makes it almost double the weight of the PS4 (and almost 2.5x that of the slim). Now THAT would be heavy.
5kg is fake + the console cost would rise even more (shipping, etc)
the white part of the design is a curved rectangle, with 2 opposite corners curved inward, and the other 2 curved outward, it is not a trapezoid. It would look like a rectangle from a perfect side view
There is another way to know that it's fake look at the official picture from sony, the controller is aprox 4x/4,1 the ps5

Sony-PS5-1.jpg

this thing is aprox 5x/4,5 the controller

N0r8wQ8.png

don't ask about them numbers :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Neo Blaster

lol @ gamespot... if someone is buying physical media why would they expect it to play on the digital only console? Sounds like a water being wet on a slow news day :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You missed the point: what if someone buys a disc for their PS4 now, and due to supply constraints(or even lack of information) had to grab PS5 DE? Upgrading the game won't be possible.

This is not restricted to EA, if you've got TLOU2 physical copy, are you locked with the regular PS5 if you want to play the enhanced version?

Last edited:

Fatez

N0r8wQ8.png

Tell me if this look the same to you, notice the curves on the official photo and how boxy & square the fake look.
The bottom is larger than the top on the original, the fake one is a rectangle.
I say it's Fake.

In my personal opinion it's fake. First, the "tablet" or thing on their hands it's flat, and if it was the PS5 would even cast some shadow from top right angle to left bottom angle, and there is none. The PS logo position is weird. The SONY logo and jackets on the workers are in different positions/badly oriented. finally Both the PS and SONY logos have a white outline that shouldn't be there. Best quality i could find was like 700x525 which might be done in purpose to avoid zoom and detect the changes. Its fairly well done i think, for a fake :D
My two cents

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
5kg is fake + the console cost would rise even more (shipping, etc)

There is another way to know that it's fake look at the official picture from sony, the controller is aprox 4x/4,1 the ps5

Sony-PS5-1.jpg

this thing is aprox 5x/4,5 the controller

N0r8wQ8.png

don't ask about them numbers :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not to mention knowing the size of a Blu-ray disc, going by that picture of disc slot, that would almost be double the size for the discs.

Laserdisc on a comeback!

THE:MILKMAN

In my personal opinion it's fake. First, the "tablet" or thing on their hands it's flat, and if it was the PS5 would even cast some shadow from top right angle to left bottom angle, and there is none. The PS logo position is weird. The SONY logo and jackets on the workers are in different positions/badly oriented. finally Both the PS and SONY logos have a white outline that shouldn't be there. Best quality i could find was like 700x525 which might be done in purpose to avoid zoom and detect the changes. Its fairly well done i think, for a fake :D
My two cents

I'm not sure if it is fake. I would err toward it being a real/genuine picture of some sort. Before the thread was closed on era there were suggestions the guy holding the PS5 is Tetsu Sumii but I don't think it looks like him. (white T-Shirt)

I will say something felt off about how the whole picture came to be posted and how it was discussed...Can't put my finger on why, though?

c0_image.jpg

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

If a streamer selects anything but the white straight male enemies they'll be cancelled and labeled racist/sexist/phobic/etc

GermanZepp

You missed the point: what if someone buys a disc for their PS4 now, and due to supply constraints(or even lack of information) had to grab PS5 DE? Upgrading the game won't be possible.

This is not restricted to EA, if you've got TLOU2 physical copy, are you locked with the regular PS5 if you want to play the enhanced version?
Easy fix. Provide every fisical copy with a one time code that you activate via an EA account that is linked with your psn account in ps4 and let you download the game in ps5. Or something like that. There always a way.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
The day I see Spencer doing a hardware deep dive we can talk seriously.
How can a salesman with a BA do a hardware deep dive?

BTW, how loud is your average gaming PC these days? Are those things quiet or are they like PS4 Pros rocking cow bells?

It all depends what you put inside, how much you spend, etc. PC tower cases have a lot of space and possibilities. I don't see people complaining about PC tower sizes. A full tower ATX case is almost 70 cm high.

Where is monthly episode of xbox 20/20 they've promised to have it every month. Broken promises once again Phil ?
They've chickened out.

ToadMan

Easy fix. Provide every fisical copy with a one time code that you activate via an EA account that is linked with your psn account in ps4 and let you download the game in ps5. Or something like that. There always a way.

Then the people who like to sell their played games would be up in arms about it.

I’d say better is they just offer a mail in disc/receive code system.

Fatez

I'm not sure if it is fake. I would err toward it being a real/genuine picture of some sort. Before the thread was closed on era there were suggestions the guy holding the PS5 is Tetsu Sumii but I don't think it looks like him. (white T-Shirt)

I will say something felt off about how the whole picture came to be posted and how it was discussed...Can't put my finger on why, though?

c0_image.jpg

Doesn't look like him lol . I tried to look the pic several times while trying to decide if i believe it was real or fake but those those i saw on the logos were a red flag for me as photographer :D Also, those guys might be in danger for just posting a pic like that on such a secretive thing like PS5 i guess. There been some scrutiny specifically on the size but what i have mentioned and maybe the way to hold, whatever it is, and considering what we have of PS5 Hardware in terms of design seems a bit off. It is amusing nonetheless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom