• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it has been told, there's no exact value on real world in TFs, the Vegas had bigger TFlops than 1080 and 1080 Ti (including the Navis) and yet it didn't come close on parity.

Had the new consoles been using Vega, they could achieve the 12-14tf, but again, it would been basically the equivalent of a 9TF Navi/GeForce.
Don’t even try, most people cannot compute this fact.

Devs already have to deal with a split memory pool when doing PC ports. The split memory pool isn't as big of an issue when your memory pools are in the multi-gigabyte sizes. When you have a 10MB/32MB little buffer that must be managed on a per frame basis in the GPU, that sucks. When you have 8+ GB to play with, it's just maybe an inconvenience. The above rumor would make the PS5 basically look like a normal PC with 16GB RAM and a 8GB video card.

Although I think if you do see a split memory pool, it will more likely be split along OS/Game. I would say give 4GB LPDDR for OS, you don't really need anything more than that and you could make it very low power in standby mode, and 16GB of HBM for the games.

I guess this is true, but still, if they go with a split pool, data has to be copied between the two different memories given the architecture these systems (and most consumer electronics in general) use. So if you've got 20GB worth of memory split between two even pools (HBM2 and DDR5 for example) and 20GB worth of assets, you're only really working with 10GB worth of assets at a time because of double buffering. But if they went with 20GB of HBM2 (not happening in a million years, but just saying), they could work on that whole 20GB of data at any given time because it'd be both fast enough and unified so no need to double buffer.

We've got no idea how big these games are going to get but if they're going with native 4K assets, the file sizes add up, so a split pool on "just" 16GB or 20GB could become a bit of a hassle as the generation goes onward. At least that's my understanding of things; we can only infer how these systems will work based off their PC-like nature, but who knows what alterations they've got going with AMD.

Heh...

HAO5mz4.png

T H I C C

Last edited:

Fake

I know, compared to current consoles RX5700 is still big improvement, because before Navi launch the most optimistic scenario was vega64 like performance and it looks like we will get it. With HW RT on top of that and 500$ price point we should be happy I guess 🤔😀.

12TF team good luck in your last struggles before the end, it was a pleasure fighting along your side for so many months😀. Thanks to our captain SonGoku the morale was high, but now even he is no longer with us 😭😔. We still have one general left, but I bet even Negotiatior himself started doubting 12TF dream at this point. So it's official, I'm abandoning the sinking ship before it's too late.

S7lGvf7.png
Sigh... Again, the poll with the TF options are based on GCN, not Navi.

Reactions: TLZ

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Concerning the poll:
1. This poll was created after RX 5700-series launched

2. I helped create this poll, doing legwork on Nvidia real-world sustained clocks vs advertised base clocks

3. 8-9TF GCN isn't ≥ RTX 2070

4. I have fixation issues so I already screenshotted the votes🚬

Concerning the poll:
1. This poll was created after RX 5700-series launched

2. I helped create this poll, doing legwork on Nvidia real-world sustained clocks vs advertised base clocks

3. 8-9TF GCN isn't ≥ RTX 2070

4. I have fixation issues so I already screenshotted the votes🚬
Not to mention it has Nvidia SUPER cards referenced in it wich was after Navi, oh btw im gonna put those and keep GCN in there, brilliant.

Mass Shift

To be honest, in his post he say:

Is this means he not a par with the difference between GCN and RDNA TF?

I've been up and down all over that forum. If you take all of his posts and put them in a collection you don't come away with much REAL information.

I mean I can do the same thing too.

"A friend of mine in a 3rd party studio who is working on a next gen game told me that both consoles are in the TF double digits. The PS5 is more powerful, but not in any meaningful way.

The graphics were unbelievable, better than anything I ever saw before. They both have hardware ray tracing and both are RDNA. Btw, everything I'm telling you? Well that could all change so you can believe me or not, I don't care. I'm not an insider anymore.......so."

By doing it this way I don't have to -

Give the number of Graphic Cores
Reveal Clock Speeds
Share Memory Configurations or Allocations
Explain How The RT Functions (Core Based or Hardware Specialization)
Give Actual Loading Times based on the SSD

Talk about How FPS and Rez Performance Holds Up When RT is Applied

He has managed to both excite and satisfy people with very little or next to nothing at all. People disagree with Leadbetter and DF because they're not telling us what we'd like to hear. That's why I tend to believe DF might be the one's telling us the truth.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Mass Shift Mass Shift

He also explicitly stated that he doesn't think people will be impressed with the specs. Meanwhile on the Apisak/Komachi/DF side you have detailed clock speeds, GPU arch, Fire Strike benchmark, die size leaks, accurate codenames, and even PC GPU comparisons. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Mass Shift Mass Shift

He also explicitly stated that he doesn't think people will be impressed with the specs. Meanwhile on the Apisak/Komachi/DF side you have detailed clock speeds, GPU arch, Fire Strike benchmark, die size leaks, accurate codenames, and even PC GPU comparisons. :pie_thinking:

Exactly. And I don't expect Kleegamefan to put together the kind of hard analysis that DF does. That would be unreasonable. But he's not really sharing anything that most here couldn't string together themselves.

But DF definitely has put themselves out there with actual numbers. And they appear to have confidence in those numbers.

Evilms

Banned
Hot off the press...

Cinebench R15

Athlon 5370 @ 1.6GHz (Jaguar CPU Core x 4 like PS4)

Single thread - 35
Multi thread - 128
8 core (Projected, 100% scaling assumption) - 256

Athlon 5370 @ 2.3GHz (Jaguar CPU Core x 4 like Xbox One X)
Single thread - 49
Multi thread - 183
8 core (Projected, 100% scaling assumption) - 366

Ryzen 7 3700X @ 2.3GHz
Single thread - 110 (2.24X faster than Jaguar at the same clock speed)
Multi thread - 618 (3.37x faster than Jaguar at the same clock speed)
Octo-Core Score - 1220 (4.76x faster than Jagua rat the same clock speed)

Ryzen 7 3700X @ 3.2GHz
Single thread - 152 (3.1x faster than 2.3GHz Jaguar)
Multi thread - 868 (4.74x faster than 2.3GHz Jaguar)
Octo-Core Score - 1702 (4.65x faster than 2.3GHz Jaguar)

Gaming Performance
  • PlayStation 4 Pro - 36 Compute Units @ 911MHz (4.2 TF)
  • Xbox One X - 40 CU @ 1172 MHz (6 TF)
  • RX 5700 - NAVI GPU with 36 CU @ 1800MHz (8.3 TF)
  • RX 5700 XT - NAVI GPU with 40 CU @ 1800MHz (9.2 TF)
Hitman 2 :
oTseFDV.jpg

• RX 5700 vs PS4 Pro : The 5700 is 125% faster at 1440p
  • RX 5700 XT vs Xbox One X : The 5700 XT is 80% faster at 2160p
Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus :
X6b3n8b.png

• 5700 vs PS4 Pro : The 5700 is around 300% faster at 1440p
  • 5700 XT vs Xbox One X : The 5700 XT is around 200% faster at 2160p

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I've been up and down all over that forum. If you take all of his posts and put them in a collection you don't come away with much REAL information.

I mean I can do the same thing too.

"A friend of mine in a 3rd party studio who is working on a next gen game told me that both consoles are in the TF double digits. The PS5 is more powerful, but not in any meaningful way.

The graphics were unbelievable, better than anything I ever saw before. They both have hardware ray tracing and both are RDNA. Btw, everything I'm telling you? Well that could all change so you can believe me or not, I don't care. I'm not an insider anymore.......so."

By doing it this way I don't have to -

Give the number of Graphic Cores
Reveal Clock Speeds
Share Memory Configurations or Allocations
Explain How The RT Functions (Core Based or Hardware Specialization)
Give Actual Loading Times based on the SSD

Talk about How FPS and Rez Performance Holds Up When RT is Applied

He has managed to both excite and satisfy people with very little or next to nothing at all. People disagree with Leadbetter and DF because they're not telling us what we'd like to hear. That's why I tend to believe DF might be the one's telling us the truth.
We should say it out loud, Kleegamefan is a false prophet and we have no real reason to trust his informations. All we can trust is a common sense, meaning 8-9 TF team.

Regardless of the TF specs, I want to see some PS5 games or even tech demos soon.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Thanks, Evilms Evilms

Here's some nice tidbits:

PS4 Pro vs Polaris vs Navi | 36CU | Normalized clockspeed(911MHz on each platform). PC Polaris is 10% faster at the same clock speed(mem bandwidth). Navi is 30% faster than PS4 Pro clock-for-clock.
3CC0816.jpg

---
Wolf II: PS4 Pro(1440p) vs Xbox One X(4K) vs RX 5700(1440p) vs RX 5700 XT(4K) at console settings.
-RX 5700 rig(1440p) is 3x faster than PS4 Pro(1440p)
-RX 5700 XT rig(4K) is 2x faster than Xbox One X(4K)
ad92x8v.jpg

---
Perhaps relavent to BC potential, no reason for 1080p on next-gen consoles. Hitman 2 at 1080p, PS4 console settings is CPU-limited @ 155fps. On PC with RX 5700 this game runs 1080p/Ultra/~100fps.
bQOOio2.jpg

---
DF bringing tons of goodies to the party.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Oh, so they have a horse in this race basically.
No, it seems they knew something about next gen consoles.

Do people think Richard and DF have no sources in industry? Lol, they can EASILY get a nod from big guys in industry, enough to confirm ballpark. They dont and would never post leaked documentation as a primpary source, but you are naive if you think they cant get this type of info.

DF "Are next gen consoles 10TF+"

Source "A-a"

And thats enough. They would breach NDA, but only just. From only that info DF or anyone technical can easily make a case for next gen hardware +/-10%

R600

Banned
Talk is cheap. More often than not these journos end up just making shit up. As someone who fallows NBA I take the info from guys like Klee with a huge grain of salt. Does he even have any track record of leaks?
Yap. For him to have access to such info would mean at least dozens or hundreds of people in industry would know TF ballpark.

Wonder if PS5 and Scarlet will get an even lower level acess API.
It's as low level as it gets. What more would you like to see?

They can even write straight GCN assembly if they want. It doesn't get lower level than that.

I bet even Negotiatior himself started doubting 12TF dream at this point
I still expect RDNA2/RX5800-tier, not RDNA1/RX5700.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned

Do people think Richard and DF have no sources in industry? Lol, they can EASILY get a nod from big guys in industry, enough to confirm ballpark. They dont and would never post leaked documentation as a primpary source, but you are naive if you think they cant get this type of info.

Source "A-a"

And thats enough. They would breach NDA, but only just. From only that info DF or anyone technical can easily make a case for next gen hardware +/-10%
That's exactly what I thought just a moment ago. There's no doubt in my mind DF already know the most important details in regards to PS5 specs. They are friends with many developers and talk privately with them.

R600

Banned

Ariel and Gonzalo are both from the Tempest and are the characters that provide the most assistance to the powerful wizard Prospero. Has 'Prospero' popped up anywhere at all? I'd be surprised if it wasn't being used for something internally.

Flute is from A Midsummer Night's Dream, likely that name is actually from a different scheme of code names (connected with instruments).

Back in July. 3 months before Gizmodo, Prospero and now DF confirming its codename.

demigod

Source "A-a"

lol @ you giving DF too much credit. So you're talking about them not spilling the beans because of NDA, do you think the devs who are clearly under NDA, give DF the info?

Do you think AMD gave a non-PC site like DF the info on RDNA? Nope, not even the big Tech PC sites got them.

The only info DF has is when they're being spoonfed by Sony and MS. They're now just bitter about Sony ditching them for Wired so they lowballed the PS5 GCN TF.

R600

Banned
lol @ you giving DF too much credit. So you're talking about them not spilling the beans because of NDA, do you think the devs who are clearly under NDA, give DF the info?

Do you think AMD gave a non-PC site like DF the info on RDNA? Nope, not even the big Tech PC sites got them.

The only info DF has is when they're being spoonfed by Sony and MS. They're now just bitter about Sony ditching them for Wired so they lowballed the PS5 GCN TF.
And you think jurnos who havent been in industry for 15 years have had acess to next gen demos, codenames, TF numbers etc?

I am not saying DF was given details. I am saying they EASILY have enough sources to confirm their ballpark. They are tech jurnos, someone even nodding odd the record about double or single TF digits is enough for them and NDA would not be broken in a way it would be if someone was to leak entire dev docs like in case of PS4, PS4Pro and Xbone.

So yea, I think they can get vague info where they can be sure we are not getting 14TF beasts and HMB3 not yet in full prod.

They lowballed nothing and if they are, they are lowballing Scarlett as well. DF is not Wired, and they would never be used for announcing next gen hardware. For Christ sake you do not realize how stupid that sounds?

Last edited:

demigod

And you think jurnos who havent been in industry for 15 years have had acess to next gen demos, codenames, TF numbers etc?

I am not saying DF was given details. I am saying they EASILY have enough sources to confirm their ballpark. They are tech jurnos, someone even nodding odd the record about double or single TF digits is enough for them and NDA would not be broken in a way it would be if someone was to leak entire dev docs like in case of PS4, PS4Pro and Xbone.

So yea, I think they can get vague info where they can be sure we are not getting 14TF beasts and HMB3 not yet in full prod.

They lowballed nothing and if they are, they are lowballing Scarlett as well. DF is not Wired, and they would never be used for announcing next gen hardware. For Christ sake you do not realize how stupid that sounds?

So explain the GCN 8TF? People don't go to Wired for Gaming news. Who do you think got the first tech specs for the PS4 Pro and Scorpion? Do you realize how stupid that sounds now?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
R R600
iirc that was the dude who said something like "I don't know tech, but I do know Shakespeare." Nice intuition on his part.

It's interesting that we have as many votes for 72CUs as 36-40CUs. That could explain the angst towards DF. If you truly believed that in your heart of hearts, you'd probably think DF was colluding with MS to spread FUD.🤗

joe_zazen

idk, i think info sharing depends how likeable you are, how many friends you have...so how charismatic you are. Maybe some journos also pay for info?

& usually, if you are well networked and charismatic in games journalism, you move to PR before 15 years are up.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

I know, compared to current consoles RX5700 is still big improvement, because before Navi launch the most optimistic scenario was vega64 like performance and it looks like we will get it. With HW RT on top of that and 500$ price point we should be happy I guess 🤔😀.

12TF team good luck in your last struggles before the end, it was a pleasure fighting along your side for so many months😀. Thanks to our captain SonGoku the morale was high, but now even he is no longer with us 😭😔. We still have one general left, but I bet even Negotiatior himself started doubting 12TF dream at this point. So it's official, I'm abandoning the sinking ship before it's too late.

S7lGvf7.png
That ship was always a gunpowder barrel, a ticking time bomb

you safe now breh join @team14.2 and enjoy the ride!

I still expect RDNA2/RX5800-tier, not RDNA1/RX5700.
This is kinda obvious at this point that PS5 gonna use RT which is not supported by RDNA1, Bore us with specifics because this is kinda vague and playing it both ways, is a 5700 xt + RT performance can be a custom 5800 mobile variant ? which some people (including me) being saying the whole time.

"well i'm expecting 5800 tier" No shit, give us some details, what do you think about the 5800 that gonna be on the PS5 that is not 5700xt + RT perf.

I don't think this is a safe cargo.

R600

Banned
So explain the GCN 8TF? People don't go to Wired for Gaming news. Who do you think got the first tech specs for the PS4 Pro and Scorpion? Do you realize how stupid that sounds now?
Where is GCN 8TF coming from? Give me source.

No, but if you want to spread message of your next big system that made you billions and sold 100+ million, you will not do it over DF, but Wired or something more mainstream. Just dont have a single idea why you think DF are pissed of Sony announced PS5 by Wired and not by them.

R600

Banned
R R600
iirc that was the dude who said something like "I don't know tech, but I do know Shakespeare." Nice intuition on his part.

It's interesting that we have as many votes for 72CUs as 36-40CUs. That could explain the angst towards DF. If you truly believed that in your heart of hearts, you'd probably think DF was colluding with MS to spread FUD.🤗
Yea he just dropped into thread and hasnt posted again lol

I dunno, 3x over Pro for 5700 + Zen2. Thats over 6x the PS4...really big increase in this day and age IMO.

DF has a PC-focused mentality, that's why you cannot take console analysis from them seriously.

I remember them harping on the "Jaguar is a shitty CPU, GCN flops are weak" mantra for way too long, with very few exceptions (XB1X, Gears 5). That should tell you something.

demigod

Where is GCN 8TF coming from? Give me source.

No, but if you want to spread message of your next big system that made you billions and sold 100+ million, you will not do it over DF, but Wired or something more mainstream. Just dont have a single idea why you think DF are pissed of Sony announced PS5 by Wired and not by them.

The source is the DF video, go watch it.

LMAO no, you wouldn't do it over Wired. You'd do it on a GAMING SITE, where your audience is. Wired got the scoop and not them that's why.

R600

Banned

LMAO no, you wouldn't do it over Wired. You'd do it on a GAMING SITE, where your audience is. Wired got the scoop and not them that's why.
Where? Time stamp it.

Nope, you would do it over big mainstream site and not Gamespot or, especially not DF. Not even sure where you get idea anyone would announce new console over freaking DF lol

R600

Banned
DF has a PC-focused mentality, that's why you cannot take console analysis from them seriously.

I remember them harping on the "Jaguar is a shitty CPU, GCN flops are weak" mantra for way too long, with very few exceptions (XB1X, Gears 5). That should tell you something.
And they were not wrong. Jaguar sucks and GCN (late GCN) is long in tooth compared to Nvidia and Navi.

demigod

Where? Time stamp it.

Nope, you would do it over big mainstream site and not Gamespot or, especially not DF. Not even sure where you get idea anyone would announce new console over freaking DF lol

Did you just completely missed the part where DF got the first inside scoop on the mid-gens?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
R R600
Next gen systems are going to be savage. This gen will be the best hardware-wise imo.

Concerning the origin of the Shakespearean Conspiracy, it was the asian and German data miners who were on point the whole time. DF just had the commonsense back in April to believe them, and yes, I think that they have been independently confirming this data with their sources since that time.

Fake

Watched the video.
1440p and even 4k perfomance are quite good and they're comparing PC vs Console or PC vs a machine with a dedicate game API. Devs can extract even more perfomance from that.
Wolfs runs very good at 4K.

R600

Banned
Did you just completely missed the part where DF got the first inside scoop on the mid-gens?
Yes, after they where shown and announced already.

On top of that, PS4Pro and X are just extensions of last gen, PS5 is totally different beast altogether.

And they were not wrong. Jaguar sucks and GCN (late GCN) is long in tooth compared to Nvidia and Navi.
I'll post it once again, since this myth just doesn't want to die:

5x IPC and it's crap compared to last-gen CPUs? If Jaguar is crap, then Cell/Xenon are 5 times crappier.

See what I'm saying?

We already know that Zen 2 has 2x IPC compared to Jaguar and 2x clocks (so 4x ST), so technically that's a smaller leap, as crazy as that may sound to you.

Then again, the majority doesn't even understand the distinction between ISA and microarchitecture.

Regarding CPU flops:

Regarding GCN flops:

Regarding 5400 RPM HDDs:

KfJqaGm.png

Conclusion: current-gen consoles are better in every department (CPU, GPU, I/O) compared to PS360.

Game devs > game journos. Knowledge > PR. Pick your sources wisely.

where is the problem with that, jaguar does sucks.
the amount of videos out there i mean ... either you have something or you don't.
was smarter to put it on wired, result : it's on wired and gaming site (they reached more i think :messenger_poop: )
sonomamashine sonomamashine Of course not it's a hype train and doesn't get nowhere near the sea so, we're pretty much safe from sinking 👍
well

DpQT0XR.jpg

ZkLqM1S.jpg

you'r welcome :messenger_grinning:.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

R600

Banned
I'll post it once again, since this myth just doesn't want to die:

5x IPC and it's crap compared to last-gen CPUs? If Jaguar is crap, then Cell/Xenon are 5 times crappier.

See what I'm saying?

We already know that Zen 2 has 2x IPC compared to Jaguar and 2x clocks (so 4x ST), so technically that's a smaller leap, as crazy as that may sound to you.

Then again, the majority doesn't even understand the distinction between ISA and microarchitecture.

Regarding CPU flops:

Regarding GCN flops:

Regarding 5400 RPM HDDs:

KfJqaGm.png

Conclusion: current-gen consoles are better in every department (CPU, GPU, I/O) compared to PS360.

Game devs > game journos. Knowledge > PR. Pick your sources wisely.

You dont know basics. IPC of PPC core (last gen) was severely down. In fact, it was down on CPUs from back in 2005 and they where not even OOO.
What these CPUs had was massive amount of GFLOPs for its time and 6-7 cores with 3.2Ghz clocks when best CPUs where Athlons 64 running at 2.2Ghz and on one core.

So there where ALOT of performance to tap into. When Jaguar cores came out, they where used as mobile chips, and clocked at 1.6Ghz (half that of PS360) while 7th gen where seen as completely new paradigm.

So, apples and oranges. In terms of actual performance there is big gulf between Jaguar based CPU and one based on Zen2, but not in case of Jaguar and Cell/PPC, because they worked completely different.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
That ship was always a gunpowder barrel, a ticking time bomb

14TF for launch unit definitely not :) , but Maybe sony has plans to launch PS5 Pro along standard PS5, with lets say 2x 5700 (5800) glued together and 700-800$ price. Then I would expect 14-16TF

R600

Banned
I stopped reading here. You didn't even bother reading what I posted.

It's a waste of time arguing with some people. Have fun with yourself.
I agree. Especially arguing with guys saying "DF is just butthurt Wired got exclusive so they are lowballing Sony".

Just, completely irrational for months.

PPC had 2x the clock of Jaguars for start, and two threads in 360. In Cells case I wouldnt even argue Jaguar was better. Cell with GCN would almost certainly outperform that POS (and thats exactly what it was for time being, POS).

demigod

Where? Time stamp it.
where is the problem with that, jaguar does sucks.

the amount of videos out there i mean ... either you have something or you don't.

was smarter to put it on wired, result : it's on wired and gaming site (they reached more i think :messenger_poop: )

well

DpQT0XR.jpg

ZkLqM1S.jpg

you'r welcome :messenger_grinning:.

I agree. Especially arguing with guys saying "DF is just butthurt Wired got exclusive so they are lowballing Sony".

Just, completely irrational for months.

PPC had 2x the clock of Jaguars for start, and two threads in 360. In Cells case I wouldnt even argue Jaguar was better. Cell with GCN would almost certainly outperform that POS (and thats exactly what it was for time being, POS).

I was going off by what 2 others have side in this thread. But since you 2 are so inclined for the video, I had to look it up to confirm it since nobody bothered to link it before when SonGoku SonGoku asked for it. Your RECEIPTS RIGHT HERE. You can watch it and Richard does try to imply the PS5 will use the same compute units as the Pro for compatibility. And yes, DF are butthurt :messenger_tears_of_joy: . They're not getting the scoop from Sony, mark my words they will get the scoop from MS.

R600

Banned
I was going off by what 2 others have side in this thread. But since you 2 are so inclined for the video, I had to look it up to confirm it since nobody bothered to link it before when SonGoku SonGoku asked for it. Your RECEIPTS RIGHT HERE. You can watch it and Richard does try to imply the PS5 will use the same compute units as the Pro for compatibility. And yes, DF are butthurt :messenger_tears_of_joy: . They're not getting the scoop from Sony, mark my words they will get the scoop from MS.

And again, nothing about GCN 8TF. So just "lol rofl DF is butthurt from Sony not giving them scoops from their unannounced console"

I am sure, going by Cernys BC patent, that CU number and their frequency is very tightly connected. In fact, latest Oban leak suggest clock speeds matching PS4 and Pro, so we are certainly moving in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom