• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

I don't see why Sony couldn't technically counter it, after all they have been doing game streaming a lot linger than MS have and could easily be miles ahead if they had the inclination to. As you said, Game Pass + XCloud is essentially PS+ and PS now combined. The ,main differences are that MS are making it more open in terms of devices (e.g. smartphones etc) and put AAA first party games on there at launch. Sony could easily do the same if they wanted to, and as I've said on another thread, its frustrated me a fair bit that they haven't!
As I said, Sony would need to expand Now much more than today just to be able to go head to head in availability. It's one hell of an investment to make, one that MS already did with their Azure network.

Last edited:

DrDamn

What about you guys?

- Everything running on XSX hardware
- Fable - retain the charm and British-ness, but really push out the boat with a beautiful open world, and Playground given the freedom to change and improve things
- BC demos
- Post show 4K videos with HDR
- I'd love to see them have another crack at Arcade Golf - I really enjoyed PowerStar
- AoE / Flight Sim / Gears Tactics running on XSX with dates
- Forza given something of a reboot. It's been 3 years, I want something more than mostly the same tracks/cars but shinier.

sircaw

Banned
- Everything running on XSX hardware
- Fable - retain the charm and British-ness, but really push out the boat with a beautiful open world, and Playground given the freedom to change and improve things
- BC demos
- Post show 4K videos with HDR
- I'd love to see them have another crack at Arcade Golf - I really enjoyed PowerStar
- AoE / Flight Sim / Gears Tactics running on XSX with dates
- Forza given something of a reboot. It's been 3 years, I want something more than mostly the same tracks/cars but shinier.

I am from the uk, if you want to compliment me, no need to beat around the bush. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I agree. PS Now already has free MP for the games in its catalog, probably MS is going the same way but incorporating Gold in the process. They already pulled 1-year Gold subscription option out, they'll probably announce the merge of Gamepass, Gold and Xcloud, granting automatic migration for those currently subscribed on Gold and Gamepass. All we have to know is the new price and if they will do it when XSX launches or before.

It would be one hell of a value if they do that, I don't know if Sony can counter that, maybe doing the same with PS+ and Now(if they can expand it to much more territories, of course).

Tht rumor has always been for over a year a ps plus ultimate per se is in the works for ps5 with private server functionality as well.

Last edited:

McHuj

It would be stupid for MS to hold any thing back software wise. If the show ends up a disappointment, especially after the last showing, they won't recover. The narrative will be MS has no games. This is an extremely important show for MS and they have to bring the software and games.

No one is expecting price, launch date, or additional hardware reveals so it's ok that those will wait until August.

But holding back games would be incredibly stupid at this point.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I meant games.
Don't think Microsoft will hold back when it comes to games since they don't have other game events planned. They might not show EVERYTHING they've got because a lot might just have been started, but we'll see most of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart360

A person in Josh's thread said it is fake, a false translation and that it is actually referring to a bluetooth headset. I asked him to translate it for everyone.
It doesnt matter if its fake or not. The Microsoft show is 1 hour long, and they will probbaly spend 15mins of that just on Halo. Its obvious they will hold some stuff back, they already said there will be some kind of event every month for here on in up until release.

As I said, Sony would need to expand Now much more than today just to be able to go head to head in availability. It's one hell of an investment to make, one that MS already did with their Azure network.

Aren't Sony already using Azure for Playstation Now in some kind of way anyway?
There was a fair bit of noise about it last year I seem to remember.
But yeah, Sony really do need to expand their availability - and they have had years to do it, which is why it frustrates me!

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Here is a direct link to that tweet:

And the twitter translation:
I know that at one time I was craving the Microsoft conference in July, but the conference that turns out to be different is different from the conference I had heard about previously. In short, do not live up to your expectations Microsoft changed the event a lot, and one of the reasons is there was a new event for Sony in August Not to mention some frustrating trends, if true

A person in Josh's thread said it is fake, a false translation and that it is actually referring to a bluetooth headset. I asked him to translate it for everyone.

No, the tweet is accurate. If people where wondering if the screenshot is fake.

Anyway, sounds like FUD to me.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

But yeah, Sony really do need to expand their availability - and they have had years to do it, which is why it frustrates me!
I don't think they are already using Azure right now.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They signed some vague "partnership" for the future.

Assumption being they are in-work on their future architecture using Azure, but it's just an assumption. However it's essentially what they said:

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

No Playstation use amazon. The announcement was Sony potential collaborating on cloud technology with Micorsoft. Exchange of ideas or whatever they worded it. Nothing more.

Kerlurk

Banned
Last edited:

GRIEVEZ

Well they did have a partnership, most like to make use of Azure. Also Azure isnt only used for gaming, so using/expanding it for XCloud - is probably not that huge of a deal (in terms of expenditure vs setting up a new infrastructure...).

I kinda wonder why they went with Microsoft instead of Google or Amazon though.. Mustve been a pretty sweet deal

ArcaneNLSC

Well they did have a partnership, most like to make use of Azure. Also Azure isnt only used for gaming, so using/expanding it for XCloud - is probably not that huge of a deal (in terms of expenditure vs setting up a new infrastructure...).

I kinda wonder why they went with Microsoft instead of Google or Amazon though.. Mustve been a pretty sweet deal

From memory there were 2 factors:

1) Amazon couldn't provide what they were needing in terms of features/abilities for their plans
2) Price, it seems Azure might be slightly cheaper and have more feature sets

DaGwaphics

Document mentions "In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services. "

Makes it sound like the Sony platform will find its way to Azure one way or the other. 🤷‍♂️

Sony was the first console manufacturer to allow crossplay of any kind, with PC. Since the PS2 generation.

(Edit: SEGA did it first! I was very wrong up there.)

What can we say, some people are far more gullible than they assume others to be. Good marketing exploits that. Credit where it's due to MS.
Defiance was a prime example of crossplay back during the ps360 days. Sony was begging Microsoft to allow for crossplay with ps3 players and no one batted an eye. This gen the goalposts shifted and people suddenly cared about crossplay when Microsoft did it but Sony (in the beginning) refused to allow for it. Where were these people during the days of Defiance? Why did they suddenly begin caring about crossplay now? And why didn’t they bash Microsoft for not permitting it back then, but bashed Sony when they didn’t allow for it not long ago. Ah, how times(& narratives) have shifted. Some people only care when it suits them apparently.

splattered

Here is a direct link to that tweet:

And the twitter translation:

No, the tweet is accurate. If people where wondering if the screenshot is fake.

Anyway, sounds like FUD to me.

Ohhh interesting.

He is followed by Microsoft though.

Perhaps originally the show was a larger full on blowout with lockhart, release date, pricing, etc and now they pushed those pieces to August to combat Sony's State of Play?

I'm not worried either way...

If they ARE holding good stuff back it just means we have more to look forward to in August :)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Defiance was a prime example of crossplay back during the ps360 days. Sony was begging Microsoft to allow for crossplay with ps3 players and no one batted an eye. This gen the goalposts shifted and people suddenly cared about crossplay when Microsoft did it but Sony (in the beginning) refused to allow for it. Where were these people during the days of Defiance? Why did they suddenly begin caring about crossplay now? And why didn’t they bash Microsoft for not permitting it back then, but bashed Sony when they didn’t allow for it not long ago. Ah, how times(& narratives) have shifted. Some people only care when it suits them apparently.
You are aware that a lot of the people running Xbox back then aren't running it now, right? For good reasons. They took shit decisions and were put in their place by gamers. Now there's different leadership that takes a pro-consumer standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Ohhh interesting.

He is followed by Microsoft though.

Perhaps originally the show was a larger full on blowout with lockhart, release date, pricing, etc and now they pushed those pieces to August to combat Sony's State of Play?

I'm not worried either way...

If they ARE holding good stuff back it just means we have more to look forward to in August :)

Not really worried what some random nobody is saying. It was said awhile back both were most likely holding back anyway.

Only people taking his word at face value are the same ones who were insulting and send threats to a Ps5 engineer over his tweet. See how that works? Double standards 😉.

HawarMiran

Banned
The odd thing is on PC I only have digital purchases but on console I prefer physical. But if you consider game sharing on Playstation you can "get" games for very cheap. Find a few friends/family members and you basically have to pay 10-20 bucks a game. So digital only PS5 doesn't sound too bad

You are aware that a lot of the people running Xbox back then aren't running it now, right? For good reasons. They took shit decisions and were put in their place by gamers. Now there's different leadership that takes a pro-consumer standpoint.
I’m well aware of that change in leadership and I’m hopeful this new type of leadership doesn’t end up screwing up in the same way the last one did. We’ll see.

DaGwaphics

Elden Ring better have a good showing or else i am placing X-fighter and Dagamez on the sacrificial table.

I am sure that is something most of us can get behind anyway. :messenger_grinning:

Still prepping for the event.

77414907-fried-sea-bream-fish-on-plate-with-fresh-salad-and-lemon-healthy-seafood-.jpg

Bad sircaw sircaw , tempting me to break my new resolution to "Be Best" and avoid console warring. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Sethbacca

I know this isnt really next gen specific and should have its own thread - but considering there's a PS5 Digital edition. I'd love to see this happen

Interesting. I've pondered an Ultraviolet/Movies anywhere type system for a while but I can't imagine console makers are willing to give up that revenue. I don't see this going far outside PC.

kensama

The things I want to see tomorrow because why not:

-Halo Infinite please bring back the glory of the halo series
-Playground games new game, I love this studio in my opinion the best studio of Xbox
-Give me tech demos, I love tech demos
-Even when I love tech demos I will prefer the games which will be showed doesn't start with legend/disclaimer "in engine"
-Hellblade 2, something running in a real XSX not just an engine
-Medium this game is for now with Hellblade 2 the games which looks like will use in a better way the new console
-Give us dates or at least an approximation for the games of this year and next year
-Focus in your first party games with new IPs if is possible
-Backwards compatibility enhancements, I am not completely sure of what is going to do Sony so for now Xbox looks like will be better in this

What about you guys?

There is nothing in your list i'm in feeling with?
For now i just want to see "The iniative" game.
And i'm waiting to see game like Blue dragon or Lost odyssey (which will never hapenned :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom