• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I thought there was a video of DF already saying that SM had RT? Didn't they do an entire video on PS5 and RT?
Well it is harder to constrain yourself on twitter than in a video with a colleague.
I think in their videos John sometimes has to cut "Alex jizzed himself watching halo he'll need to get cleaned up and start over" or "Cut Alex has again said that the ps5 is less powerfull than a SNES" ... "Who the hell gave the zooming joystick to alex ?!"...
"Alex have you been staring at the lamp for 2 hours ?"
"light is so beautiful ... "

Last edited:
So are the puddles ray traced or not?

I really want to know if Insomniac is telling the truth here.

Relax. I'm not saying it is not RT. I was asking the question what in the image could not be SSR. I understand SSR cannot render items in the reflection which are off screen or blocked. What confuses me, if this was RT, and the building very far behind is what is reflected in the puddle, why does the reflection in the puddle have no DoF applied and the main image does? It could have also been some problem with the SSR reflection illusion breaking down.

Delay why? Because your paycheck. Xbox is in a shit place. You was all good talking up next gen doing videos up till now. But now after Halo news. Lets delay everything huh. Sounds suspect. Where was that delay talk throughout the year?? All this capping for xbox. A trillion dollar company is pathetic.

No its convenient to delay.Where was that delay talk throughout the year?? This Xbox cappin is crazy.

He is more of Playstation fan.

He is under alot of stress in his job as his workplace ( the video games world) is toxic. I don't blame him.

Also, I agree with him that this year is not good for new consoles release. Everyone has a problem. Both companies are not ready and suffering from COVID. See their showings, they are all weak as they habe to put things together in the last moment while working remotely.
even sony didn't do well in showing PS5. I am buying PS5 based on their track record, but thier showing so far is weak. Nothing close to PS4 announcement where they sold everyone a PS4 from the first moment of Shadow Fall gameplay.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Relax. I'm not saying it is not RT. I was asking the question what in the image could not be SSR. I understand SSR cannot render items in the reflection which are off screen or blocked. What confuses me, if this was RT, and the building very far behind is what is reflected in the puddle, why does the reflection in the puddle have no DoF applied and the main image does? It could have also been some problem with the SSR reflection illusion breaking down.
Oh that ?It is simply because depth of field in games are built to emulate camera lenses and focus but are just ultimately filters and filters aren't a totally accurate reproduction , so the dof filter simply considered the reflection as being like and object at the front of the picture and not a reflection of a far building (confirming again raytracing because SSr would've kept it blurry).

xHunter

Isnt that an argument for RT? I thought DoF is post processing, why should the reflection in the puddle be blurred? The reflection is directly under the character, so it having no sign of DoF should be normal, no? I might be wrong though, if someone with more knowledge could answer this, that would be awesome.

It just reflect at the same angle but since the building reflected is far then a higher part of the building is reflected but I do agree that the persepctive can be confusing.
This is what is confusing people, they're expecting the reflection to be something that is exactly above the surface as a low angle against the wall. Since the angle is the same but the object is further away, we see something that is higher and conveniently behind Miles.

Wow. So a screenshot appears that showcases raytracing but already there's a problem?

The PS5 is nowhere near as weak as people seem to think it is. It can do raytracing. The gap between the two systems isn't that astronomical.

Its time to stop the mudslinging anytime something comes out to show the aforementioned statements are probably quite true.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This is what is confusing people, they're expecting the reflection to be something that is exactly above the surface as a low angle against the wall. Since the angle is the same but the object is further away, we see something that is higher and conveniently behind Miles.
Exactly, english isn't my native language so I had trouble finding the right words but you explained it way better than me.

Wow. So a screenshot appears that showcases raytracing but already there's a problem?

The PS5 is nowhere near as weak as people seem to think it is. It can do raytracing. The gap between the two systems isn't that astronomical.

Its time to stop the mudslinging anytime something comes out to show the aforementioned statements are probably quite true.
What the fuck are you talking about. So I cannot ask questions to understand this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's take this into another direction.

Can you imagine how cool RT is going to be when you swing through the city at night?

It's going to be neat to see realistic reflections in the windows when you swing by.

226cb8dd7bf068278a8f35754adb3e7a.jpg

Last edited:

GAF machine

Sony out here playing Shogi. PS4 was a stop gap training bed.The PS5 is Sony back to form with the exotic hardware. Im definitely sure there's similar/close to Cell level craziness in the PS5. We might get hints of the tech at the next GDC ,but most likely near the end of gen. When the PS6 shows up. Thanks for the post & data.

My pleasure. I hope your right about PS5's hardware being a return to form and imbued with CELL-like attributes. I'm likely the only member on this site who wishes CELL hadn't been passed up for PS4, as there was certainly a role for it. After all, it was designed to act as (among other things) a back-end accelerator for x86 CPUs and a front-end accelerator for GPUs...

ibm-systems-technology-group-12-l.jpg

spe-extends-general-systems-l.jpg

using-the-rsx-with-the-spus-l.jpg

what-to-do-on-spu-l.jpg

Kutaragi left no stone unturned when overseeing CELL's development. Would've loved to see how the cancelled 'Quad Cell/B.E.' (PowerXCell 32iv was IBM's version) in a base PS4 would've been used to improve the quality of games...

First-party content in 4K at 60fps instead of 2K at 30 fps and PS VR content in 2K at greater than 60 fps per eye?...

Enhancement of PS1, 2 and 3 games to 4K? (timestamped)...

A select number of them patched to support PS VR where applicable?...

Man, what could've been.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What the fuck are you talking about. So I cannot ask questions to understand this? Go fuck yourself.
That's alright , calm down you two.
You were asking a simple question but we had trouble understand what you meant and those warrioring times it is sometimes hard to differenciate bait and honest question.
But your last question made it perfectly clear if it was a real photography or SSR it would be blurry but since the object reflecting is in the focus it is not blurry because the filters considered the object let's say like a texture and not a reflection of a more distant object.

DaGwaphics

I took the PS5 showcase as a good indicator of what we will probably see next-gen, with noticeable RT but with some equally noticeable limitations to help with performance.

Unless differences are really extreme, I don't think most will care.

I'm 99% sure I'll go Xbox first, but will wait to see some comparisons. Short of the Xbox looking like the Switch version due to io, I'll stick with Xbox. I think PS5 fans are the same.

squarealex

I don't know what going on with Alex ?
Like if he hate Sony so much that he is shill for MS , or MS paid him cash to shit on Sony and jizz over halo or he is just plain fuvking stupid.

I cant stand this guy !

Honnestly, I don't think Alex is "a bad guy or fanboy".
I just think is a guy who think "console is like a PC so, this is the same thing working on PlayStation / Xbox inside"
Maybe own software or not common tech (like PS2/PS3 Cell/PS5) It is not of his level, bc maybe too hard or not "common" on PC Universe or Xbox.

If Alex really "hate" Sony, I don't think we see Checkboarding comparison or other IP Sony on DF Video.
The work of DLSS or VRS is very interesting on PC Videos, this guys have good knowledge for some techs and very uselful on DF. But yeah, some "PC Masterace if you pay 2k" speech can be tired to hear or read on the web/forum and sometimes, my impressions is go to this way.

Of course, maybe is a victim of Microsoft marketing.. (DX12 Ultimate, RT, Series X, 12TF) without try to understand how & why the opponent choose another option than power.

Last edited:

roops67

And you tried to hitch hike but no one would stop for you, then two girls with a flat tyre were up ahead and you offered to help them. They said sure since neither one of them had ever changed a tyre. They then gave you a ride. A police car asked the girls before you were done changing tyre if they would be alright. He was worried you might do something to them. But all went well and they dropped you off where you wanted to go...

OK, it would be seriously funny if this is what happened to you because it means we've met! 😀
You were the police man? 🤔

Vaztu

This general idea that 30fps is a necessity to have good graphics is still not true.
Doom Eternal, Modern Warfare and Gears 5 show that you can have both a proper framerate and good graphics and that's with shitty Jaguar CPUs.
Next-gen consoles have enough power to give us both a jump in framerate and graphics except if devs insist on wasting it all on just graphics, in which case they hopefully get outsold by 60fps games.

Gears 5 had inconsistent animations, and Doom Eternal is in my backlog, saved for next-gen.

I guess the question one can ask here is, if these games were 30FPS, how much more graphics could they have pushed.

But since these are shooters, 60FPS is better than having extra effects at 30FPS; so it doesn't completely apply to what the dev said.

zaitsu

Banned
Gears 5 had inconsistent animations, and Doom Eternal is in my backlog, saved for next-gen.

I guess the question one can ask here is, if these games were 30FPS, how much more graphics could they have pushed.

But since these are shooters, 60FPS is better than having extra effects at 30FPS; so it doesn't completely apply to what the dev said.
Exactly.

FunkMiller

Honnestly, I don't think Alex is "a bad guy or fanboy".
I just think is a guy who think "console is like a PC so, this is the same thing working on PlayStation / Xbox inside"
Maybe own software or not common tech (like PS2/PS3 Cell/PS5) It is not of his level, bc maybe too hard or not "common" on PC Universe or Xbox.

I‘m going to say this, and it might not prove all that popular, but maybe the reason why people like Alex are making YouTube videos is because maybe they’re not quite gifted enough to be the ones actually creating the technology? And I don’t just mean the PlayStation. I mean tech in general.

Those who can do, those who can’t earn a living critiquing on the Internet?

DrDamn

Yes, I understand SSR. And I agree the reflected part Joe4gg highlighted isn't the same as the part above (which SSR would be normally, unless there is a problem). However, it also doesn't look correct to me for RT. A camera angle low to the ground should only reflect images also at low angle to the puddle. I don't understand where that part is coming from.

That would depend on the distance of the camera to the puddle and the distance to what is reflected from the background. The buildings reflected are much further away so what is reflected is much higher up.

squarealex

I‘m going to say this, and it might not prove all that popular, but maybe the reason why people like Alex are making YouTube videos is because maybe they’re not quite gifted enough to be the ones actually creating the technology? And I don’t just mean the PlayStation. I mean tech in general.

Don't know... you can actually have some or many people have knowledge of this. Like "upsilandre"/Quaz51, wich is the first one to find Halo 3 resolution and learning to Richard how to count, or recently the "VRS 3x3 thing" on Halo Infinite Official Screen. This guy not working in the tech (and not make video tech). Just a simple guys

Create technologie is more "Science / Mathematic" thing, even on Video Game industrie wich I think, guys on ICETeam in Sony or Tech Team on Rockstar is raw mathematic guys at high level.

Last edited:
I think John is having some problems. Maybe he's just too sensitive, into depression or whatever and the whole fanboy stuff just makes him feel bad.

Hate to tell him, the whole console warring has been going on since the 80's! He just needs to put on his big boy pants and deal with it, people always go back and forth before the start of a new generation and that will never stop, but in the end people are going to buy the machines they want and enjoy the games that come those respective systems. I am 200% ready for the next generation of consoles and can't wait to see what comes out for them!

Dabaus

Banned
Right now as we speak, Boomstick gaming which is an alternative universe xbox truther (for lack of a better term) is hosting podcast on youtube this very second titled: "PS5 More expensive & less powerful says trusted industry insider." Incredible how all of this bad ps5 bad news dam breaks the day after Halo gets delayed. More than mere coincidence I might add.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
It finally rained here in the UK this afternoon, Glorious 10-minute drizzle downpour. It's still hot, more humid now SIgh.

At the same time, Alex, bestowed upon us some of his wondrous wisdom.

It's like they are both from the heavens.

Tears are falling now, joyful tears of laughter.

thank you Alex, you have brighten my day with that Raytracing comment. No puns needed.

He is more of Playstation fan.

He is under alot of stress in his job as his workplace ( the video games world) is toxic. I don't blame him.

Also, I agree with him that this year is not good for new consoles release. Everyone has a problem. Both companies are not ready and suffering from COVID. See their showings, they are all weak as they habe to put things together in the last moment while working remotely.
even sony didn't do well in showing PS5. I am buying PS5 based on their track record, but thier showing so far is weak. Nothing close to PS4 announcement where they sold everyone a PS4 from the first moment of Shadow Fall gameplay.

Stop cappin for these guys. These guys are very privileged. Their problems are minor compared to others around the world. The guys a softy complaining about something he can easily control. Don't look at your phone/laptop/emails. In real life you should actually do other things outside of gaming.Otherwise its not healthy as we can clearly see from his tweets. He's already a softy.

His "hard" job is to analyse video games. Physical Labour jobs is hard work. Not watching video games. These guys are not devs. Just regular guys. Critiquing real devs that would run circles around them in programming. I ain't got sympathy for these guys. If they were actually devs they would get passes. But they are random Joe blogs. I never even heard of these guys until this year. And straight away I knew they were compromised paid shills. Channels like VG tech do better jobs & he/she/they don't even talk its straight video data.

If DF were gamers they would be exited & make better content than console war crap. The guys part of his own problem.Now wants to cry. Because Halo flopped. Get over your feelings. Last time I checked when you are in the workplace you should not be distracted. Put your phone down & do your work. Everyone else does it at real jobs.

Lastly Im a ol school fella.I dont like whiney guys crying about pathetic things. The toxicity claims are weak. The guy participates in console warring now wants to call it bad.He deserves all the backslash that comes with it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It finally rained here in the UK this afternoon, Glorious 10-minute drizzle downpour. It's still hot, more humid now SIgh.

At the same time, Alex, bestowed upon us some of his wondrous wisdom.

It's like they are both from the heavens.

Tears are falling now, joyful tears of laughter.

thank you Alex, you have brighten my day with that Raytracing comment. No puns needed.
It wasn't rain dude ... Somedy informed Alex that Halo was delayed...
He jizzed first from hearing the Name Halo then cried enough to lower the globe's temperature.
Then on its knees in a puddle of real man tears and with a sudden renown determination he claimed with the fire of halo 5's forge in his eyes "I will make them pay"
He grabbed his hello kitty keyboard ready to do what he does best ... make a fool of himself on twiiter ... he claimed it was not ray tracing on the puddle before (like countless times) being proved wrong.
He then crawled back to his mother's basement swearing and promising to himself...
giphy.webp

An angel has fallen ...Alex the bringer of light is no more, as he became that evil demon zooming on a subpixel level in every sony videogames.
He will have his revenge and green hell shall fall on earth.

sircaw

Banned

The technology that Sony's using for the PS5 is AMD SmartShift and...a lot of people are just assuming the PS5 is going to be right there with the Xbox Series X, and it may be, I don't know for sure, I'm not a developer, but this SmartShift tech is worrisome I think. What it does is it moves power between the CPU and the GPU and developers really haven't had to worry about that, especially on consoles, in the past.

This could, at launch at least, prove troublesome, to the point where you could start getting stories from Digital Foundry or whatever saying "Y'know, the PS5 version is actually kind of wack." That will get cleared up over time, developers will figure it out, Sony will figure it out and explain to developers "here's what to do," but my understanding is they're not doing that yet and that's the issue. So, you go into launch, and people [could be] disappointed, with, like, Madden, NBA 2K, Call of Duty. That could leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

Why is always fucking Sony having these issues? FUD, fucking EVERYWHERE.

Those statements lol, sigh i give up.

dwish

He/She uses the dev mode on xbox one, so i doubt that he/she has access to any dev kit:

Theres no code there!!! And no branches!! (Here is the project history: https://github.com/Kirby0Louise/Void2D/commits/master ).
Actually, all his/her repos are empty except for a couple shitty small WinForms VB (which nobody uses anymore) projects lol. What a fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom