• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL-01

... what is an "Esitmated Retail Price" coming from the manufacturer itself? :messenger_neutral: First time I've heard that one.
All retail prices from manufacturers are “suggested”. Retailers can choose to price them however they want, they just stick to it cause it’d be bad pr to sell things more expensive than other places

skneogaf

I'm not surprised the xbox series S was leaked as Microsoft waited way too long to show it. The same situation happened with the name due to the controllers being seen.

kyliethicc

So its not a cube. Its digital only. Its white, around $25/month w/ Game Pass or $300. Interesting.
Leaking then tweeting it at 4am... weird. Rushed.

Sounds like Series X will be $500.... so Sony is gonna be crazy if the PS5 is more than 500.

Now the design.. are they trying to do the Apple iPhone approach of "embrace the notch" or something?
Is the black circle meant to match the d-pad which is also a black circle?
Why isn't it flush?
Could they not find a way to make that part white? Bit strange, ugly.

Small box though. X is 30 x 15 x 15. This looks like 28 x 15 x 6, roughly.

OtZdrVD.jpg

Last edited:

HAL-01

Now the design.. are they trying to do the Apple iPhone approach of "embrace the notch" or something?

Is the black circle meant to match the d-pad which is also a black circle?

Could they not find a way to make that part white? Bit strange. Small box though.

OtZdrVD.jpg
They probably thought it looked too similar to the One S so they added a big ass circle so people can actually tell them apart from a glance

DinoD

I think Microsoft is going to capture the market share completely from Sony next gen. I mean look at those prices, $299 for Series S and $499 for Series X which has the tflop advantage and touted as the most powerful console ever, like what does the competition have besides faster SSD and higher I/o and better first party output? Microsoft will market their console as the most powerful console for third party games. Sony's silence on PS5 is actually making me a bit worried right now :(

What is that you worry about? MS having more market share? 3rd party games are still going to be made for PS5, plus you will have great exclusives. If MS comes back with much better offering who's to prevent you to switch or have 2 consoles. Competition is always a good thing for the industry. You wouldn't want either MS or Sony to dominate the market.

Regards

Vae_Victis

Banned
All retail prices from manufacturers are “suggested”. Retailers can choose to price them however they want, they just stick to it cause it’d be bad pr to sell things more expensive than other places
Isn't that RRP (Recommended Retail Price)? This is "Estimated". I think there is some intentional difference here, as in "not finalized".

kyliethicc

They probably thought it looked too similar to the One S so they added a big ass circle so people can actually tell them apart from a glance
Well the size and lack of disc drive could be the first clue, or they could have just made it black, not white.

I think when laid flat the black circle won't be seen. somewhat.

Last edited:

chilichote

Smart move by Microsoft; everyone wants to know the price of the PS5 and frustration is starting to spread. And so they are present again. At least for a while.

But: the XSeS is the new definition of ugly. Without that round "speaker" it would look like a boring console, but with that "thing" ... urgh!

On the other hand, I don't care what a console looks like as long as it does what it's supposed to^^

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
This will be fun. If Sony is willing to stop waiting and just go balls to the wall, they announce the DE at 350 and the regular at 450 and kill both consoles. 400 / 500 is way more realistic, and I can't see a world where it will be above that.

As for the Series X, again, pretty obvious they will price it at least 200$ high. This is not the case of apple pricing the 16GB iphone 50 bucks cheaper than the 64GB, because there they were increasing the price of the lowest capacity device to "force" people into the better value one at 64GB, the one they wanted to sell. This is a case where even 500$ will cut it super close to BOM, and selling it at any less than 500 will kill the Series S.

Saudumm

Isn't that RRP (Recommended Retail Price)? This is "Estimated". I think there is some intentional difference here, as in "not finalized".
The German Xbox Tweet said "UVP" (unverbindliche Preisempfehlung) which is the equivalent to RRP. That make "ERP" in the US and UK tweets even weirder.

What is that you worry about? MS having more market share? 3rd party games are still going to be made for PS5, plus you will have great exclusives. If MS comes back with much better offering who's to prevent you to switch or have 2 consoles. Competition is always a good thing for the industry. You wouldn't want either MS or Sony to dominate the market.

Regards

yes that's exactly my point, don't want it to become one sided just as it was this entire generation

geordiemp

I think Microsoft is going to capture the market share completely from Sony next gen. I mean look at those prices, $299 for Series S and $499 for Series X which has the tflop advantage and touted as the most powerful console ever, like what does the competition have besides faster SSD and higher I/o and better first party output? Microsoft will market their console as the most powerful console for third party games. Sony's silence on PS5 is actually making me a bit worried right now :(

Tflops dont mean anything, its how it is utilised while running games that is the benchmark. We have seen nothing to suggest any differences in third party games, absolutely nothing. And we have not even seen any next gen games run on XSX, none.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I wonder if Sony is doing something this week and Xbox knows so they leaked this and rushed out the S.

Remember Xbox telling Digital Foundry the Series X has "sustained constant clocks" just days before Sony announced variable clocks for PS5?

Xbox must know something PS5 is coming. This Series S reveal feels rushed.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wonder if Sony is doing something this week and Xbox knows so they leaked this and rushed out the S.

Remember Xbox telling Digital Foundry the Series X has "sustained constant clocks" just days before Sony announced variable clocks for PS5?

Xbox must know something PS5 is coming. This Series S reveal feels rushed.
Yep. Was thinking the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom