• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

Microsoft was slightly custom RDNA 2 GPUs. Sony’s PS5 is Custom RDNA ? GPU. PS5 GPU is RDNA is more customized then Microsoft’s. It got RDNA2 and RDNA 1 plus some other customization. Though I think PS5 is still considered RDNA2 overall.

Also there is a whisper that the definition of RDNA 2 might have changed slightly. Idk if that effect Xbox Series or the PS5. But rumor is Efficiencies per watt is around 65-70% and the performance is even better then AMD thought it was. But we get more information on RDNA 2 for sure in October.

No, both are confirmed custom RDNA2. They'll have their own unique changes I'm sure. I was just pointing out Microsoft's inconsistency around RDNA/RDNA2 that doesn't exist with Zen 2. Zen 2 is always Zen 2 and never referred to as just Zen for example.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No, both are confirmed custom RDNA2. They'll have their own unique changes I'm sure. I was just pointing out Microsoft's inconsistency around RDNA/RDNA2 that doesn't exist with Zen 2. Zen 2 is always Zen 2 and never referred to as just Zen for example.
Richard already looked at the xbox series x gpu die shot and confirmed that its identical to rdna 1.0 5700 series cards.

so technically both the ps5 and xsx are rdna 1.0 with features bolted on. both have hardware rt. ms has vrs. ps5 has cache scrubbers. they are both using different features based on the same architecture.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'll be kind of surprised if they don't kill the Pro and just drop a new slim SKU. I don't think it's smart to have a low end premium console muddying the waters. Not like anyone has had them in stock for months anyway.

My brother bought another PS4 Pro for his sons for $470 last month.:lollipop_smirking: Most of them being sold at that price this late, bundled with cheap games like U4, Spiderman, etc. The Slim is around $400 (prices have spiked during the pandemic due to extreme demand). I think people gonna eat PS5's like crazy, and the not sold ones will be dragged elsewhere to more demanding markets at higher prices in the gray market, as usual.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
11 million is still a LOT IMO
why am I not surprised. :messenger_expressionless:

JRffhmD.png

15 million by March 2021 would've been very high anyway. By March 2014, PS4 was only at 7.5 million sold.

No way they're going over $500 if they planned on needing/selling that many so early.

It is crazy. I'm not sure how they can say yield issues when they are making 11 million in 6 months (even higher than previous 10 million)? More like they can't keep up with the demand!

If it's no longer a global launch(which it probably isn't) that's a pretty high number of units.

I still expect this thing to be short supply at launch. Of note, I did talk to my former cohort. He says he expects Thursday, but says be ready as they could turn the SKU on with allocation emails going out immediately if Sony does an "available now" move.

That would really be chaotic, so I doubt that...not to mention most GameStops are running at so few hours in payroll it is single coverage all day.

Entroyp

It is crazy. I'm not sure how they can say yield issues when they are making 11 million in 6 months (even higher than previous 10 million)? More like they can't keep up with the demand!

Something doesn’t add up here... 15 Million is way too many units. Maybe the numbers are wrong and the original plan was 11 million units?

Also, yield issues and producing 11 million units? What?

Something doesn’t add up here... 15 Million is way too many units. Maybe the numbers are wrong and the original plan was 11 million units?

Also, yield issues and producing 11 million units? What?

The more quotes that come out of that article the more doubts I have about it (the timing is suss too).

ZippDude

Maybe a $50 difference, so standard edition would be something like $449 and DE would be $399, just a guess.

Btw that would mean standard edition £399 for us lovely folks here in the U.K right?!

Fish and Chips on me lads! ;)
I keep thinking a $50 gap not being sufficient to push DE tbh. Sony i assume wants more people picking up the DE as they get a bigger cut in software sales. Have to make it tempting and $50 isn't enough imo to make buyers drop their physical collections in favor of getting the DE.

ZippDude

Yeah as Z ZippDude pointed out, a $50 difference doesn't seem big enough to push a DE version, would have to be around $70-100, but no way in hell would the DE be below $399.
My guess would be 399/499...creates a wide enough gap to make me consider the DE and just re-buy some of the games I want to play boosted.

Allows for the possibility to drop physical version down to 450 in spring/mid-year next year to keep the ball rolling.

kyliethicc

My guess would be 399/499...creates a wide enough gap to make me consider the DE and just re-buy some of the games I want to play boosted.

Allows for the possibility to drop physical version down to 450 in spring/mid-year next year to keep the ball rolling.
It would also set up the inevitable PS5 Slim DE to hit the magic $299 price around 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom