• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you'll say tht lol it'll kill u if the PS5 is more powerful. We've all connected the dots. Ppl want to pick and choose who thy believe in not based on the messenger and history but based on what plastic box their on love with 🤣❤❤❤❤💯
Read my post history. Everyone here shits on Xbox, but I've not said one bad thing about Playstation. I don't have a preference. But I'm not going to put blind faith in a dude that's been literally wrong as fuck. I do, however, trust VFXVeteran VFXVeteran regardless of how snarky he can be at times.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some of the people leaking have credibility. OsirisBlack on the other hand was about 80% wrong regarding the PS4Pro leaks, I'm not sure why people consider him to have credibility. A couple guesses were right, but not unlike the rumors that were spreading around that time frame.

Almost every "leaker" is not batting 1.000, and never has been.

It always ends up being the clock is right twice a day scenario when push comes to shove.

Keep everything in check until specs are fully revealed, officially.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
there is a reason MS nor Sony are talking about TFs.

That’s because what they aim for and what is available in dev kits can be different depending on the stage they are at, which is why you’re months/year old Ariel specs are absolutely worthless.

I’m sure you know this but conveniently like to ignore this fact.

They are not talking TFs because if in fact Lockhart launches and is only 4 TFs too many people are going to say its obviously not near as good as even an X at 6 then they dont actually compare.

Mass Shift

They are not talking TFs because if in fact Lockhart launches and is only 4 TFs too many people are going to say its obviously not near as good as even an X at 6 then they dont actually compare.

MS is going to have show One X games running on Lockhart to make that point. Of course once they show those games running on Lockhart then all current gen Xbox sales would grind to a halt. And this has to be the real reason why Spencer doesn't want to talk about it.

Dabaus

Banned
I hope i can articulate this thought correctly, so here goes.

Weve heard lockheart is 4 teraflops, and anaconda is 12. However, whenever they reference lockheart at being 4 teraflops they reference ps4 pro, which is not using RDNA teraflop measurements. If lockheart were 4 RDNA teraflops, it would be closer to the xbox one x wouldnt it? And dont you think that would be something microsoft would want to to tout? So when windows central, which i believe was a controlled leak by microsoft, says "12 teraflops", do they mean the old measurment of current teraflops, or 12 based on RDNA? Why would Microsoft use the ps4 pro 4 teraflops as a 1:1 for lockeart but use RDNA 12 teraflops for scarlett?

I hope that make sense.

Last edited:
MS is going to have show One X games running on Lockhart to make that point. Of course once they show those games running on Lockhart then all current gen Xbox sales would grind to a halt. And this has to be the real reason why Spencer doesn't want to talk about it.

Without a doubt current sales will die and Lockhart may very well just replace the current Xbox lineup right away.

Dlacy13g

I am still of the mindset Lockhart is not a launch console but rather something for down the road now that will be digital only/geared toward streaming and come out say a year o two after launch filling the role of the All Digital console but it wont be there at launch.

Thedtrain

Weve heard lockheart is 4 teraflops, and anaconda is 12. However, whenever they reference lockheart at being 4 teraflops they reference ps4 pro, which is not using RDNA teraflop measurements. If lockheart were 4 RDNA teraflops, it would be closer to the xbox one x wouldnt it? And dont you think that would be something microsoft would want to to tout? So when windows central, which i believe was a controlled leak by microsoft, says "12 teraflops", do they mean the old measurment of current teraflops, or 12 based on RDNA? Why would Microsoft use the ps4 pro 4 teraflops as a 1:1 for scarlett but use RDNA 12 teraflops for scarlett?

I hope that make sense.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but flops are flops, rDNA are just more efficient. It would be weird marketing to claim 12tf gcn equivalent~9tf rdna card

Bani

Weve heard lockheart is 4 teraflops, and anaconda is 12. However, whenever they reference lockheart at being 4 teraflops they reference ps4 pro, which is not using RDNA teraflop measurements. If lockheart were 4 RDNA teraflops, it would be closer to the xbox one x wouldnt it? And dont you think that would be something microsoft would want to to tout? So when windows central, which i believe was a controlled leak by microsoft, says "12 teraflops", do they mean the old measurment of current teraflops, or 12 based on RDNA? Why would Microsoft use the ps4 pro 4 teraflops as a 1:1 for lockeart but use RDNA 12 teraflops for scarlett?

I hope that make sense.
12 teraflops RDNA , It would be 18 + GCN TF

Dabaus

Banned
In this instance, 4TF RDNA is 6TF GCN. Which is more like the Xbox One X, than the PS4 Pro.
Thats what im saying, why wouldnt that be the comparison then? Why did they specifically point out ps4 pro which is also 4 gcn teraflops? So why would they use gcn teraflop measurements for lockheart, but then switch over to rdna when describing anaconda?

That's actually exactly what I posted as that's what I was told about the FF2400 as far as its ray tracing capabilities. Overall performance should exceed that by a fair margin.

as for your allergies.

In due time when crime fleas my mind
All sneak thieves and playa haters can shine
But until then I keep the trillion cut diamonds shinin brilliant
I'll tell you half the story, the rest you fill it in
Long as the villian win
I spend Japan yen, attend major events
Catch me in the joints, convinced my iguanas is bitin
J-A-Y hyphen, controllin, manipulatin
I got a good life man!

Enjoy yours and take some sudafed.
Anyone even try to understand what this is?

Dabaus

Banned
If you all really believe that the FF2400 is More powerful than 0000FF just give it a minute. They are BOTH > 10 with 0000FF having a slight advantage. Neither machine is sitting at 10TF. Lets see when others start talking about the Ray Tracing differences and what 0000FF has planned for extra storage. I'll go back and read everything back to page 299. Diana is not burned so I will be around. Also Phil does not have a dev kit. I'm going to ask if I can be very specific and I will post either way. Everything's about to drop the damn has been bombarded by Thanos.

I never believed phil took a dev kit home. Its absurd he would even say that.

Marlenus

But you undervolted yours, no? And 2.2GHZ would be hitting 245W for 11.2TF, so still not hitting 12TF, let alone 13TF.

You would not run it at 2.2 GHz because that is too far up the clock/voltage curve.

Looking at the graph 1.8Ghz was the sweet spot at around 120W

40% more CUs running at the same speed would be 56CUs and use around 180W while hitting nearly 13TF. Drop it to 1.7Ghz and you are at 12TF and closer to 150W. 8c zen2 at 3.5Ghz will be sub 60W. Totally doable in the power budget.

ZywyPL

Banned
I hope that make sense.

They do compare the Anaconda to X1X 6TF, so it's 1:1 in both examples. Which would give about 2x more GPU power difference for both X1S vs Lockhart and X1X vs Anaconda. And the difference between Lockhart and Anaconda would be 3x, compared to 4x between X1S an X1X. And it all sounds just too perfect to support the idea of two next-gen models, a FHD one (instead of 720-900p, hence more TF difference in next-gen "base" model) and a 4K one.

It would be weird marketing [....]

Nobody is marketing anything, that's the point. The only thing Sony and MS THEMSELVES claimed so far is the Zen and Navi architectures, SSD storage, and RT support, but no numbers were even given by those companies.

I bet none of the two will ever compare their next-gen consoles to the competitor - as usual, they will compare their new console to the predecessor, and I'm not even talking about the mid-gen refresh models, because the difference would be so narrow. I mean - 10x more GPU power (vs XB1) sounds waaay better than just 2x more GPU power (vs X1X)..

And I don't expect any specific numbers to be thrown when revealing PS5 and XB2 to be hones, rather than the "X times more" etc., or like when the PS4 was revealed (and bare in mind they didn't compared it to anything at all back then, not even the PS3) - 8-core X86 CPU, a PC-like GPU, 8GB GDDR5, just some ordinary stuff that gives people general idea of what's under the hood.

Which even if you look at it even today looks like quite a powerful machine, better than most ordinary Joes have, but it was exactly the details that indicated that those consoles aren't really that powerful - those 8 cores were actually as "powerful" as a 2C/2T Celeron, out of those 8GB only 5 were actually useful, and the GPU's were below PC's mid-end spectrum, to say the least.

The TFlops were somewhat good from marketing standpoint because that was the only difference between the consoles - they both had the same 8C jaguar, same 8GB unified memory pool, same 1TB laptop HDDs, same Blu-Ray drives, and even the GPUs were exactly the same, except one had more CU than the other, hence the TF difference., because MS wasted a lot of die space for ESRAM.

But now, when Sony learned from both PS3 mistakes and PS4 success, and MS learned from both XB1 mistakes and X1X success, I have absolutely no doubts neither of the two screw up this time around, and won't forcingly try to reinvent the wheel, the consoles will be as simple and dev-friendly as possible. Which also means the consoles will be even more similar than PS4 and XB1 already were, simply because they cannot ask AMD for something better than AMD themselves don't have yet.

Totally doable in the power budget.

So you're basically saying that AMD purposely let's NV be the undisputed king on the GPU market? Because by your logic/math, all they should do is to just downclock the 5700 GPUs (that already run at moderate 1,7GHz) and add CUs (well it's AMD after all, so the "add more cores!" strategy would fit perfectly here ;D), but yet somehow... they don't! And we are talking about PCs here right now, where they are not so limited by space, power usage, thermals etc.

The problem is that AMD's architectures don't scale well, if any, after a certain point - we have a 3rd iteration of Zen architecture, 2nd die shrink (14>12>7nm), and still ~4GHz is the wall. And the frequency is what drives IPC, you know, the Instructions Per CLOCK - it's like torque and HP in cars, you can talk about either of the two, but it's the combination of both that makes all the final performance. And same thing applies for their GPUs - there seems to be a wall between the frequency and CU count, which AMD's GPUs seem to be unable tu surpass, they can wither put a lot of CUs but at low clock, or low CUs at high clock, or some sort of a middle ground, but the wall always appear at the same spot, which Fury X already hit in mid 2015.

BUT - all that being said, and what we all seem to forget, is that Navi, a.k.a. RDNA1 is STILL a GCN-based architecture - a greatly improved and optimized, sure, but still a GCN at its core. So maybe that's it - the next-gen consoles will be based on RDNA2, which is suppose to be AMD's truly new GPU architecture, a Ryzen equivalent for the GPU market, which IMO is the only logical explanation of such a high rumored TF numbers? Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to bet on from now on. Especially that RDNA2 is also suppose to have RT support, it all just fits too good.

Last edited:

Marlenus

They do compare the Anaconda to X1X 6TF, so it's 1:1 in both examples. Which would give about 2x more GPU power difference for both X1S vs Lockhart and X1X vs Anaconda. And the difference between Lockhart and Anaconda would be 3x, compared to 4x between X1S an X1X. And it all sounds just too perfect to support the idea of two next-gen models, a FHD one (instead of 720-900p, hence more TF difference in next-gen "base" model) and a 4K one.

Nobody is marketing anything, that's the point. The only thing Sony and MS THEMSELVES claimed so far is the Zen and Navi architectures, SSD storage, and RT support, but no numbers were even given by those companies.

I bet none of the two will ever compare their next-gen consoles to the competitor - as usual, they will compare their new console to the predecessor, and I'm not even talking about the mid-gen refresh models, because the difference would be so narrow. I mean - 10x more GPU power (vs XB1) sounds waaay better than just 2x more GPU power (vs X1X)..

And I don't expect any specific numbers to be thrown when revealing PS5 and XB2 to be hones, rather than the "X times more" etc., or like when the PS4 was revealed (and bare in mind they didn't compared it to anything at all back then, not even the PS3) - 8-core X86 CPU, a PC-like GPU, 8GB GDDR5, just some ordinary stuff that gives people general idea of what's under the hood.

Which even if you look at it even today looks like quite a powerful machine, better than most ordinary Joes have, but it was exactly the details that indicated that those consoles aren't really that powerful - those 8 cores were actually as "powerful" as a 2C/2T Celeron, out of those 8GB only 5 were actually useful, and the GPU's were below PC's mid-end spectrum, to say the least.

The TFlops were somewhat good from marketing standpoint because that was the only difference between the consoles - they both had the same 8C jaguar, same 8GB unified memory pool, same 1TB laptop HDDs, same Blu-Ray drives, and even the GPUs were exactly the same, except one had more CU than the other, hence the TF difference., because MS wasted a lot of die space for ESRAM.

But now, when Sony learned from both PS3 mistakes and PS4 success, and MS learned from both XB1 mistakes and X1X success, I have absolutely no doubts neither of the two screw up this time around, and won't forcingly try to reinvent the wheel, the consoles will be as simple and dev-friendly as possible. Which also means the consoles will be even more similar than PS4 and XB1 already were, simply because they cannot ask AMD for something better than AMD themselves don't have yet.

So you're basically saying that AMD purposely let's NV be the undisputed king on the GPU market? Because by your logic/math, all they should do is to just downclock the 5700 GPUs (that already run at moderate 1,7GHz) and add CUs (well it's AMD after all, so the "add more cores!" strategy would fit perfectly here ;D), but yet somehow... they don't! And we are talking about PCs here right now, where they are not so limited by space, power usage, thermals etc.

The problem is that AMD's architectures don't scale well, if any, after a certain point - we have a 3rd iteration of Zen architecture, 2nd die shrink (14>12>7nm), and still ~4GHz is the wall. And the frequency is what drives IPC, you know, the Instructions Per CLOCK - it's like torque and HP in cars, you can talk about either of the two, but it's the combination of both that makes all the final performance. And same thing applies for their GPUs - there seems to be a wall between the frequency and CU count, which AMD's GPUs seem to be unable tu surpass, they can wither put a lot of CUs but at low clock, or low CUs at high clock, or some sort of a middle ground, but the wall always appear at the same spot, which Fury X already hit in mid 2015.

BUT - all that being said, and what we all seem to forget, is that Navi, a.k.a. RDNA1 is STILL a GCN-based architecture - a greatly improved and optimized, sure, but still a GCN at its core. So maybe that's it - the next-gen consoles will be based on RDNA2, which is suppose to be AMD's truly new GPU architecture, a Ryzen equivalent for the GPU market, which IMO is the only logical explanation of such a high rumored TF numbers? Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to bet on from now on. Especially that RDNA2 is also suppose to have RT support, it all just fits too good.

Every node+uarch has its own clock/voltage sweet spot.

AMD GPUs do tend to be at the high end of that curve to extract the most performance. Consoles are tuned to balance performance and power so lower clocks and lower volts will do that.

IPC is independent on frequency. Clue is in the name which is instructions per clock. Performance is the meld of IPC and clockspeed where a lower IPC Architecture that clocks enough higher can perform better.

It seems to me that AMD are focusing on CPUs at the moment and just doing enough on the GPU side to stay on the market. Could a theoretical 5700 XT with more CUs but lower clocks get the same performance but use less power, yes but it would be a larger die so margins would be smaller and it would mean more wafers making Navi 10 GPUs instead of zen2 chiplets so it is not a good strategy to maximise AMDs profit per wafer.

As far as cus per clock Radeon 7 can clock above 2GHz as can the 5700XT so I there is no issue with pushing high CU count parts at high clocks aside from power usage.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Any news for either box is good news as they will most likely be really similar tflop wise.

The ram and ssd might be where we get the real differences.

For all we know, MS may have blown the budget on gpu tflops for bragging rights (its easier to market gpu power), and may come up short on the rest.

Or not. Can't wait to see the results.

Dabaus

Banned
Lets say it really is : Lockheart: 299 at 4 terflops
Ps5: 399 at around 10.5 teraflops
Anaconda: 499 at about 12 teraflops

After all the hot takes and fanboy meltdowns, wouldnt PS5 still be in the pole position? Still really powerful but not outrageously expensive. Solid first party, good 3rd party support, backwards compatible, still has ray tracing. I feel like if this were to happen it would a repeat of this generation all over again. Anaconda might sell well initially but after that i cant see it at 500 keeping momentum. Its not like Microsoft is coming off a ps2 like domination and selling on brand name alone. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Mr.XtremeGamer

Neo Member
OEr3MOT.jpg

Even more stupidity. From clueless people on the Internet. In other words. Tales from someone's butthole. I'm sorry guys, i tried to stop myself, but the stupidity in those tweets is far too insane to not include here just for laughs!!!

Mr.XtremeGamer

Neo Member
jTdBgtH.jpg

And now the cherry on top. Please be warned that things go on a downward spiral and border on complete stupidity and brain cell loss from here. It literally mentions Navi as the architecture and navi uses a next gen architecture known as rdna, their misinterpretation of things is literally going way beyond them pulling things out of their arse. Navi is literally based on amd's next gen architecture, also known as rdna. Rdna 2 gpus don't exist yet and navi isn't built on rdna 2. But hey, once again, these people have to manipulate what's put before them to try to prove an imaginary point they pulled out of their ass.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
jTdBgtH.jpg

And now the cherry on top. Please be warned that things go on a downward spiral and border on complete stupidity and brain cell loss from here. It literally mentions Navi as the architecture and navi uses a next gen architecture known as rdna, their misinterpretation of things is literally going way beyond them pulling things out of their arse. Navi is literally based on amd's next gen architecture, also known as rdna. Rdna 2 gpus don't exist yet and navi isn't built on rdna 2. But hey, once again, these people have to manipulate what's put before them to try to prove an imaginary point they pulled out of their ass.
so PS5 is using RDNA 1 and Xbox Scarlett is using RDNA 2.0. 2.0 = 20% better than RDNA 1 so even if the PS5 is 14 tflops, both consoles will be the same.

Checkmate Cerny.

vpance

Lets say it really is : Lockheart: 299 at 4 terflops
Ps5: 399 at around 10.5 teraflops
Anaconda: 499 at about 12 teraflops

After all the hot takes and fanboy meltdowns, wouldnt PS5 still be in the pole position? Still really powerful but not outrageously expensive. Solid first party, good 3rd party support, backwards compatible, still has ray tracing. I feel like if this were to happen it would a repeat of this generation all over again. Anaconda might sell well initially but after that i cant see it at 500 keeping momentum. Its not like Microsoft is coming off a ps2 like domination and selling on brand name alone. Just my 2 cents.

Imagine $449 13TF PS5. That's a fatality.

Mass Shift

Theme for this threads anxiety -

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody 's looking for something

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

Hold your head up, keep your head up, movin on
Hold your head up, movin on
Keep your head up, movin on

TLZ

Banned
OEr3MOT.jpg

Even more stupidity. From clueless people on the Internet. In other words. Tales from someone's butthole. I'm sorry guys, i tried to stop myself, but the stupidity in those tweets is far too insane to not include here just for laughs!!!
tazYkuF.jpg

Even more laughable and embarrassing tweets from the one and only!!! This time he tries to roast Jason Schreier on the second tweet by calling him a sony fanboy, even though Jason is an insider far more reliable than he'll ever be.
jTdBgtH.jpg

giphy.gif

Stuart360

They wont have to do that, they can just show Scarlett games running and looking the same on Lockhart, side by side. While explaining the strategy of 'the same games', but with Scarlett being 4k, and Lockhart being 1080p.
Having said that, i still dont believe the Lockhart rumours, not for launch anyway. If anything it will probably end up a diskless all digital Scarlett.

LordOfChaos

Yeah why even bring attention to Mister Xmedia again, he's been wrong so often and is purely a fud machine that shamelessly keeps on going.

What happened to SonGoku SonGoku tho now that we have some actual real news coming in? Hong Kong protests? Ukraine? Brazil? Some guy who had his computer taken away for bad grades? I've heard almost all of those, which one is real, anyone know?

Lone Wolf

Yeah why even bring attention to Mister Xmedia again, he's been wrong so often and is purely a fud machine that shamelessly keeps on going.

What happened to SonGoku SonGoku tho now that we have some actual real news coming in? Hong Kong protests? Ukraine? Brazil? Some guy who had his computer taken away for bad grades? I've heard almost all of those, which one is real, anyone know?
He just suddenly stopped posting, which makes me fear that he passed away or something. Hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom