• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defrop

Banned
Cross-gen PS5
wABL8IW.jpg

VS

Cross-gen Series X
mGKDfq6.jpg

Last edited:

Boglin

What bugs me about Spider-man and Horizon is those titles had examples provided that showed ways the original PS4 entries were held back by the hdd. It seemed like a safe assumption that they would no longer be constrained moving forward but apparently not. It's ironic that it just had to be those two specific 1st party titles being cross-gen.

Neo Blaster

If this is crossgen, what is better than that? Have gamers seen anything better? And what is next if this is cross-gen? The future gonna be insane.

50350109441_14b7869c66_k.jpg

I mean, this is a real cross gen taking advantage of the new console, not Halo.
Bo, the problem is Sony being as misleading as MS, why did they tout generations and next gen features while hiding two of their big games were crossgen?

Nickolaidas

the PC will be running the same cross gen games designed around the 1.8 tflops and 1.6 ghz cpus.

time to quit this fucking hobby and try something else.
It's the classic transitional period between consoles. In a couple of years, there won't be any cross-gen games. It's not like they're going to be making PS4 games till the end of time ...

12Dannu123

Sony is the only console player that has had game streaming on the market for YEARS. MS is the one playing catch up. But again, Sony had the entire PS4 generation to expand PSNOW to more countries in preparation for next gen. Hopefully sony's next announcement is that they have added PS5's to the datacenters so we can stream next gen games.

MS played catchup and overtook them; Xbox Cloud Gaming is available in more countries as well. We don't know if Sony has made any progress with MS on Azure. Until then, I'm operating under the assumption that Sony is simply behind MS in the cloud race.

Chun Swae

Banned
MS played catchup and overtook them; Xbox Cloud Gaming is available in more countries as well. We don't know if Sony has made any progress with MS on Azure. Until then, I'm operating under the assumption that Sony is simply behind MS in the cloud race.
MS has not overtaken anyone in regards to cloud gaming. PSNOW is sitting at a healthy 2.2 million subscribers while xcloud is still floundering in beta and begging Apple to let them on their store.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Woot, just got my preorder invitation email from Sony. Set for Friday. Feeling way more relaxed now. Will keep trying locally since I hate shipping, but this is sweet.

I just got mine as well, but I have questions. Are they guaranteeing we'll receive the units we pre-order ON November 12th? Doesn't say anything about that. Also, we have to wait until FRIDAY to do this when pre-orders at Amazon and GameStop, etc. apparently start TOMORROW. So has Sony withheld a number of PS5's in their stock so that they can sell them separately? Or do we risk all the available units being ordered via Amazon and then finding out Friday we can't get one? Just too many questions.

I really don't get this whole invitation thing anyway, since pre-orders are still happening with other vendors and especially with them happening at other vendors A DAY EARLIER? This just makes no sense to me. I don't get it.

Gediminas

Banned
They are speculating a norwegian price of the PS5 to be Kr. 5.499,- with the digital only being 1.000,- cheaper.
I'm used to multtiplying the $ by x10, but this is even Kr. 500,- more than that. Kr. 5.499,- converted to US dollars is $712,43 with the going rate.
you never know how they actually price it. sometimes it is 1:1 with US dollar, sometimes cost more krones.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Another FUD

What an idiot. But you know what? Even if it WERE true that we were stuck at 4k@30fps instead of 6 60fps .... exclusives, exclusives. Just too many games you can't play anywhere else...typically AWARD WINNING games too. It's more about the ecosystem.

Hey Al....what happens when you release your brand new console in 2020 but won't have any exclusives for it and that show it's power until 2022 at the earliest and most likely not until 2023????? How's that work?

Rea

Lol people made fun of Xbox for not having next gen exclusive games because playstation would!

Some of these games are coming out on PS4 too lol but oh no because Sony does it then it's fine...
No! Its not fine, I, as a Playstation fan, fucking pissed. But that console pricing its fucking sweet. I have to give them that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's the classic transitional period between consoles. In a couple of years, there won't be any cross-gen games. It's not like they're going to be making PS4 games till the end of time ...
classic as in? sony always had next gen games at launch. iirc, gow2 and gt6 are the only two games that come to mind. and they spanned two generations.

this is the first time sony is going into a gen and doing this. its quite poor.

this also means GG wont be working on a truly next gen game until 2022 at the latest. what a waste of four years of dev time.

Sinthor

Gold Member
classic as in? sony always had next gen games at launch. iirc, gow2 and gt6 are the only two games that come to mind. and they spanned two generations.

this is the first time sony is going into a gen and doing this. its quite poor.

this also means GG wont be working on a truly next gen game until 2022 at the latest. what a waste of four years of dev time.
I just don't see what the big deal is. As long as the PS5 versions take advantage of the PS5 features and things you can't get on PS4...who cares? Same on the Xbox side. I mean, I would get the complaints and fears if all you got on PS5 was an upscaled version of the PS4 game, but I seriously doubt that will be the case. These are first party games and so Sony can ensure that doesn't happen. Now if it DOES, then we can definitely complain!

Besides...is R&C coming to PS4? Even if it does, I think we can CLEARLy see that what's been shown of it would only be that way on PS5.

So is Death Stranding and Horizon. What’s your problem with more people being able to play a video game?

I'm fine with PC ports, though I expect them to be timed otherwise you do a certain amount of hurt to your console's business. As in, I don't expect many games to be day/date but overall I don't view PC as competition because most normies will never go PC... ever... so why hold back?

SlimySnake

I just don't see what the big deal is. As long as the PS5 versions take advantage of the PS5 features and things you can't get on PS4...who cares? Same on the Xbox side. I mean, I would get the complaints and fears if all you got on PS5 was an upscaled version of the PS4 game, but I seriously doubt that will be the case. These are first party games and so Sony can ensure that doesn't happen. Now if it DOES, then we can definitely complain!

Besides...is R&C coming to PS4? Even if it does, I think we can CLEARLy see that what's been shown of it would only be that way on PS5.
its not taking advantage of ps5 features beyond some fancy graphics effects like ray tracing and 60 fps. the game is designed around a 1.6 ghz cpu and a 20 mbps ssd. insomniac studios bitched and moaned about this. cerny talked about how it holds back games.

i cannot believe we are talking about this. the jaguar cpu and ssd will not be utilized beyond loading and faster framerates because of the ps4 versions. plain and simple.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's the only next gen game so far. We were tricked with Horizon and Miles.
it's not. Mark my words. This is going to PC and current gen consoles. You dont make a mistake like that. impossible. Also, back when Bluepoint first posted job listings they posted them for a current gen game and a next gen game. this was in 2018 after shipping SOTC. Dont trust Sony on this. especially not after the shit they pulled today. feel free to bookmark this post and quote me when the inevitable ps4 and pc versions arrive.

it IS a gorgeous looking game but it doesnt look to be doing anything that cant be done on current gen consoles while pairing down visuals. the fire effects dont look as good as the initial trailer either which means they are sharing tech between engines and cannot go all out on the fire tech which looked spectacular and CG in the shot with the skeleton enemy. or maybe that was CG.

Sinthor

Gold Member
its not taking advantage of ps5 features beyond some fancy graphics effects like ray tracing and 60 fps. the game is designed around a 1.6 ghz cpu and a 20 mbps ssd. insomniac studios bitched and moaned about this. cerny talked about how it holds back games.

i cannot believe we are talking about this. the jaguar cpu and ssd will not be utilized beyond loading and faster framerates because of the ps4 versions. plain and simple.
Ah, I see where you're going. I just don't see any quantifiable difference that can be pointed to that shows it. As far as I've know, it's mostly the CPU that allows you to do more fps. It's doing that, so wouldn't appear to be CPU limited? I also don't think R&C is coming to PS4? At any rate, we'll see but if someone can point to specific things that aren't being done on PS5 games because there's also a PS4 version, that would help.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Today was amazing. I’m still drooling at the Miles Morales gameplay.

Nope, not possible for you to be excited, apparently. I mean it's just a PS4 game with a little extra paint.

I mean, technically, the PS4 Spider Man is just a PS3 game that's been upscaled and given a better frame-rate...HELL we even LOST motion controls! So technically a DOWNGRADE in some respects! Disgusting!

So settle down and curb that enthusiasm NOW, son! j/k :)

Rea

So is Death Stranding and Horizon. What’s your problem with more people being able to play a video game?
I give my money to sony for those exclusive games, those people have a choice to play Sony's game, just buy a console. Don't fucking act like a begger and keep begging for ports and brag PCMR. Now Sony's going for milk cash grab from PC beggers and Old gen ps4 for new gen games, so yeah I'm pissed. I'm not those xbox fans who keep loving phill's juicy lies and keep shilling their favorite plastic box. Once again, fuck Sony for making cross gen for Spider-Man and HFW my 2 favorite next gen games.

quest

Not Banned from OT

The big deal is to say you believe in generations to throw it in Microsoft's face about cross generation games. You spark a fan war over the topic get many negative articles about Microsoft written about them and evil cross generation games. All the while parading out 2 games you know are cross generation but by ommision become next ps5 exclusives in the media with out correcting them. On your channel neglect to mention ps4 versions. You hide this truth until minutes before pre orders go live. You also get your studios to lie about content miles was damn well ps4 DLC expansion. If this was Microsoft you know there would be 1000 threads on how Phil is a liar.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The big deal is to say you believe in generations to throw it in Microsoft's face about cross generation games. You spark a fan war over the topic get many negative articles about Microsoft written about them and evil cross generation games. All the while parading out 2 games you know are cross generation but by ommision become next ps5 exclusives in the media with out correcting them. On your channel neglect to mention ps4 versions. You hide this truth until minutes before pre orders go live. You also get your studios to lie about content miles was damn well ps4 DLC expansion. If this was Microsoft you know there would be 1000 threads on how Phil is a liar.

Ok, I get where you're coming from at least. I don't AGREE, but then I wasn't someone who was all exercised about what MS was doing either. I get what you're saying though as some people did definitely take that ball and run all the way with it.

The salient point for me was whether cross generational games would be HELD BACK. We seem to have seen that with Halo Infinite (maybe, maybe not, but it seems that is likely). But I haven't seen ANYTHING pointed to that would actually show these PS5 games being held back. Just generic arguments that only resolution, effects and frame rates have been improved which is......kind of what you get with new generations of hardware or newer graphic cards on the PC even. So I don't understand THOSE concerns or arguments. I haven't seen any developers complaining that was the case either...maybe we'll see that as we get to launch and beyond...

I'm not saying it's not possible that games are held back in this model, just saying I don't think we have actual evidence of that. I think people are being a little too knee-jerk reactional to what they FEAR may be the case. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom