• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's just 16GB, I expect it all to be dedicated to games and for there to be an additional ~4GB pool for the OS.

My only concern going forward is RAM and Bandwidth..

An SSD will help, but I don't suspect it'll help enough in this particular aspect.

In regards to what's needed, I see a lot of assumptions being based on current gen games running on current gen hardware or scaled up to top-end PCs. True, next-gen only games will be another kettle of fish, especially with RT.

I'm certainly not disputing it'll be more pricey, but it doesn't change the possibility of it being this gen's bottleneck.

Onboard storage-class ReRAM would help a good deal actually, but there's literally no confirmation if either system is utilizing this. And recent mentions make it seem that the SSD optimization will be in the form of a customized controller over NVMe PCIe 4.0. The thing with the ReRAM solution though is, realistically, they would only be able to go for between 64-96 GB at most; 128GB would be strongly pushing it, even for a system targeting $499 MSRP.

RAM bandwidth can range anywhere from 320 GB/s (x8 1.25GHz chips, 256-bit bus) to 1.0656 TB/s (x10 2GHz chips, but downclocked to 1.85GHz each, 384-bit bus). Since it seems Sony's going for a lean-and-fast approach, they'll probably go for a 256-bit or 320-bit bus. MAYBE 288-bit but that's an odd 9-chip setup, tho it'd ensure 18GB of memory with 2GB chips.

If they go for a 256-bit bus I imagine they could probably push 2GHz chips to about 1.85GHz and have a strong cooling system for them and the APU, so that'd be 477.3 GB/s bandwidth. Maybe they could push the chips a full 2GHz, for 512 GB/s bandwidth but that'd push it well past 2080 Super's bandwidth, and that's a 13+ TFLOP GPU. That's why I think chips clocked around 1.8GHz-1.85GHz might be more in line with a 10 TFLOP system, and still allow for strong but more affordable cooling.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Shinobi says it's gonna be a 3rd party PS5 game.

081.gif

I wouldn't mind. Tht game graphically looks next Gen as is, I can only imagine how ps5 version looks.

It looks Very good indeed, but First party launch game like Killzone and Infamous were way ahead of anything on PS3 and even on Pc dear I say.

Nextgen only games Will raise the bar right away as always imo

People love to discuss specs numbers and too many always spread the Idea that nextgen is Just higher res and filters current games for reason I dont fucking know why (in other words, Just a current multiplat game on a powerfull Pc)

I always laugh at that

Sony did want a faster than usual transition from PS4 -> PS5. If there ever were a game that could do it then GTAVI would be it.

If Sony manages a timed-exclusivity deal with GTA6, the gen will be over right then and there. It's just too obvious and I'd have to imagine MS is fighting to hell and back to prevent something that catastrophic from happening right at the start of next-gen.

If not? Well honestly, they would deserve what happens afterwards. Something like GTA6 will pretty much set up next-gen for whoever manages to get even a few months timed exclusivity or brand relation with, it's the nuke of next-gen and whoever gets it even for a little while wins the war.

Crazy to think it'll be coming around the start of next-gen but very likely; 5 was technically almost seven years ago.

Navi 14 = Lockhart ?

PXQMKKa.png

Hmm...at that price and that performance Lockhart would actually make some strategic sense. Should still be focused primarily as a streaming solution but $199 (at bulk for big discounts on it plus the costs added for casing, controller etc I figure a BOM could be reached to MSRP at $199) is the much preferred price point for that type of option.

And your point is what? Ps3 upon its release costing hundreds more, with inferior multiplats and tht big online outage still outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month. What hurt Sony was the high cost and loss on each ps3 sold.

Feel like 'ya gotta clarify what "worldwide" means in this context. If it's market-by-market, yes that's true for many of the global markets, especially in places where 360 was virtually nonexistent.

If you mean in terms of raw numbers, then no that's not quite true. 360's numbers were so damn strong in US and UK that they helped it keep a bit ahead of PS3 for most of that generation, in terms of raw sales. Granted it had a year head start and maybe if you launch-align things look a bit differently (I wouldn't know), but this is just going off of what actually happened with no adjustments.

I think people are forgetting just how dominant 360 was in those two markets throughout the '06-'11 period, it was pretty dang impressive.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
If Sony manages a timed-exclusivity deal with GTA6, the gen will be over right then and there. It's just too obvious and I'd have to imagine MS is fighting to hell and back to prevent something that catastrophic from happening right at the start of next-gen.

If not? Well honestly, they would deserve what happens afterwards. Something like GTA6 will pretty much set up next-gen for whoever manages to get even a few months timed exclusivity or brand relation with, it's the nuke of next-gen and whoever gets it even for a little while wins the war.

Crazy to think it'll be coming around the start of next-gen but very likely; 5 was technically almost seven years ago.

Hmm...at that price and that performance Lockhart would actually make some strategic sense. Should still be focused primarily as a streaming solution but $199 (at bulk for big discounts on it plus the costs added for casing, controller etc I figure a BOM could be reached to MSRP at $199) is the much preferred price point for that type of option.

Feel like 'ya gotta clarify what "worldwide" means in this context. If it's market-by-market, yes that's true for many of the global markets, especially in places where 360 was virtually nonexistent.

If you mean in terms of raw numbers, then no that's not quite true. 360's numbers were so damn strong in US and UK that they helped it keep a bit ahead of PS3 for most of that generation, in terms of raw sales. Granted it had a year head start and maybe if you launch-align things look a bit differently (I wouldn't know), but this is just going off of what actually happened with no adjustments.

I think people are forgetting just how dominant 360 was in those two markets throughout the '06-'11 period, it was pretty dang impressive.

I'm speaking literally ppl checking and conversating about world wide sales monthly, head to head when all tht data was available with sales by region and ps3 was still outselling 360 at its price point every single month since launch at hundreds more. Only time tht wouldn't happen was in like December with the crazy holiday deals. Only place 360 was dominating was in USA and a few other countries in Europe. I remember this vividly and would keep up with the stats. There is no disputing tht it was still selling more in total sales monthly.

That's neither here nor there. There's age old threads on tht info.

Last edited:

xPikYx

What the hell of a name is that?
Senua's 2 is much more encouraging, graphicwise is true next gen, nothing to see with halo infinite

McHuj

Did not expect to actually see the box tonight. This is better than an announcement of an annoucnement.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

LordOfChaos

Holy TDP batman, huh? Did not expect that form factor.

Holy TDP batman, huh? Did not expect that form factor.

I AM SO HYPEDDDDDDDDDDD 14 TFLOPS BABY LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom