• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowhat

Microsoft drawfs Sony... one Microsoft game has more active users than Sonys total user base ( non active)
1129391850.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

Nope:

We also had plenty of 2GB lowballers back in 2011:

Console R&D involves designing plenty of early prototypes (it's a constant iteration process), so getting fixated on low specs means nothing... history has proven this again and again.

Those are rumour articles to be fair. Below is from GG's own post-mortem presentation:

wx7XRap.png

Sure GG would no doubt have had the PC-based dev kits with the 2.2GB GPU but surely the game was being designed knowing there would be the 8GB unified kit coming? And on the 20th February 2013 that demo ran on that dev kit?

Aceofspades

Banned
“They cant win”
Microsoft windows (Direct X ) steam 110 million
Microsoft windows (Direct X ) Epic game store 110 million
Microsoft Minecraft 110 million active users
Microsoft Xbox xbox 44 million
Sony ps4 95 million

Microsoft windows 10 700 million

Microsoft has already won.

I love how you lowballed PS4 number to lower than 100m despite Sony reaching 100m 6 months ago. And 44m for X1 LOL

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nope but they can't be humiliated again like last time. I say gamepass, lockheart if done right and the new studios(oblivion,second playground,initiative) are the things can get them closer to Sony. They can't win Sony has EU wrapped already to much mindshare.

Yeah I hear you guys. There's a few things thy could do to get me back in the eco system. Mainly on the software side because honestly if it's weaker than ps5 idc I just want them to come out with some new dope ips and a bad ass new Fable.

Last edited:
Those are rumour articles to be fair. Below is from GG's own post-mortem presentation:

wx7XRap.png

Sure GG would no doubt have had the PC-based dev kits with the 2.2GB GPU but surely the game was being designed knowing there would be the 8GB unified kit coming? And on the 20th February 2013 that demo ran on that dev kit?
So you're saying Sony was aiming for 8GB all along?

Then who's to say they haven't aimed for 24-32GB this time around?

So you're saying Sony was aiming for 8GB all along?

Then who's to say they haven't aimed for 24-32GB this time around?

I certainly think they designed the system in such a way they could do it! Not to mention the Xbox One was always going for 8GB (albeit slower) RAM and I can't see how devs would have put up with that headache.

While 32GB is even less likely than 8GB was for PS4, I still wouldn't rule it out completely. 24GB realistically would mean a 384-bit bus which would increase die size etc?

I certainly think they designed the system in such a way they could do it! Not to mention the Xbox One was always going for 8GB (albeit slower) RAM and I can't see how devs would have put up with that headache.

While 32GB is even less likely than 8GB was for PS4, I still wouldn't rule it out completely. 24GB realistically would mean a 384-bit bus which would increase die size etc?
It didn't seem to increase the XB1X APU die size that much and mind you, that's on 16nm FinFET, not 7nm. In fact, XB1X has a slightly smaller APU than OG XB1 (256-bit DDR3).

It didn't seem to increase the XB1X APU die size that much and mind you, that's on 16nm FinFET, not 7nm. In fact, XB1X has a slightly smaller APU than OG XB1 (256-bit DDR3).

That isn't a fair apple to apples comparison though. If you had two otherwise identical 7nm chips one with a 384-bit bus and the other a 256-bit bus then the latter would be a smaller die, use less power and be easier to shrink as I understand things?

Audiophile

If it's just 16GB, I expect it all to be dedicated to games and for there to be an additional ~4GB pool for the OS.

My only concern going forward is RAM and Bandwidth..

An SSD will help, but I don't suspect it'll help enough in this particular aspect.

In regards to what's needed, I see a lot of assumptions being based on current gen games running on current gen hardware or scaled up to top-end PCs. True, next-gen only games will be another kettle of fish, especially with RT.

I'm certainly not disputing it'll be more pricey, but it doesn't change the possibility of it being this gen's bottleneck.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Yeah I hear you guys. There's a few things thy could do to get me back in the eco system. Mainly on the software side because honestly if it's weaker than ps5 idc I just want them to come out with some new dope ips and a bad ass new Fable.

Can't believe we went an entire generation without treking and bashing around Albion.

onQ123

Someone posted a rumor that Lockhart is 48CUs

48 is 4 x Xbox One GPU

to get 4TF out of 48CUs the GPU would have to be clocked lower than Xbox One GPU ,

Probably fake but a MCM GPU would have a low clock speed.

That would be useful for streaming Xbox One games to multiply devices from one chip on the sever side

That isn't a fair apple to apples comparison though. If you had two otherwise identical 7nm chips one with a 384-bit bus and the other a 256-bit bus then the latter would be a smaller die, use less power and be easier to shrink as I understand things?
I honestly don't understand your argument.

Jaguar at 7nm would require far less transistors/die size than Zen 2 at 7nm. Should we go with Jaguar and cram more GPU ALUs? You can use this kind of logic for basically everything...

If anything, XB1X at $499 established the fact that you can have 384-bit bus (vs 256-bit at $399) and vapor chamber cooling. Don't settle for less than that.

Also: https://n4g.com/news/1291403/ps4-sony-earlier-thought-about-slow-gddr5-edram-1088gb-s

Sony didn't go with a cheap 128-bit bus, even though they could. The historical trend is to go higher (PS3/XBOX 360 had 128-bit GDDR3, PS4/XB1 went with 256-bit and the next logical step is 384-bit).

ps: Lockhart can stay at 192-bit, since it's meant to be a 1080p console.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You are correct that is why I would be cutting ram first for cost. They absolutely need the SSD that can't go same with the good cooling. Its cutting TF and die space from the GPU or ram. At this point I see ram having less return. Give me a couple tf and more other gpu goodness over 8 more gigs of ram. These consoles got last a long time. They are not going beyond 4k. They can trim up the OS get usable closer to 14gigs for games.

PocoJoe

Banned
They can't do that. First impressions matter, and Sony isn't going to give stickershock to casuals. Doesn't matter that the price dtops later, the first announcement can't be too expensive.

it's why casuals still believe Xbox One is more expensive than PS4, when it hadn't been true in years. The "impression" at launch was that it was more expensive, and that stays even though it had since changed.

They dont need "first impression", they have been dominating console market since ps1 (maybe had a tie with 360), outside of US PlayStation is almost a synonym for gaming.

499 will sell if specs are good, casuals will get caught into "gamers" hype and pretty graphics always sells.

I honestly don't understand your argument.

I'm simply saying it is unlikely Sony would go for 24GB as it would likely mean a 384-bit bus that they didn't go for with Pro or PS4 presumably for costs, die size (it would use more space than a 256-bit bus) and more effective shrink. They could do a 384-bit bus as Microsoft did, but the Gonzalo/Oberon/Flute leaks point to a small, narrow and fast design on a 256-bit bus.

At least the reveals are now really close and this long 2.5 years of speculation is nearly over!

xPikYx

What I mean is that anything past the 12TF threshold is going to perform like the monster eater they claimed. They will be safe from the kinds of scrutiny they endured in 2013 over their poor engineering choices.
I really don't think 12TF is gonna eat any monster of a kind... Lol, moreover after that Halo infinite trailer (quite disappointing)

They dont need "first impression", they have been dominating console market since ps1 (maybe had a tie with 360), outside of US PlayStation is almost a synonym for gaming.

499 will sell if specs are good, casuals will get caught into "gamers" hype and pretty graphics always sells.
That's what Krazy Ken thought when PS2 was ruling the world, so he released PS3 and The Cell...

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's what Krazy Ken thought when PS2 was ruling the world, so he released PS3 and The Cell...

And your point is what? Ps3 upon its release costing hundreds more, with inferior multiplats and tht big online outage still outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month. What hurt Sony was the high cost and loss on each ps3 sold.

And your point is what? Ps3 upon its release costing hundreds more, with inferior multiplats and tht big online outage still outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month. What hurt Sony was the high cost and loss on each ps3 sold.
My point is that you said Sony can do whatever they want because they are on top. Which is a silly thing to say because that means you admit it is a bad idea, because if it was a good idea you wouldn't have brought it up.

Gamernyc78

Banned
My point is that you said Sony can do whatever they want because they are on top. Which is a silly thing to say because that means you admit it is a bad idea, because if it was a good idea you wouldn't have brought it up.

I didn't say anything, I'm not the person tht made the initial comment you responded to. The context of the original comment was that Sony mindshare is to strong and they'll sell regardless and I pointed that out and reinforced the initial posters comment with my example that that is very true given the fact tht ps3 still sold well even with its drawbacks 🤔

xPikYx

Keep in mind that title is also supporting Xbox One.
I know that for sure, but still when you launch a new gen of console and games after 7 (SEVEN) years, what you want to see is something getting your eyes out of the orbits and yor jaw down to the floor, and this didn't happen. So, No! It's not gonna eat any monsters. And roumors confirm that, with those ridicoulus numbers of RAM (16GB? For the next 7 years? Seriously?) and CU, and TF. Plus they are getting out now with this stupid Lockhart project, unless is a portable device, or a Nintendo competor, is nothing but ditching down the next gen of titles and smartly justify very unappealing console specs

xPikYx

If I may, I would suggest to stop comparing RDNA2 arch with the first iteration, would be the case if next gen was based on this last one

A Sony PS5 game... Alright

But wasnt Ghost of Tsushima supposed tô bê shown in a Full gameplay trailer Tonight ?

Maybe its Just Ghost of Tssushima oficially shown running on PS5 for the First time ever

Os: Very unlikely since Sony wouldnt be dumb enogh to show any cross gen as a sample of PS5 potence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom