• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedtrain

Are you saying it's not 10 then?

All I've seen was The Verge's Tom Warren took Phil Spencer's comment about being twice as powerful as the X to mean 12Tflops, but a ~10Tflop RDNA part would also be twice as powerful as the X, 12 would be 2.5-3X as powerful.

I'm just curious if Tom knows something, or if he made an extrapolation mistake not knowing the difference between the architectures, he hasn't answered this.

Er, blink once if closer to 10, twice if closer to 12?
The average person doesn’t know what a TF is or the differences in efficiency.
12tf is rdna, why would they bother confusing anyone saying “our new GPU is equivalent to double the power of the x but numerically only 1.x”

What I meant is getting better prices for those, I can imaging that ordering 100m APUs or Rams can net you better pricing than ordering 30m over the lifetime of the console.

That's normal economy of scale..
I know, i even mentioned that extreme case but no, there are so many companys everyone knows the bottom line of prices before they order and launch manifacture , assembly etc...

pawel86ck

Banned
He has a friend in every single game Studio he wants to spread HIS Desires as a support FOR HIS narratives.

I can Tell he already has friend on guerrilla games bc he wants Horizon on PC.

Next time he'll make some frienship at Naughty Dog Studios because he want the Last of us part II on Pc as well.
Not so long time ago people believed he was lying in regards to his work, yet he is verified now (and he sure has a lot on knowledge if people will only read his posts in regards to programming and technical stuff). So I will give him the benefit of a doubt for now and especially when what he wrote in regards to Hellblade 2 makes sense. I only dont get it why he was so sceptical in regards to next gen consoles, because he could very well hear outdated information from his friend and he wasn't considering that.

44alltheway

Are you for real trying to have a rational discussion with Tim Dog?! 🤣
im just trying to see if the only reason he thinks this is because marketing buzz words. if that's the case, I wouldn't put too much focus on it. Microsoft said they also want to be the most "immersive" which could mean anything. Now I don't have full faith in OsirisBlack yet, nothing against him, just find it hard to believe Microsoft would sell two consoles that are weaker.

The average person doesn’t know what a TF is or the differences in efficiency.
12tf is rdna, why would they bother confusing anyone saying “our new GPU is equivalent to double the power of the x but numerically only 1.x”
It goes both ways, how are you so sure that its rdna?
We still have NO proof as for yet.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Osiris "Next box has more than 10 tflops"
Microsoft our machine is 12 tflops.
Neogaf "Shut it osiris you said > 10"
Osiris "Hey the actual console is out in the wild phil doesn't have the devkit and people (besides phil) have it."
Microsoft shows the actual console
Neogaf "You didn't know they were done with the actual console."
Osiris "Hey everyone, new Ghosts of Tsushima stuff looks amazing."
Sony shows new Ghosts of Tsushima stuff
Neogaf "Shut it Osiris you don't know Anything."

aww, You guys .... I love it here.

44alltheway

Osiris "Hey the actual console is out in the wild phil doesn't have the devkit and people (besides phil) have it."

BTW I have nothing against you, I just don't see xbox being the weaker console when they are making two of them. For all I know you could be 100% right, or you could be completely full of shit (what the hell do I know), but it is fun reading your posts!

Thedtrain

Last edited:

R600

Banned

Its incredible how you know stuff about PS5 hardware, Xbox hardware, 1st party software, what Phil takes home from work, GTAVI...all after the fact obviously.

psorcerer

Banned
Are you saying it's not 10 then?

All I've seen was The Verge's Tom Warren took Phil Spencer's comment about being twice as powerful as the X to mean 12Tflops, but a ~10Tflop RDNA part would also be twice as powerful as the X, 12 would be 2.5-3X as powerful.

I'm just curious if Tom knows something, or if he made an extrapolation mistake not knowing the difference between the architectures, he hasn't answered this.

Er, blink once if closer to 10, twice if closer to 12?

I'm not sure wtf is everybody talking about.
There is only one type of TF, arch doesn't matter. TF is a theoretical peak performance. Everybody seems to confuse it with some practical benchmarks and IPC improvements. Better IPC means nothing for the TF number. Better IPC means your hardware sucks less and is closer to the theoretical max. But the theoretical max is still the max.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
BTW I have nothing against you, I just don't see xbox being the weaker console when they are making two of them. For all I know you could be 100% right, or you could be completely full of shit (what the hell do I know), but it is fun reading your posts!
I do Sony has a lot more riding on their games division. They need that games division to be a money maker. Having top hardware will only help keep the crown and extend the generation making it more profitable. MS is not giving phil a blank check to win a war. A decade ago he might of gotten one but not anymore.

“Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console.”
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Why is this so hard?
Ill ask the same question, why is it so hard to understand that :
Everybody knows next gen is rdna, what we are discussing and not sure about is the TF count being 12Tf (nothing official yet), then we still dont know if its Rdna TF count or Gcn TF count, you know the reason i quoted you is it goes both ways to not confuse the consumer about Tf count.

Bryank75

Banned

I do appreciate your contributions here. The reactions to your posts are priceless!

nowhat

Pretty sure they are talking about fp16 when they say it's 4X the power of Xbox One X

aP0qrIP.gif

If you don't give us detailed specs, I won't believe you :messenger_sunglasses:

:messenger_winking_tongue:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Pretty sure they are talking about fp16 when they say it's 4X the power of Xbox One X

No they are talking about the CPU. The zen stomps on the jaguar. 4 times the CPU and twice the GPU.

"It's not all about GPU power alone--as expected, the Series X beefs up the CPU. Spencer explained, "On the CPU side, which is [something] we really wanted to push relative to previous generations, we have four times the compute power on the CPU in Project Scarlett."

44alltheway

I do Sony has a lot more riding on their games division. They need that games division to be a money maker. Having top hardware will only help keep the crown and extend the generation making it more profitable. MS is not giving phil a blank check to win a war. A decade ago he might of gotten one but not anymore.
How do you know Phil is getting a "blank check"? The same argument could be said for the playstation division, as its the only consistent positive division for Sony (compared to its music, tv, or movie divisions etc.). You could say Sony in theory is giving Cerny a blank check make the most powerful console. Either way, there is no way we would know that. I think people make up these story-lines as to why which console needs to be more powerful. Sure, Microsoft is saying its their most powerful console, but just because Sony isn't responding doesn't mean they aren't going to be. Sony is going to talk about their console when they are ready.

LordOfChaos

I'm not sure wtf is everybody talking about.
There is only one type of TF, arch doesn't matter. TF is a theoretical peak performance. Everybody seems to confuse it with some practical benchmarks and IPC improvements. Better IPC means nothing for the TF number. Better IPC means your hardware sucks less and is closer to the theoretical max. But the theoretical max is still the max.

I think we're agreeing, but to be clear that's my point too. I think 12Tflops has only been wrongly assumed from Phil saying it was twice as powerful, because it could be twice as powerful with less than 12 paper Tflops due to the architecture improvement.

Not even that it's NOT around 12, but people have jumped on this as truth too fast and The Verge was being a bit irresponsible putting a number to Phils estimate without accounting for the architecture differences.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I think we're agreeing, but to be clear that's my point too. I think 12Tflops has only been wrongly assumed from Phil saying it was twice as powerful, because it could be twice as powerful with less than 12 paper Tflops due to the architecture improvement.

Not even that it's NOT around 12, but people have jumped on this as truth too fast and The Verge was being a bit irresponsible putting a number to Phils estimate without accounting for the architecture differences.

None of the ‘insiders’ are saying otherwise, even kleegamfan is doubling down on it being 12TF RDNA.

onQ123

Osiris PS5 is 12.9TF

Sony PS5 is 14.7TF

Neogaf "OMG Osiris lied"

Man no offense, but STFU. You're coming off way too butthurt about speculation. I wonder what'd happen to you if PS5 really had more TFs. Why do you care so much? If you're positive your special beloved box is at 12TF, you should be happy. A TF or 2 won't make that much of a difference. Well maybe a little but not something to be so butthurt about.

So please calm your manboobs.

They Will prophesizing about The Cloud closing the gap onde again.

Oh dear, 2013 was too funny lmao

Bluewave

Banned
What a shit forum!!
i understand why Xbox fans hated this so much.
it's just our preference.
this assholes just want the Xbox to be vanish from gaming but Microsoft responded with powerful console with hardware Raytracing support and Next generation Rdna architecture.and with gamepass and punch of new studios.
in your face bitches.

So here's a more up to date spec sheet (based solely on rumors, of course)

Code:
                     PS5                   XBSX
CPU:        8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.2Ghz  |  8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.6Ghz
GPU:            13.4TF RDNA 2.0  |  12TF RDNA 2.0
Storage:    1TB? SSD NVMe 4GB/s  |  1TB? SSD NVMe 2GB/s?
RAM:          16GB?/24GB? GDDR6  |  16GB? GDDR6

If this turns out to be true at least regarding CPU and GPU, it would mean a slight framerate advantage for XBSX and a slight graphics advantage for PS5. Pretty much unnoticeable imo.

Last edited:

Primordialform

Neo Member
We're getting powerful hardware right out the gate this time. Reminiscent of PS360 days. I think the way things went this gen made everyone forget how things can actually be.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Pushing 12tf. The more the system can use for games the better.

Pro would have been alot more capable if it wasn't limited to 215gb/s on the ram side.
Not a apples to apples the pro tried to upping the resolution with almost no ram upgrade. Even at 16 gigs it be 5 to 13 from base to new systems. With production costs assets are not going to get a lot better. I see ram as the least bang for the buck. Go past 16 you either increase die space for wide bus and probably cut CUs or other GPU goodies. Also add cost down the road makes node shrinks much harder. Or you go to 32 gigs and cut out the SSD and silent cooling. Developers are clever they can more easily work around limited ram than limited raw GPU power or no guaranteed SSD to stream assets.

-kb-

Im not 100% on the RAM being >16GB. It would be nice, but with the SSDs I fill like you might be able to get away with caching a lot less data in the RAM and so the amount of memory would be more effective then 16GB paired with a mechanical drive.

Unfortunetly, some of us under contract, so we can only give small hints

Give hints then?

Here's the latest take:
So here's a more up to date spec sheet (based solely on rumors, of course)

Code:
                     PS5                   XBSX
CPU:        8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.2Ghz  |  8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.6Ghz
GPU:            13.4TF RDNA 2.0  |  12TF RDNA 2.0
Storage:    1TB? SSD NVMe 4GB/s  |  1TB? SSD NVMe 2GB/s?
RAM:          16GB?/24GB? GDDR6  |  16GB? GDDR6

If this turns out to be true at least regarding CPU and GPU, it would mean a slight framerate advantage for XBSX and a slight graphics advantage for PS5. Pretty much unnoticeable imo.

13GB of GDDR6 promised to developers? Granted that from xbox one x, it is GDDR6 and higher bandwidth, but its only 4GB more than the 9GB available on One X. That's not a lot. Yes I know the SSD virtual RAM will help, but seriously, you need to have at least 16GB available for games.

OsirisBlack

Which one is the PS5 GPU FLOPs

According to the rumors about PS5 being slightly more powerful than Scarlett as XBO S is than XBO, I would say 12.9.

Also, I was reading old threads and I found this guy almost nailing PS5s launch date and expected graphical power:

Last edited:
Again if Sony said it , it would hold water with you guys. Xbox is clearly confident. You wanna pretend everyday and make up stuff. All on you. Like when Orisis was talking about blue pill red pill and 5.5 tflop. How isnt be banned after all that bullshit

If Sony said "We have built the most Powerfful PlayStation ever" it would fucking the same because the statement ia objectively the same as It only compared thie
Its incredible how you know stuff about PS5 hardware, Xbox hardware, 1st party software, what Phil takes home from work, GTAVI...all after the fact obviously.

"Ghost of Tssushima still looks amazing"

I mean is this considered any leaked info ?
Anyone could say that. Its Just an opinione that is very likely to be true

You guys should start give some confidence on real insiders who leak concrete and objective infos, not vague subjective opinion based on nothing.

Just remember the date 13.02.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom