• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

IMO, regardless of Tera flops neither Xbox nor PS will run every future title in native 4K 60 fps. They will be around 30 fps.

I’m still not sure on this. Framerate is largely attributed to the CPU and won’t impact the GPU which drives for resolution. It shouldn’t be a one or the other scenario.

-kb-

I’m still not sure on this. Framerate is largely attributed to the CPU and won’t impact the GPU which drives for resolution. It shouldn’t be a one or the other scenario.

framerate is largely attributed to whatever is a bottleneck for a game. That changes depending on the game, it could be the GPU, the CPU, bandwidth,diskspeed,etc. there is no set in stone CPU for frames and GPU for resolution rule.

bitbydeath

framerate is largely attributed to whatever is a bottleneck for a game. That changes depending on the game, it could be the GPU, the CPU, bandwidth,diskspeed,etc. there is no set in stone CPU for frames and GPU for resolution rule.

Yes but with the CPU massively increasing where else could they apply it too? I know, improved AI, some environmental things like moving leaves etc but it’s still going to have a lot left over that can be used on framerate.

onQ123

Except the 2014 rumor article about ReRAM in the ps5, you are the very first person I've read who speculated about ReRAM in the PS5. Do you know something? (i accept vague answers)

You actually inspired me to data mine about ReRAM and luckily saw that 8 hour long video of the Persistent Memory Summit where Amigo Tsushui did a presentation.

I don't know anything beyond my own hopes & dreams , but I was reading about that stuff years ago .

Just like double rate fp16 in big GPU's I just read about it enough to know that it was going to happen & it just so happen that PS4 Pro was the 1st powerful GPU to use it.

ReRAM and other memory/storage tech like it will soon be used in many devices & most likely become part of GPUs / APUs & so on .

It making it into PS5 depends on if Sony feel that it's worth it right now to put it in the PS5.

I think that it will be worth it for them for ML, Ray-Tracing , 8K video streaming , streaming games from the console to other devices & more stuff that I can't think of right now & on the flip side they could use PS5 as a demo for ReRAM while mass producing it to bring the price down to get ahead in the Storage Class Memory market.

I don't know anything beyond my own hopes & dreams , but I was reading about that stuff years ago .

Cool. I wasn't really serious though.

It making it into PS5 depends on if Sony feel that it's worth it right now to put it in the PS5.

What do you think about STT-MRAM? Sony is already mass producing this kind of memory for Avalanche. It's supposed to be as fast as SRAM but has lower voltage requirements and higher in density. Wouldn't MRAM be a good L4 Cache?

I think that it will be worth it for them for ML, Ray-Tracing

A game dev from B3D (thru PM) told me that ReRAM is actually still too slow to store BVH in real-time. So he doesn't see ReRAM helping in RT. But suggested HBM for RT because of latency penalty with GDDR6.

TeamGhobad

Banned
can this guy be trusted?

UQG65rE.png

its crazy to think 12 tflops of rdna right?

Venom Snake

Deal. I only bet you for 3 days though since you just created your account and have no idea if you'll even be around here by the time this info is revealed.
No no no- safe for you, not me :messenger_winking: I also don't believe in 12TF to be honest. I prefer to keep my expectations low.
But 8-9tf is a little lower than 5700xt, which barely qualifies as a 4k gpu for the current generation.
We need more headroom, 10-11TF is a must.

molly14

Both boxes if they are around 12tf should mean amazing games on both machines.

Looking forward to real-time day and night cycles and real-time weather in both GT and FORZA at 4k/60,cant imagine how impressive they will both look,going to order both consoles,as racing games are my fav type of game.

psorcerer

Banned
No. He was just suggesting hbm as something that will help RT as opposed to ReRam because that thing is still slow for RT.

There is no point in using any flash-like ram for writes. I have no idea why people think it could be viable.
You have a lot of crap that's read-only and perfectly cache-able that's where it can be used.

THE:MILKMAN

CPU was rumoured at first to be 3.5GHz for XSX then said to have been bumped to 3.6GHz. Previous to all this I expected 3.2GHz max for both consoles so if one ends up being 3.4GHz and the other 3.6GHz then it is a win, win.

Tell you something though, these consoles will be pushing >250W at the wall. :pie_open_mouth:

You have a lot of crap that's read-only and perfectly cache-able that's where it can be used.

Megatextures everywhere? He was telling me about more varied textures, less re-used and less repeated textures. He also suggested submillimeter textures everywhere because you can store 10x more data. CPU could uncompress insane details to ReRam so it is available quickly, e.g. when player turns view. But the problem he said would be content creation and games ballooning in size. Blu-ray disc is only 100gb in capacity and I doubt gamers are ready to download 500gb-size games.

It'll sure help make "loading times a thing of the past" though.

Last edited:

He is not a journalist or an insider, he sometimes has information, but they are very random. He has a lot of misrepresentations and just speculation, he actually knows nothing. He was wrong many, many times. Do not drag from this fool here any information before he says where his 100% promised at E3 2019 Hellblade 0, Batman Legacy, new Fear, etc.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
So is no one gonna talk about how accurate this leak was??!

This leak mention xbox series x few days before official reveal, that's correct name, so it should be obvious other informations are also correct, yet people still thinking these TFLOPS numbers (4TF for lockhart and 12TF for xbox SX) are not Navi.

Like I have already explained in details, numbers will not add up if we consider Phil was talling about general performance. People simply forogot xbox x was already using way more efficient architecture than xbox one, so scaling from xbox one to xbox x isnt linear performance wise, and will give 2 different number and performance levels, therefore Phil couldnt talk about game performance. Phil always talk about TFLOPS, and he even hinted he was talking about TFLOPS

"When we do the math"

You can only do that with TFLOPS, not with architecture efficiencies.

So yes, team 8TF already lost. Digital Foundry fight to the last breath only because of damage control. They were clueless for this entire time and they will not admit it now.

psorcerer

Banned
Megatextures everywhere? He was telling me about more varied textures, less re-used and less repeated textures. He also suggested submillimeter textures everywhere because you can store 10x more data. CPU could uncompress insane details to ReRam so it is available quickly, e.g. when player turns view. But the problem he said would be content creation and games ballooning in size. Blu-ray disc is only 100gb in capacity and I doubt gamers are ready to download 500gb-size games.

It'll sure help make "loading times a thing of the past" though.

Yep. PRT (aka megatextures), high poly landscapes, more animations, better LoD switches.

Yep. PRT (aka megatextures), high poly landscapes, more animations, better LoD switches.

You're my hero. This is the game-changer I'm looking for. TF war to me is boring. They're very close to each other anyway.

Now the question is, do you see Sony putting it in the PS5?

(please say yes)

Last edited:

Mass Shift

can you explain it to me a bit? what does it mean?

if you click on the Tweet you can see the full picture. There's a Navi 21 Lite. And this would to certain extent support some (Not all) of the assertions that PS5 and/or Series X are using an RDNA2 gpu.

RDNA 2 being the next level of AMD's architecture. Finding support or an engineering sample for Navi 21 before the next gen consoles get official is very interesting to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom