• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

I have to ask....why is the 2 in brackets and how does it relate to a PlayStation Meeting? That can't be in the NDA!?

I think he's just saying PlayStation Meeting 2, whereas #1 was the one for the PS4.

To any of the insiders posting in this thread, is anyone at all willing to comment on the subject of ReRAM in the PS5?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The XSX is 432 cubic inches³
The 1X is 263 cubic inches.

Theres a reason why the XSX has more space.
My guess is 48 - 52cus @ 1600-1700mhz.

We have to remember the SoC also has a 8core Zen2 which will be putting out some heat too.
Even an SOC with a 8 core zen2 + a 5700xt would need a rather serious cooling system

If designed like this with a huge heatsink and fan, 52,56cus @ 1600-1800mhs is possible.
Makes you wonder why this design has not be done before.

f282f91327921762.png

THE:MILKMAN

We have to remember the SoC also has a 8core Zen2 which will be putting out some heat too.
Even an SOC with a 8 core zen2 + a 5700xt would need a rather serious cooling system

If designed like this with a huge heatsink and fan, 52,56cus @ 1600-1800mhs is possible.

f282f91327921762.png

That's interesting but wouldn't it mean a motherboard less than 6 inches square? I can't see how all components could fit looking at the One X motherboard?

Could it be split into two boards?

Andodalf

Banned

I don't think it has a nearly as expensive cooling solution, meaning it needs to be larger to accommodate a similar thermal envelope

Sosokrates

That's interesting but wouldn't it mean a motherboard less than 6 inches square? I can't see how all components could fit looking at the One X motherboard?

Could it be split into two boards?

I think it will have to be split in multiple boards, because regardless of where the mother board is its going to be smaller then what's in a ps4/1x style box.

The motherboard could be bigger like this.

5d10071327922956.png

Stuart360

Dont Xbox usually have good sales in November and December?. I wonder how much officially announcing Series X will have on sales this holiday.

EDIT. I suppose the announcement was long enough into December that anyone who was buying a XB1 for Christmas probably already bought it.

Last edited:

McHuj

Let's go back to what we actually know - no rumors here:

Xbox Series X:
- Has a NAVI 2.0 based GPU (HW RT), double the XBox One X performance;

PlayStation 5:
- Has a NAVI 2.0 based GPU (HW RT), unknown performance;

That's about it.

I don't know if we can confidently say that. AMD hasn't said what Navi 2.0 (Or RDNA 2.0) actually is. I hope that happens at CES.

I think we can safely say that both are beyond NAVI 1.0. We don't even know if they have the same RT HW solution. There were rumors that they are different.

No just pure speculation, I think MS may have something that is close to RDNA 2.0 while Sony may have some custom solutions that will only show up in their console and never make it to PC components.

Haha, Memory on Substrate. Super complex chip using 3D stacking. HBM? Maybe or maybe not? Who knows ;))

I'm treating what you say here as your speculation just to be safe. (My hype are so damn high right now.)

Anyway, what are your thoughts about STT-MRAM? Sony is already mass producing that kind of memory for a company called Avalanche. I also read Intel is planning to put L4 cache using MRAM in their CPUs. Isn't STT-MRAM a good candidate for L4 cache?

Sosokrates

Series X is probably going to be one of the better un- boxing experiences we have.

All xbox consoles have this gen,

PS4 consoles use plain cardboard packaging.
I don't mind as its only packaging, as longs as it protects the products that is the most important aspect.
But nice packaging is a nice touch, makes the unboxing experience more special.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forget about HBM2 or RERAM. Not happening.

Doesn't matter. Sony is going to clap real fucking loud with their specs. They will match the sexbox and exceed them with what they got cooking up with regards to the SSD
They do that every generation.

PS2 was promoted with an Nvidia 2.5TF RSX. Ya, 2.5TF.

And PS3 was 1080p at 120 fps.

Look how that turned out.

Sosokrates

He has been verified by zhugeex who is also a very very realiable source for leaks a while back

This klee (really name Kelly rickards) worked at gamefan magazine in the mid to late 90s then left there to work at EGM magazine, until 2004.
But he says he has kept in touch with his contacts in the industry.
I do wonder how trusted a magazine writer who left the industry 15yrs ago, can be.
His source who he claims is a dev must really like him to give him info that he then passes onto a Internet forum, seems a bit fishy, but you never know, his info could be genuine.

Last edited:

44alltheway

This klee (really name Kelly rickards) worked at gamefan magazine in the mid to late 90s then left there to work at EGM magazine, until 2004.
I do wonder how trusted a magazine writer who left the industry 15yrs ago, can be.
His source who he claims is a dev must really like him to give him info that he then passes onto a Internet forum, seems a bit fishy, but you never know, his info could be genuine.
def more trusted than any of the insiders here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Someone working at GF can't be trusted.

I used to buy that mag in the 90s from somewhere around 1994-1996 when PS1 and Saturn were the rage.

I think just about every game in that mag got a review score of 75% or more. And I thought Game Informer was bad with skewed reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom