• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethbacca

Actually it was closer to 3 seconds if you time it properly, the animation transition is part of the load time. So 15 seconds vs 3 seconds.

Funny thing Xbox Series X has demonstrated something similar.

The problem here is that you're assuming the animation is masking the loading time rather than simply matching the aesthetics of the source for the remaster. That's a fairly large assumption to make. You may be right, but frankly it's more likely the animation is there for the aesthetics and to prevent a jarring instant transition more than any other reason.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm really waffling between which system I want and I'm hoping I can get some help here. Looking for blunt facts, not fanboy stuff.

I can't decide on an x or a ps5. The ps5 has easily my most wanted game (Demon's souls) but other than that I'm not sure what else I'd get it for. I don't care about spider man, or any of the other launch games and still have a huge PS4 backlog. I have plus and now for almost another year each as well if that matters. Also, the PS4 is god awful ugly but that really isn't a huge factor. I really really like Bethesda games so that's an issue. Really like the PS4 controller too.

Xbox on the other hand would be entirely new to me. I'd buy the financed version as it is cheaper to do that up here in Canada. I'd get loads of games I never played as I have never owned an Xbox. Don't really like the Xbox controller either. The Bethesda games are like great also as I have said.

BC is actually pretty important to me and ms seems to be ahead of the curve on this.

Money is not an issue in this discussion but I really only have the time to play one.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Im leaning ps5 only for Demon's souls but with the lack of information from Sony I'm kinda unsure.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Hi
Fduznjt.png

reksveks

Actually it was closer to 3 seconds if you time it properly, the animation transition is part of the load time. So 15 seconds vs 3 seconds.

I was just about to ask what was the ps3 loading time so cheers for that. Think Microsoft lack of first party games where they could really highlight the new features of next gen might hurt the perception of the console even if 3rd party games run slightly better.

Sethbacca

I'm really waffling between which system I want and I'm hoping I can get some help here. Looking for blunt facts, not fanboy stuff.

I can't decide on an x or a ps5. The ps5 has easily my most wanted game (Demon's souls) but other than that I'm not sure what else I'd get it for. I don't care about spider man, or any of the other launch games and still have a huge PS4 backlog. I have plus and now for almost another year each as well if that matters. Also, the PS4 is god awful ugly but that really isn't a huge factor. I really really like Bethesda games so that's an issue. Really like the PS4 controller too.

Xbox on the other hand would be entirely new to me. I'd buy the financed version as it is cheaper to do that up here in Canada. I'd get loads of games I never played as I have never owned an Xbox. Don't really like the Xbox controller either. The Bethesda games are like great also as I have said.

BC is actually pretty important to me and ms seems to be ahead of the curve on this.

Money is not an issue in this discussion but I really only have the time to play one.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Im leaning ps5 only for Demon's souls but with the lack of information from Sony I'm kinda unsure.

I mean, if you've got a huge PS4 backlog and only time to play one, it makes sense to stay in the same ecosystem and you can play your backlog with better image quality. It sounds like X would only be worthwhile if there are exclusives over there that you want, or gamepass is your thing.

jimbojim

Banned
He was just saying up to this point it has been spotty, this is going to change once next gen is fully underway as we now have consoles with hardware rtx supported platforms so it will evolve and mature and eventually the sweet spot will be found and that will be a level of performance we can expect until a mid gen refresh or next gen hits. Nothing wrong with what he said or how he said it.

Of course he will said that. He plays old games all the time. Looks like also he was dissapointed with RT in Forza trailer :D

Great Hair

Banned
???

Xbox Series X won’t push 8K, ray-tracing has failed to deliver admits Xbox boss

Microsoft: Xbox Series X Performance Is 25+ TFLOPs when Ray Tracing; I/O Rate Equal to 13 Zen 2 Cores
7 months ago

Xbox Head Says Next-Gen Exclusives are ‘Completely Counter to What Gaming is About,’

Phil Spencer reiterates he does not like console exclusive content

Xbox chief Phil Spencer promises no Xbox Series X exclusives for a 'couple of years'

july 2020

Microsoft to Buy Bethesda for $7.5 Billion to Boost Xbox

MarkMe2525

Looking for blunt facts, not fanboy stuff. Good luck! :) Buy the console that has the games you want to play and you will be all good. If you're not sold on either console yet, I would wait until one has a compelling reason. A lot of the content that is going to be coming out through the end of the year is going to be crossgen anyways.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I mean, if you've got a huge PS4 backlog and only time to play one, it makes sense to stay in the same ecosystem and you can play your backlog with better image quality. It sounds like X would only be worthwhile if there are exclusives over there that you want, or gamepass is your thing.
That's where I'm thinking too but I'm also thinking the long game. I can just play through the back log on PS4 and lots of those games are on Xbox game pass too... It's almost a wash.

reksveks

Play your backlog on the ps4 for now if you have limited time. I don't think you should buy a 499 console for one game unless you value the other benefits which I do. I have to play so many games that I have missed out on.

If you can get it on all access, xbox might be sensible now that I have seen your backlog seems to nicely match gamepass.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The problem here is that you're assuming the animation is making the loading time rather than simply matching the aesthetics of the source for the remaster. That's a fairly large assumption to make. You may be right, but frankly it's more likely the animation is there for the aesthetics and to prevent a jarring instant transition more than any other reason.
It matches closer to what we have seen from Astros Playroom (3.5 seconds) and Ratchet and Clank (2.5 seconds). Seems like that range appears to be the norm from the 3 examples we have so far.

Is not to complicated buy the console where the games you want to play are, if the money is not an issue you can build a PC more powerfull than XSX
and play even more games without pay online.

Also if you are an earlier adopter be prepared for both console will have some report of issues as any new product have.

Last edited:
Normally we would've been bombarded with Halo Infinite footage and marketing. Now we get all the XSX features. Not sure if that's such a bad thing. Although I would like to see 3rd party games
ya, I praise the Xbox marketing team for that. This pivot is the best thing happened to the team recently. I bet they know showing games is the best way. But they couldn’t yet. again, i think Xbox has done fairly good job at defending the turf under so many challenges. they deserve some fist bumps.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Looking for blunt facts, not fanboy stuff. Good luck! :) Buy the console that has the games you want to play and you will be all good. If you're not sold on either console yet, I would wait until one has a compelling reason. A lot of the content that is going to be coming out through the end of the year is going to be crossgen anyways.
I was thinking about waiting but the wife wants to buy me one for Christmas haha.

MarkMe2525

Xbox's "CEO" for all effects an purposes is quoted downplaying Ray Tracing when it was a selling point. This should raise some ears.
Xbox's "CEO" is also a gamer. I think there is nothing wrong with him being honest with his assessment of the current state of raytracing. I actually find it refreshing. Raytracing does look really cool in certain implementations, but there has been nothing transformative that I have seen as of yet.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

Get the console that your friends play on and the games you most look forward too. That's all that matters at the end of the day

Larryfox

Really depends on how much you want demon souls because from reading what you wrote that’s the only reason for you to get a ps5. You could also play your ps4 backlog of games on ps5, they should run and look better too. I’d probably get a Xbox if I was you and just wait until more exclusives on ps5 that interest you to come out.

Last edited:

Larryfox

Kind of surprised neither Sony or Microsoft made a game around ray tracing to help sell it as a must for next gen. Would’ve loved to see a ratchet and clank style probably smaller in scope

Last edited:
I've tracked ebay.com sales over four days last week.

Each day, I searched for "PS5" and "Xbox Series X", "Item Location: US Only", and auctions only. All the auctions I tracked ended that same day, as I did my searches on "Time: ending soonest".

The PS5's that I tracked, where the disk based version only.

I tracked 10 consoles of each brand each day, that had initial asking price that was in the ballpark of current selling prices. I ignored those with unrealistic high initial/reserve prices.

The reason why I checked US only, is because this is Microsoft's biggest market, and it's home market. I wanted to see how Sony faired in that market, as that is Sony most competitive market to succeed in.

For Sony:
Out of 40 listings, 36 sold, 2 listings removed, with an average of 17 bids per console sold, and at an average price of $884.83.

For MS:
Out of 40 listings, 26 sold, with an average of 12 bids per console sold, and at an average price of $728.19.

Conclusions:
  • Two PS5 listings were removed for unknown reasons. Only 2 consoles in 40 did not meet initial/reserve price vs 14 unsold XSX.
  • PS5 average selling price of $884.83 vs XSX's $728.19.
I have all this data tracked in a spreadsheet with links to every auction listing final sale price, time it ended, and listing number of bids with bid history.

If you see an problem with this, then please let me know. I may do another multiday tracking, but I don't expect the results to be much different. Feel free to do your own tracking based on the above critieria.

I had to cut the spread sheet out. Post over 30000 words.Got damn putting in work!! Which one of the Alphabet boys you work for CIA,FBI, IRS, ATF, or are you international Fed?

Kerlurk

Banned

I had to cut the spread sheet out. Post over 30000 words.Got damn putting in work!! Which one of the Alphabet boys you work for CIA,FBI, IRS, ATF, or are you international Fed?

NOTE TO OTHERS: HAVE TO SCROLL RIGHT TO SEE XSX DATA FOR THOSE NOT LOOKING ON A HIGH ENOUGH RESOLUTION MONITOR AT FULL SCREEN. (Tried to add this text to that post, but 30,000 word limit kept popping up, regardless to how short I made this sentence.)

Thanks! I enjoy data analysis.

That spreadsheet was worked on, then copied over from Google Sheets.

Also should mention, I ignored bundles, and tracked only those auctions that had the base console.

Last edited:

You can't say the animation is part of the loading time if you need to still hold the old assets on memory before being able to load the new ones.

The loading times in the original game are horrendous

Jose92

[Membe

Or you can do like i did Series S for Game Pass and a ps5 for all the playstation exclusives

Dodkrake

Banned
Xbox's "CEO" is also a gamer. I think there is nothing wrong with him being honest with his assessment of the current state of raytracing. I actually find it refreshing. Raytracing does look really cool in certain implementations, but there has been nothing transformative that I have seen as of yet.

It's kind of adorable that you think Phil Spencer is talking as a "gamer". And I'm being honest. Being not that "low" in the corporate world, I can absolutely positively tell you that nobody from a VP level or above will say stuff out of the goodness of their heart. Nobody.

pasterpl

ESRB listings state the Dishonored & Prey: The Arkane Collection along with the Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection are heading to Xbox Series X/S.

The listings dug up by resetera, show both the Dishonored & Prey: The Arkane Collection and Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection are heading to “Xbox Series” consoles.

Dishonored & Prey: The Arkane Collection features four titles: Prey, Dishonored, Dishonored 2, and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider.

Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection also contains four games: Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, and Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

Both collections are already available for PS4 and Xbox One, and the new ESRB listings do not mention whether or not the collections are coming to PS5.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Each day, I searched for "PS5" and "Xbox Series X", "Item Location: US Only", and auctions only. All the auctions I tracked ended that same day, as I did my searches on "Time: ending soonest".

I tracked 10 consoles of each brand each day, that had initial asking price that was in the ballpark of current selling prices. I ignored those with unrealistic high initial/reserve prices.

The reason why I checked US only, is because this is Microsoft's biggest market, and it's home market. I wanted to see how Sony faired in that market, as that is Sony most competitive market to succeed in.

For Sony:
Out of 40 listings, 36 sold, 2 listings removed, with an average of 17 bids per console sold, and at an average price of $884.83.

For MS:
Out of 40 listings, 26 sold, with an average of 12 bids per console sold, and at an average price of $728.19.

Conclusions:
  • Two PS5 listings were removed for unknown reasons. Only 2 consoles in 40 did not meet initial/reserve price vs 14 unsold XSX.
I have all this data tracked in a spreadsheet with links to every auction listing final sale price, time it ended, and listing number of bids with bid history.

If you see an problem with this, then please let me know. I may do another multiday tracking, but I don't expect the results to be much different. Feel free to do your own tracking based on the above critieria.

3unxzw.png

silent head

Both systems should run quiet with excellent heat dissipation.

fanboy FUD :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Y7biRf8.gif

Dan Rubino and Jez Corden - journalists from Windows Central - report that the current version of PS5 has serious problems with overheating. Sony may have to redesign the case and the cooling system. In such a situation the release of the console will probably be delayed by 6-12 months.

pasterpl

For Sony:

For MS:

Conclusions:

thats some commitment, the only ”issue” I would call out is that it is very small sample size, might be too small to draw any realistic conclusions. Still, impressive work.

Y7biRf8.gif

Dan Rubino and Jez Corden - journalists from Windows Central - report that the current version of PS5 has serious problems with overheating. Sony may have to redesign the case and the cooling system. In such a situation the release of the console will probably be delayed by 6-12 months.

Going to throw this out there and take it for what its worth.

When Jez and Dan said this they were 100% correct that at the time the current PS5 DKs were in running very hot and loud and in fact were crashing.

It was around May when the revised DKs got the thermals under control and started running silent and I even shared that fact around that time here on this very thread.

xPikYx

This game even when looks fun to play and use RT the character looks so average in some thing like the face, skin than
in some way looks bad when the camera makes closeups

Current gen game + 4k(upscaled?) + Ray tracing(in an easy form) = next-gen.....................................................

LOL

kyliethicc

For what you've said here, get a PS5. You have PS4 games and PS Plus. You like the PS controller. We know PS5 will have quality exclusives its entire lifespan. Even Bethesda's next 2 games are PS5 exclusives, ironically.

If Xbox ends up having a bunch of quality exclusives you want to play, just wait a few years til they're out, then buy an Xbox, get Game Pass, and play all those games over like 6 months. Then just sell the console after that to make most of the money back, if you want. Or keep it and have both. But don't expect Todd to put out Elder Scrolls 6 til like 2026 lol.

Orky

Banned

I think this is an error. PS5 will come of course.

Y7biRf8.gif

Pure Ownage
tenor.gif

DaGwaphics

When Jez and Dan said this they were 100% correct that at the time the current PS5 DKs were in running very hot and loud and in fact were crashing.

It was around May when the revised DKs got the thermals under control and started running silent and I even shared that fact around that time here on this very thread.

I wish more people would understand that not everyone that mentioned these things was trying to be disingenuous. Didn't Sony have some placeholder version of their silicone, perhaps the chips in those early DKs were more power hungry and hotter than what would be in the final hardware. All we care about is the final product at the end of the day.

Kerlurk

Banned
thats some commitment, the only ”issue” I would call out is that it is very small sample size, might be too small to draw any realistic conclusions. Still, impressive work.

I think the sample size was more than enough.

If I thought the conclusions would have been different with more data, than I would have added more data.

The results are similar day to day, which would lend weight to the sample size being enough.

I would not expect much deviation on the price, if anything, due to PS5 sellers, selling almost every time, the stock of available PS5's would probably go down over time, and thus contributing to upward pressure on the PS5 price (if supported by demand).

I may redo the tracking closer to launch.

If anything, this shows people what initial price you should list for an auction for either console.

Now the biggest unknown known, is quantity available for either console. If MS allocated more consoles to the US over Sony, that could account for the price difference. It's very difficult to judge supply vs demand without knowing the supply.

Average number of bids is a hint of interest/demand, with more bids going in on PS5 listings. Only problem there if more PS5 had lower starting bids, that would then lead to more bidding going in. Someone would have to examine the data to see if that was the case, and that's why I included starting bid price in the data.

With the examination of empirical evidence one must keep an open mind. Results are not so much definitive, but more an indication of a prevailing trend.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

It's kind of adorable that you think Phil Spencer is talking as a "gamer". And I'm being honest. Being not that "low" in the corporate world, I can absolutely positively tell you that nobody from a VP level or above will say stuff out of the goodness of their heart. Nobody.
You can say it as much as you want but that doesn't make it true. Your assessment of his character is more of a reflection on you and what you would do in a position of power, quite sad really. I see Phil logged in playing Xbox all the damn time. You can't tell me he isn't a gamer, and unless you have some super power that allows you to read minds, you are just projecting your misinformed bias. It's adorable :)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
First tests with PS5 reveal the presence of a mysterious nut in the hardware of the console

PS5 is a celebrity, they just report anything even a nut here and turn it into something big.

I heard similar but Sony was never worried. It was understood they were stress testing and heat testing the DKs.

This is normal and expected. Developing a new console is one thing. Getting it to your developers to start developing is another thing where the developers (with zero experience on the new DK) will push it to see what they can actually develop. This is expected and Sony would react accordingly.

Sinthor

Gold Member
This is a dumb take. What is your basis for any of this? Halo was the launch blockbuster but it caught a delay. Gears Tactics is a console launch title as well.

You think maybe we would've heard some news if you're purporting that Turn 10 was getting shut down and then miraculously ramped back up. This is just complete horseshit lol.

Hard to get the PS5 hot with that low CU count and all. Dont worry, infinity cache, a big die space eater like SRAM will surely be on the PS5 since its rumored to be on Big NAVI.

"The alleged AMD Radeon RX 6900 graphics card would therefore feature 16GB GDDR6 256-bit memory paired with Infinity Cache. This, of course, would be the highest SKU in the lineup".

Well, what's your explanation for MS divesting itself of so many studios this past generation? Lionhead ring a bell among others? I'm just saying I don't think they are stupid. And you mention two games, Halo and Gears. Halo infinite was meant for the XB1 and 1X but didn't make it so got switched over. Obvious issues there. What's the explanation for just suddenly buying up a bunch of studios that won't even have games read for another 2-3 years if all goes well? I just don't think Microsoft is incompetent, so I think there's another reason. Why are they reportedly so far behind with the hardware and devkits as well? Did they just 'panic and throw together' plans for the X1X like people love to say about Sony? No....that wouldn't make sense either.

So I haven't seen you present anything that would invalidate what I was suggesting MIGHT be a possibility. Of course, I can't prove it either. Everyone has to admit though, that Microsoft's planning for this coming generation seems to be seriously off. There's gotta be a reason.

I dout anyone gets that high up in a corp. like MS by being honest. They get that high by being political, saying what they think people what to hear, all while sounding honest. That's the trick

Last edited:

Larryfox

for every Sony gafs that doubted jez
clearly joking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom