• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MastaKiiLA

Even if it is easy to put XSX in horizontal position, but surely XSX isn't designed for horizontal like PS5. It's a tower design and as such it's for vertical position and also stand is unremovable
Given that the PS5 fan works in the opposite direction of convection, I get the feeling that it might actually work better in the horizontal position. CPU should be at the bottom, with the heatsinks on top, and exhaust all goes out the back anyway. It would also make for easier placement in my living room, as I can put it in the entertainment bay under my TV.

I don't see much advantage in a vertical orientation, unless someone can correct me.

sandkiller

Red flags are raised when strange demands like those come up. There's no surprise that half of all marriages end in divorce, and within a short period of time. People ignore these red flags all the time. Anyway, it's off-topic. If aesthetics of an electronic device are a point of contention, there is a mountain of friction ahead. That's tip of the iceberg stuff. Proceed with caution.

Not if both are in sync

Reave

It's a joke, xbox put out alot of tweets dismissing the console war crap as well. It really ain't that important.
How it’s intended versus how it’s received are two different things. Of course it’s a joke, but take one skim through of that tweet’s replies and there you go. Another wave of unnecessary butt-hurt “ooh shots fired” console warrior crusading because people don’t know a joke is a joke.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm not so sure MS should be slinging mud here about sideways placement, while the PS5 is massive (had to laugh at the Godzilla picture), at least their machine doesn't look weird on it's side even if it's easier to change, how often would you do that? (even though the series x looks better standing up)

kyliethicc

No one is gonna burn their fingers on these ssds. I guess some idiot could try to touch an expansion on the PS5 when it's on, though, so I take that back.
For the PS5, the M2 SSDs are installed internally. Not sure how someone could try to touch it when its screwed into place inside a bay, which is under a metal cover plate that is also screwed in place, all of which is hidden by the outer white panel.

The Xbox expansion card, on the other hand, is external, and someone could end up trying to hot swap one for another while the one is still hot. But thats their own fault.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I'm not so sure MS should be slinging mud here about sideways placement, while the PS5 is massive (had to laugh at the Godzilla picture), at least their machine doesn't look weird on it's side even if it's easier to change, how often would you do that? (even though the series x looks better standing up)

Not slinging mud here...honestly curious. I thought the XSX had either venting or intakes on the side...is that not correct? Is it all pulled from the back and expelled up top? Obviously one wouldn't want to block ANY venting by how they position the console...

travisktl

It's just them poking fun at Sony, since they did a similar thing to Microsoft about the Xbox One having DRM and not being able to share games with friends.

Sinthor

Gold Member
For the PS5, the M2 SSDs are installed internally. Not sure how someone could try to touch it when its screwed into place inside a bay, which is under a metal cover plate that is also screwed in place, all of which is hidden by the outer white panel.

The Xbox expansion card, on the other hand, is external, and someone could end up trying to hot swap one for another while the one is still hot. But thats their own fault.

REALLY curious now to see a "Sony approved" list of SSD's that will be adequate for expanding that storage. Not sure I'd even try to get one now as opposed to waiting about a year to watch the prices get better, but very curious on what kind and level of additional SSD it will take to maintain performance on the machine.

spartan30gr

Secret Sauce™

D-6Exi.gif
giphy.gif

Handy Fake

If anything it highlights that they didn't really do any design for horizontal orientation. The stand is only of use when vertical and fixed to the bottom, and it makes it look like the machine has fallen over rather than is meant to lie horizontally.
I think going by that that MS has nothing in reserve to counter the teardown. It's an important part of the PS PR and if they had something else up their sleeve they'd have fired it out.

BGs

Industry Professional
No, and it shouldn't be enough to anybody. You being a developer doesn't mean you have access to both consoles nor that you are fair doing comparisons.

Having said that. How come Ms supposedly NDA-ed people to not talk about heat problems but you are able to?

To begin with, I did not say that XSX has overheating problems.

That is not to say that XSX has problems, it simply means that its cooling system does its job well by expelling all the heat it generates internally out.

Where did I say that XSX has problems with heat?

The problem is people who place the console in places where the instruction manual does not allow it. In these cases, and under the same circumstances, you will have more problems with an XSX than with a PS5. And with this I am not discovering America, you just have to take all the existing public information and analyze the ventilation flows.

Regarding the NDA. I have not signed any paper that prohibits me from saying that poorly ventilated electronic devices end up dying sooner than later. And neither did Tom Warren.

EXAMPLES

This console is well ventilated.
Xbox-series-x-generacionxbox.jpg

This not.
6c02ffac5c8ee7c3bf51ad0201b88262.jpg

It is common sense. I don't know where is the doubt.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not slinging mud here...honestly curious. I thought the XSX had either venting or intakes on the side...is that not correct? Is it all pulled from the back and expelled up top? Obviously one wouldn't want to block ANY venting by how they position the console...

I don't think it does, at least on the side you would put on the flat surface with the little feet. Every other side would still be exposed.

Great Hair

Banned
No it's not what are you talking about?
GamePass costs more than Gold/Plus but that's OK.
Plus and Gold are 60 afaik.

Brazil apparently still has the option of buying the 12 months sub. but they increased it by 33% (60+33 = close to $80). But for everyone else, iirc :

XBlive only

per 3 month $24.99 or $100/year
per month $9 or $108/year

Gamepass only
$10/mo or $120 per year

Gamepass + XBlive + xCloud
$15/mo or $180 per year

kyliethicc

REALLY curious now to see a "Sony approved" list of SSD's that will be adequate for expanding that storage. Not sure I'd even try to get one now as opposed to waiting about a year to watch the prices get better, but very curious on what kind and level of additional SSD it will take to maintain performance on the machine.
It'll probably just come down to if the drive can hit 6.5-7 GB/s raw read. Like the Samsung 980 Pro can. Plenty of them will, and the sizes are not gonna be an issue. The bay will fit the 4 most common sizes, and looks big enough to allow for some drives that could have small heatsinks on them. We will have plenty of choices for sizes and price.

Its not so much that the SSDs will need to be "Sony approved" but more like "good enough and fits inside."

Nickolaidas

So we got the teardown, we saw PS5 games, we have price, release dates ...

What we're missing: A) The UI, B) more details on the BC mode of the PS4 games (how many will have boost mode, how many are supported) - and I mean current up-to-date details, not vague snippets from interviews and statements.

Loved the cooling, btw. And if I had known that they even took steps to make the Blu-Ray player silent, I would have gone with the disc version.

EDIT: Love the fact that the second SSD will be completely inside the console and not a UBS-cable connected Toshiba-like drive which will stick like a sore thumb next to my console.

C'MON NINTENDO - SHOW THE SWITCH PRO ALREADY!!

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Please Phil daddy, Mark Cerny papa, gimme the specs

This was my first post.

We got the Xbox Series X specs just hours later on, and the PS5 specs just 2 days later.

And now..

Also 3500 pages is crazy, give us the teardown soon Cerny-san I'll even play Knack again if you want

We got the teardown just hours later. You're all welcome.

Cerny lurks this thread confirmed.

Time to go play, gotta keep my promise.

Rl3mn6M.jpg

Last edited:

Zadom

Given that the PS5 fan works in the opposite direction of convection, I get the feeling that it might actually work better in the horizontal position. CPU should be at the bottom, with the heatsinks on top, and exhaust all goes out the back anyway. It would also make for easier placement in my living room, as I can put it in the entertainment bay under my TV.

I don't see much advantage in a vertical orientation, unless someone can correct me.
I would like to hear geordiemp’s opinion on this. I have always wondered if orientation can effect cooling.

geordiemp

That blower type fan will push air wherever it wants to, its made for pushing air into tubes and ducts with pressure differentials, stable flow no matter.

Axial fans have higher volume in theory, until the air flow starts meeting resistance, they are low pressure fans.

So even if you tried to cover up the exhaust with your hand, that air will still flow and find a way with the blower type..

Last edited:

Razzy-

So Github confirmed, glad to know we aren't actually the Illiuminati. Can't wait to get these next-gen systems and actually play games on them now instead of theorizing about parts/performance/price etc. Next-gen finally feels real.

Did Github leak mentioned that same codename (CXD90060GG)?
I am curious as to how it has been tied now with Oberon. Been trying to track down the Github leaks.

silent head

chilichote

Somebody explain the following to me:
We all assume that the PS5 will perform roughly the same as the Series X, but with reduced resolution and possibly a little less ray tracing.

For this, Sony has chosen a chip that is clocked higher, that needs better cooling, the liquid metal cooling of which took two years to develop, plus an I / O that can deliver incredible performance and all for a manufacturing price almost the same as the Series X.

Why all the effort when you could have it almost as strong or even stronger, for the same financial commitment (like Series X)?

Last edited:
Somebody explain the following to me:
We all assume that the PS5 will perform roughly the same as the Series X, but with reduced resolution and possibly a little less ray tracing.

For this, Sony has chosen a chip that is clocked higher, that needs better cooling, the liquid metal cooling of which took two years to develop, plus an I / O that can deliver incredible performance and all for a manufacturing price almost the same as the Series X.

Why all the effort when you could have it almost as strong or even stronger, for the same financial commitment (like Series X)?
Mostly for them to push the performance of certain workloads. R&D cost will be capitalized. saving manufacturing cost means a lot more. Regarding performance itself, lets wait to see some actual nextgen gameplays on xsx first.

Andodalf

Banned
same speed

Htdvzf2.jpg

yQu14ak.gif

That give an up to speed, which with no heatsink will certainly drop far, far lower. MS chose to give a Speed which is 100% reliable even if it can go faster in certain aspects.

Elegance of simplistic design.
Any of two consoles are simple and if you talking about the exterior design you should be old enough to
not try to convince another people to share your taste on such a subjective subject.
giphy.gif

We are adults but the memes are good for this shitty year.
giphy.gif

The Dreamcast thing was Sega's fault.

It's a joke do not get angry.
I am still funny how the Sega fans become Xbox fans.
giphy.gif

DaGwaphics

same speed

Htdvzf2.jpg

yQu14ak.gif

Wrong PCIe spec. The budget PCIe4 devices aren't out yet, will be around 3500MB/s.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
same speed

Different form factor; the XS drive is a small form factor.

Still kinda expensive either way, and PS5 has an advantage as it doesn't require the more expensive small form factor.. of course it also requires brand new expensive fast drives... but it also should have better load times so there's that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom