• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably don't realize who he is in their defense. They just see someone praising their game and feel happy about showing it. I can't blame them for that.

This is the title of the youtube link in that tweet:

"Xbox Series X Game Developer RESPONDS To Negative Media Reviews And Shuts Down Toxic Critics Online"

Before clicking I actually thought it was a preview build of Dirt 5 from start to finish but it was just fanboy rambling about bullshit.

Yoboman

I mean, You're right. I won't deny it, they've poached the industry clean for the Initiative. But aggressive recruitment benefits the Devs as much as MS. Who's to say Devs at naughty dog aren't unhappy, or the rumors of ND crunch are real. Hell it could be as simple as MS offering %50 more for the same position with better benefits and unlimited resources at a new studio
zdwT7VN.jpg

zdwT7VN.jpg

zdwT7VN.jpg
A company only has do many positions at the upper levels and the AAA development space is small, a lot of these guys probably got to move into a more senior position

I mean, You're right. I won't deny it, they've poached the industry clean for the Initiative. But aggressive recruitment benefits the Devs as much as MS. Who's to say Devs at naughty dog aren't unhappy, or the rumors of ND crunch are real. Hell it could be as simple as MS offering %50 more for the same position with better benefits and unlimited resources at a new studio
zdwT7VN.jpg

zdwT7VN.jpg

zdwT7VN.jpg
Hmmm Rockstar, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog... it seems Xbos is trying to make their own big story driven single player game. Will it be a third person Perfect Dark or something entirely different? who knows but let's see what all that talent can do.

saintjules

I must be lucky to play lots of games, never cleaned my PS4 base 2013-2016, then didn't clean my pro 2016-present and still have it extremely silent. It's not just me, all of the PS4's I've seen in person are extremely silent and you can only know they're on from the light bar, even in shitty situations and even open air like camps and so where friends gather and play with humidity hitting 100% and drizzles with lots of mist during the monsoon season.

No worries, I've cleaned it from the outside after the video, lol. I tell the house maid to not even touch the spot, as I find the console open sometimes for hours without noticing it. And I'm a lazy ass so I rarely clean that holy spot. I don't really touch it as I'm 100% digital since late 2014.

Yeah, same for mine. I actually got a refurbished Pro in 2017. It's been fine ever since. Never understood the whole opening up and applying thermal paste.

Do you believe Mark Cerny mentioned Dead Space just by accident or there is a chance to see a new Dead Space in the next generation?

I'm no fan of EA these days, not after the latest sports shitshow. They'll probably mess it up somehow. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Dead Space was a great entry in a genre that Resident Evil had somewhat abandoned for more action before returning to their roots.

saintjules

PS5 pre-orders on a site called Accessories Warehouse. Based in the UK

PlayStation 5 Console Please note this round of pre-orders cannot be guaranteed for release day delivery. We apologise for any inconvinece caused.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Then why he only mention the Naughty Dog Dev and not the other 30 Devs that join?
I used to watch RDX back in the day and they say, Xbox will finally get God tier game now a God of War Dev join.
I know what the guy is aiming at.

All those Xbox people are doing is admitting Sony first party developers are world class and Sony games are some of the best in the industry. Every time a Sony developer leaves a studio and joins a MS studio they make such a big deal about it. They don't even realize what that says about Sony and PlayStation. It's always funny to me because they love to make fun of "3rd person cinematic samey games."

They loved Sony games all along.

Last edited:

demigod

@OrkyOct 13, 2020PermanentAlt of Meirl.

i have seen this name before, it was before my time, any insights on to who this was.

Huge xbox fanboy that loved to throw insults out, at one point he had like 7 different usernames. Either the mods didn't catch him or they allowed it until Meirl was permabanned. He keeps on coming back with new usernames and they catch him pretty quick, this one actually took a while.

Dolomite

Hmmm Rockstar, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog... it seems Xbos is trying to make their own big story driven single player game. Will it be a third person Perfect Dark or something entirely different? who knows but let's see what all that talent can do.
Thats what I'm hoping for. Either that or whatever spy game they teased with the guy repelling down a sku scraper with fireworks going off nearby

Dolomite

A company only has do many positions at the upper levels and the AAA development space is small, a lot of these guys probably got to move into a more senior position
Idk, I've checked many of thier linkedin accts, and plenty held senior and lead positionsat ND, insomniac and Santa Monica. I doubt MS would grab folks just to "promote them" for positions they aren't qualified for, regardless of past accolades

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, same for mine. I actually got a refurbished Pro in 2017. It's been fine ever since. Never understood the whole opening up and applying thermal paste.

I think we got some good ones. It seems to depend on the country? Some countries are getting from one factory or another. Because I've seen more than 100 PS4's here in shitty situations and all of them are quite. Only one was jet and very noisy is actually my sister's OG PS4, US version from the gray market.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

The rocket is ray traced onto the shiny truck I take it?

Doesn't look like anything ray traced with the rocket. There weren't any reflections on the truck and while It was being illuminated by the rocket's tail fire, it was likely with just single a point light. You can tell by looking at the vertical silver canister in the front of the truck as the rocket passes. It's only illuminating from the main flame at the tail of the rocket. None of the remaining ~15 feet of fire was putting off any light into the scene and the light on the truck also remained the same color and intensity the entire time, pointing to a singular point light.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
its not exactly a high bar to meet, note performance is not just TF. Let see how ps5 runs this game, as a racing game without RT and effects should be comfortable 4k60 so something does not add up.

In "resolution" mode, the game runs in an apparently uncapped frame rate; this bounces between 30fps and 60fps, which averages out to roughly 40fps. This mode's dynamic resolution maxes out near 2160p and falls as low as an apparent 1440p. (Compared to Xbox One's heavily aliased DiRT 4, the jump in resolution this time around is very appreciated.)

Drop to DiRT 5's middle "frame rate" setting, and you'll see a mild hit to texture pop-in on the ground ahead of you, along with a noticeable hit to shadow pop-in in the near distance. Settings are otherwise mostly left intact, other than a dynamic resolution that scales down lower, while the frame rate gets close to, but doesn't lock to, 60fps.

Man! That's some severe performance hits! Going down to 1440p in the resolution mode, and down to 30fps is quite a joke! Yet we see extreme damage control everywhere.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Huge xbox fanboy that loved to throw insults out, at one point he had like 7 different usernames. Either the mods didn't catch him or they allowed it until Meirl was permabanned. He keeps on coming back with new usernames and they catch him pretty quick, this one actually took a while.

At this point he sounds like a villain. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Didn't know the guy but seen several bans of his alts already.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
FH4 is getting Ultra settings 4k60fps on the XSX, so my guess is bad development. If the game is the same (or slightly worse) on the PS5 then we can lay the blame squarely at the developers feet. Maybe the game engine just doesn't scale well or they just have not had enough time to optimize. If you think about it, the game is targeting 9 different platforms (PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, Stadia, and PC).

That being said, the game does look good, just look at the Gamespot 4k upload (not IGN).

FrighteningReliableGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

Man, even this GIF has screen tearing.

That's indeed. Wonderful, insightful input as usual. And for someone interested in Sony Atom View video that Sony have put them more into their Sony Pictures division, here it which lots of simplified details:

I guess I haven't looked too much into this Atom thing, but how does this relate to PS5?

John from DF says zero games will have raytracing at launch on xsx. What the actual fuck. After talking about it for 2 years .

All those talks about ps5 being rdna 1.5 and xsx being true rdna 2 is hilarious now. Karma 👀😬😅

YlOsMQM.jpg
This can’t be right... Are you telling me they spent this whole time marketing Ray Tracing to ship the console with games that can’t use it because of their SDK. WTF!?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I guess I haven't looked too much into this Atom thing, but how does this relate to PS5?

Sony bought them in 2019 after their showing:

They've been working mostly with Sony Pictures:

But the are under Sony Innovation Studios:

This is a massive move from Sony.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

Yep. New opportunities, career advancement, and not to mention people sometimes want to work on something new after having spent years on the same IP. I've seen dev teams turn over many times in 10 years at my company. Some talent stays while others move on.

? The tools are only as good as the mechanic using them

People are weird. Do they really think ND is going to hire anyone to fill this role? I don’t know why people get so obsessed about hirings of people from other studios unless it’s someone like a game director or a writer. Studios like Naughty Dog won’t settle for less than pure talent.

saintjules

PS5 pre-orders on a site called Accessories Warehouse. Based in the UK

Got my Brother his PS5. We're done with all these pre-orders.

Site works for anyone who is still looking to pre-order. It was a bit more on the expensive side. PS5 Disc Version - $620USD with the international shipping. Won't be launch day, but at least it's there.

kretos

Banned
People are weird. Do they really think ND is going to hire anyone to fill this role? I don’t know why people get so obsessed about hirings of people from other studios unless it’s someone like a game director or a writer. Studios like Naughty Dog won’t settle for less than pure talent.

there are maybe 6-8 big names that matter like Kojima etc..., no one even know the names of these employees but i guess some people view these "transfers" as if they are football players or something because now they play for your team, xbox fanboys desperate

Shmunter

Doesn't look like anything ray traced with the rocket. There weren't any reflections on the truck and while It was being illuminated by the rocket's tail fire, it was likely with just single a point light. You can tell by looking at the vertical silver canister in the front of the truck as the rocket passes. It's only illuminating from the main flame at the tail of the rocket. None of the remaining ~15 feet of fire was putting off any light into the scene and the light on the truck also remained the same color and intensity the entire time, pointing to a singular point light.
I'm an expert, can't you tell.

Jokes aside, I assumed the shiny truck being there for RT purpose, but I'll go with your detailed analysis.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
do we know if the game use vrs ?
this tech will not help to win still image screenshot war especially against slow paced 30 fps games.
and i'm not saying it looks good btw but that the tech make it worst in this kind of comparison.

I've seen the graphics drop heavily to what it seems as low as ~1440p here:

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-16h33m13s703.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-16h33m13s703.png

But it seems the whole resolution, then it returns to near 4K:

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-17h10m09s251.png

As reporters say, it's the whole resolution dropping, not VRS.

Last edited:

reksveks

For sure a possibility; and one look at Halo Infinite will tell you they were far behind graphically and it isn't shocking RT still wasn't expected to be ready.

Still doesn't help how small the amount of games we've actually seen running confirmed on XSX is that aren't BC; it all helps fuel the speculation of issues/lack of RT/whatever.
If it is not hardware and assuming it is software, it must be very difficult to program in directX RT without using the Nvidia libraries. Because if not I can't explain it.

Sony seems to be doing well so I understand that AMD Vulkan / equivalent that Sony uses should be much simpler.

Which only fuels my speculation that the PS5's RT is different from the SX when it comes to hardware.

It might just come down to experience, remember that cyberpunk is using dxr for raytracing on pc. Does anyone know if capcom actually does the PC build or if they contract someone for that build?

the next gen render pipeline scale with number of cu because mesh shader scale with and rely a lot on cu (SM for nvidia)

extract of nvidia presentation to support that :

meshlets_pipeline.png

• Higher scalability through shader units by reducing fixed-function impact in primitive processing. The generic purpose use of modern GPUs helps a greater variety of applications to add more cores and improve shader’s generic memory and arithmetic performance. (geometry engine is SOOOOOOO crucial)
  • Flexibility in defining the mesh topology and creating graphics work. The previous tessellation shaders were limited to fixed tessellation patterns while geometry shaders suffered from an inefficient threading, unfriendly programming model which created triangle strips per-thread.

• Vertices are processed in parallel across the workgroup’s threads, just like the original vertex shaders.
  • Vertex shaders can be made mostly compatible with mesh shaders with a few preprocessor insertions.
  • Less data needs to be fetched due to greater vertex re-use (classic vertex shaders operate with a limit of max_vertices = 32 and max_primitives = 32). Average triangle mesh valences suggest that using twice the amount of triangles as vertices is beneficial.
  • All data loads are handled via shader instructions instead of the classic fixed function primitive fetch and therefore scales better with more Streaming Multiprocessors. It also allows easier use of custom vertex encodings to further reduce bandwidth.
you do realize it is a new pipeline that is not available in most of the PCs, right? on paper it looks great, but we will need to wait for another 2-3 years to see the fruit of it. as long as Sony doesn't go full retarded to port games to PC day and date, we may see PS5 uses the new pipeline earlier.

UE5's nanite is also a new pipeline, btw. i don't have the details on how nanite takes advantage of the mesh geometry engine. fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom