• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Reads like he wants to come out of this as the good guy, even though he already knows that it won’t release on PlayStation.
Its basically: "We don't want to deny those games to everyone else. But it won't come out on Playstation. But you can play it on Game Pass, Xbox, Xcloud..".
So basically everyone in the world can play it on PC, Xbox or Mobile

Nickolaidas

Did anyone post this? Thanks to @PSX :

Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”

We do know that Microsoft has made a big studio purchase and kept its new franchise multiplatform before. That’s what they did with Mojang and its game Minecraft. So it wouldn’t be wild to see a Fallout 5 on PlayStation 5. For now, Spencer has said that platforms for future ZeniMax games will be determined on a case-by-case basis. And even if they make the games multiplatform, Spencer’s team can still boast an advantage: ZeniMax’s games could be sold at full price on PlayStation but offered at a large discount on the Xbox platform as part of the $10/month Game Pass subscription, a killer deal that already grants players launch day access to every new Microsoft-published game.

Did Bethesda games ever sell well on the PlayStation? I mean, Skyrim has a pitiful mod support, and runs the worst of all (X1X, PC, etc.).

I can see Doom selling well, but I hardly think that MS/Bethesda need the PS brand to sell Elder Scroll games. My opinion.

Mr Moose

Did Bethesda games ever sell well on the PlayStation? I mean, Skyrim has a pitiful mod support, and runs the worst of all (X1X, PC, etc.).

I can see Doom selling well, but I hardly think that MS/Bethesda need the PS brand to sell Elder Scroll games. My opinion.
360/PS3 era? Maybe not, this gen? Probably.
I'm too lazy to check old NPD/PAL threads though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thanks to @zaitsu , the plot is thickening:

Zrzut-ekranu-2020-10-16-o-18-59-20.png
Did John write the bits in blue? I dont use Twitter.

I dont know why this is controversial. We have already seen that DMCV is 4k 30 fps and 1080p 60 fps on both consoles. AC is 4k 60 fps on both consoles as well. Avengers is 4k 60 fps on xsx and dynamic 4k 60 fps on the PS5. thats the biggest difference and no one is gonna notice resolution drops in realtime anyway.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well that's that

I dont know why this is so hard. He's trying to be a politician and getting himself in this mess. You cannot please everyone. Exclusives by definition are meant to be exclusive and him buying Bethesda was a GOOD move for Xbox owners. It might even be a good move for gamers in general because bethesda games have been a generation behind when it comes to graphics and have consistently launched in a buggy state. Maybe the money behind a first party jaggernaut will allow them to launch without bugs and have better graphics.

No the other user did
i dont understand. why are we posting screencaps of some dude sending DMs to John?

I mean let me DM Jim Ryan and then post a one way conversation as proof that the PS5 is more powerful. Whats going on here?

xHunter

So basically he's just saying that the original tweet is very accurate. He's not confirming that they are close or anything.

With that said I find it hard to believe the CUs are not RDNA2 ones.
Someone DM'd john and quoted the original tweet and added his own opinions. Johns message would have been with a white (?) background and on the left side. So the picture proves nothing.

i dont understand. why are we posting screencaps of some dude sending DMs to John?

I mean let me DM Jim Ryan and then post a one way conversation as proof that the PS5 is more powerful. Whats going on here?
I dont know either. Maybe the og poster didnt understand it.

Last edited:

I dont know why this is controversial. We have already seen that DMCV is 4k 30 fps and 1080p 60 fps on both consoles. AC is 4k 60 fps on both consoles as well. Avengers is 4k 60 fps on xsx and dynamic 4k 60 fps on the PS5. thats the biggest difference and no one is gonna notice resolution drops in realtime anyway.

Someone sent John a DM and is now claiming he wrote that back.

gt_connect

Neo Member

I'm not trying to say it is true, but it makes perfectly sense when Jason Ronald said that: :messenger_sad_relieved:

“With RDNA 2 we get basically a 25 percent performance uplift over GCN with no work by developers at all,” claims Ronald. “There’s a significant amount of efficiency we’re getting out of RDNA2 relative to GCN. Then we look at other things like using float 16 or variable rate shading, and we’re seeing on the order of 10-20 percent performance benefits from there as well.”

Why he said RDNA 2 over GCN, not RDNA 1? Now you add up the fact that the soc picture of XSX is the same as RDNA 1 the things start to become interesting...

"mostly from a block diagram of the arrangement of the shader cores. Those expecting a revelatory change for RDNA 2 from the basic setup seen in AMD's RX 5700 series may be disappointed - the basic arrangement and cache allocation looks to be a match, with the only noticeable change coming from the addition of ray tracing blocks. "

LOL (not spreading lies, just information from official links) :messenger_hushed: :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:
Now you add up the fact that the soc picture of XSX is the same as RDNA 1 the things start to become interesting...

That person was comparing GPUs to these consoles APUs which is why it wasn't accurate.

Unless there was another comparison that I'm not aware of?

The only thing that I know is that both are custom RDNA2 GPUs. I remember that Cerny said the CUs in the PS5 are RDNA2 CUs. Other than that I don't really know how these GPUs are customized.

FunkMiller

Reads like he wants to come out of this as the good guy, even though he already knows that it won’t release on PlayStation.
Its basically: "We don't want to deny those games to everyone else. But it won't come out on Playstation. But you can play it on Game Pass, Xbox, Xcloud..".

If there’s a hundred million Ps5s out in the wild in five years, Bethesda games will be coming out on it. Best to just prep yourselves for that capitalist reality now, my friends. The only chance they stay off Ps5 is if it doesn’t sell that well long term.

I’m looking to upgrade from an old pair of Beats that came with my MacBook. Would you recommend the Sony XM’s or is there another good brand to look out for?

Mostly used for listening to music while working, movies and gaming, where I use a v-moda boom mic.

Since it’s my main source of sound, I would like an upgrade but I wouldn’t say I’m an audiophile either.
INCUBASE on an earlier post above mine recommended the Hifiman Sundara, they're a below $350 pair of cans with an open back for improved breathability and more spacious sound as well as planar magnets which are an excellent tech like i mentioned above. You should also check out either the XM3 or XM4's from sony, featuring excellent noice cancellation (the best in the industry) and excellent sound. If you have even bigger pockets, you can also opt for the Audeze LCD-1's featuring Audeze's patented fluxor magnets and nanoscale diaphragms and exemplary sound these retail for $399. Loads of choices, it's up to you though.

geordiemp

geordiemp geordiemp what's your take on this, yes i am calling you out you, old bum, you don't get to live here rent-free, starting imputing. "lollipop_disappointed:

cough, "Hey bud, old friend, what you think?" :messenger_sad_relieved:

If he is talking about silicon, could be XSX used less EUV around transistors, would explain the lower frequency. No its not just because super cool when parts are 2.5 GHz.

If its all just talking about GPU logic and functions, then could be a whole raft of things, there has been numerous AMD and Sony patents on data compression between caches, pixel vertices and so on, some of them Sony.

Then there is all the L1 ache being common for some functions (I dont think this is gaming tbh), infinitiy cache which is large L2 I believe to negate bus width but also will help with cache misses to memory. Could be huge, but also could be massive perf gain.

The unusual thing here is the PC parts are coming after consoles, so will they look more like ps5 or XSX architecture ? As they are very very different, and anyone yhings they have employed the same is just wrong..

What is RDNA2 is the question, is it process + logic blocks, clock speed of GPU and fast caches...Is it TF :messenger_beaming: or efficiency of moving data around really fast.....All this talk of vRS and mesh shaders is likely so far off the mark in what will give the performance boosts is my opinion, but we aint got long, 28 th Oct, 2 weeks !

RDNA2 is a marketing term really, we just have to look at what features are present, similarities to PC parts as they seem to be coming last so AMD can pick and chose what is best, and at the end of the day how they perform is what matters..

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

DMC5 has RT on PS5 for the same target, and could be dragged down to 1080p instead of 1440p for parity. It's a massive deal as RDNA1 CU's optimal max is at 1.8GHz. RDNA2 is reported as between 2.2-2.5GHz for 80-40CU's respectively.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Also, if anyone needs more evidence that XSX is RDNA 2, just consider the power draw. 52 CUs at 1825Mhz with 120w power draw is simply not possible on RDNA 1. However, it is possible with the 50% performance per watt improvements of RDNA 2.

I'm not trying to say it is true, but it makes perfectly sense when Jason Ronald said that: :messenger_sad_relieved:

“With RDNA 2 we get basically a 25 percent performance uplift over GCN with no work by developers at all,” claims Ronald. “There’s a significant amount of efficiency we’re getting out of RDNA2 relative to GCN. Then we look at other things like using float 16 or variable rate shading, and we’re seeing on the order of 10-20 percent performance benefits from there as well.”

Why he said RDNA 2 over GCN, not RDNA 1? Now you add up the fact that the soc picture of XSX is the same as RDNA 1 the things start to become interesting...

"mostly from a block diagram of the arrangement of the shader cores. Those expecting a revelatory change for RDNA 2 from the basic setup seen in AMD's RX 5700 series may be disappointed - the basic arrangement and cache allocation looks to be a match, with the only noticeable change coming from the addition of ray tracing blocks. "

LOL (not spreading lies, just information from official links) :messenger_hushed: :messenger_hushed:

I don't know how much true is in that tweet, but I want say some points:

-Both consoles are custom designed based in RDNA 2, that is word custom.
-If they say RDNA 2 is because is technically they are not lying.
-Look the kind of users who follow that account, are users very know to have good analysis and sources for gpu and cpu world.
-She/he just publish and continue talking about other topic (about navi 22) because for her/him doesn't give a fuck the consoles
-The PS5 is using the same parts as XSX? not
-PS5 use more parts of RDNA 2 ? not idea we need to see the chip and compare against the RDNA 2 in PC
-Perfectly Xbox could just take the parts they want from RDNA 2 and the reality none of this forum or era knows if this is because
the performance is better vs RDNA 2 or something else
-This is not bad rumor, is a rumor from someone with a decent of credibility
-The overreaction to that tweet is easy to understand, the same happen to PS5 just half year ago this is just revenge
-The consoles and navi 2 GPUs will be out before this year ends so who cares

We need to wait to until AMD show the RDNA 2 to the end of this month. But remember guys both console are custom not equals
the reasons of why Xbox or Playstation preserve or remove part from RDNA could be so many as you can imagine.

Even after you know which console is close to RDNA 2 that doesn't mean you can say how superior is one against vs other, that is
the reason of why any decent dev need to fucking devkit to know that and even then the delta can change depending of many
factors like workloads.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

What is going on in here?
Does that mean:
XSX RDNA 1.5???
PS5 RDNA 2.x???

Btw: could be one of the reasons, why PS5 games look so polished at the moment, that Sony originally planned to release PS5 in 2019?
Therefore the games were already in production to meet the 2019 deadline and thanks to the delay to 2020, they got 1 extra year to polish the games.
Additionally the Covid impact for release is lower thanks to this.

Does that mean:
XSX RDNA 1.5???
PS5 RDNA 2.x???

Btw: could be one of the reasons, why PS5 games look so polished at the moment, that Sony originally planned to release PS5 in 2019?
Therefore the games were already in production to meet the 2019 deadline and thanks to the delay to 2020, they got 1 extra year to polish the games.
Both consoles are custom RDNA 2 buf for some reason the people think "custom=equals in everything"

Does that mean:
XSX RDNA 1.5???
PS5 RDNA 2.x???

What I don't understand is how a console planned for 2019 is supposed to have RDNA2 in it.

chonga

Does that mean:
XSX RDNA 1.5???
PS5 RDNA 2.x???

I don't know about polished, but I think that is definitely why we have a strong first party line-up.

onQ123

Does that mean:
XSX RDNA 1.5???
PS5 RDNA 2.x???

My guess is both PS5 & Xbox Series X are based on RDNA 2 but with their own twists & turns

RaZoR No1

What I don't understand is how a console planned for 2019 is supposed to have RDNA2 in it.
I don't know..

I'm just an average Neogaf user :D
But there are even people who mention that PS5 could have RDNA 3 features.

I really like to know what this means for XSX. I don't think that the Twitter post is made up and at the moment we still don't have in depth techinal details of the PS5 like we have for XSX.

The posts and rumors do not help with the waiting...

Does that mean:
XSX RDNA 1.5???
PS5 RDNA 2.x???

Could this also explain the whole RT debacle?

I’m just speculating as I don’t know much about hardware. Wouldn’t this (supposed) mixture of RDNA1 + RT be harder to use than a RDNA2 + RT that was designed to work together from the beginning? This could explain things like “Where’s the RT for XSX?” debacle and the whole “PS5 has more advanced RT” rumours.

Honestly, I doubt it’s true but it just fits for my little brain. Just speculation and rumours at the end of the day, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom