• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Everything good that is happening now with PS5 is because Sony knows MS is a real threat and they are playing their A game.
AbandonedAggravatingBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

Sony has been literally Tone Deaf to everything MS has been doing and you think they are playing their A game?
Sony has been like
g20.gif

Last edited:

I'm not trying to say it is true, but it makes perfectly sense when Jason Ronald said that: :messenger_sad_relieved:

“With RDNA 2 we get basically a 25 percent performance uplift over GCN with no work by developers at all,” claims Ronald. “There’s a significant amount of efficiency we’re getting out of RDNA2 relative to GCN. Then we look at other things like using float 16 or variable rate shading, and we’re seeing on the order of 10-20 percent performance benefits from there as well.”

Why he said RDNA 2 over GCN, not RDNA 1? Now you add up the fact that the soc picture of XSX is the same as RDNA 1 the things start to become interesting...

"mostly from a block diagram of the arrangement of the shader cores. Those expecting a revelatory change for RDNA 2 from the basic setup seen in AMD's RX 5700 series may be disappointed - the basic arrangement and cache allocation looks to be a match, with the only noticeable change coming from the addition of ray tracing blocks. "

LOL (not spreading lies, just information from official links) :messenger_hushed: :messenger_hushed:

There's no way the CUs are RDNA1 and with 52 of them, the console stays under 200W under load. So yeah this is bullshit.

Sounds cool!

hifiman.jpg

3athg7.jpg

gaf1.jpg
Sounds cool!

hifiman.jpg

3athg7.jpg

gaf1.jpg
Why would you look straight at their most expensive pieces. Why the Susvara? The Sundara cost less than $500 and sound excellent. Thanks for the ignore though. A little better digging at their different offerings would be better, rather than looking straight at the absolute top end of the range which is outside the reach of most people. Plus HifiMan have dozens of headphones to choose from ,both expensive and well priced.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why would you look straight at their most expensive pieces. Why the Susvara? The Sundara cost less than $500 and sound excellent. Thanks for the ignore though. A little better digging at their different offerings would be better, rather than looking straight at the absolute top end of the range which is outside the reach of most people. Plus HifiMan have dozens of headphones to choose from ,both expensive and well priced.

Man, I'm joking with. Sorry if it didn't sound obvious. I really appreciate your input and would always tag you, if that doesn't bother you, if I have sound-related topic because you sound like someone with a much better experience that could bring so much to the table.

My apologies again, sir. :lollipop_crying:

Grodiak

Late in the game for all this headphone stuff - but as some mentioned the Sony 7506 are a solid choice for the price (wearing a pair right now :) ) - Massdrop has a good pair of Sennheiser open backs branded 6xx that are basically identical to 650's.

BUT these are relatively flat response cans (that's why professionals in both music and film rock 7506's). They try to replicate what the mixer put out there. There is a clear tendency for people to jump to the conclusion that boomy=great which is well... whatever. But it's the reason why brands like Beats etc do well (with that demographic) - they color the low-end.

Last edited:
Man, I'm joking with. Sorry if it didn't sound obvious. I really appreciate your input and would always tag you, if that doesn't bother you, if I have sound-related topic because you sound like someone with a much better experience that could bring so much to the table.

My apologies again, sir. :lollipop_crying:
Sorry if i sounded a little... Off putting. Not my intention at all. Things have been a little rough for me with Covid 19, it has stopped me from doing a lot of things and I've lost people too, it's driving me a bit crazy and i know I'm not the only one. I apologise if I sounded like a dork or disrespectful, didn't mean for it to sound like that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sorry if i sounded a little... Off putting. Not my intention at all. Things have been a little rough for me with Covid 19, it has stopped me from doing a lot of things and I've lost people too, it's driving me a bit crazy and i know I'm not the only one. I apologise if I sounded like a dork or disrespectful, didn't mean for it to sound like that.

Not at all, and my condolences to your loss, mate. I really hope things get better for you and everyone, as we are all in this 2020 insanity. And no need to apologize, sir, I've been the goofy one.:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You actually sounded extremely polite, I had to check if I was still in GAF.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

EDIT: I Checked xbox website both on my PC and cellphone and found RT, it's only Microsoft page that has no mention of RT.

LOL. Locked thread....no more replies! Glad the mods don't do that so quickly HERE!

Sinthor

Gold Member
That whole "planned for 2019" is questionable, and if true, plans can change, and revisions can be made.

No. Some kind of change would need at least 2 years or more. That whole 2019 thing is laughable. We heard the same BS about the PS4 before its release.

As far as RT..I'm sure XSX will be fine. Just appears that maybe Microsoft has some issues with their development tools, or maybe firmware updated features or something, that has been holding the XSX back a bit. If at launch it doesn't have RT on games or something like that then I'd still say it almost certainly will...would just mean it's behind for some reason.

As far as the XSX is concerned, the only thing I wonder about in terms of performance is if and how that split memory will affect real world performance. Or again, IF it will. Other than that...it will be just fine. Even if it's a matter of issues keeping CU's occupied, which frankly, sounds completely bogus to me as well. Even if it were that issue, developers would soon catch up and everything would be fine.

I still think this is just the Xbox team being behind schedule because of internal shifts at Microsoft as far as their strategy and then magnified by this lovely virus we've all come to know this year.

Antelope

AbandonedAggravatingBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

Sony has been literally Tone Deaf to everything MS has been doing and you think they are playing their A game?
Sony has been like
g20.gif
Ha. Sony is launching with a Spider-Man game, a Souls game. GT7, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal and God of War are coming in the first 18 months. Oh and a Final Fantasy game.

That shit takes planning.

MS showed up with Craig, Sony showed up with a team of ninjas.

Since we are on the topic of console wars, ever since that RDNA 1+2 tweet dropped this place has been like Soccer moms fighting in the parking lot about which van can tow more.

All the consoles are going to be good, but PC will still be the most powerful if that’s your thing.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Why ? I have always thought the opposite. If you had not heard any pR, no specs, lived in a no information bubble

And just watched games run but heard nothing about the hardware, what would you think ?

Sony have just been quietly confident.
Well, technically, as long as they have the higher number, like with TF, then their marketing would be just fine, even if somehow that wasn't the case in real world performance. So really not a big deal.

At least we're close to launch so pretty soon we'll all be able to run the same games on both and then the e-penis folk can measure every little last pixel and mili-second to their hearts content! Me....I'm just gonna be playing some FUCKING AWESOME GAMES and use my dick where it SHOULD be used. ;)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That reminds me

where the heck is SonGoku SonGoku

Not really sure. Really miss the guy. Back when I had my unfair perma-ban months ago, he and others stood for me when I was a complete stranger and mostly making memes. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I remember him, and mostly Rusco Da Vino Rusco Da Vino (he's busy with his business, I was talking to him today), thelastword thelastword (this guy is too serious and stiff never seen him give me a lol emoji no matter how goofy my post is:messenger_expressionless:) and lots of others.

Well, I came here for PS5 info and then disappear, learned a lot more than I needed, and enjoyed the ride. The two things behind my extreme engagement here are COVID (we have lockdown again) and no school, I'm a teacher, since mid March. Spent most of the time in this legendary thread chasing the pages to reach the final page, and wake up the next day for another climb.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

I just wanna thank all of you here, it's been a wonderful ride, and we'll hopefully continue the ride for more knowledge and banter.:lollipop_wink_tongue:

Last edited:
and lets face it neither console has room on the die for massive L2.
ps5 has far less cus, and needs far smaller l2 cache to achieve infinity, if Cerny knew about it, it would go along well with his low CU high Ghz strategy that speeds up caches.
Just imagine this situation. That the XSX ended up having the inferior multiplats after all the marketing about it being the most powerful system.

What do you think would happen?
2020 would keep on giving.
There's no way the CUs are RDNA1 and with 52 of them, the console stays under 200W under load. So yeah this is bullshit.
The idea would be that they might be gcn for backward compatibility which seems to be a strong focus of them, running the code natively and providing backward compatibility. The power saving updates might have been done while keeping changes as little as possible.

Thedtrain

Not really sure. Really miss the guy. Back when I had my unfair perma-ban months ago, he and others stood for me when I was a complete stranger and mostly making memes. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I remember him, and mostly Rusco Da Vino Rusco Da Vino (he's busy with his business, I was talking to him today), thelastword thelastword (this guy is too serious and stiff never seen him give me a lol emoji no matter how goofy my post is:messenger_expressionless:) and lots of others.

Well, I came here for PS5 info and then disappear, learned a lot more than I needed, and enjoyed the ride. The two things behind my extreme engagement here are COVID (we have lockdown again) and no school, I'm a teacher, since mid March. Spent most of the time in this legendary thread chasing the pages to reach the final page, and wake up the next day for another climb.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

I just wanna thank all of you here, it's been a wonderful ride, and we'll hopefully continue the ride for more knowledge and banter.:lollipop_wink_tongue:
Thanks for contributing! Covid has made this goldfish peddler work from home and I’ve been reading everyone here a lot this year.

Thanks to everyone. Except sircaw sircaw , that fish is crazy"lollipop_disappointed:

Elog

That is the node though and not connected to the transistor layout of the CU. It is clearly the RDNA2 node with the power efficiency gains etc - question is whether they have chose to keep the RDNA1 CU transistor layout with the RT blocks added for BC reasons (?) or not.

The sources are good on this one so I would not simply dismiss it right off the bat.

Saberus

So has Xbox Series X actually shown any signs of being more powerful than PS5 yet?
I really don't think that will happen until their own 1st party have released to really see.. 3rd party.. dunno. guess its up to DF to count the pixels..lol.. but i'll be curious if/when the PS5 version loads in half the time, will they give any credit to playstation.

Last edited:
That is the node though and not connected to the transistor layout of the CU. It is clearly the RDNA2 node with the power efficiency gains etc - question is whether they have chose to keep the RDNA1 CU transistor layout with the RT blocks added for BC reasons (?) or not.

The sources are good on this one so I would not simply dismiss it right off the bat.

It's all so tiresome...
There's no "RDNA1 CU with RT blocks added"... THAT'S WHAT THE RDNA2 CU IS!
How people fall for these insane and nonsensical "rumors/leaks"? This last one is so absurd. We already know about the SeX GPU. "RDNA1 Front-End", focking hell, it's just ridiculous. The RT function is an integral part of the new CUs.
The reason why people like him have the audacity of writing such nonsense publicly and still get an audience must be because it's so ridiculous that the people who knows better don't even bother to waste their time replying.

J_Gamer.exe

8 seconds is still fast enough, those people who thought everything would have no loading were living in dream world.
I don't think those 8 seconds are actually the game loading.
If you watch carefully, you'll see that developers and publishers like to display there logos during intros or start up.
Remove the logos, intro and you'll see the actual load time.
Plus you can see the guy is tapping a button to speed up or skip the intro.

What Riky is completely overlooking here is those games splash screens / publisher logos etc are probably there by choice as loxus mentions. Add in online game too for outside factors beyond loading.

Now it does kind of defeat the point a bit with splash screens but whatever. Its upto devs on per game basis if they want to show their logo.

When a game like that goes to title screen and loads it should be about 2 seconds to the game. The same type of loading from a menu we saw on xbox taking up 15 seconds on dirt.

Some devs will clearly and rightfully get rid of splash screens.

We already i believe have confirmation of this here where it says 2 seconds game boot.

The latter doesn't specifically mention a cold boot but kena does. 2k certainly 2 seconds load.

How long does your favourite game take to load on the PlayStation 4? We’re not talking about Suspend/Resume or anything like that; we mean the first time you select it from your system’s main menu. About 15 seconds? 30 seconds? Heck, a minute, maybe? Kena: Bridge of Spirits takes two seconds on a PlayStation 5.

The information comes courtesy of Game Informer magazine: “In practice, we watched as Kena: Bridge of Spirits was launched from the PS5 system menu,” the publication reports. “It took about two seconds. That’s not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh.” So pretty much by the time you’ve selected it, you’re into the game.

“They have a whole thing set up where you can do a transition and it’s very nice, but frankly it doesn’t have time to play the animation,” explained Josh Grier, chief operating officer at Ember Lab. “It just loads the game so fast.” Obviously, after a generation of slow loading, this is a novelty that will wear thin in time. Still, we’re thrilled at the prospect of never having to see another loading screen again.'

So yeah it can and will be that fast if devs make it so. But yeah, they are probably just 'living in a dream world' 🙄

DaGwaphics

We will have to wait and see if the deal lasts. There was no time frame at this point.

I'd assume EA gets some direct revenue from the deal (since MS limited this to PC (where they raised the price by $5, and to GPU - so probably a killer discount rate), probably worth more than the total subscribers they had prior. If MS is agreeable, I'd figure that EA would stick with it. Maybe we'll see more of this if the other major pubs start to offer lower priced tiers for their older content. Might be a cheaper way for MS to build out the older GP content. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

saintjules

Two USB type A ports on the back are also 10 Gbps ports, and can be used for drives, and power wise are fine for charging the controller.

I plan to have a USB to SATA adapter on one of the back USB ports for my PS4 games, and another USB having a USB-C cable for controller charging.
I believe you can use any charging cable and that includes USB-A to USB-C.

PS. I lose the cable that come with my PS4 so I always used the ones I had at home.
Its USB-A to USB-C. Both the USB-A port on the front of the console and the USB-C port on the DualSense are 5 Gb/s.

The PS5 front USB-A port is designed for charging controllers, because both PS5 and PS4 controller cables will use the same port. And its for PSVR compatibility and the Pulse/Gold headset wireless USB stick.

I'm gonna use that USB port for the headset dongle, and just use the DualSense charging dock for recharging. It has its own power cord that goes into a wall outlet.

USB Front port is 2.0. So the max speed on the front port is 480 Mbits/sec

On the front, there are USB Type-A ports for USB 2.0 and USB Type-C ports for USB 3.2 Gen 2.

On the back are two USB 3.2 Gen 2 compliant Type-A ports, a 1000BASE-T wired LAN port, an HDMI 2.1 output terminal, and an eyeglass-shaped power connector.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Rumours don't mean anything.

Cold hard reality is in the three most important specs the XSX wins them all and two of them by quite a margin. It'll become very obvious as time goes by.
"cold hard reality" is that theoretical numbers are not representative of real world performance. We'll have to wait and see if that power gap ever shows up.

Also ps5 DE is 0.95 x the volume of XSX (smaller but different shape.). Ps5 disk is 5 % bigger by volume.
I told everyone once they were freaking out about the PS5 size that it was about the same size in volume as XSX lmao. Instead everyone went for that graphic that took the widest measurement from each axis and pretended the ps5 was a box

Your 480p question maybe highlights a lot of the reasoning, because it isn't a hd or hd-ready resolution. It is an EDTV resolution, so consoles that only have hdmi for guaranteed hd-ready or better resolutions don't need to support EDTV - which is less than 720p.

So if we then ask: "well why not just do 720p, then? ". I would speculate that 1080p looks big enough (text scaling) even on the smallest screen option, because it is a super sample, it looks more detailed on hd-ready screens, and going the other way scales brilliantly on the vast majority of budget branded 4k tvs, too because it is a small 1:4 scaling from high quality starting point, and budget screens are rarely good enough to easily discern 4k and 1080p sources apart at regular viewing distances IMHO.

As for 1080p not being good enough, IMHO it is certainly good enough with the PS3 or PS4 UI, so if it isn't good enough with XsX/Xss/X1X/X1s then I suspect that's more to do with the UI, and not the resolution.

Why Xbox has stuck to 1080p for the UI I would speculate is actually to do with shared UI development with Windows 10. Unlike the PS4/X1 onwards that require encrypted hdmi connections that provide the consoles with EDiD info that contains resolution capabilities and the screen size to allow UI text scaling to be set appropriately, Whereas with Win10 PCs they still have to work with legacy unencrypted monitor connections that may not provide accurate or complete EDID info through all connection types, which can mess up the default windows 10 resolution selection - and potentially damage some monitors if the selected timings were out of range - as a result of the UI selecting a 4K resolution beyond that TV input's capabilities.
Yeah well, none of these many words are an excuse to me and it's simply not good enough for a 4k console. Of course you can have a different opinion or try to rationalize it, but to me personally it's a joke. Unacceptable 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom