• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats probably on ultra settings though, which the consoles wont be close to imo.

That's enthusiast settings, very high preset, but there's no way the consoles are going to hit 2160p native @ 60fps.

Specs-1080jpg.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So Polygon say the PS5 design is that bad they had to try and hide it because it doesn't fit in with their other stuff
Image_from_iOS.jpg
Im sorry but before they complain about the PS5 design....:
1) That 1970s parkay hardwood floor is awful
2) That ikea TV stand is far too low to the floor for my taste.
3) That TV should be wall mounted or on a different stand bacause it is too low to the floor on that stand.
4) There is so much white and off white going on it looks like they have never heard of contrasting elements in interior design. Shit, even the PS5 has contrasting elements.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
At the risk of being wrong and what Geordiem says:
VARYING EFFECTIVE RESOLUTION BY SCREEN LOCATION BY ALTERING RASTERIZATION PARAMETERS
(like VRS)

GRADIENT ADJUSTMENT FOR TEXTURE MAPPING TO NON-ORTHONORMAL GRID
(saving non-orthogonal textures by gradient) An effect similar to Shamper Feedback Streaming

Fragment shaders perform vertex shader computations:
(Like Mesh Shaders)

Scheme for compressing vertex shader output parameters:
(Enhanced mesh shaders with compression)

Are already all the patents of VRS Mesh Shaders + compression + SFS supported in PS5 and RT, it is not necessary to mention or demonstrate anything.
we are all RDNA2 :messenger_beermugs: :messenger_beermugs: :messenger_beermugs: 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️can we focus once on the hardware ???that is the important?

kyliethicc

It only runs at 1440p/60 on PC with a 2080 Super and Ryzen 5 3600X that's considerably more powerful than both consoles, Series X and PS5 will both be upscaled 4k@60 for sure.
A Ryzen 5 is only a 6 core Zen 2. Consoles have 8 cores. More like Ryzen 7 3700X but clocked a bit lower.

And you need at least a RTX 2080 to run Rainbow Six Siege at 4K 120 FPS on PC. Consoles can do same, 4K 120 FPS.

So the consoles are closer than you'd think.

ArcaneNLSC

ArcaneNLSC ArcaneNLSC you put the moz on us mate🤣, walked into JB on Wed (lockdown in Melb finished the day before) an d they won't take a deposit for PS5, nor know when they'll have floorstock or when the next delivery of stock will happen.

We're in the fucking dark here. Not sure why they can't just keep taking preorders and fill those orders when they get stock.

😳

I'm in the same boat I can't get my hands on one either or put a deposit on one in any store

Piggoro

im Talking about physics, they are unaltered, confirmed by developers. That you are describing can be a bug, or sacrifice for performance or any thing
I don't think that was a good decision - I wish they'd implemented a better dead enemy ragdoll animation. Instead of rubber spine bending back.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member

This is a game? I thought they were little toy figurines.

And to only celebrate its "success", it was released in August 2019 (just over a year and it is already shutting down) and is a mobile game, currently deemed the most prolific games market. I play games on both Sony and Microsoft's consoles, but all this news about senior developers quitting major franchises and development hells for seminal AAA franchises has put Microsoft in an interesting light.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I finally sat down and watched a lot of nextgen footage on my TV in 4K instead of in my laptop.

Dude.

- Dirt 5 looks like crap and yeah I watched the DF video. If the others look worse I can't even imagine. The image quality mode is FILLED with tearing, the screen seems to be moving, makes me feel sick tbh. And the 120fps mode has such simplistic graphics that it's insane. NO THANKS. Rocks are square, shadows and LODs appear 5 meters from the screen. The trees and foliage look hideous. Absolutely trash. To say everything sucks would be harsh so I'll say that the sounds are good enough. Maybe.

- GT7: cars and reflections actually look ok but I noticed a lot of pop in especially in shadows, and trees still look bad. GT always improves immensely closer to release tho so I don't think these things will be a problem.

- Demon's Souls looks much better than anything else it's not even a fair comparison. And that's the dynamic 4K performance mode. Can't imagine how good the cinematic mode with native 4k and RT will look like.

- WRC5: can't really say much since (at least on my tv set) contrast is all fucked up. Apparently looks better than Dirt 5 though.

I finally sat down and watched a lot of nextgen footage on my TV in 4K instead of in my laptop.

Dude.

- Dirt 5 looks like crap and yeah I watched the DF video. If the others look worse I can't even imagine. The image quality mode is FILLED with tearing, the screen seems to be moving, makes me feel sick tbh. And the 120fps mode has such simplistic graphics that it's insane. NO THANKS. Rocks are square, shadows and LODs appear 5 meters from the screen. The trees and foliage look hideous. Absolutely trash. To say everything sucks would be harsh so I'll say that the sounds are good enough. Maybe.

- GT7: cars and reflections actually look ok but I noticed a lot of pop in especially in shadows, and trees still look bad. GT always improves immensely closer to release tho so I don't think these things will be a problem.

- Demon's Souls looks much better than anything else it's not even a fair comparison. And that's the dynamic 4K performance mode. Can't imagine how good the cinematic mode with native 4k and RT will look like.

- WRC5: can't really say much since (at least on my tv set) contrast is all fucked up. Apparently looks better than Dirt 5 though.
Scorn looks pretty good too but I might be a biased because I love Giger's work.
I'm afraid it ends up being like Agony but visually speaking the game looks good.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Scorn looks pretty good too but I might be a biased because I love Giger's work.
I'm afraid it ends up being like Agony but visually speaking the game looks good.

I agree with you there. Witholding final judgement till I see more of it- latest gameplay trailer didn't seem too engaging but that's just one gameplay clip so I'm waiting to see more. I like the art style but I almost fear that too much focus was put on the art versus game....eh we'll see. It IS very striking though and fans of Giger will love checking out everything in it!

Rea

I get what you're saying and I agree it truly is all about games at the end of the day but some of us (whether we're green, blue, red or some color in between) have a genuine interest in the technology that makes all this possible. So while I agree some folks absolutely do have an agenda and try to throw shade at others, some of us are actually curious and excited by these feature sets and what it could mean with regards to future computing performance or enabling new experiences in gaming.

I know you're probably just referring to the fanatics but I thought I'd throw that out there.
I was referring to extreme fans, that goes for team blue too, i too am interested in gpu technology in ps5, but sony won't divulge for it, it does not sound like them. The only way we can know more about ps5 gpu is, when cerny talk to game devs in one of the event in the future like " the road to ps5 part 2".

Edited: i am more interested in games than technology, that's the whole purpose of consoles.

Last edited:
at the end they mention platform comparison surprises, i wonder what that means? maybe not much difference at all in 3rd party games? either way looking forward to both now, this gen is gonna be great!

Things that would surprise me with multiplats.

1. The I/O is better in the XSX
2. PS5 running games better
3. PS5 having a higher resolution than XSX.

That's really what I'm not expecting to happen and would really surprise me.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Things that would surprise me with multiplats.

1. The I/O is better in the XSX
2. PS5 running games better
3. PS5 having a higher resolution than XSX.

That's really what I'm not expecting to happen and would really surprise me.

Good summary! Those things definitely WOULD be a HUGE surprise. Well, #2 not so much given everything we've seen so far but still...as a consistent thing it would blow a lot of minds given the theoretical power advantage XSX has. But definitely #1 and #3 would be huge surprises even for dyed in the wool team green fans!

Probably is a bunch about nothing...not anything REALLY mind blowing as far as a "surprise." I was thinking more along the lines of GT7 being a launch title after all or some new social media integration feature that's cool. But we'll see!

Tmack

Digital Foundry

"PS5 is really heavy"

PS5 - 4.5kg or 9.9lbs
XSX - 4.45Kg or 9.81lbs

Those 50 grams must weight a ton

TBH odd and cumbersome shapes can give your the impression that a given item is much heavier than it acctually is.

What the DF really meant is, this object is much harder to carry arround than this other.... and his brain translated as A is heavier than B.

Funny but not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom