• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So presumably these tweaks and customization's are mainly to get the best out of the SSD? I'm also now thinking this has to be custom HBM but I worry about the cost of this and then the final console price.

2 more months....:messenger_anguished:
BOM ~ $600
Retail Price = $500
Loss - $100
Sounds like a safe bet

Is at all reasonable to expect 3D stacked chips?
reasonable

TLZ

Banned
Is at all reasonable to expect 3D stacked chips?

220px-Pringles_chips.JPG

Thanks for making me hungry at 12am :messenger_unamused:

THE:MILKMAN

BOM ~ $600
Retail Price = $500
Loss - $100
Sounds like a safe bet

reasonable

I agree it is a safe bet but it really doesn't jive with Jim Ryan's comments in his last interview. It screamed of selling PS5 faster than PS4 and that just won't be possible at that high a price. The hardcore 2-3 million will pay almost any price but then what about after that? The remaining market is very much price first.

Ar¢tos

But the bar is already too high for the Solid State Drive as some of us are hoping for ReRAM-based SSD. (Not saying it's their fault.)

To be fair though, I'd still be happy for a Nand Flash SSD. It's just that I fail to see how Sony can pull an advantage using nand chips. MS can source from the many Nand Flash SSD vendors (hardware and software) for that enterprise ultra-fast SSD to match whatever Sony is putting out. Unless they're unwilling to match Sony's Nand SSD.
But you can have the same chips with different performances depending on other factors. (normal pcie4 controller vs custom controller, read optimized fw vs general performance fw, etc).

But you can have the same chips with different performances depending on other factors. (normal pcie4 controller vs custom controller, read optimized fw vs general performance fw, etc).

I get that. But I think that other SSD vendors that are already decades in the business must have a stack of patents that can cater to a read-centric need too. Whatever software stack and I/O optimization that Sony have invented could be matched by MS if MS is willing to collaborate or outsource software solutions (assuming MS doesn't have one).

Sony could really have invented a very fast controller and read optimized I/O I have no doubt about that, but I doubt that that kind of technique and technology is exclusive to Sony. Surely other companies especializing in memory storage solutions have an equivalent solution. They can cook one for MS if Ms is willing to.

Last edited:

Racer!

I agree it is a safe bet but it really doesn't jive with Jim Ryan's comments in his last interview. It screamed of selling PS5 faster than PS4 and that just won't be possible at that high a price. The hardcore 2-3 million will pay almost any price but then what about after that? The remaining market is very much price first.

Hardcore market worldwide is much much larger than 2-3 million....more like x10 that.

Then they got 5nm euv in about a year, with 1.8x density....and other options.

They wont be selling PS5`s at a faster rate than PS4 if its not a proper jump in performance.

Last edited:

Hardcore market worldwide is much much larger than 2-3 million....more like x10 that.

Then they got 5nm euv in about a year, with 1.8x density....and other options.

They wont be selling PS5`s at a faster rate than PS4 if its not a proper jump in performance.

In total sure, but I should have been more clear. The 2-3 million is just for PS5 in the first 3-6 months. If this gen is anything to go by then price cuts and console revisions will be at a minimum.

I've said before that pricing the console lower or lower than expected but then keeping it at that price for years instead of coming in higher and then doing regular price cuts is the better way of doing it.

Sony are clearly going to do the above model again going by their globalisation and streamlining changes Jim Ryan talked about in his Gamesindustry interview.

All IMO of course.

ANIMAL1975

So far @VFXVeteran is the only legit, verified/vetted insider I've seen so far. I think the rest of the so-called "insiders" are just fakes, looking for attention and a whole lot of hopeful people keep falling for it.
If my memory doesn't fail on me, this happened because of a tech discussion with N Negotiator and others, where he was constantly bragging to be a programmer, later clarifying that works on a company doing stuff for the military, but with background in the industry (so, something like Klee). Then people started to call him out because of tech mambo jambo he didn't know, or wasn't up to date, and begun to doubt the truth of his professional claims. To my understanding, that was what he asked (or was asked by a mod, because there was warning for derailing the thread) to be vetted for, not for insider informations that he shared, or was claiming to have.

Like we often say in Portugal, "se a minha avó tivesse rodas, seria um camião"

"If my grandmother had wheels, she would be a truck"
Se a ferradura desse sorte o burro não puxava carroças...

The kind of Memory and tech behind Solid State Drive definitely are the most mysterious things about PS5 that Sony puts a super special emphasis on them unlike the GPU and CPU which basically are the same as SeX. Be ready for some huge meltdowns.
What about ram Tommy... not meltdown material winkemogi 😁

?!?
The version I know is :
"se a minha avó tivesse rodas, seria uma trotinete"

Maybe grandmas are bigger in your area.
Já dizia aquele velho ditado: a pressa é inimiga da perfeição... haste is the enemy of perfection.

Rossco EZ

The kind of Memory and tech behind Solid State Drive definitely are the most mysterious things about PS5 that Sony puts a super special emphasis on them unlike the GPU and CPU which basically are the same as SeX. Be ready for some huge meltdowns.
could you say anything more on the cooling solution the ps5 will use? anything at all?

DJ12

possible. ps5 does not use "standard" gddr6 setup thats almost 100% certain. if it they would have said it by now.
So they have given vague details about certain elements of the console tech and you would've expected a reveal about the memory?

Nope, there will be a reveal were we learn the intricacies of the console and that will be that. None of this twice over soft reveal and Twitter shills Microsoft are currently favouring.

TeamGhobad

Banned
So they have given vague details about certain elements of the console tech and you would've expected a reveal about the memory?

Nope, there will be a reveal were we learn the intricacies of the console and that will be that. None of this twice over soft reveal and Twitter shills Microsoft are currently favouring.

they already revealed zen 2 cpu 8 cores and AMD Navi Gpu in that article with cerny. i think even SSD.

Ar¢tos

I get that. But I think that other SSD vendors that are already decades in the business must have a stack of patents that can cater to a read-centric need too. Whatever software stack and I/O optimization that Sony have invented could be matched by MS if MS is willing to collaborate or outsource software solutions (assuming MS doesn't have one).

Sony could really have invented a very fast controller and read optimized I/O I have no doubt about that, but I doubt that that kind of technique and technology is exclusive to Sony. Surely other companies especializing in memory storage solutions have an equivalent solution. They can cook one for MS if Ms is willing to.
Yes, of course. I wasn't even thinking about ms/Sony, just a general approach.
There are already read(-ish) optimized file systems for pc, but since most gaming happens on windows people don't even realize it, windows kinda forces NTFS. But when you deal with Linux/FreeBSD you realize that there are a lot of possible file systems (some dead but still usable , some experimental) , each with its positives and negatives.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Hmmm......All I will say is I very much doubt their $600 guess. What are the current best deals/bundle prices available for One X in the America?

gamestop has them on sale now for 3700kr from 5200kr in sweden, i bought one earlier this week for 1800kr cause i had bonus points. 10kr = 1dollar

Ultradsa

they already revealed zen 2 cpu 8 cores and AMD Navi Gpu in that article with cerny. i think even SSD.

That same Article also states that the gold standard will be Headphones because of the 3d Audio hardware.

Yes, of course. I wasn't even thinking about ms/Sony, just a general approach.
There are already read(-ish) optimized file systems for pc, but since most gaming happens on windows people don't even realize it, windows kinda forces NTFS. But when you deal with Linux/FreeBSD you realize that there are a lot of possible file systems (some dead but still usable , some experimental) , each with its positives and negatives.

Therefore, Sony's and MS's Nand Flash SSD solution shouldn't be that far away in performance unless MS is unwilling to match Sony's. MS can also optimize their SSD, but if not, they can always get help from third-party SSD companies.

or . . . . . :messenger_open_mouth:

TeamGhobad

Banned
That same Article also states that the gold standard will be Headphones because of the 3d Audio hardware.
Therefore, Sony's and MS's Nand Flash SSD solution shouldn't be that far away in performance unless MS is unwilling to match Sony's. MS can also optimize their SSD, but if not, they can always get help from third-party SSD companies.

to me it sounds like sony is doing something very custom with their ssd and ms is just using an off the shelf device.

Ar¢tos

We've seen how different companies prioritize different things. Sony is the one promoting no loadings, so the pressure is on them for fast speed, MS might be OK with stock speed (that is already a massive upgrade over HDDs) and be prioritizing other things. We can't know until specs are out.

xool

PS5 chip being retested most likely they are doing the 2.1GHz tests
Why you think that?

XSX 52CUs (3328 SP) at 1.8GHz, I can see that happening, but 2.1GHz?

DemonCleaner chart shows 2.1GHz OC on first gen Navi will result in 100w penalty compared to 1.8GHz. I'm not saying sony cant surprise people with 400 TDP monster, but with current knowledge 2.1GHz is pretty much unrealistic scenario.
afaik 5700s are first gen 7nm, TSMC's N7P is supposed to give +7% (clocks) at the same power (+10% for N7+ (mobile?)) - which gets it a lot nearer to 2.1GHz (but not quite) from the 1.9GHz the chip mostly ran at ..

Racer!

In total sure, but I should have been more clear. The 2-3 million is just for PS5 in the first 3-6 months. If this gen is anything to go by then price cuts and console revisions will be at a minimum.

I've said before that pricing the console lower or lower than expected but then keeping it at that price for years instead of coming in higher and then doing regular price cuts is the better way of doing it.

Sony are clearly going to do the above model again going by their globalisation and streamlining changes Jim Ryan talked about in his Gamesindustry interview.

All IMO of course.

So youre saying a 399$ 8TF console would sell faster than PS4 and last a long time at a "high price", when lets say Microsoft launches 12TF at 499$? And you believe thats the direction Sony is going to take?

Or did you mean Sony should sell a 13TF machine, take 100$ loss and sell at 449$/499$? Or maybe even 200$ loss and sell at 399$?

Last edited:
to me it sounds like sony is doing something very custom with their ssd and ms is just using an off the shelf device.

We've seen how different companies prioritize different things. Sony is the one promoting no loadings, so the pressure is on them for fast speed, MS might be OK with stock speed (that is already a massive upgrade over HDDs) and be prioritizing other things. We can't know until specs are out.

Therefore, my suggestion that MS might be unwilling to match Sony's solution might be true. I would say bad move on MS part if Sony's SSD is indeed highly optimized and MS is off-the-shelf part.

Ar¢tos

Therefore, my suggestion that MS might be unwilling to match Sony's solution might be true. I would say bad move on MS part if Sony's SSD is indeed highly optimized and MS is off-the-shelf part.
Why? I think 5gb/s is way more than enough and Sony is just wasting resources trying to go higher than that. Players don't mind very short loading times, no need to chase zero loadings.

Why? I think 5gb/s is way more than enough and Sony is just wasting resources trying to go higher than that. Players don't mind very short loading times, no need to chase zero loadings.

It's about that touted Sony SSD advantage. Unless it doesn't exist, then MS shot themselves on the foot by not optimizing their SSD too.

Or maybe Sony's solution really is one of a kind. MS might be customized too but not up to the degree of Sony's.

So youre saying a 399$ 8TF console would sell faster than PS4 and last a long time at a "high price", when lets say Microsoft launches 12TF at 499$? And you believe thats the direction Sony is going to take?

Or did you mean Sony should sell a 13TF machine, take 100$ loss and sell at 449$/499$? Or maybe even 200$ loss and sell at 399$?

I didn't mention anything about 8TF!? but I would err toward lower price ($399/$449) with a loss and then keep the price high for years like they have done with PS4. All this based on what they did with PS4 and what the likes of Jim Ryan has been saying. Keeping as many of their PS+ subs is their main goal and to do that they have to convince the vast majority of more casual gamers (who play one/two games) to buy a PS5 ASAP. They won't at $500/£500.

I have to say as well that I do believe there is a lot of exaggeration of the BOM of various parts. I remember when we found out about PS4's 8GB GDDR5 and everyone was like $200 just for the RAM! Then $399 was announced.....

You'll probably keel over laughing if I gave my estimated cost to MS/Sony for 16GB of GDDR6!

Last edited:

SmokSmog

PS5 chip being retested most likely they are doing the 2.1GHz tests

going from 13.31 to 13.97 TF

(Edit: I must have been sleepy last night because I typed 'most likely' then came back & edited it into 'must likely' lol)
2.1GHZ? WTF You have no clue, 2.1Ghz is long past efficiency clocks. RX 5700XT is consuming 250-300W at 2.1ghz and have only 40cus

Racer!

I didn't mention anything about 8TF!? but I would err toward lower price ($399/$449) with a loss and then keep the price high for years like they have done with PS4. All this based on what they did with PS4 and what the likes of Jim Ryan has been saying. Keeping has many of their PS+ subs is their main goal and to do that they have to convince the vast majority of more casual gamers (who play one/two games) need to buy a PS5 ASAP. They won't at $500/£500.

I have to say as well that I do believe there is a lot of exaggeration of the BOM of various parts. I remember when we found out about PS4's 8GB GDDR5 and everyone was like $200 just for the RAM! Then $399 was announced.....

You'll probably keel over laughing if I gave my estimated cost to MS/Sony for 16GB of GDDR6!

With a 399$ there would be sacrifices, like 8TF and such...or they would have to take a larger hit....or as you say the BOM is an exaggeriation.

I am one of the few that thinks that even 599$ is not too high. This has been taken as gospel, but its just really a wrong extrapolation of what happened with PS3. PS3 was more expensive with less performance than the competition, thats not going to fly in any situation or at any price point.

With the right performance, it would sell like hotcakes even @599$. Granted, that price would have to be lowered in about a year or two, but thats totally doable with 5nm/3nm coming up.

With a 399$ there would be sacrifices, like 8TF and such...or they would have to take a larger hit....or as you say the BOM is an exaggeriation.

I am one of the few that thinks that even 599$ is not too high. This has been taken as gospel, but its just really a wrong extrapolation of what happened with PS3. PS3 was more expensive with less performance than the competition, thats not going to fly in any situation or at any price point.

With the right performance, it would sell like hotcakes even @599$. Granted, that price would have to be lowered in about a year or two, but thats totally doable with 5nm/3nm coming up.

Now we just wait and see which way it goes. Exciting either way!

SmokSmog

Max 1800MHZ for both consoles. Realistic 1600MHZ
powerscaling5xjiu.png

powerscalingfactorp5j2k.png

XBOX Series X 1575mhz 60CUs 12TF with optional 1750MHz 13.4TF last minute upclock.

Playstation 5 unknown number of CUs 1500-1800mhz range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom