• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerlurk

Banned
There was a GDC talk by one of Sony's own devs, in which he said that on the PS4 it took about 190 cycles latency if the data is in the wrong half of the cache. Which was about the same latency as for normal RAM access, so that having the wanted data in cache did not help at all
That could be quite an incentive to use a unified cache, as you have fast access to double the data.

I remember that (Naughty Dog talk March 11, 2014), but not only that, you don't optimize for the limit of smaller cache, you optimize now for a much larger cache, so you know your overall throughput is going to be better. Your data can be dealt with in larger chunks.

Many PC games show more stable and higher frame-rates when dealing with larger CPU caches.

AMD did not call it's L3 CPU cache "Game Cache" for nothing.

Plus, the better/larger your CPU cache is, the more main memory access cycles you leave for the GPU.

The unified cache is a win-win-win! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Only problem is that it's unconfirmed, and goes against the design of every Zen 2 processor released so far.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. Microsoft demonstrated using this to cull geometry months back. There is too much BS going on with these features.
The subject of compute shaders really annoys me honestly because it's so complicated. From what I know both mesh and primitive shaders allow newer and better opportunities for developers in certain areas of the game, especially when it comes to things like tessellation, LOD and saving RAM and storage.

However they do have drawbacks, I believe they don't beat the traditional fixed function hardware when it comes to culling techniques. This is according to the DirectX developer Martin Fuller, the screenshots are taken from his Advanced Mesh Shader tutorial.

RZqM1kP.png

4rlTGZE.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If the systems are close to equal that's a good thing power wise.

But I don't quite understand why anyone would really praise Sony for that unless their solution was cheaper? Is it what left room for the more impressive SSD?

They deserve praise for getting a much faster SSD in the same priced box either way though, as well as their $400 DE offering.
That's why the Bill of Material thread will be interesting...

We will see what it cost to build these consoles.

AeneaGames

From @wellgamer789 twitter
So there it is, switcher it like quick resume

This is like the twentieth tweet in past 24 hours that is not being displayed because the tweeter (twat? 😊) removed it.

Wish the forum would render the tweet internally, take a screenshot of it and then uses that image as the in line content.
Clicking on it could still lead you to the original tweet as always...

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
This is like the twentieth tweet in past 24 hours that is not being displayed because the tweeter (twat? 😊) removed it.

Wish the forum would render the tweet internally, take a screenshot of it and then uses that image as the in line content.
Clicking on it could still lead you to the original tweet as always...
The leaker turned out to be fake. Im not believing any other leak until the embargo lifts on Friday and Digital Foundry and other game sites post their hands on reviews.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

As I talked about in the other thread,

the frustum setup and texturing of the XsX version are not befitting of a 12TF RDNA2 system - regardless of RT or substitute lighting fx - and if they've matched the XsS version to XsX for visuals, but just lowering the resolution, then it already looks like Ubisoft are holding back the XsX with PS Vita/360 frustum setups to accommodate scaling in a linear fashion to the XsS.

I'd speculate that the PS5 version will match the RTX 3080 frustum/texturing, but have RT between the XsX and RTX 3080 version - which will look inferior to the RT on the XsX for detail because the RT rays are then covering 4 times the perspective volume, so are less dense and resolve to lower detail.

If the PS5 has the same frustum setup as the XsX/XsS then multiplatform games are going to be really poor this generation IMHO, and all because of an unnecessary XsS console.

Krisprolls

Banned
Even if it's slightly worse the PS5 will have other advantages. I don't think this will be a repeat of last gen.

Yes, at worst the PS5 version will have a few less fps or upscale to 4K from slightly lower res, you won't see anything on screen.

On the other hand, it will have haptics and adaptive triggers, which are a major competitive advantage, better loading times and a slightly better 3D sound.

So all things considered, it's already probable PS5 will have the best version of every multiplatform game, if only because of haptics and lack of difference elsewhere...

When you add it also has for me and for most people the best exclusives, it's certainly the easy first choice for next gen. At least in my opinion.

Last edited:

FrankWza

If the systems are close to equal that's a good thing power wise.

But I don't quite understand why anyone would really praise Sony for that unless their solution was cheaper? Is it what left room for the more impressive SSD?

They deserve praise for getting a much faster SSD in the same priced box either way though, as well as their $400 DE offering.

the talk was about more power and whenever the Dualsense or SSD were brought up it was poo pooed. If there is parity and the PS5 still has the Dualsense, which looks to be revolutionary by all accounts, as well as the SSD which we already know is, that’s a lot going in their direction. And of course lots of games because, that what it’s all about after all.
True Nekst Gen Eksperience and Eksclusives 11/12. Something’s missing from this....

Loxus

• Developer says CPU is Zen 2 based however the cache is 8MB and unified the same as Zen 3
  • There is NOT an additional cache pool on the GPU (infinity cache) however there is a lot of cache coherency which mitigates a lot of bandwidth issues

I wonder what Moore's Law is Dead has to say about this.
He was pretty confident Infinity Cache is in the PS5.
Both him and RedGamingTech shares information, so you would think he would know better.
And he also said CPU and GPU shares the same cache.

Either RedGamingTech added that dev talk for content, even if it not true or Moore's Law is Dead sources lied?
Man, these Youtubers and their 'sources'.:messenger_dizzy:

renx

I've been following MLID, and he didn't say that.
He just said that the Series X doesn't have Infinity Cache, and so MS is not telling the truth when they say "full RDNA 2".
And then he says that PS4 has some custom features that we would find in RDNA 3 next year.

But honestly, I don't believe that the RGT's leak is a good one. I don't understand why people are overestimating this leak.

But what else is their for them to show at this point?
Reviews from their launch games like The Falconeer or something like Gears Tactics which even tho is already out on PC I think they would want to show how good it plays on consoles and specially on their new system. That's literally what's left to show, more about the games.

renx

I don't know what you guys think. But what I believe is that PS5 will over deliver. It's probably better than expected.
We will see in less than two days.

Honestly, this leak about the GE starting to shine in the second or third generation of games, sounds like an invention where you can't be proven wrong.
That is exactly the opposite to what developers have been saying about the console.

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys think. But what I believe is that PS5 will over deliver. It's probably better than expected.

Honestly, this leak about the GE starting to shine in the second or third generation of games, sounds like an invention where you can't be proven wrong.
That is exactly the opposite to what developers have been saying about the console.
Yeah, so far we haven't seen that "staggering" difference. Some people was saying this was like XOne vs PS4 but in reverse, but by this time last gen we were already hearing PS4 was going to have double the resolution in some games and well, we haven't heard anything like that this time around. Literally the only "difference" we've seen has been "at 60" and "up to 60" and people claim that as proof of the huge advantage in power.
IMO there will be a difference, but a small one, maybe games will run at rock solid 60 on the XSX while on the PS5 games will dip some frames on really demanding scenes. I can see that being the "big" difference between these platforms.

Last edited:

renx

Yeah, so far we haven't seen that "staggering" difference. Some people was saying this was like XOne vs PS4 but in reverse, but by this time last gen we were already hearing PS4 was going to have double the resolution in some games and well, we haven't heard anything like that this time around. Literally the only "difference" we've seen has been "at 60" and "up to 60" and people claim that as proof of the huge advantage in power.

Right, and then we find the Series X dynamic 4K in Gears 5. One of Microsoft's most emblematic games.

But being here in this forum I must admit that I'm a little bit disappointed as Sony didn't even try to feed the "geeks" enthusiasm.
I get that It's understandable, since 99% of people won't care about 10% performance advantage or disadvantage, 5% better or worse framerate, little arch customizations, etc.
But there're communities like this one, or Beyond 3D, etc, that actually care about hardware, and how everything is tuned.

On the other hand, Sony is being serious here. It's like they don't even need to talk.
There was that masterful Cerny conference a few months ago, and now they won't react, even when MS is shouting that their IO throughput can do the same, and that sort of things.

Last edited:
Get your comparisons ready.

Can't wait to see the dynamic 720p/120!
/s
In all seriousness, I never thought we'd see comparisons this soon. I expect to see the same performance targets. Dynamic 4K/60 with better shadows and bigger crowds and some dips in framerate. Dynamic 4K/60 with lower graphical settings and a solid frame rate. And the dynamic 1440p/120 mode with even lower graphical settings.

Can't wait to see the dynamic 720p/120!
/s
In all seriousness, I never thought we'd see comparisons this soon. I expect to see the same performance targets. Dynamic 4K/60 with better shadows and bigger crowds and some dips in framerate. Dynamic 4K/60 with lower graphical settings and a solid frame rate. And the dynamic 1440p/120 mode with even lower graphical settings.
Agree. I expect very close performance in both consoles. Will be very funny to see funboys comparing something like: "in that second, 56FPS for one console and 55FPS for another console". And the other replying: "but if you count dips in framerate, it occurs 5 times in one console and 6 times on other" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

assurdum

Banned
Dictator was already beating his chest about differences between platforms so it’s quite probable that PS5 will have lower res reflections compared to XSX.
Seriously this guy is annoying as hell in his guesses. He starts to put emphasize in Ubisoft word saying they won't to hurt the feel of someone when they said the difference will be visible only to the more expert.

Nickolaidas

General lockdown from tomorrow here in greece so goodbye ps5 at launch date.......see you early december....
I pre-ordered and pre-paid for my ps5 in Public.gr. Problem is, I said I will go to the store to pick it up.

I went there two days ago and told them that due to the lockdown I won't be able to pick it up. They said they'll bring it at my place in such case.

Here's hoping.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Both him and RedGamingTech shares information, so you would think he would know better.
And he also said CPU and GPU shares the same cache.

Either RedGamingTech added that dev talk for content, even if it not true or Moore's Law is Dead sources lied?
Man, these Youtubers and their 'sources'.:messenger_dizzy:

I don't exactly know what MLiD said, but I do remember him alluding to the PS5 having some sort of Infinity Cache but then again I've always been skeptical of his information, he only ever seems to "leak" certain PS5 information after someone else like RGT has already done it, especially the GE and RDNA 3 stuff, I've noticed this for a long time now. As for RGT, he didn't flat out say the PS5 has Infinity Cache but his source just said to him "think" PS Vita, which honestly could mean a lot of things. Although, I always take leaks with a grain of salt so it doesn't bother me.

I don't agree with this this, I think it's very plausible and even falls in line with Mark Cerny's design philosophy of the Playstation 4, funnily enough I shared the following quote yesterday before the leak and it seems to very relevant especially with regards to the long term potential of the PS5 and the Geometry Engine,

"To understand the PS4, you have to take what you know about Cerny's vision for it (easy to use, but powerful in the long term) and marry that to what the company has chosen for its architecture (familiar, but cleverly modified.) That's what he means by "supercharged."

Here's another quote from Mark Cerny in the same interview,

"Ultimately, we are trying to strike a balance between features which you can use day one, and features which will allow the system to evolve over the years, as gaming itself evolves,"

We already know the PS5 is producing amazing results and developers have boasted for a while now about how the PS5 is so easy to develop for, however I think much like the PS4 it will show great long term potential when developers have a much better understanding of the hardware and software and will then be able to exploit "opportunities" the GPU feature set presents. It's the same with the SSD, I don't expect the first wave of games to fully saturate the 5.5 Gb/s bandwidth (unless when it comes to load times) but once developers have grasped and mastered it, I think we'll see some really mind blowing stuff, the Ratchet and Clank gameplay was just the beginning and UE5 demo showed us what the potential is. With regards to the Geometry Engine, it would make sense that it has potential in the long term, allowing complete control of the graphics pipeline and the use of Primitive Shaders amongst other things, taking advantage of such potential will depend on the talent of the developers using it as well as a learning curve which could take a year or two. It's why I believe at the end of this upcoming generation very much like the last, the PS5 first party studios will have the best looking games.

Last edited by a moderator:

qiqiqiiq

Xbox Series S needed to be a machine with a 6 Teraflops RDNA2 GPU and at least the same amount of RAM as the One X, the fact that they announced that backwards compatible games wouldn't run with the One X enhancements was the dealbreaker to me, but now that it turned out to be a dynamic 1080p console makes me wonder how long will it survive before being discontinued.

onesvenus

slightly better 3D sound
Do we really know this? I see it being much better when using headphones but being equal at most when using some kind of home theater or TV speakers, which is how most of the people play I"d say. AFAIK we haven't gotten any impressions about the sound in those situations to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom