• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

assurdum

Banned
1) i read in this very forum that Astro's playground was a game worth buying and something that everyone should play. In my opinion, you can only say that if you haven't played many platformers. All the nostalgia is great but nothing else. I found it quite mediocre in fact, but that's my opinion, anybody has to agree to it.

AC:Vallhalla was my first experience in 4K (no PS4 Pro neither XOX), the details on the textures looked amazing. As I said, I'm not comparing both games, I say that the impact it had on us, being the first game we saw in 4K, was much bigger.

Well, reading this forum and even some of the post answering my post (not yours, to clarify), it seems like PS5 is soooo much better than the XSX. I only say that the impact AC:Vallhalla had to us, being the first game we played in 4K, was bigger.

You people not being able to accept what I think about the PS5 makes you more of a fanboy than me. I never claimed it was better than the XSX, I'm only saying that it didn't cause the same impact it had on me, nothing else.
I mean you said AC Valhalla on series X impressed you more and everything about the ps5 just doesn't fit your expectation, the graphic on the exclusives neither haptiv feedback. Are you that sure the fanboy it's just me there? Because seems more damage control such assumptions.

Last edited:
Get the team that built Astro's Playroom to remake this:
61Q9XW7YZWL._SX342_.jpg

Think of all the zany shit those silly apes could get up to with the power of PS5. Think of the classic PlayStation game references.

TheAssist

First impressions of the PS5:
- Astro's playground feels like a really bad platformer. I understand it's free but it did nothing for me
- Haptics were so overrated that made my head hurt. If Astro's playground was the prime example of it, those are not really revolutionary. Yes, you can feel different surfaces because the vibration pattern is different but nothing else.
- Triggers are indeed a revolution. Really love the resistance and hope 3rd parties really embrace them
- Installation times are horrible. I installed both Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and it took more than 10 minutes each one. I thought that was a thing of the past but it doesn't seem so.
- Miles Morales seems to be amazing
- Demon's Souls really feels like an old game with a new coat of paint. It looks great, although I expected more

All in all, I think people were really overhyping everything. My friends and me got together last week to try AC:Vallhalla on the XSX and were more impressed. I suppose already having seen games in 4k a week ago really spoiled the next gen jump for us.
It's by no means the huge difference some posters here were saying regarding the XSX.

Don't take me wrong, those two games are great launch titles but reading some posts here it seems like it should feel like a different generation than the XSX

Well I do disagree with your feeling about Astro :D. Its kinda just a simple fun game.
Anyway. I knew haptic feedback from my phone, so I already knew what to expect, its just a stronger version of that. They did overhype it a bit, thats true. But feeling the adaptive triggers for the first time....damn. Really cool. Some thing feels better with the haptic feedback, like the rain dripping on the umbrella or these little chips you roll over as a ball.
The funny thing was, when I played Ghost of Tsushima afterwards and the wind started blowingmy mind was already like "wait, why dont I feel the wind?"
I do believe that after some getting used to the Dual Sense its really hard going back to anything else. Yes it does require good implementation, but if its done right, it feels amazing.

Spiderman imho doesnt have a worthwhile implementation btw.

Rob_27

Didn't want to make a new thread just yet. But how do you tell if a PS4 game like TLOU2 has been patched for PS5? This is installing from a disc btw.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Didn't want to make a new thread just yet. But how do you tell if a PS4 game like TLOU2 has been patched for PS5? This is installing from a disc btw.
There is no PS5 patch for TLOU2.. it should just install the latest PS4 patch for you.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cheers. Thought the dual sense was patched in but maybe that was in the PS4 at some stage and not when you load it on PS5.
Yeah the patches that Sony has put out are for the PS4 version of games; just the nature of how their BC works.

Last edited:

NEbeast

Is there any way to download more than one thing at a time? I cant find anything in settings. It d/ls one and puts the rest in a queue.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

its crazy how much money they are spending on frivilous shit like this but wont spend a day of work to unlock framerates in gow, horizon, tlou2, bloodborne and the last guardian. its literally opening a text file and setting the value to 60 fps instead of 30.

corporations man ... adverts and sales are the most important things

MrFunSocks

Banned

Ok so this gives us the information we needed in the thread about this game lol.

4K mode on xbox has a dodgy framerate.
1080p mode on xbox is 60fps.
1080p mode with no raytracing on PS5 is 60fps.
1080p mode with raytracing on PS5 has an even dodgier framerate than Xbox's 4K mode.

So all in all, this game is equally bad on both consoles outside of 1080p with no raytracing.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
Ok so this gives us the information we needed in the thread about this game lol.

1080p mode on xbox is locked 60fps.
1080p mode with no raytracing on PS5 is locked 60fps.
1080p mode with raytracing on PS5 has an even dodgier framerate than Xbox's 4K mode.

So all in all, this game is equally bad on both consoles outside of 1080p with no raytracing.
Yawwwwn, just enjoy your inferior box man. It is okay

Fanboys on twitter are nuts.

If so called insiders know about this big tool api upgrade for SX, why didn't they say anything before? Why wait until now to have this realization about everything is behind.

That's how you know they're full of shit.

Unfortunately I've seen some people believe in an emergency update they would make the XSX 50% more powerful than the PS5.

I mean when has this ever happened in the history of gaming?

Last edited:

Garani

[...]
Well, at least Sony A8H 55" oled is 1299€ (normal price is 1899€) tomorrow so maybe I just buy it and watch some damn cat videos:messenger_savoring:

Cat videos for the win!

Anyhow, my choosen retailer had issues with my payment (they did get it, but misplaced it, and after finding it they re-instated the order). Now I can see the order as "shipped", but can't get into it to check and didn't received any tracking number, like I should.

End story short, no one delivered my PS5 today, the support help line doesn't pickup calls, I may be shafted after all.

sircaw

Banned

1080p mode on xbox is 60fps.
1080p mode with no raytracing on PS5 is 60fps.

Aren't these guys making that new game on Xbox?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Unfortunately I've seen some people believe in an emergency update they would make the XSX 50% more powerful than the PS5.

I mean when has this ever happened in the history of gaming?
Some people believe the earth is flat and that coronavirus isn't real and that 5G chips are going to be implanted in you. You need to stop listening to the idiots and then basing an entire fanbase on them. You consistently do it too, attacking the xbox and their players based on things that the extreme morons said. It doesn't help anyone, it's just console warring.

Fanboys on twitter are nuts.

If so called insiders know about this big tool api upgrade for SX, why didn't they say anything before? Why wait until now to have this realization about everything is behind.

That's how you know they're full of shit.
Everything started here:

If you look at the numbers there is simply no doubt that the XSX is, on paper, the more powerful machine. However again, speaking to developers the development environment they are dealing with some people seem to be extremely happy with it, other people are having problems with it because they've moved away from what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK which is a more general development environment for PC and for Xbox and even Xbox one is encompassed by the GDK.
And now somehow the problem is the tools are not mature hmmmmm. I have no doubt the tools for both machines are not finished, but to say the tools are in its infancy just doesn't really sound believable to me.
I think this comment from Richard just confirms that everything will depend from the talent and the ease of development from each studio and machine.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Yes, they are. Anyhow I have that game on PC and I found it boring as fuck. I guess I am not their audience, after all. Too bad because the concept is nice.

aye i really the look of the concept, It's a bit sad if its that bad, i was hoping it would be a little gem.

I've never seen software tools dramatically change anything.

I mean the PS3 was an interesting case but while the tools improved for it, it didn't over take the 360 in the majority of multiplatform comparisons.

Something is seriously wrong if the most powerful system (according to Microsofts marketing) isn't capable of easily beating a theoretically much weaker one. I'm not sure if everything can be blamed on "just tools".

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Everything started here:

And now somehow the problem is the tools are not mature hmmmmm. I have no doubt the tools for both machines are not finished, but to say the tools are in its infancy just doesn't really sound believable to me.

Remember a while back the narrative was about how Microsoft/Xbox have superior software over the PS5 because they're yunno....a software company lol funny how things have turned out lol

Remember a while back the narrative was about how Microsoft/Xbox have superior software over the PS5 because they're yunno....a software company lol funny how things have turned out lol
Indeed, I also remember some people saying that swithching to GDK was an advantage because it would be so easy to develop for the XSX and now that's the excuse they use as to why the XSX is not living up to their expectations, lol.

PaintTinJr

Tell the truth, how many cards did you use to get all the trophies. "lollipop_disappointed:

and give us a rating out of 10 goddammit, how was the game? :messenger_beaming:
My rating is that it is a massive (family) win (10).

The pad is three times too big for my youngest - she still can't play Nintendo games very well, wiimote sword swinging in Nintendo Land being the high point along with small success with Pac-man Championship edition on Vita(from PSP), MK8 DX with wheel set and auto drive is still not plain sailing - but today she has finally entered the world of platform gaming, and loves it. The pad feedback probably helps with engagement and concentration and the mini tutorials in the corner really bring the whole thing to the masses IMHO. Youngest and even the better half were very well entertained by it.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
My rating is that it is a massive (family) win (10).

The pad is three times too big for my youngest - she still can't play Nintendo games very well, wiimote sword swinging in Nintendo Land being the high point along with small success with Pac-man Championship edition on Vita(from PSP), MK8 DX with wheel set and auto drive is still not plain sailing - but today she has finally entered the world of platform gaming, and loves it. The pad feedback probably helps with engagement and concentration and the mini tutorials in the corner really bring the whole thing to the masses IMHO. Youngest and even the better half were very well entertained by it.

Awesome post, happy for you and the young one, that's what games are about.

I hope this is true because it would mean a new onimusha. Im a little bit suspicious that this is a fake, largely due to the translation of resident evil 4. If this were a direct machine translation it would say "Bio Hazard 4 remake", but the English text magically translates it to "Resident Evil" instead.

Tell the truth, how many cards did you use to get all the trophies. "lollipop_disappointed:

and give us a rating out of 10 goddammit, how was the game? :messenger_beaming:

haha 😂
I used the cards maybe 5/6 times for pesky collectibles.
The cards are brilliant and knew exactly which ones I needed and instantly showed the videos.

If I scored the game I’d say 8.5 out of 10.
About 4 hours long but had so many nostalgic items/scenes that everyone who can should play it.
Plus it’s free so no excuses 😬

I mean the PS3 was an interesting case but while the tools improved for it, it didn't over take the 360 in the majority of multiplatform comparisons.

Something is seriously wrong if the most powerful system (according to Microsofts marketing) isn't capable of easily beating a theoretically much weaker one. I'm not sure if everything can be blamed on "just tools".
TOOLS TOOLS TOOLS !!!! It's all i've been hearing for the past few days now. TOOLS TOOLS TOOLS !!! Fuck the tools. It's not the tools. This tools shit has already been debunked by a developer on Reeee.

Uncle Phil and his PR team have been purposely shouting this shit from the rooftops for months while Sony was busy in the background getting their shit ready for launch. You nary heard a word from PlayStation leading up to the launch, meanwhile Phil is wiggling his ass all over in interviews left and right. Shoulda concentrated on getting his developers and their shit together to get Craig out the door in an acceptable state.

There's are a few fuckheads on social media claiming there will be a 30 - 40% improvement over PS5 when the Series X tools are updated. Rubbish. Next you're going to hear Xbox have not enabled some RDNA2 features. Horseshit.

Spencer needs to go and take that tub of lard Greenberg with him and Xbox zealots need to STFU and enjoy the crow. I'm happy to keep up the supply of servings.

Fucking TOOLS my ass

tenor.gif

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
haha 😂
I used the cards maybe 5/6 times for pesky collectibles.
The cards are brilliant and knew exactly which ones I needed and instantly showed the videos.

If I scored the game I’d say 8.5 out of 10.
About 4 hours long but had so many nostalgic items/scenes that everyone who can should play it.
Plus it’s free so no excuses 😬

HAHA busted, so glad you enjoyed it. :messenger_beaming:

Ptarmiganx2

The only milkmaids i remember were those young Swedish women on the euro vision a few years ago, churning butter i think it was. I have memories of that for some reason, not sure why.
I cannot blame you! Scandinavian women are the best! One finally broke me and I wifed her up. Although thinking about a divorce after she snagged a PS5 and I didn't! What is mine is hers and what is hers is hers! I'm still gaming on the PS4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom