• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Exterminate Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

Prepare yourself ethomaz ethomaz
Is that bad there?

Neo Blaster

So? That's not the argument being made here. It is inexcusable that highly anticipated sequels won't be taking full advantage of next gen
My argument is that you're implying PS4 launch was better than PS5's just because of some low graded next gen only games, but it's not. What did we have on 2013, Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall? Just compare those games to DS, SMM, Sackboy and Astro's Playroom, some being crossgen.

Besides, we have 3 crossgen FP titles so far, you make it sound like all of them will be crossgen.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The expectations of what "a game" is have grown over the years, including over the last 7-8 years since the last launch. The costs associated with them, the time they take to develop, the size of the games are expected to be bigger.

It's only natural that as games take many years to develop, that it'll take longer for games to abandon last-gen tech. Even the ones that are exclusive to a gen early on likely have deep tech roots in last-gen technology as there isn't enough time to develop next-gen engines.

Yes there are games like Ratchet and Clank who have a design feature that would require obnoxious load times or really low detailed worlds to pull off w/o SSD, but that game still is going to likely be based on an engine built and built upon years ago.

Sequels like Horizon FW began development likely directly after Horizon ZD was released... that was 4 years ago, before the PS5 was anything more than theory. Even if they did in 2019 or so ditch the PS4 version, the game would be largely designed.. they'd be upgrading their engine the same as they are doing now w/ the dual PS4 release.. we likely would not see any big difference in what they'd be able to produce by later in 2021 if they had ditched the PS4 version. Could they have added some stuff that maybe wasn't possible? I dunno... honestly should be up to the developer.. do they have some vision for their game that would only work w/ a better CPU and the SSD? Then let them at it.. if not, there's not even really a "Gamer" reason to ditch the last gen version, let alone a "Business" reason.

hussar16

This is one of the worst gens I've ever seen on top of it being almost impossible to get the console, the games are nothing special Sony brought lackluster expansion game and a remake and xbox didnt bring anything ,first year ever where I'm just staying with my old console and havent turned that on either. Maybe that huge ip will bring some new excitement to these new consoles because right now 60fps on old games ain't cutting it

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is one of the worst gens I've ever seen on top of it being almost impossible to get the console, the games are nothing special Sony brought lackluster expansion game and a remake and xbox didnt bring anything ,first year ever where I'm just staying with my old console and havent turned that on either. Maybe that huge ip will bring some new excitement to these new consoles because right now 60fps on old games ain't cutting it
Hah; this is my favorite start to a gen probably ever.

But I have a large PS4 backlog and am impatient; so the amazingly low loading times and great performance for last-gen titles is perfect for me.

And stuff like Spiderman Remastered to me is jaw-dropping from a graphics standpoint.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales has a metacritic score of 85. In what universe is that lacklustre?

And your "remake" (as if that's inherently a bad thing) is a remake of fucking Demon's Souls, i.e. one of the most celebrated games of the PS3 generation, and the games that spawned an entirely new sub-genre (i.e. Soulslike).

You're attempt at being disingenuously reductive has fallen flat, i'm afraid. Try again next time.

Duskgolem "I know that water is wet. See everyone, I'm a prophet. I'm so precious. Everyone look at me!"

Last edited:

onesvenus

Spoiler - PS5 is better.

PS5 has better image quality cuz its 12 bit color output vs XSX being limited to 10 bit color. And XSX has some skipped frames / stutter during 24 Hz playback.

Both are fine for most people. And dedicated BD players can often be better than consoles.
The 10 bit color seems weird when you can select 12bit output in the UI

onesvenus

He said they tried and couldn't get it to work. Or if it is 12 bit then something else is causing the additional banding and other issues.
No no, it's not playing at 12 bits, the LG CX was showing 10 bits.
I say it is weird because you can force 12 bits in the Xbox UI and then when you are playing or on the UI, the CX correctly reports 12 bits.
I suppose it has something to do with the BluRay player app.

Anyway, that's another win for the PS5 I guess xD

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

well, you can run anything at 60 fps if you downgrade it enough. Insomniac had to cut the resolution by half to 1440p and then add dynamic scaling all the way down to 1080p just to ensure a locked 60 fps. And it still wasnt enough so they had to reduce traffic density, NPC counts, and even lighting effects. To me that is more of a hardware limitation rather than a pandemic issue.

Maybe when dev start coding for the geometry engine and mesh shaders, it will free up some GPU resources for RT, but if they go for a 1440p 30 fps mode, i still dont see how they can push out a 60 fps 1080p version without downgrading more than just resolution.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I personally thought Miles was fantastic. Even better than the first in terms of storytelling, pacing, combat and graphics. The game looked absolutely insane in RT mode at times despite being a last gen game. That remake was also excellent and not only looks but also plays better than any of the recent Souls games. Astrobot is an incredible experience. A delight to play thanks to the dualsense features. I havent even played Sackboy yet, but I hear it's another great game. At 79 metacritic, it's very close to being considered great. Way better than the trash Sony put out last gen with KZSF and Knack delivering some of the most lackluster campaigns ever. Only resogun was on par with what Sony has released so far.

I agree that the start of the year has been a bit lackluster. No one wants to play trash like Destruction Allstars and Returnal, but hopefully Kena and Ratchet get spring release dates and we start seeing some demos of games like Battlefield 6, Horizon, GT7 and GoW to get us hyped up for the second half of the year.

TBH, had cyberpunk been a next gen only release and launched with the consoles in the state the PC version launched at, we wouldve easily had the best launch lineup since maybe the xbox and gamecube launches.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
well, you can run anything at 60 fps if you downgrade it enough. Insomniac had to cut the resolution by half to 1440p and then add dynamic scaling all the way down to 1080p just to ensure a locked 60 fps. And it still wasnt enough so they had to reduce traffic density, NPC counts, and even lighting effects. To me that is more of a hardware limitation rather than a pandemic issue.

Maybe when dev start coding for the geometry engine and mesh shaders, it will free up some GPU resources for RT, but if they go for a 1440p 30 fps mode, i still dont see how they can push out a 60 fps 1080p version without downgrading more than just resolution.
It's also a cross-gen game with added paint, which falls in line with his earlier (optimization) comment about adding spectacle to cross-gen (basically last gen) versus ground up builds for this gen. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Godfavor

Even in graphics. There is nothing like Ryse son of rome or killzone shadowfall when the previous "underpowered" console gen was released. Or 2 gens back with project gotham racing 3.

It seems that the mid gen refresh took some of the wow factor out.

Might be better if both companies stop using cross gen games and use more new tech of the rdna 2, A.I. and ssd asset streaming.

SSfox

It's not necessarily next gen topic, but really cool GOW review by Jaff for those interested.

I like how he's super honest, he likes the game and all but also don't he like other things like much Baldur voice acting and Kratos with Beard, i could never imagine there will be somebody in the earth that doesn't like Kratos beard lol

ethomaz

Banned
Spoiler - PS5 is better.

PS5 has better image quality cuz its 12 bit color output vs XSX being limited to 10 bit color. And XSX has some skipped frames / stutter during 24 Hz playback.

Both are fine for most people. And dedicated BD players can often be better than consoles.
Maybe in 4:4:4 chroma Xbox can become better, no? PS5 runs at 4:2:2.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales has a metacritic score of 85. In what universe is that lacklustre?

And your "remake" (as if that's inherently a bad thing) is a remake of fucking Demon's Souls, i.e. one of the most celebrated games of the PS3 generation, and the games that spawned an entirely new sub-genre (i.e. Soulslike).

You're attempt at being disingenuously reductive has fallen flat, i'm afraid. Try again next time.

Duskgolem "I know that water is wet. See everyone, I'm a prophet. I'm so precious. Everyone look at me!"

Not to mention that the FF7 Remake is fantastic as well. :messenger_bicep:

FrankWza

It will be tougher to justify a dedicated player if they could patch in DV. Overall the system is great but if they can add DV to that VRR patch they’ll get a nice boost for game and video applications.

kyliethicc

I just want to know if they are going to update RDR2 like they are going with GTAV.

Also, I am seeing more traction on RDR Remake starting to buzz around as well.
Red Dead Redemption remade at the same quality as Red Dead Redemption 2 would be insane.

I'd love to be able to finish RDR2 first and then play RDR and be able to enjoy both at the same fidelity and engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom