• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Insomniac was bought by Sony, here's what they had to say (during Spider-Man development.)

Ar15lza.jpg

DZ1oHBX.jpg
Seems like 2nd party is a more precise way to describe who owns the development studio making a game. There is a difference between owning the IP and owning the development studio. Something like Super Lucky's Tale would be considered 1st party because it was published by MS but of course that game is on Switch and PlayStation too and I don't believe MS owns the IP. How would Minecraft and Minecraft Dungeons be classified; 1st party? 3rd? MS owns the IP and published the game yet its on multiple platforms. It can get pretty confusing if you break it down to just 'if at platform owner publishes the game its 1st party'. For Insomniac it's moot of course seeing how they are wholly owned by Sony today; anything they do specially is 1st party.

kyliethicc

Seems like 2nd party is a more precise way to describe who owns the development studio making a game. There is a difference between owning the IP and owning the development studio. Something like Super Lucky's Tale would be considered 1st party because it was published by MS but of course that game is on Switch and PlayStation too and I don't believe MS owns the IP. How would Minecraft and Minecraft Dungeons be classified; 1st party? 3rd? MS owns the IP and published the game yet its on multiple platforms. It can get pretty confusing if you break it down to just 'if at platform owner publishes the game its 1st party'. For Insomniac it's moot of course seeing how they are wholly owned by Sony today; anything they do specially is 1st party.
Minecraft is a 1st party game on Xbox and a 3rd party game on PlayStation and Nintendo.

Its quite simple.

1st party game means the publisher of the game also makes the hardware.
3rd party game means the publisher of the game does not.

1st party dev means the owner of the dev also makes the hardware.
3rd party dev means the owner of the dev does not.

assurdum

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's something like a professional with experience in processor design talking with enthusiasts. Of course he could be wrong in some points. He is not a God. But it's hard man. He's tough.
I mean, I haven't absolutely the same level of knowledge of leviathan, I'm just an enthusiast but more or less I understood the logic behind the development. I already suspected mesh shaders doesn't required magically hardware architecture engineering but still people fallen again in the MS propaganda. Jeez even VRS was on some PS4 engine, really someone here is convinced everything can be replicated just via hardware? Though there is a lot of confusion about mesh shaders in RDNA2 and what really is, but seems really absurd argue GE on ps5 can't use any mesh shaders because just "full RDNA2 does it".

Last edited:
I mean, I haven't absolutely the same level of knowledge of leviathan, I'm just an enthusiast but more or less I understood the logic behind the development. I already suspected mesh shaders doesn't required magically hardware architecture engineering but still people fallen again in the MS propaganda.

When Cerny said the Geometry Engine was fully programmable I always wondered what that meant. Maybe since it's fully programmable it's possible to use it for VRS?

I understand the benefits of having dedicated hardware. Like for example the decompressor in the PS5 frees the CPU of decompression work. But just because you don't have dedicated hardware doesn't mean you can't use other things to compete a task. On PCs decompression is done via the CPU instead of a hardware decompressor for example.

I mean, I haven't absolutely the same level of knowledge of leviathan, I'm just an enthusiast but more or less I understood the logic behind the development. I already suspected mesh shaders doesn't required magically hardware architecture engineering but still people fallen again in the MS propaganda. Jeez even VRS was on some PS4 engine, really someone here is convinced everything can be replicated just via hardware? Though there is a lot of confusion about mesh shaders in RDNA2 and what really is.
Yep, i'm enthusiast too. I worked 10~15 years developing software, but not for games industry. No program shaders :messenger_tears_of_joy: Games hardware and software are just hobby for me. And i appreciate when the real professionals like LeviathanGamer2 and Cherno shares some of their experience to us.

Last edited:
Minecraft is a 1st party game on Xbox and a 3rd party game on PlayStation and Nintendo.

Its quite simple.

1st party game means the publisher of the game also makes the hardware.
3rd party game means the publisher of the game does not.

1st party dev means the owner of the dev also makes the hardware.
3rd party dev means the owner of the dev does not.
So Sackboy A Big Adventure is a 3rd party developed 1st party published game? And that is easier that just saying its a 2nd party game? It just seems like calling it 2nd party indicating that the IP is owned by the platform owner even if they didn't develop the game is easier. Publishing is assumed by both 1st and 2nd party titles to be by the platform owner. I never thought 2nd party was an unnecessary term especially when dealing with the specifics of who developed the title.

assurdum

Banned
When Cerny said the Geometry Engine was fully programmable I always wondered what that meant. Maybe since it's fully programmable it's possible to use it for VRS?

I understand the benefits of having dedicated hardware. Like for example the decompressor in the PS5 frees the CPU of decompression work. But just because you don't have dedicated hardware doesn't mean you can't use other things to compete a task. On PCs decompression is done via the CPU instead of a hardware decompressor for example.
But GE is a dedicated hardware for stuff as VRS and mesh shaders.I guess the ps5 GE gives the opportunity to place you before processes as vrs and mesh shaders, and define them in a better way. A very approximative explanation eh but that's why probably Cerny never used word as vrs or mesh shaders in his panels.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So Sackboy A Big Adventure is a 3rd party developed 1st party published game? And that is easier that just saying its a 2nd party game? It just seems like calling it 2nd party indicating that the IP is owned by the platform owner even if they didn't develop the game is easier. Publishing is assumed by both 1st and 2nd party titles to be by the platform owner. I never thought 2nd party was an unnecessary term especially when dealing with the specifics of who developed the title.
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a 1st party PlayStation game. It was developed by Sumo Digital, an independent game developer.

If you wanna call the game/dev 2nd party, go ahead.

1st party, 2nd party 3rd party are about ownership.

2nd party is only applicable when ownership isn't black and white, as was the case during the Nintendo/Rare days. It's a redundant term outside of those exceptions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, you just call it a First Party Game. Publisher dictates, not the contracted development house.

They literally own the Sackboy IP. It really isn't that hard.

Last edited:
But GE is a dedicated hardware for stuff as VRS and mesh shaders.I guess the ps5 GE gives the opportunity to place you before processes as vrs and mesh shaders, and define them in a better way. A very approximative explanation eh but that's why probably Cerny never used word as vrs or mesh shaders in his panels.

I guess what Metro proves is that VRS is possible on the PS5. What developers use to do it with I have no idea. Maybe they are using the GE or something else but it is indeed possible.

Anyways the main take behind this is that VRS is used to help save performance. Which is what VRS will do on the PS5. How much performance is saved is the real question.

assurdum

Banned
I guess what Metro proves is that VRS is possible on the PS5. What developers use to do it with I have no idea. Maybe they are using the GE or something else but it is indeed possible.

Anyways the main take behind this is that VRS is used to help save performance. Which is what VRS will do on the PS5. How much performance is saved is the real question.
VRS was possible even on PS4...

Oh it's not that tough to understand :pie_smirking:

Some people were acting like games would use it on tbe XSX and not the PS5 but then we have the Metro developers using it on both. I'm not saying that having it function through dedicated hardware isn't important but you can still use other hardware for it. Maybe VRS will save more performance on the XSX than the PS5 but it will save performance on both.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Xbox Series S RAM Not an Issue, But GPU Performance Presents Challenges for Future Titles – 4A Games

The RAM is not an issue for us (currently), but GPU performance presents challenges for future titles. Our current renderer is designed for high spatial and temporal resolution (read: 4K @ 60 fps). It is stochastic by nature. Dropping any of those would require us to do more expensive calculations dropping performance even further. We have a compromise solution right now, but I am not satisfied with it yet.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He's not random twitter guy. I know him a bit.

But there's some "Random neogaf guys" who claims some knowledge.
Can you explain what you are even trying to link to?

Is this still the "mesh shaders are just software and could be on RDNA 1" stuff?

I don't understand why I'm supposed to trust this 1,000 follower random twitter user over MS/AMD.

Last edited:

DJ12

From what I watched, pretty stupid to have performance mode @1080p60 when quality mode barely drops below 60 anyway.

Microsoft does not have VRS trademarked lol

But yes, MS has their SDK which supported VRS on nVidia Turing and now on AMD RDNA 2.

Does Sony have the same hardware from AMD? Do they just not have an SDK for it? Or do they have their own hardware (GE) for it?

Nobody knows. Everyone is making assumptions, I don't think any of them are particularly good but any of them could be true.

If I had to guess, I would guess Sony has the same hardware as AMD/XSX and either doesn't have an API yet or devs aren't using it because they are doing ports from PS4, so are just using their own software solutions.
Microsoft patented their implementation of how VRS is processed through Direct X, one of the many reasons why clowns in this thread claimed PS5 wouldn't support it. Just go back a few thousand pages for the lols.

AMD have their own patented VRS solution, I also believe Sony has their own too.

So, there's at least 2 VRS implementations available to Sony.

No, you just call it a First Party Game. Publisher dictates, not the contracted development house.

They literally own the Sackboy IP. It really isn't that hard.
I also noted that publishing alone does not dictate ownership of the IP. My only point is 2nd party seems more precise than simply everything that a platform owner publishes is 1st party which isn't true.

DaGwaphics

Can someone with a greater knowledge pinpoint where exactly this mysterious hardware component which keeps accelarating VRS through spacetime is situated within XSX's GPU? I am completely in the dark about the matter (not because it's space).
AMD has a few patents regarding their technique as does nVidia for touring. Maybe you could start researching there. 🤷‍♂️

Both nVidia and AMD list only their latest GPUs (dating back to turing for nVidia) as being compatible, so, seems like there would be some kind of HW change.

IntentionalPun

Microsoft patented their implementation of how VRS is processed through Direct X, one of the many reasons why clowns in this thread claimed PS5 wouldn't support it. Just go back a few thousand pages for the lols.

AMD have their own patented VRS solution, I also believe Sony has their own too.

So, there's at least 2 VRS implementations available to Sony.

Ok?

The post I was responding to said they had the term trademarked. Nobody has the term trademarked, it's a generic term used by all the tech companies with an implementation (software, hardware.)

Last edited:

Lysandros

AMD has a few patents regarding their technique as does nVidia for touring. Maybe you could start researching there. 🤷‍♂️

Both nVidia and AMD list only their latest GPUs (dating back to turing for nVidia) as being compatible, so, seems like there would be some kind of HW change.
Thanks, i'll try..

IntentionalPun

Can someone with a greater knowledge pinpoint where exactly this mysterious hardware component which keeps accelarating VRS through spacetime is situated within XSX's GPU? I am completely in the dark about the matter (not because it's space).
When I was searching the other day, all I could really find was the MS Hot Chips slide that said VRS added a "tiny area cost" for a big perf boost:

XSX-13.jpg

I would assume that's implying a small unit of some sort on the die.

Other than that, AMD describes it as VRS supported "in hardware" here:

VRS is hardware supported on AMD RDNA 2 architecture graphics cards such as the AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I also noted that publishing alone does not dictate ownership of the IP. My only point is 2nd party seems more precise than simply everything that a platform owner publishes is 1st party which isn't true.
This is true as well, usually when it's already 3rd party more often than not. Sekiro as a recent example.

Can you explain what you are even trying to link to?

Is this still the "mesh shaders are just software and could be on RDNA 1" stuff?

I don't understand why I'm supposed to trust this 1,000 follower random twitter user over MS/AMD.
I didn't saw your sources showing the specific Mesh Shaders hardware modifications. Can you show to us?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I didn't saw your sources showing the specific Mesh Shaders hardware modifications. Can you show to us?
Microsoft calls it out a "Mesh Shading Geometry Engine" on their GPU block diagram:

XSX-10.jpg

So this is an advancement of the GE from RDNA 1 most likely.

The assumption is Sony's custom GE is doing something similar.. but it's not AMD's Mesh Shader hardware implementation.

And nVidia uses a combo of what they Task Shader Unit and Mesh Shader Unit:

But either way.. you never answered any of my questions the other day. You really think AMD of all companies is going to develop a software solution for something that nVidia does in hardware, and then hide it behind RNDA 2, locking out RDNA 1 cards?

Sounds like the least AMD thing ever.

Last edited:
Microsoft calls it out a "Mesh Shading Geometry Engine" on their GPU block diagram:
Possible, but not confirmed. You're just supposing from your "random thoughts".
But either way.. you never answered any of my questions the other day. You really think AMD of all companies is going to develop a software solution for something that nVidia does in hardware, and then hide it behind RNDA 2, locking out RDNA 1 cards?

Sounds like the least AMD thing ever.
AMD is developing their super resolution for RDNA 2. Where are the Tensor Cores? There's no accelerated hardware, only shaders. Why you assume they're made hardware modifications for Mesh Shaders? More random thoughts coming for you.

So, you called LeviathanGamer2 random maybe because you don't have technical knowledge to argue with his tweets. It's your chance to shine.

Last edited:

Lysandros

When I was searching the other day, all I could really find was the MS Hot Chips slide that said VRS added a "tiny area cost" for a big perf boost:

XSX-13.jpg

I would assume that's implying a small unit of some sort on the die.

Other than that, AMD describes it as VRS supported "in hardware" here:

Thanks for this, looks to be a small hardware component indeed. Maybe this could be located on XSX die and compared to PS5's to see if Sony's machine truly lacks it. But it must be a difficult task i guess, especially if it's too tiny or if we don't have an idea about the area where it is implemented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom