• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
AS i said i might have read him wrong and you sound disturbed jumping and calling people fanboys just because they arent fantasising with ur ideas. Infact it takes a fanboy to know one so you must be the mother of all xbox fanboys. Likewise

idiot hitting GIF

skit_data

AS i said i might have read him wrong and you sound disturbed jumping and calling people fanboys just because they arent fantasising with ur ideas. Infact it takes a fanboy to know one so you must be the mother of all xbox fanboys. Likewise
No you are jumping people trying to reason around a subject matter because of your poor interpretation of a sentence.

”Mother of all Xbox fanboys”, i hope the mods make that my tag. Ive never owned an Xbox and the only consoles on my TV-desk atm are a PS3, PS4 and a PS5.

Locuza

It is not true. The power budget for SoC PS5 is designed in such a way that there is no need to choose anything, it is enough to power both the CPU and the GPU. You just really misunderstand how variable frequency works. And all this was done for the sake of maximum efficiency, maximum efficiency when it is needed in every cycle. The most interesting thing is that you do not realize that Xbox Series X will suffer more from a lack of power when all GPU computing units are loaded (it also has a power supply unit of lower power), because they will consume the most energy, as well as simd instructions for the CPUs (AVX2) consume a lot of power as well. However, this is not all for the sake of dispute, I just know that you are mistaken in this case. With all due respect.
No it's not.
The PS5's priority power system is designed to take into account the actual load with a constant voltage applied to the SoC. The variable frequency of the CPU and GPU is chosen in order to flexibly distribute the entire power package allocated to the SoC by tracking activity. I am surprised why everyone thinks that by seriously loading the CPU, the GPU will automatically downclock the frequency. It will drop only if it is not loaded enough and the CPU needs more voltage. If the load is so high that it loads the CPU and GPU by 100% each cycle (which is an almost unrealistic scenario), then to avoid overloading, the monitoring system will either slightly reduce the overall frequency for the CPU and GPU, or, based on activity data, select a higher priority option, for the CPU or for the GPU. You can think for yourself what will happen to the XsX chip in the same scenario.
Words of Mark Evan Cerny from himself as your proof.
Your analysis does not take into account the time granularity of smart shift, which is rumoured to be 2 ms and looking at it from a PC perspective rather than an APU..

You are trying to look at the power and frequency usage as an average.

In any 2 ms, both CPU and GPU can have different levels of activities and across a frame this is not the same as a PC average analysis.

See spiderman example

Gp6UMYl.png

The final 2 data points are 6700 clocks and the fact that turning off the centrifugal fan on ps5 for games tested and ps5 kept going for a long time. This suggests there is massive contingency and probably over engineered for the settings and ps5 could probably do 6700 frequencies..
from the higher clocks (all the hardware outside of the CU’s: RB’s,
That amount of percentage difference surely would be noticeable in analysis ( of course, not counting BC games). But it is not

I will try to address all points in one go:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

"The time constant, which is to say the amount of time that the CPU and GPU take to achieve a frequency that matches their activity, is critical to developers," adds Cerny. "It's quite short, if the game is doing power-intensive processing for a few frames, then it gets throttled. There isn't a lag where extra performance is available for several seconds or several minutes and then the system gets throttled; that isn't the world that developers want to live in - we make sure that the PS5 is very responsive to power consumed. In addition to that the developers have feedback on exactly how much power is being used by the CPU and GPU."
Mark Cerny sees a time where developers will begin to optimise their game engines in a different way - to achieve optimal performance for the given power level. "Power plays a role when optimising. If you optimise and keep the power the same you see all of the benefit of the optimisation. If you optimise and increase the power then you're giving a bit of the performance back. What's most interesting here is optimisation for power consumption, if you can modify your code so that it has the same absolute performance but reduced power then that is a win. "

In short, the idea is that developers may learn to optimise in a different way, by achieving identical results from the GPU but doing it faster via increased clocks delivered by optimising for power consumption. "The CPU and GPU each have a power budget, of course the GPU power budget is the larger of the two," adds Cerny. "If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU. That's what AMD calls SmartShift. There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."
"So, when I made the statement that the GPU will spend most of its time at or near its top frequency, that is with 'race to idle' taken out of the equation - we were looking at PlayStation 5 games in situations where the whole frame was being used productively. The same is true for the CPU, based on examination of situations where it has high utilisation throughout the frame, we have concluded that the CPU will spend most of its time at its peak frequency."

Put simply, with race to idle out of the equation
and both CPU and GPU fully used, the boost clock system should still see both components running near to or at peak frequency most of the time. Cerny also stresses that power consumption and clock speeds don't have a linear relationship. Dropping frequency by 10 per cent reduces power consumption by around 27 per cent. "In general, a 10 per cent power reduction is just a few per cent reduction in frequency," Cerny emphasises.
Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core.
"Regarding locked profiles, we support those on our dev kits, it can be helpful not to have variable clocks when optimising. Released PS5 games always get boosted frequencies so that they can take advantage of the additional power," explains Cerny.
Right now, it's still difficult to get a grip on boost and the extent to which clocks may vary.

It's clear (you may disagree) that the variable clock frequency is not only throttling down in cases of power spikes, low load or fictional power virus scenarios but also when consistently useful work is done with a high activity.
If power wouldn't be a concern at all, outside of extreme cases, there wouldn't be a real need to include power consumption tools for CPU and GPU for developers or to mention power as an optimization vector.
And since unused CPU power can go the GPU, this means that the total power budget available for the GPU is tied to the CPU utilization, just saying no here, is wrong.
What Mark Cerny likes to emphasis that even when both CPU and GPU are fully used, that both of them will be running near to or at peak frequency most of the time.
But here is the thing right, "running near or at peak frequency most of the time."
Near and most are relative terms and not stating precise terms, so I agree with the last paragraph I quoted, it's hard to get a grip on the extend of which clocks may vary.

And there is one point I like to clarify, again.
I was not stating and it was not my intention to give away the impression, that the PS5 will heavily downclock nor that in most cases when the CPU and GPU are stresses that it has to downclock.
The original context was a very dry comment just stating how the theoretical perspective looks like.
18% is the worst case TF advantage for the Xbox Series X and may grow when the PS5 is forced to downclock.
How much and when it would do that, is open from my outsiders perspective.

Further when the GPU clocks would go down, i.e. to 2.1GHz, how would we be able to tell that?
Because the argument was risen, that if the GPU would downlock by a larger amount (large is again relative), that it would be noticeable.
But even with 2.1 GHz and a higher theoretical advantage for the Xbox Series X there are thousands of different factors which are important for the final performance.
The software stack can make a difference, the game optimizations for that specific platform, the geometry load or the cache and memory access patterns, all to a varying degree from game to game.
So it's hard to tell with just looking at the frame graph and resolution of a game, if the PS5 GPU is always running at 2.23GHz or at lower clock speeds because we simply can't isolate that aspect from thousands others.

The framerate stats are interesting.

Frame Rate Statistics
17Mean Frame Rate59.97fps59.9fps59.95fps
18Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
19Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
20Minimum Frame Rate57fps51fps57fps
215th Percentile Frame Rate60fps59fps60fps
221st Percentile Frame Rate59fps58fps59fps

Seems like the PS5 does have enough juice to run the game at Native DRS instead of CB.

Last edited:
Bottomline... PS5 is keeping up and, a lot of times, staying ahead of Series X across all of these ports. Months before release no one predicted this would happen even when watching the Cerny video. He clearly engineered a fantastic console.

I think it'll be interesting to compare games made from the ground up for next gen in a couple years. Will the RDNA2 / updated tools show it's secret sauce on Series X or will PS5 keep pace with its speedy I/O? :pie_thinking:
Exactly what im anxcious to see, people keep calling me a playstation fanboy but they are so wrong in that assessment, they would be right to call me an engineering fanboy, i love good engineering its like art for me infact like most people i believed in series x 12 teraflops + 560gb/s bandwidth and put a coffin on ps5 when i heard its 10 teraflops and 448gb bandwidth. But after understanding the road to ps5 video watching the ue5 demo and constant ps5 wins in comparisons it humbled me.

Then again until we see proper native nextgen games then we can chose a winner not this volatile bc/crossgen games but until then i still think ps5 is better overall engineered just like the xbox 360 was, the series x feels more like the ps3 powerful but held down but id love to be wrong and humbled by 12 teraflops but all microsofts buzzwords mean nothing they need to prove me wrong and ill embrace that.

assurdum

Banned
The framerate stats are interesting.

Frame Rate Statistics
17Mean Frame Rate59.97fps59.9fps59.95fps
18Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
19Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
20Minimum Frame Rate57fps51fps57fps
215th Percentile Frame Rate60fps59fps60fps
221st Percentile Frame Rate59fps58fps59fps

Seems like the PS5 does have enough juice to run the game at Native DRS instead of CB.
This game runs at native dynamic 4k at 30 FPS at higher quality setting. Not sure what it's more taxing for 60 FPS and if just they can't use CPU fully for hardware BC reasons

Last edited:
No you are jumping people trying to reason around a subject matter because of your poor interpretation of a sentence.

”Mother of all Xbox fanboys”, i hope the mods make that my tag. Ive never owned an Xbox and the only consoles on my TV-desk atm are a PS3, PS4 and a PS5.
Im not jumping anybody and the reason of my discussions wasnt because of the word hypothetical it was about why variable clocks might be a reason of ps5s average frame rates being above series x but all you saw was the word "hypothetical" just that word made you jump and call me a fanboy, its incredible how people love name calling this days they just cant help thrmselves.

Locuza

And yet I will say no once again. Because it's not full or total power for the GPU, but additional power to squeeze out even more performance from GPU when it comes in handy.
This makes no sense.
The power budget which can be allocated to the GPU is tied to the CPU utilization.
If the CPU has no unused power to spare, the GPU won't get "additional power to squeeze out even more performance", thus it depends on it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a patch at the end eh. Do you really think they have ported the whole code natively to the ps5 hardware or they have updated it via patch boosting res and grafic effects? Otherwise what else explanation could be there about it?

Compiling to native would give you access to all of the hardware, not some half BC mode.

Doesn't mean the code is really taking good advantage of it, but it would have nothing to do with "BC."

ethomaz

Banned
I got confused with the discussions and thought the 30FPS quality mode wasn't native. Thanks for telling me that.
It is dynamic but most of time stay on full native 4k... both DF and NX found very little drop in resolution.
No CBR is used in the 30fps mode.

It really doesn't. As we know from DF, the resolution drops to 1800p CBR in busy fights. And it can drop as low as 1440p CBR. That's below native 1080p.
CBR is not free.
1440p CBR is not half (50%) of the expense of native 1440p... more like around 70-80%.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Uh why not. They can easily use the native code and boost some effects. How do you know BC is not involved?
I'm just confused why or how you think it would.. there has never been any indication of "half native half BC mode" on PS5... nor does it really make sense.

The PS5 has an SDK that gets loaded when you compile to PS5 native.. otherwise you are using the PS4 SDK.. I highly doubt games are using both at the same time.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I'm just confused why or how you think it would.. there has never been any indication of "half native half BC mode" on PS5... nor does it really make sense.

The PS5 has an SDK that gets loaded when you compile to PS5 native.. otherwise you are using the PS4 SDK.. I highly doubt games are using both at the same time.
I never talked of half. The hell you are talking about. But this game can easily run in BC mode from what we know and the patch just upgraded the graphic setting.

IntentionalPun

I never talked of half. The hell you are talking about. But this game can easily run in BC mode from what we know and the patch just upgraded the graphic setting.
The hell are you talking about?

You just said "They can easily use the native code and boost some effects"... if they use native code then they are using PS5 native mode, aka compiling to it. If you think they are still bound to some BC mode, then.. they are half and half.

I honestly don't think you even know WTF you are trying to describe here. Not meant as an insult, but you can miss me with this "the hell are you talking about" shit.

assurdum

Banned

You just said "They can easily use the native code and boost some effects"... if they use native code then they are using PS5 native mode, aka compiling to it. If you think they are still bound to some BC mode, then.. they are half and half.

I honestly don't think you even know WTF you are trying to describe here. Not meant as an insult, but you can miss me with this "the hell are you talking about" shit.
Wut? Why it's half and half? Uh. How do you know how they compiled it on ps5? Because honestly I don't know and I just try to guess as you.

Last edited:

Don't you get it? This is just a BC game, but completely upgraded, but still BC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IntentionalPun

Wut? Why it's half and half? Uh. How do you know how they compile it on ps5? Because honestly I don't know and I just try to guess as you.
We know it's compiled to PS5 because it's a PS5 version of the game.. that's how it shows up in menus, you even have to transfer your saves installed on the same PS5 from the old version.

There wouldn't be any hardware BC involved here.. if it is using native it's using native.. to suggest hardware BC is still involved, while knowing it's compiled to native PS5.. is to suggest a "half and half" PS5 native mode + some sort of BC mode. It makes no sense.

They likely didn't spend a ton of time optimizing though, hence the unimpressive results.

ethomaz

Banned
People are confusion software and hardware.

You can have a fully compiled native game for PS5 hardware but it still can be using the same software code as PS4 Pro (aka BC).

If you don't make the software use the native hardware features it will still use the old features even in a newer hardware.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

People are confusion software and hardware.

You can have a fully compiled native game for PS5 hardware but it still can be using the same software code as PS4 Pro (aka BC).
You guys are just making shit up...

BC is about running code compiled for a different platform.

If the game is compiled for PS5.. it's compiled for PS5. There is no BC involved.

Yes.. a lot of it is the same code... that's.. not BC.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Nope.

If your game is using the same old PS4 Pro code it is no different from BC.
The resolution in that game is indeed the same as PS4 Pro.... no change was made for PS5 in that aspect.

Just compiling an old code for a new hardware won't make it use the newer native hardware features... the dev needs to go there and change the code to support the new native hardware features.

PS. You definition of BC is wrong too... BC is about Backward Compatibility.... it is not exactly running a code compiled to a different platform... that should be emulation and not BC.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

If your game is using the same old PS4 Pro code it is no different from BC.

It's different because there is no limitation of access to hardware, unlike PS5's BC mods (allegedly.)

It's not.. BC.

Nobody is claiming the game was re-coded for all of the new hardware features. assdrum is claiming the game must not have access to the full CPU and is running in "hardware BC" limitations.. it's.. not.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

BC is about running code compiled for a different platform.

If the game is compiled for PS5.. it's compiled for PS5. There is no BC involved.

Yes.. a lot of it is the same code... that's.. not BC.
So let me say: if CBR implementation is hardware how do you think they use it without BC hardware?

ethomaz

Banned
It's different because there is no limitation of access to hardware, unlike PS5's BC mods (allegedly.)

It's not.. BC.
That doesn't matter.

You have no hardware access limitation but the code is limited to not use that new hardware.
You basically has no ideia of what BC is because what you described in the previous post is Emulation and not BC.

BC is about a newer platform running code from a older platform... there are several ways to archive that.... and even recompilation is one of them (that makes the BC executable native).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

So let me say: if CBR implementation is hardware how do you think they use it without BC hardware?
If that represents a change from PS4 to PS5's APIs.. they would change that code.

That's the minimum you have to do when moving from one platform to another.. modify any code with breaking SDK changes.

BC allows you to not change code.. a BC game is literally the exact same code that would run on PS4. (and the exact same compiled executable) Some games are unlocking features for PS5, other games are just running the exact same code.. a few games had to make code changes because PS5's PS4 BC is not a perfect 1:1 BC.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

"BC is about running code compiled for a different platform."

Wrong.

That is Emulation.
Dude.. no it's not. BC is running code compiled for a different platform.. that's it.. used specifically by people who make new versions of hardware or software.

Emulation is one way to accomplish BC.. but what I described is not emulation. You have hardware BC, or software BC (software BC being emulation.) But BC is specific to a platform owner's new platform, hence why emulation is not always referred to as BC, since emulating a Nintendo on a PC is clearly not "BC." They are different but related terms.

In either case the software that is running is compiled to an older platform. Emulation is at the level of the platform running that software.. and independent of how the software itself is compiled.

Your bullshitting gets so old.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
If that represents a change from PS4 to PS5's APIs.. they would change that code.

That's the minimum you have to do when moving from one platform to another.. modify any code with breaking SDK changes.

BC allows you to not change code.. a BC game is literally the exact same code that would run on PS4. Some games are unlocking features for PS5, other games are just running the exact same code.. a few games had to make code changes because PS5's PS4 BC is not a perfect 1:1 BC.
It has even the same bug of the PS4 version with lower characters models...like how a game without use hardware BC can have the same bug of the PS4 version?

IntentionalPun

It has even the same bug of the PS4 version with lower characters models...like how a game without use hardware BC can have the same bug of the PS4 version?
Because the majority of the game code is probably the same.

The changes you have to make to "go native" are probably minimal. Anything beyond that is up to the developer.

But the actual game executable is compiled to PS5... with those minimal changes to interact w/ the new SDK, and much of the code the exact same.

Last edited:
The power budget which can be allocated to the GPU is tied to the CPU utilization.
If the CPU has no unused power to spare, the GPU won't get "additional power to squeeze out even more performance", thus it depends on it.
Take XsX for example, which has separate CPU and GPU power. In PS5, the SoC has a unified power limit. Both of these SoCs have roughly the same power limit overall (the PS5 has slightly more). You write that the GPU eats away the power of the CPU when it is not heavily used and yes, it does when it's needed. But the GPU has its own piece of power in order to keep the frequency at 2.23GHz at cap anyway, just like CPU. Is not so? Of course yes. The SoC's power is designed to supply both the CPU and GPU at the same time, without the need for any restrictions. The unused power for CPU is needed to further increase productivity of the GPU. This is what Smart Shift firmware does. You understand it somehow in your own way. In your opinion, the PS5 SoC power limit is designed to power either the CPU or the GPU at total and not both. This is what is called nonsense. I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

ethomaz

Banned
Dude.. no it's not. BC is running code compiled for a different platform.. that's it.. used specifically by people who make new versions of hardware or software.

Emulation is one way to accomplish BC.. but what I described is not emulation. You have hardware BC, or software BC (software BC being emulation.)

In either case the software that is running is compiled to an older platform. Emulation is at the level of the platform running that software.. and independent of how the software itself is compiled.

Your bullshitting gets so old.
C'mon you can't be so wrong with a concept just because you don't like what it is lol

BC is a hardware or software that can successful use the interface and data from early versions of the system.
The key point of the BC is that you won't change the original code designed for the early versions of the system.
There are several ways to archive BC and that include: Emulation (software or hardware), Recompilation (native or software language), etc.

When you do a recompilation and no code is changed it is still BC.
That is exactly what they did with the resolution in that game... they are using the same old code from PS4 Pro compiled to PS5 (aka BC).
The parts they changed is indeed not BC because they changed/designed to work on the newer hardware/software.

A native compilation doesn't equal to not being BC... because a native compilation can be BC.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Because the majority of the game code is probably the same.

The changes you have to make to "go native" are probably minimal. Anything beyond that is up to the developer.

But the actual game executable is compiled to PS5... with those minimal changes to interact w/ the new SDK, and much of the code the exact same.
Just to understand all the Ubisoft games enhanced via patch which runs at half res of the series X run natively on ps5?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Just to understand all the Ubisoft games enhanced via patch which runs at half res of the series X are natively ps5 games?
Yes.. it native literally just means compiled to the PS5.

That's going to involve having to change some code from your PS4 version... but much of it will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom