• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

How's that one? Afaik there's just certification needed on SSDs that can match the i/o speeds of the internal drive. Unless I'm missing something, that's on SSD makers, not a firmware limitation.
It's probably on both, Sony would need to defined the requirements and then set up a process to get ssd makers to apply for certification. After that they would need to figure out what that slot does for certified drives and non-certified drives so they could update the firmware to do what it wants to do when I stick in an old arse m2 ssd.

Sure. If for you spend 12 Billions in a company as Bethesda which can't even sell well qualities IP in the recent past generation, it's a good use of the money, that's ok.

That's 7.5 billions for Zenimax :messenger_winking:
I don't completely agree, some really nice game such as Prey or Dishonored 2 has not sold well, but Doom eternal for example is not the worst game ever made (my GOTY 2020), and has generated more than 450 millions :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
That's 7.5 billions for Zenimax :messenger_winking:
I don't completely agree, some really nice game such as Prey or Dishonored 2 has not sold well, but Doom eternal for example is not the worst game ever made (my GOTY 2020), and has generated more than 450 millions :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Most if not all of their famous IPs undersold absolutely. I think the only good financial report was about Fallout 4? The rest is covered of an embarrassing silence or underwhelming results.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I see the "Bethesda was always shit anyway" cope has already begun :messenger_beaming:
No one said that. But MS showed can't even handle a franchising as Halo recently. Do you really think they can handle properly a company as Bethesda with so many IPs, because it has the money to buy everyone? I think they should first focus to improve their management of their own software house before to buy here and there

Last edited:
No one said that. But MS can't even handle a franchising as Halo recently. Do you really think they can handle properly a company as Bethesda with so many IPs, because it has the money to buy everyone? I think they should first focus to improve their management of their own software house before to buy here and there
Bethesda is gonna be fine, I'm not worried.

Neo Blaster

Good news fellow PS5 Gamers. Sony has invested another $200 million into Epic Games bringing their total to $450 million in the last six months.

All those savings from shutting down Japan Studios are going into Epic Games who as we all know are struggling since Fortnite only made them $2 billion in profits last year. Good guy Sony.

On a serious note, just imagine the outrage if all the rumors about Sony Bend, Koji Pro and Bluepoint are true and people find out Sony invested half a billion into Epic Games while MS shows up at E3 with exclusives from Bluepoint and KojiPro. They are putting undue pressure on their 4 AAA studios to deliver IMHO. Especially if they are being forced to work on cross gen games.
Almost half a billion invested on Epic to make UE5 more optimized to PS5 can bring more games from third parties to the console in less time.

Last edited:
12 TERAFLOPS = HIGH RES TEXTURES + HIGH POLY GEOMETRY + REAL RAY TRACING + MACHINE LEARNING +1000 FPS

So there's your 20GB accounted for duuuh
nailed-it-5919a6.jpg

LiquidRex

How's that one? Afaik there's just certification needed on SSDs that can match the i/o speeds of the internal drive. Unless I'm missing something, that's on SSD makers, not a firmware limitation.
UZtTpgZ.jpg

They do exist, credit to Zuby_Tech for the image. Unless of course there's been a change in the SSD IO capability and in fact an SSD of 7GB isn't enough of an overhead to compensate for what Sony has planned. 🤔

ethomaz

Banned
UZtTpgZ.jpg

They do exist, credit to Zuby_Tech for the image. Unless of course there's been a change in the SSD IO capability and in fact an SSD of 7GB isn't enough of an overhead to compensate for what Sony has planned. 🤔
Or perhaps we are looking at another issue from these models you listed... heat.

BTW the lack of support M.2 driver actually is just a firmware development project that needs to be finished and it is not yet.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Almost half a billion invested on Epic to make UE5 more optimized to PS5 can bring more games from third parties to the console in less time.
i want to believe but i dont think sony is wasting half a billion on helping third parties make multiplatform games.

i think this is just a business cash only investment like an investment firm would make. You just pour in money to get a piece of the pie when they go public. If it was anything more than that sony would say so. Notice how the CEO of Sony is quoted in the announcement, not the CEO of playstation. This has nothing to do with playstation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
9pkDzJE.jpg

Why PlayStation Mobile as publisher... Is this common for Sony titles on PC.

Note I haven't played on PC for donkey years. 😛🤦‍♂️

Yeah, thats the normal publisher for Sony PC games right now.
UZtTpgZ.jpg

Looks like 1TB have dropped about $20 in price.....interesting. Noticed this while looking at Newegg for 7GB/s NVMe's.

Make that $30 in price....damn.

Last edited:

reksveks

i want to believe but i dont think sony is wasting half a billion on helping third parties make multiplatform games.

i think this is just a business cash only investment like an investment firm would make. You just pour in money to get a piece of the pie when they go public. If it was anything more than that sony would say so. Notice how the CEO of Sony is quoted in the announcement, not the CEO of playstation. This has nothing to do with playstation.
It's for their tech and the future of epic in the movie/TV production space

ethomaz

Banned
Xbone version is 45 GB and Xbone ( PS4 too ) version won't have Stadium Creator. PS5 and XSX/S does
Yes... it was already proved dozen of times the size on Series X|S doesn't include two separately version of the game... in fact games shares the same size across PC, PS4, XB1 and Series versions.
PS5 is the only with smaller file size.

So it's really 36.2GB? :pie_thinking:
Also, someone who can download the Series X version can check if you are correct, they'll only download one version.
It downloads one version that is 72GB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom