• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well ya PS5 model numbers now are CFI-1000A (disc) and CFI-1000B (digital).

This would just be CFI 1100 instead of 1000.

Like the launch PS4 Pro was CUH-7000, then there was the 7100 and 7200 minor redesigned models.

For example in 2014-15:

304jOsV.jpg
You are correct, saw your other post in the other thread. I forgot A/B in the past was HDD size, or in this case disc or no disc drive.

My CUH-1000 launch day is still going strong, never any heat issues nor loud. Thankfully.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

You are correct, saw your other post in the other thread. I forgot A/B in the past was HDD size, or in this case disc or no disc drive.

My CUH-1000 launch day is still going strong, never any heat issues nor loud. Thankfully.
Oh lol my launch 1000 PS4 was a proud member of Sony Airlines. Took flight when playing Horizon and God of War lol. RIP.

Like everyone forgets the PS4 got redesigned in 2015. It was the best PS4 (fat) model. All matte black, no touch buttons.

egr5SW6.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh lol my launch 1000 PS4 was a proud member of Sony Airlines. Took flight when playing Horizon and God of War lol. RIP.

Like everyone forgets the PS4 got redesigned in 2015. It was the best PS4 (fat) model. All matte black, no touch buttons.

egr5SW6.jpg
I also took the top lid off and dusted it out 3 years in, 2016 (when I noticed it getting a hair louder, then it quieted down). Have not done it since, maybe I should do it again soon, lol. My OG PS3 Phat, now that is a damned hair dryer. So annoying that I picked up a brand new PS3 SS that makes zero noise so I could finish the plat on Demon's Souls in 2018.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I also take the top lid off and dusted it out 3 years in, 2016 (when I noticed it getting a hair louder, then it quieted down). Have not done it since, maybe I should do it again soon, lol. My OG PS3 Phat, now that is a damned hair dryer. So annoying that I picked up a brand new PS3 SS that makes zero noise so I could finish the plat on Demon's Souls in 2018.
That's pretty cool tho that it still works, the OG PS3. Keep it alive!

My PS3 fatty died (YOLD) sadly. Then I sold my 3 slim and got my PS4, and then I sold my PS4 once it got too loud and bought a Pro.

sorry barack obama GIF by NowThis

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My PS3 fatty died (YOLD) sadly. Then I sold my 3 slim and got my PS4, and then I sold my PS4 once it got too loud and bought a Pro.

I had to reflow my OG PS3 in 2012 after the YLOD, but noticed it was getting louder and louder over the years, like insane hairdryer. Made me a bit nervous and annoyed so thus the tiny amplifier looking SS to still chip away at a backlog, lol. I was impressed at how silent and cool running that thing is.

Well, RDNA2 features will surely bolster both consoles' performance, such as mesh shading, variable rate shading, and probably more in the background. I would say it would catch up with X1X, but that's not an impressive feat anyways. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

6 TFLOPS RDNA2 would be a lot more future proof, along with those featureset. 350 dollar, a bit bigger, a bit bulkier would surely do the job!

RDNA2 features would be redundant for BC games, because by definition, those games aren't coded for a console that includes those features, and thus cannot take advantage of them when played through an OS-level BC abstraction layer on a newer console.

In order to take advantage of RDNA2 features, the game has to be hard-coded to do so, which makes it a new next-gen exclusive game, incompatible with old-gen consoles.

This is cool news. It's probably just a way for them to increased chip production. But they might not even call it the slim model yet or even redesign the exterior. They might not make this a publicly announced thing either. Why just fight for 7nm wafers when there's 6nm wafers to buy too? Both can do the job.

I see a scenario where there just end up being PS5s with either 7nm or 6nm SoCs, all with same specs and design. The only way a user would ever know if their PS5 has a 7 or 6 nm chip would be a teardown lol. Maybe the power draws will differ a little. I think a full slim model with a noticeably smaller die, lower power draw, and or more storage is still unlikely before 2023. This will likely just be called the CFI-1100 model, not CFI-2000 model (slim).

Yeah, the design almost certainly won't change. The 6nm SKU will simply use a different model number.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No idea how this became such a meme. Mine doesn't have coil whine, but I've had PCs that do and it's nowhere near as obnoxious as the fan noise of previous gen consoles.
Mine has had coil whine since launch but its impossible to hear when the game is on.

My PC on the other hand is so loud, I cant play games without headphones anymore.

That's good to hear. The last thing I want is ND talent wasting their time doing a straight 4k 60 fps port of TLOU2.

I want character models and visuals looking like this.

AGosOKm.gif
I wouldn't be surprised at all, in fact those are the kind of visuals I'm expecting from the Sony first party studios and Naughty Dog are extremely talented.

Photorealistic graphics + 3D Audio + Instant load times and transitions + Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, the potential is insane!

I wonder if this is tied into the multiplayer as well? Would make sense to expand upon the first game's already stellar component and offer a twofer.
Wasn't the multiplayer supposed tor be released "soon"? I think the remake won't be released for another 2-3 years or maybe I've misread something.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wasn't the multiplayer supposed tor be released "soon"? I think the remake won't be released for another 2-3 years or maybe I've misread something.
I just don't think that this is something that is that far out since the show is supposed to drop later this year and this is something they would want to coincide with that.

Last edited:
I just don't think that this is something that is that far out since the show is supposed to drop later this year and this is something they would want to coincide with that.
I'm not actually a fan of Last of Us, not because I don't like it, but it's just something I never really got into. So it's not something I follow closely, but hey if the remake is going to bring some sweet next-gen goodness then count me in! Especially with the magic that Naughty Dog can pull off, I still believe Uncharted 4 is one of the best looking games of the past 10 years, even though some of the stools in the corner of the rooms are not casting their shadows properly.

RE8 loading time comparison is very interesting.

1.5 seconds
vs
8.5 seconds

That PS5 I/O is turning a 2.2x SSD advantage to a 5.66x advantage.

Ray tracing performance XSX has a 7-10% edge despite an 18% difference in tflops.

I've seen someone say the I/O tools are not ready. However they should be for the console it's the PC tools that are available later. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

kyliethicc

I wonder if this is tied into the multiplayer as well? Would make sense to expand upon the first game's already stellar component and offer a twofer.
They're gonna have the multiplayer, which I bet will be standalone, and then this remake and a updated version of Part 2 for PS5. All around or before the HBO show drops. I'd assume the multiplayer will not have "Part 2" in the title at all, just "The Last of Us Online" or something like that so it can be its own thing. All of this of course sets up the inevitable Part 3.

I'd assume the mp game will have some maps / weapons from the 1st game. More than just Part 2 stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, in fact those are the kind of visuals I'm expecting from the Sony first party studios and Naughty Dog are extremely talented.

Photorealistic graphics + 3D Audio + Instant load times and transitions + Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, the potential is insane!

Slimy is gonna be sadly disappointed. No PS5 game is gonna look like that pre-rendered real life movie lol.

And my guess is multiplayer this fall, remake next year. It began dev in 2018, its apparently pretty far along in development.

The HBO show will end filming in summer 2022, maybe it'll air in fall 2022. Remake will be out by then I bet.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've seen someone say the I/O tools are not ready. However they should be for the console it's the PC tools that are available later. So I'm not sure what's going on there.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

They're gonna have the multiplayer, which I bet will be standalone, and then this remake and a updated version of Part 2 for PS5. All around or before the HBO show drops. I'd assume the multiplayer will not have "Part 2" in the title at all, just "The Last of Us Online" or something like that so it can be its own thing. All of this of course sets up the inevitable Part 3.

I'd assume the mp game will have some maps / weapons from the 1st game. More than just Part 2 stuff.
That makes sense and in a round about way what I was eluding to about the MP. I am just wondering if the MP will be included as well, just like Uncharted 4's that was included as it's own thing in both UC4 and LL. So a standalone and included. Seems most are doing this, even Rockstar now.

I think UC3 had a standalone eventually as well.
Slimy is gonna be sadly disappointed. No PS5 game is gonna look like that pre-rendered real life movie lol.

And my guess is multiplayer this fall, remake next year. It began dev in 2018, its apparently pretty far along in development.

The HBO show will end filming in summer 2022, maybe it'll air in fall 2022. Remake will be out by then I bet.
And TLoU2 that I played looks better than whatever the hell blurrovision shot he used to starkly compare.

Last edited:
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

That makes sense and in a round about way what I was eluding to about the MP. I am just wondering if the MP will be included as well, just like Uncharted 4's that was included as it's own thing in both UC4 and LL. So a standalone and included. Seems most are doing this, even Rockstar now.

And TLoU2 that I played looks better than whatever the hell blurrovision shot he used to starkly compare.

Yeah it was kind of strange how they justified it. Basically it's the claim that SFS and DirectStorage isn't ready yet. Everything I/O related should be ready for the Series Consoles.

Edit: This is what was said.

Some features on Microsoft's side like DirectStorage and SFS are still not really available, therefore aren't being leveraged by games on the platform.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yeah its hard to guess what they'll do for release, standalone or bundled in, etc. Could be like Uncharted, RDR2, GTA, Ghost, CoD, etc.

Hopefully they use that tech Cerny was talking about where we as PS5 users will be able to selectively install / uninstall just singleplayer or multiplayer parts of games.

cragarmi

RE8 loading time comparison is very interesting.

1.5 seconds
vs
8.5 seconds

That PS5 I/O is turning a 2.2x SSD advantage to a 5.66x advantage.

Ray tracing performance XSX has a 7-10% edge despite an 18% difference in tflops.
Before the consoles came out we had supposed leaks from Devs seeing around a 10% real world performance advantage. This game shows us what that advantage brings. Answer-Not much. But that I/O advantage is incredible!

ethomaz

Banned
Yep I honestly think that individual was getting PC confused with Xbox.
Velocity Architecture is ready on Series X|S.
PC will get a part of it, DirectStorage, but it is not ready yet.

Last edited:
Before the consoles came out we had supposed leaks from Devs seeing around a 10% real world performance advantage. This game shows us what that advantage brings. Answer-Not much. But that I/O advantage is incredible!
Judging other multi platform games PS5 has not had that big of a load time advantage. It's quite plausible that the feature set with regards to velocity architecture hasn't been leveraged on the Xbox. There was a time when raytracing was going to be a delayed feature on Xbox too using the Observer game as an example. They eventually patched it in. Clearly the PS5 had its development environment further along than MS did with theirs. It will be interesting to see titles after both systems are fully taken advantage of.

I recall just the other day people getting pissy at Rich / Digital Foundry when discussing DirectStorage on Xbox and that it may be an uphill battle to convince third parties to use their APIs/solutions for optimization. I think RE8's loading differential kind of proves his point.

Well that's the main advantage of having all that custom hardware do the work for you. Although to take full advantage of the PS5s I/O you still need to do some work. It might be minimal compared to DX12/Series though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I recall just the other day people getting pissy at Rich / Digital Foundry when discussing DirectStorage on Xbox and that it may be an uphill battle to convince third parties to use their APIs/solutions for optimization. I think RE8's loading differential kind of proves his point.
It proves the on paper difference in I/O speeds, just like the performance shows the on paper GPU differences.

People still can't accept that. On both sides.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Isnt directstorage built into directx? I remember Nvidia also talking about how their 30 series GPUs will support it on the driver level. I dont think devs will need much convincing if they can just integrate it within Directx.

Found this in my archives. it's from an older xbox series s video. You can see just how much memory is freed up by switching to SFS implementation.

9w6doLm.gif

elliot5

Interesting 🤨

This twitter dude is obnoxious. Alex is clarifying how Nvidia's RTXGI is used, not correcting anything on Returnal's methods. Reading Metro Exodus reinformed him of Nvidia's technology, so he corrected his statement on Nvidia's technology during the Returnal video.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This twitter dude is obnoxious. Alex is clarifying how Nvidia's RTXGI is used, not correcting anything on Returnal's methods. Reading Metro Exodus reinformed him of Nvidia's technology, so he corrected his statement on Nvidia's technology during the Returnal video.

Alex said it was just a “rasterization” and he was wrong... it is a Ray-tracing tech.

Well the name already says all RTX Global Illumination.

“ Leveraging the power of ray tracing, the RTX Global Illumination SDK provides scalable solutions to compute multi-bounce indirect lighting without bake times, light leaks, or expensive per-frame costs. RTXGI is supported on any DXR-enabled GPU, and is an ideal starting point to bring the benefits of ray tracing to your existing tools, knowledge, and capabilities.”

Returnal basically uses a similar RTXGI tech for illumination and yes it is ray-traced.

Last edited:

Rudius

The amount of noise my first version Pro generated was truly shameful. I find it baffling a company like Sony allowed such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom