• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reindeer

So above 2080 super and below 2080ti, so using a £600 at least gpu, in a £500 or less console, before you even factor in cpu, SSD, every other cost...

Come on people, let’s not be idiots.we all know they get prices cheaper than we do, but let’s be realistic here 🤣
12 tflops inside a console will outperform 2080, that's almost a given. Desktop GPUs often have to brute force their way through games while there's much more optimisation that goes into consoles. Also things like VRS will give performance boost to console GPUs.

Gediminas

Banned
Are you aware that people pre-order Teslas years in advance, without knowing anything about the car?

Are you aware that people can't pre-order the XSX yet?

Are you aware that the specifications will be released and be available a long time before the console is actually available?

He makes a very solid point, and I'm willing to bet, that if he was from Sony, you'd be heralding him as a champion.
there far more people who cares. if you don't care, why you are commenting?

it is sony or m$ the same too me. that is wrong comment.

So above 2080 super and below 2080ti, so using a £600 at least gpu, in a £500 or less console, before you even factor in cpu, SSD, every other cost...

Come on people, let’s not be idiots.we all know they get prices cheaper than we do, but let’s be realistic here 🤣
The 1060 had 980 like performance, yet it retailed even at 230$. It is not unheard for mid range next gen cards to match high end last gen cards.

DJ12

Look at the guy taking no other factors into account and throwing pc prices at everyone.

Firstly Nvidia are the only game in town so charge way over the odds.

You only need to look at Intel to see what happens when you aren't the best anymore and your competitor sells better products for less. Didn't Intel's hedt offerings get a cool 1000 dollars knocked off the price almost over night.

Also ms and Sony have already paid for these chips in their r and d budgets. Their only additional cost for these going forwards will be amds royalties and fabrication costs.

I doubt 2080ti's cost much more than 300-400 dollars to actually make and most of these costs are just not relevant to consoles as they are designed around the chips as opposed to being designed as a bespoke device to fit a standard interface like they are on pc.

So yeah plenty more to consider before throwing this pc nonsense in here.

DJ12

Uh oh, XBSX not as powerful as people expect confirmed.
Or more likely know Sony has something cooking but no idea what the hell it is.

And let's be honest crowing about power when we know Sony has at least two things (much faster ssd and better ray tracing) that could make up the deficit is probably not the smartest idea at this time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://videocardz.com/newz/mysterious-amd-radeon-gpu-appears-in-openvr-benchmark-leaderboard
utTI0rI.jpg

utTI0rI.jpg

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Of course, I did edit my post above after you quoted lol. But even THEN, you’re adding an expensive gpu, with a super cutting edge (Apparently) SSD, with a decent CPU, and some over the top good ram, and everything else...

This is the same company that sells you a cheap as shit plastic controller for fifty bones, and people in here really are expecting Sony to eat massive losses. That’s not how business works. Sony absolutely will be eating “”””””some”””””” loss, of course. But not £500 worth of loss...
You already solved the puzzle how Sony could banck that kind of loss, and didn't even notice:
"This is the same company that sells you a cheap plastic controller for fifty bones"

Comparison with PC component prices is irrelevant.

You should read these two posts by the ex-MS Albert Penello, its good insight:

The last line on the 2nd quote is pretty interesting.

Jason Schreier also said he heard consoles would be getting GPus better than RTX 2080. We'll see but, looking at the SoC for XSX it definitely looks like it's going to be a beast.
Very good explanation there too, not as straightforward as mine, but very good overall.

thelastword

Banned
It's certainly a stretch, but you're forgetting wholesale prices. And they're going to be buying a-ha-ha-ha-lot of them.
Notwithstanding that AMD is on 7nm already, with PS5 possibly being on 7nm+ which is about 20% more efficient over that.....Also, AMD worked in getting the Vega architecture much more efficient for their new 4000 APU's, so you can bet they worked even more magic on Navi 2.0...….AMD has said on numerous occasions that Navi 2.0 will be much more efficient over Navi 1.0...…..Higher perf at lower power draw.....Relative to how fast these GPU's will be, Navi 1 is extremely fast with only 40 CU's.....A more efficient and higher IPC Navi 2 with more CU's on PS5 is going to be bananas relative to performance...…...And of course, no need to compare Nvidia cards, they are always more expensive than AMD cards, but Sony has been partners with AMD for a minute, it's an amicable relationship.....The pure volume of PS5 chips will be able to come to terms with the price/perf ratio Sony is going for on PS5....

Reindeer

Look at the guy taking no other factors into account and throwing pc prices at everyone.

Firstly Nvidia are the only game in town so charge way over the odds.

You only need to look at Intel to see what happens when you aren't the best anymore and your competitor sells better products for less. Didn't Intel's hedt offerings get a cool 1000 dollars knocked off the price almost over night.

Also ms and Sony have already paid for these chips in their r and d budgets. Their only additional cost for these going forwards will be amds royalties and fabrication costs.

I doubt 2080ti's cost much more than 300-400 dollars to actually make and most of these costs are just not relevant to consoles as they are designed around the chips as opposed to being designed as a bespoke device to fit a standard interface like they are on pc.

So yeah plenty more to consider before throwing this pc nonsense in here.
Moore's Law is Dead estimated that it would cost Microsoft $130 to manufacture one APU, with AMDs cut it shouldn't be more than $200. That leaves you with $300+ for ram, ssd, cooling, motherboard, etc. It's more than reasonable to think this can be done for $500.

I work as an intern in a AAA studio till 2018 and now I am working on a game for next gen I am new to this industry.We are now working on prototype 1 of console. Now idea of PS5 design .The level of performance machines is somewhere between above 2080 super but slightly below 2080ti.Ram is not confirmed but it is above 16 GB GDDR6 on both machines and "x" GB Gddr4 for os.
Both machines are very powerful but PS5 is in slightly more advanced state but Xbox will resolve that issue.And all GitHub leaks are for PS5 in 2019.
Xbox Series X will release before PS5 that's my bet for sure.
I am not a reliable source please don't believe me.
Please check with the mods before putting out more information.

We've already had one person i know of banned from this thread because he gave false information.

Fake

If Sony or Microsoft skips this E3 then that will be a big mistake. Could matter in fact end up like SEGA
Are this E3 getting a revamp for be a more 'affordable for all tastes'? If so I can't see why both Sony and Microsoft skip.

edit: I was wrong, Phil said "we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

Nah, neither of them said they were given a rumor of what the specs were. They said they knew an insider who gave them official specs.
In a world where everybody says the truth, you wouldn't need to double check anything. Regrettably, we are not living in that kind of world. Also, if several insiders have the same specs, it means that they can't be tracked by Microsoft just by looking at the leaked numbers.

Last edited:

Reindeer

He said twice the performance. That would be less than 12 tf RDNA. Kleegamefan made his RDNA clarification before the first DF video, which guessed Phil could be talking about 9-10 RDNA teraflops which are about twice the performance of One X.
Obviously, in specs given to devs, they would only use actual teraflop numbers.

In a world where everybody says the truth, you wouldn't need to double check anything. Regrettably, we are not living in that kind of world. Also, if several insiders have the same specs, it means that they can't be tracked by Microsoft just by looking at the leaked numbers.
Please don't start this topic again.

Moore's Law is Dead said that he thinks Sony's console might be less powerful teraflop wise while targeting lower price, and he thinks that PS5 will have custom audio and RT chips along with faster SSD. He also said Sony will go for more smarter design to the hardware while Microsoft will go for brute power. Interesting thoughts.

We can already throw out the idea that both sides are not going for smart designs and one is simply going for brute power. The way it sounds like Microsoft has implemented their SSD to assist their GPU, using it like a sort of virtual ram that may be connected pretty close to the GPU itself, is the very essence of smart design and not simply just relying on brute power. And rumors suggest it is Sony that's pushing their GPU to 2GHZ+ (a speed we know to be pretty crazy for a console) whereas Microsoft has gone for a smart wide approach with many more compute units, with a more manageable/reasonable clock speed. Even the emphasis by Microsoft on VRS, yet another focus on being smart rather than just brute forcing it. VRS can save their GPU precious resources that can go back into improving performance.

Even looking at Microsoft's form factor, it's easy to say that's a sign of the kind of brute power they're going for, but then they also managed to make this thing as quiet as Xbox One X. It doesn't appear to me as if brute power and smart design are at odds with each other in the Xbox Series X design.

Even if Microsoft are building themselves a mini PC tower I still see efforts all around the design from what Microsoft has said thus far to keep from having to brute force their way to a result. There are efforts to take pressure off the hardware. I don't think they're taking that they have a lot of power for granted.

johnjohn

Not riding any wave just giving my 2 cents which I will gladly stop if it bothers people that much.
If it's bothering anyone it's just a handful of people. Just ignore them.
Ding we have a winner.

Guessing
My question is, if Series X does have more TFs, why do you think some insiders are saying PS5 has the power edge?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom