• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I believe the PS5 will be 37tf. I have my reasons for this.

I also think the SX will be 36.9tf but will be vastly under powered, as it uses carrier pigeons to deliver textures.

Both will need nuclear reactors to power them, and polar bear anus flesh to cool them. This won’t be supplied.

I have my insiders. I got you Gaf, don’t worry, this is legit, I just read it in a pastebin.

joe_zazen

I dont remember this. Was it over or under what was rumored?

oh man, way way over. WUST threads were the best, well untill the chip was delidded and professionally analysed. I chipped in ten bucks to get that done...cheap entertainment.

edit: wiiu was based on gamecube tech. So the joke about 3 gamecubes duct tapped held some truth.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I believe the PS5 will be 37tf. I have my reasons for this.

I also think the SX will be 36.9tf but will be vastly under powered, as it uses carrier pigeons to deliver textures.

Both will need nuclear reactors to power them, and polar bear anus flesh to cool them. This won’t be supplied.

I have my insiders. I got you Gaf, don’t worry, this is legit, I just read it in a pastebin.
Calling bullshit. I didn't see this in any pastebin, github, or hellpoint dev leak.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Osiris and Klee redeemed. 12TF+ PS5 lookin good right now :messenger_winking:.

To be fair, that doesn’t say that. And also to be fair, Sony could come out with something PSOne level spec wise, and it would still shift the conversation away from MS. Once that conference hits, every gaming news site in the world will be talking about Sony.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
oh man, way way over. WUST threads were the best, well untill the chip was delidded and professionally analysed. I chipped in ten bucks to get that done...cheap entertainment.

edit: wiiu was based on gamecube tech. So the joke about 3 gamecubes duct tapped held some truth.
What was the rumored clock?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Calling bullshit. I didn't see this in any pastebin, github, or hellpoint dev leak.

4hpnJDh.jpg

#Believe

LED Guy?

Banned
Well, looks like this is the PS5's final design? Does this design allow for those proposed rumored specs like 12+ TF and 3.2 GHz CPU clocks? It seems like it ain't as big as Xbox Series X....maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wasn’t the confirmed fake? I mean, even ignoring the fact it looks like utter shit, even more so when you see the disk would scratch against the surface, it’s on the wrong side lol) and it’s thinner than a PS4. So you’re expecting me to believe that they have this thing silent and cool, when MS already had to have the larger form factor.

k.

dolabla

That was my first thought to, yesterday i compared it with cboat riddle that people think it's about Edge of Tomorrow, and quoted this post of dolabla
It's about some crazy glitch that sent him to a old post of his, when he clicked cboats name! (the post was about Vita games...)
Are you there dolabla dolabla
is the glitch still on for you? With me doesn't work lol

It's still working for me, lol. It takes me to this post:

DJ12

these were from someone who (or close friend) actually was at one of the first ps5 meetings/events. he gaves specs close to these and at the time sony had said in the meeting it was 13tf
It'll be funny after all this back and forth if the first thing ever shared turns out to be the closest to the truth lol

I know, Tidux and all, but I believe this is true:

Edit: hardware BC, that is. I believe we'll see PS2 and PS3 games coming to PSN similar to what XBL does with previous XBoxes

Doesn't Xbox have native back-compat with 360 and OG Xbox, though? As in you can have a physical copy of the disc, put it in, then it rips the disc contents to storage and runs the game that way?

X basically uses a software emulator IIRC for OG Xbox and XBO, but they still run natively on local hardware. If PS5 doesn't support PS3 back-compat with that method, and we know chances it'll have a Cell co-processor are almost 0%, then that just leaves streaming.

TBH I don't know how much to believe PS5 won't feature some emulation-base PS3 back-compat. PC has cracked that a good while ago, Sony's own team can certainly manage that with PS5 hardware.

EDIT: Oh you mean hardware-based back-compat as in not emulation? TBH I think they'll use emulation for all the systems, and why not? The tech's matured now, they can optimize their emulations specifically for PS5 and get pretty close to the real deal. Most people who play via emulation do not care about 100% hardware cycle accuracy anyway, otherwise they'd just buy the older consoles or an FPGA-based variant (if available).

I totally believe the controllers inside the system will be capable of those speeds, but for sake of keeping within budget I don't feel like we are going to get a drive that fast, at least not at launch. My other curiousity is though, with these high speed SSD drives, most of them have heatsinks on them, so if they end up making those user replaceable (which I hope to hell they do) I wonder how they are going to accomodate all the different size heat sinks out there.

That's a reasonable concern for the price-related stuff, but again, keep in mind Sony and MS will be choosing one specific drive at large bulk. Now the issue with getting a drive that's both cheap and fast enough would depend on how many NAND modules they set up in parallel; if they went with a 1TB drive that's simply 2x 512GB modules for example, they won't hit near the maximum speed of the controller's limits. But they would save money that way vs. 8x 128GB modules, or 16x 64GB modules, etc. etc., per drive.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from about the pricing. It's kind of why I think IF they try going with a drive to get around that bandwidth, out of necessity it'd have to be custom, because equivalent 1TB QLC NAND drives on the market right now are not getting anywhere near 6-8GB/s. And you bring up heat as well, which is important, which means that kind of drive in a console would very likely be tightly connected to the board and (likey) non-replaceable. That way it could be cooled with the general system cooling solution the consoles will use.

Unfortunately I don't know what the read/write speeds of general NAND chips are, but I found an article saying it can range from generally 1Gbps (128 MB/s) (some lower than that actually) to 3D NAND chips hitting an average of about 1.4Gbps (176 MB/s). Newer tech has some pushing closer to 3Gbps (384 MB/s).

So say the custom drives are using these newest of new chips (not unreasonable; Universal Flash Storage cards probably use chips like this since even Gen 2 UFS can hit around 1165 MB/s); to saturate say 7 GB/s bandwidth they'd need about 18-19 of those chips in parallel access. That'd at least handle the bandwidth issue, but not necessarily the capacity issue (each of those chips'd need to be about 64GB in size; technically 56.8 but chips aren't manufactured at that capacity).

But that'd be the best outcome; with 1.4Gbps chips they'd need 40 of chose chips, at 32GB capacities. And 1Gbps chips? About 55 chips (odd number, so probably 56), but the problem there is they'd need about 18GB capacity chips. So really either 16GB (they don't hit 1TB), 24GB (not as commonly produced) or 32GB (they'd push over 1.7TB of storage). That's probably the worst option, let alone NAND with even lower Gbps.

So yeah, it might be more economical if they're targeting closer to 3 GB/s speed with a 1TB custom drive sort of like AMD's SSG cards; best option then would be 8 chips in parallel, 3Gbps I/O, 128GB capacity. Or if they upped it to 12 of those chips in parallel, they could get around 4.6 GB/s. In either case, more cost-effective and TDP-friendly than targeting 7 GB/s - 8 GB/s, that's for sure.

...That's considering other specs for XSX in particular and figuring what the BOM for those would be, plus the power draw. If PS5 is closer to the 9.2TF - 9.7TF range, they would actually have more headroom for a faster SSD with the setup I mentioned above than Microsoft, because of the savings on TDP due to less-demanding GPU and less GDDR6 memory. Not to mention the price savings; all of that could be shifted to more NAND in parallel for a faster custom SSG-style SSD drive, even if both systems use a similar setup fundamentally speaking and go for same size (1TB).

At least that's how I figure it could go. Would still necessitate need for an optional drive, probably internal M.2, and regardless of whatever speed the custom drive would be (3-4 GB/s or 7-8 GB/s), would be noticeably slower than that. But that's okay, since it'd be mainly for cold storage.

Technically speaking, this kind of custom drive would be a good way for Sony and MS to create another potential peripheral segment; they'd use smart memory management regardless for them but power users would eventually start to wear them down, and desire a replacement. So those drives COULD be replaceable, but only with custom peripheral drives from Sony and MS. Honestly don't think this would be a big issue; people already buy multiple controllers, headphone sets, and other peripherals as-is. At least the custom drive brings something new to the game.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I don't like that.... If it is the design, it will be made invisible as possible.
I'll buy it for the games but I expect a Sony product to look better than this!

yeah, i am pretty tolerant of designs, but i need symmetry. Plus, it looks LOUDAF. At least youll be able to see the inputs. Ps4 design is the worst ever for that.

Last edited:
Doesn't Xbox have native back-compat with 360 and OG Xbox, though? As in you can have a physical copy of the disc, put it in, then it rips the disc contents to storage and runs the game that way?

X basically uses a software emulator IIRC for OG Xbox and XBO, but they still run natively on local hardware. If PS5 doesn't support PS3 back-compat with that method, and we know chances it'll have a Cell co-processor are almost 0%, then that just leaves streaming.

TBH I don't know how much to believe PS5 won't feature some emulation-base PS3 back-compat. PC has cracked that a good while ago, Sony's own team can certainly manage that with PS5 hardware.

EDIT: Oh you mean hardware-based back-compat as in not emulation? TBH I think they'll use emulation for all the systems, and why not? The tech's matured now, they can optimize their emulations specifically for PS5 and get pretty close to the real deal. Most people who play via emulation do not care about 100% hardware cycle accuracy anyway, otherwise they'd just buy the older consoles or an FPGA-based variant (if available).

All Sony needs to do is allow you in insert a PS3 game into the PS4 or PS5, once the system checks what game it is then allow you to play it over Playstation Now for free as long as you have the game inserted into the console. I would be happy if they did that over trying to make PS3 BC work on the PS5.

demigod

Well, looks like this is the PS5's final design? Does this design allow for those proposed rumored specs like 12+ TF and 3.2 GHz CPU clocks? It seems like it ain't as big as Xbox Series X....maybe I'm wrong.

I'm calling fake on this, also this was already posted on Monday. Look at the left drawing vs the right one, the right one is not even. It would topple if it was standing straight up.

Andodalf

Banned

Nah, the XO just reads the disc to basically serve as a license, then downloads a version of the game repackaged (I think as an x86 exe?) to run on their emulated platform. As such all BC games are digital, so if a game has licensing problems and can’t be sold digitally, it probably won’t be BC. I imagine PS will have the same issues.

TheContact

Here's what would make me incredibly happy and it has nothing to do with terraflops:
1) PS5 backwards compatible with PS1&2 games and PS4 games. I could concede that it would be too difficult to emulate ps3 games given the cell architecture so i won't hold that against them.
2) A new Sony handheld. The PSP and the Vita successor were easily my favorite handhelds to date, even more than the Switch. I hope that given the success of the Switch, Sony doesn't think the haldheld market is dying and creates a new handheld.

joe_zazen

it would be nice, but sony’s record on getting OS level stuff is poor. Remember, name changes only came in 2019.

It is shit like that that, and expecting teams of 60-100 people to makeAAA games, that makes me very negative when it comes to Sony spending money on playstation. I am hoping ps5 is the exception, but personally, i am fully prepared for < 9tf console with launch games approximating what they had for ps4 In terms of quality and number.

DJ12

I know, Tidux and all, but I believe this is true:

Edit: hardware BC, that is. I believe we'll see PS2 and PS3 games coming to PSN similar to what XBL does with previous XBoxes

Well duh....

PS1, PS2 and PS3 would always be software based emulation as they are completely different architectures.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

That 100 percent looks like a real product that Sony would make to me. Is it true? who knows but its looks legit.

Some people are saying that twitter dude DrunkCat is legit, he leaked the PS5 devkit. The actual console image was leaked to 4chan but he's saying it's real, just not final. :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

Oh God please no.
Supposing it's real, if history repeats itself, they will present that design among a few others to Jim Ryan for him to choose the final look of the console. He can actually ask for the designer to change them or make something different just like Andrew House did when he had to decide the design of the PS4.

The thing to take from this design, if it's real, is that PS5 unlike xbox series isn't going to be a big box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom