• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, your concern is that AMD is inside the consoles. Even if AMD had a chip that would compete with Ampere doesn't mean it would show up in the consoles. If this next gen sees 6-7yrs before a new gen, and you factor in that Nvidia has been releasing a new chip every 2yrs, the consoles would be 3 generations behind by the next-next gen comes out.

Holy fuck, that's a problem on top of another problem. Maybe PS5Pro and Xbox Series X pro 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️??!

RookX22

Even if Xlauncher and PS5 are 2080ti + performance you still have additional problems of: Nvidia 7nm ampere and soon to be released Intel Discrete graphics. What I am upset about is that AMD always has to play catch-up for it to be equal or slightly better by defaulting to shrinking node.

So for AMD to equal the performance of Nvidia Ampere 3080 series, they will have to go to 5nm am I rite?
This is always the problem of tech, if you watch if you watch tech youtubers they never recommend 2080tis or 9900ks for people getting into pc gaming those systems are for enthusiasts who can drop 2K on a pc but then in a year up grade to the next 750$ cpu or the 1200$ gpu. Consoles players buy a console to play for 5 to 7 years try that with a equivalent 400$ to 500$ pc rig and see what type of Graphics and Fps you can push.

Last edited:

TheFarter

Banned
Maybe, but that's not what I'm hearing. Devs are tired of managing 3 platforms every single generation. It would be much easier to have 1 platform and make the best vision of the director on said platform. The consoles will never catch up to the hardware innovations and so all the money is pouring into the development of games for all platforms (or at least on PC). PC is the agnostic hardware here -- that's why devs develop on it first and foremost. You want a true RDNA 2.0? Buy an AMD. You want the best Nvidia has to offer? Buy the RTX. You want a lighting fast SSD setup? Buy NvMe. You love AMD CPUs? Buy the Ryzen. etc.. etc..
Sounds like the same reasons Minecraft went with Bedrock Edition. To have all the consoles on the same plan, instead of having to dev for all different versions of the game. Stick to one, one patch to fix them all at the same time.

Fake

I don't understand this logic. Especially if HZD on PC looks better than HZD2 on PS5.
Horizon Zero Dawn use an old version of Decima engine while Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will use the lastest version of Decima engine.

Is just like saying Assassin Creed Black Flag on PC will look better than AC:O on console.
Got it?

edit: By the reaction button you pretty much trolling. Will take that in consideration next time before start a conversation with you.

Last edited:
IMO, If the PlayStation 5 is in that 9, 10 TF range it will still be a beast. I am still on an I7 7700k and an EVGA 1080ti SC2 and this PC is still rocking every game at max settings Minus RTX Features. I have even used software based Ray Tracing on my GPU and it looks great, runs like shit.

My point is, these next consoles with their closed architecture will be pretty amazing, Especially with Ultra Blu Ray, custom Ryzen/Navi APUs, Ray Tracing, Custom SSD Nvme and so on. There's a lot to look forward to moving forward.

splattered

What if the whole reason Sony is putting on a MONTH LONG celebration for PS4 is they really DON'T have any major exclusives for PS5 launch and they are just trying to hype PS4 up so much in hopes that people will just flow from PS4 love into PS5 love via cross gen titles and not throw a huge fit over not having true next gen exclusives at launch? Hmmm

Audiophile

I would like to say and directly (no riddles) the newest information I got was that both of these systems are Close, Close enough to be twins just not identical. The biggest differences will be custom features and things like playing PS4 games with no load times or terrain pop in. Have to admit my tech knowledge is baffled at how the SSD will remove terrain pop in but I cannot wait to see it.

What's your opinion on the 36CU leaks? With clock speeds of 800MHz and 911MHz in testing I can't see how it can be anything other than a PS chip.

Total Speculation: Is it possible the ~2GHz 36CU mode is an enhanced bc mode for patched games with the entire chip not being exposed in any of these tests; and that the full chip is more CUs, likely with a somewhat lower clock in PS5 native mode?

I dont get it, dont they give developers ample time to get their launch titles ready? Atleast give them some sort of generic alpha sdk with 1.5 to 2 years advance of development time? They even stated that development cycle and ease has greatly been reduced/enhanced.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I would like to say and directly (no riddles) the newest information I got was that both of these systems are Close, Close enough to be twins just not identical. The biggest differences will be custom features and things like playing PS4 games with no load times or terrain pop in. Have to admit my tech knowledge is baffled at how the SSD will remove terrain pop in but I cannot wait to see it.

The only thing I can think of is that the big bottleneck is moving data from disk to CPU RAM. No matter how fast the SSD is, it won't beat VRAM to L2 cache pipe. Or the terrain pop-in only needed a few more MB/s to make it none-noticeable. If given a choice for me, I'd rather have slower SSD but more VRAM.

With the addition of SSDs, how will expandable storage work? If games are programmed to work off an SSD, could you just add a hard drive like you do on One X? Or will you only be able to add another identical SSD part which you would have to buy from MS or Sony?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Seriously?

This is very possible yes. Ignoring art direction, the PS5 will still be constrained by the GPU at true 4k res and 4k textures. A high end GPU card like 2080Ti will have more bandwidth by far and can run @ 4k with 4k textures at a higher FPS. It's easy to test actually. You can answer your own question by pondering on the thought of a PS5 version of HZD2 and a PC version of HZD2. The PC will give the best results.

Last edited:
to7y190ctca41.png

You believe the person who just said that Horizon will appear on PC (it is not confirmed). But instead when this same person claims that PS5 and Xbox are above 2080 .... then you don't believe it. That is called hypocrisy, believing the data that interests you.
I believe Jason.

He works for Kotaku and is one of the most reliable insiders you can get.
I don't a fuck know who that Russian guy is thats reporting PS5 launching with NO exclusives and Xbox launching with 16.

You'd have to be in another dimension of stupid to believe that.

xPikYx

These consoles rumours look pretty bad to me, I really hope the games developement will move onto the pc to match max specs and then scales down everything to match consoles specs. I'm tired of these weak machines bottlenecking the games developement process

what narrative? We’ve had wired and ces and state of plays, am i missing something?

Jim Ryan, the new CEO of SIE, recently said this during an interview with Game Industries, "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks — probably our main task — is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we’ve never delivered on before."

If I'm to take the new SIE's CEO at his word, then I think Sony will need to release the PS5 at 1) a very attractive price point, and 2) have games that would convince the mass of PS4 players to upgrade to the PS5. You can't do that if you launch with cross-generation games. But you can with exclusives, which is why from his quote I think Sony has more up their sleeves that they are not sharing at the moment. We'll 10 months from now.

Last edited:
But but but 'Teh Github leaks'

LED Guy?

Banned
I believe Jason.

He works for Kotaku and is one of the most reliable insiders you can get.
I don't a fuck know who that Russian guy is thats reporting PS5 launching with NO exclusives and Xbox launching with 16.

You'd have to be in another dimension of stupid to believe that.
Yeah I agree with you a 100%, I mean even Kleegamefan’s comments and inside information coincides perfectly with what Jason Schreier is saying all along.

Thanks for your contribution Osiris. Always look forward to your posts.

Can you answer one thing.

Have you seen any next gen games personally or heard of people talking about them? Can you perhaps describe what they look like? Or point to any current CG videos on youtube as a baseline for next gen visuals?

joe_zazen

Jim Ryan, the new CEO of SIE, recently said this during an interview with Game Industries, "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks — probably our main task — is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we’ve never delivered on before."

If I'm to take the new SIE's CEO at his word, then I think Sony will need to release the PS5 at 1) a very attractive price point, and 2) have games that would convince the mass of PS4 players to upgrade to the PS5. You can't do that if you launch with cross-generation games. But you can with exclusives, which is why from his quote I think Sony has more up their sleeves that they are not sharing at the moment. We'll 10 months from now.

cheers.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with you a 100%, I mean even Kleegamefan’s comments and inside information coincides perfectly with what Jason Schreier is saying all along.
It's what do they consider nearly identical?
Is a 10% gap still similar?
As far a graphics go, no one is going to be able to tell the difference between a game on a console with a 10% higher tflops. And reality is that any third party developers would develop the game on the less powerful one, and just port it lock stock over to the other. I cant imagine any third party games will look different. In the end exclusives will be the only difference, and the it will be art direction that makes one look better than the other.

Shmunter

I don't understand this logic. Especially if HZD on PC looks better than HZD2 on PS5.
Implying Sony's latest generation games on their latest hardware will target lower visuals than their last gen games on PC hardware where the majority of configs is lower specked than a Pro or X, much less than a new PS5 or Series X is pretty trolly.

Just when you had my attention with the HZD PC insider info, you pull out such nonsense. Oh well.

you aren’t getting confused with github docs getting removed?
Don't know. I just left my local EB games shop (yeah I still buy physical) and was talking to the guy there about what the new consoles were gonna be like, and he said that the official specs had been leaked on pastebin but Sony got them removed.
Could be the github leaks, would fit that.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Implying Sony's latest generation games on their latest hardware will target lower visuals than their last gen games on PC hardware where the majority of configs is lower specked than a Pro or X, much less than a new PS5 or Series X is pretty trolly.

Just when you had my attention with the HZD PC insider info, you pull out such nonsense. Oh well.

Because you don't understand hardware. It's not a trolly comment. It's a comment that is very valid to anyone who knows about development of assets.

The first thing you have to get out of your mind is that development on the current gen games was done on a PS4. That's false. Period. It was done on a PC with very powerful hardware. If you make an educated guess at the real world performance of a next-gen console being roughly a 1080Ti performance, try to run current gen games NOW on the PC with a 1080Ti @ true 4k (no checkerboard scaling), 4k texture maps with all graphical details set to Ultra and tell me how fast your frames are. That's essentially a PS5/XSX. Sacrifices will have to be made. And the first thing that goes is resolution, then textures, and on and on. Take it for what it's worth.

It is very possible that HZD on the PC, in it's original director's vision, can look better than the PS5 version of HZD2. The art direction is going to stay the same. There is literally nothing that a PS5/XSX can do performance wise to outshine a high-end 2080Ti and definitely not an Ampere card. Again, facts.,.

Last edited:

demigod

You guys are wasting your time with vfx. Someone should pull up his naughty dog quote, lol.

JLMC469

Banned
Don't know. I just left my local EB games shop (yeah I still buy physical) and was talking to the guy there about what the new consoles were gonna be like, and he said that the official specs had been leaked on pastebin but Sony got them removed.
Could be the github leaks, would fit that.

EB employees know less than us:messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Because you don't understand hardware. It's not a trolly comment. It's a comment that is very valid to anyone who knows about development of assets.

The first thing you have to get out of your mind is that development on the current gen games was done on a PS4. That's false. Period. It was done on a PC with very powerful hardware. If you make an educated guess at the real world performance of a next-gen console being roughly a 1080Ti performance, try to run current gen games NOW on the PC with a 1080Ti @ true 4k (no checkerboard scaling), 4k texture maps with all graphical details set to Ultra and tell me how fast your frames are. That's essentially a PS5/XSX. Sacrifices will have to be made. And the first thing that goes is resolution, then textures, and on and on. Take it for what it's worth.

It is very possible that HZD on the PC, in it's original director's vision, can look better than the PS5 version of HZD2. The art direction is going to stay the same. There is literally nothing that a PS5/XSX can do performance wise to outshine a high-end 2080Ti and definitely not an Ampere card. Again, facts.,.
Just ignored those fanboys they're not going to accept logical thinking anymore

FrozenFlame

I don't get the end of consoles + it's about ecosystems narrative. Sony revealed that they sold more than 100M consoles and if I'm not mistaken, their most profitable business is the gaming division (including the online services), so, what's the plan here? Focusing in publishing games? Making their own PC store? I honestly don't get it.

I'm happy for games to not chase native 4K. It's a huge waste of resources. Checkerboarding to 4K is way to go and save the rest for other effects.

That said a native 4K Horizon Zero Dawn with native assets will be a really clean and amazingly detailed game.

EDIT:

Asked Osiris this but he has yet to answer so i'll ask you. Have you seen or heard of any next gen games when it comes to visuals? Can you describe anything you saw or heard from devs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom