• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
ew

Looks like a PS4 game to me - draw distance is like 20m. How is this better than GoW ?
The reason I brought up God Fall was to prove a point, having 1 console (PS5) as opposed to having 2 consoles (Series S and Series X) does not change the way games are designed. They're only going to have visual modifications and that's it. Will there be that rare gem? Sure but that can go for either company at this point. But considering most games will be on PC now, does it matter?

Last edited:

benzy

I think OsirisBlack may have made a mistake here, It's why I have doubts with his sources as he was wrong with the PS4 Pro (PS4 Neo rumors at that time) rumors.

If I recall correctly he was actually the first to leak that there was even a PS4 Neo, and said it was twice the GPU power of a base PS4 (which was true, it ended up being a 2.27x improvement but that's close enough.), Also said it was $399 with Sony still debating on making it $499 instead with a new CPU. They ended up going $399 route but the clock frequency for PS4Pro CPU was still increased by 33% over base. The only thing he was wrong about was the Deep Down info and 4k bluray player, but leakers tend to throw in some false info to make it more difficult to find out who their sources are. He also said it would be revealed and released sooner than people thought, PS4Pro ended up releasing later that same year. He also mentioned God of War in the leak before Shinobi602 teased info on twitter.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony next time just show a "prettier" pretty cutscene tht won't be representative of the game at all better yet a live action trailer like other companies use to do 😭😂😂😂

First games released won't be innovative in anything except in pushing graphics and scope. None of what I saw from both parties wowed me but I was OK with it. Well after I saw actual gameplay of Godfall cant say the same for Hellblade as I didnt see any. If it's repetitive and as restricted as the first one it'll be a decent game but far from next Gen.

Last edited:
Sony next time just show a "prettier" pretty cutscene tht won't be representative of the game at all better yet a live action trailer like other companies use to do 😭😂😂😂

First games released won't be innovative in anything except in pushing graphics and scope. None of what I saw from both parties wowed me but I was OK with it. Well after I saw actual gameplay of Godfall cant say the same for Hellblade as I didnt see any. If it's repetitive and as restricted as the first one it'll be a decent game but far from next Gen.
What do you expect as far as innovative next-gen gameplay that's not already being done today? The only thing I see is more NPC on-screen and more choices and options. Aside from that, I can't see gaming evolving all that much.

Unless VR makes more strides, I feel it's more of the same.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
he said his dev sources gave him this info months ago. its possible this was before they received the devkits with hardware rt. they were probably emulating the rt using software ray tracing like the one we saw in the crytek demo.

both ms and sony should have the same hardware rt solutions. MS just seems a bit behind. jason confirmed this.
Oh OK OK, I understand now, sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: TLZ

Freeway

Neo Member
speaking of Deep Down, it looks like it was just added to the upcoming release list on GameStop.de? not sure if it was there before

tqtSafj.jpg

Gamernyc78

Banned
What do you expect as far as innovative next-gen gameplay that's not already being done today?

I don't I'm just going off someone's comment tht Godfall wasn't looking innovative. The most I expect is more online features and synchronization in games whatever tht looks like. Shinier graphics and most innovation at least on Sony's side coming from psvr. Tht in itself on consoles was more innovative and a diff way to play than anything in decades.

The place I hope thy innovate is in AL learning and reactions in games.

Reindeer

Bruh

I think a loot slasher definitely isn't going to be the definitive showing of next gen, but the particle effects, lighting, and textures look a clear bound above current gen to me. Also looks like it has some telltale signs of a smooth 60fps, even in this choppy video.
Nah, doesn't look much better than Destiny 2 maxed out. Uninspiring for next gen.

Disco_

I don't think it's The Order guys since they're working on a brand new IP (they confirmed it last year) and just noticed this on RAD website:

"We’re currently creating games for both AAA console and virtual reality audiences.."

So it probably is multiplatform.
When they say both, they don't mean both consoles, they mean console audience and vr audience.

xPikYx

So from one side we have hellblade2 looking truly next gen but "in engine" (so they still got room to downgrade it undefinitely) and on the other sude we have a current gen game with 60fps... Very good, kind of a shitty start

Shmunter

What do you expect as far as innovative next-gen gameplay that's not already being done today? The only thing I see is more NPC on-screen and more choices and options. Aside from that, I can't see gaming evolving all that much.

Inventing new gameplay occurs very rarely, bigger hardware does provide the best opportunity to do so. Sadly it still may not occur in this day and age of cookie cutter franchises and low risk investment. it really takes a visionary to show us something we never considered ourselves.

The simplest enhancements I hope to see is world simulation, things behaving as you’d expect. Wood splintering, liquid running, structures taking damage. Seeing physical properties behaving accordingly can hugely enhance immersion and add to gameplay in interesting ways.

Mrdeveus

Well there is something that @OsirisBlack have said that makes me question his sources and IF he is right, he said that Xbox Series X will have a GTX 1080 Ti levels of Ray Tracing so it means that it is software ray tracing meaning it is doing it through GPU shaders, which is completely false.

Microsoft did confirm multiple times that Xbox Series X will have hardware ray tracing that is going to be like Nvidia's RTX cards where it has dedicated hardware to simulate those effects. Look at all these times that they have said.

I think OsirisBlack may have made a mistake here, It's why I have doubts with his sources as he was wrong with the PS4 Pro (PS4 Neo rumors at that time) rumors.

KU6zoK9.png

kb4G4b3.png

what? He never said which console had that level he said one of them would be better than the other. Why do you Assume he was talking about the XseX?

Last edited:

demigod

Driveclub is no longer sold because of (some) the car licenses, that Sony thought it was not worth (too expensive) to renew.

I know Spider-Man sold well, but in the event of a falling out between SIE and Marvel, the license probably won't be renewed.

The movie dispute is already settled, I'm 100% sure we will see a sequel.

Mrdeveus

he said his dev sources gave him this info months ago. its possible this was before they received the devkits with hardware rt. they were probably emulating the rt using software ray tracing like the one we saw in the crytek demo.

both ms and sony should have the same hardware rt solutions. MS just seems a bit behind. jason confirmed this.

Jason said only behind on getting the dev kits out not behind on RT or any other factor in the console.

Zefros

Neo Member
I actually hope that sony buys the MGS franchise and just keeps it until kojima wants to finish the saga.

But for now who is the most realistic between capcom and konami? And is the roumour for sony, microsoft or both?

Last edited:

demigod

What did Dark Souls 3 innovate from 1 and 2?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All good OB. Was actually joking on that post. I care which is more powerful, because if xbox isnt more powerful, the bullshit will start up again. Resolutiongate and 4Kpr will make a ugly return lol.

Wait, are you trying to say only one side does this?

Were you too young for "grass gate" and every other BS that spawned out of the dawn of DF in the PS360 era?

It doesn’t matter anymore as it’s not visible to human eyes sitting at 6 feet away from screen anymore . Unlike 720p vs 1080p that was obvious to everyone

I play my games at 300x zoom, thank you very much! Good day to you sir, I said good day!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
So from one side we have hellblade2 looking truly next gen but "in engine" (so they still got room to downgrade it undefinitely) and on the other sude we have a current gen game with 60fps... Very good, kind of a shitty start
To be honest Uncharted 4 did the 'in engine' thing on the beach, with him washed up a few years ago with just as good if not better animation and detail... what made an impression for me with the Hellblade 2 trailer was the dark tone and crazy facial expressions. You just don't get to see it taken to that extreme in other games.

"Maxed out" - so not on 8th gen consoles then, right?

Not saying it's the most amazing showing of next gen, but it clearly looks a step beyond current gen to me. It definitely doesn't look like crap.

It's mainly just the lighting and some of the metal surface reflections. I don't think it looks like crap either, but it's not a "clear" step beyond current-gen's top of the line offerings, visually.

That said people should keep in mind different games have different aims for budget and style choices, including the visuals. For GodFall's artstyle, the technical side of the visuals fit well. Also chances are it'll be 60FPS since it's a looter, so by default it's not going to have as pretty or good-looking visual flash as a 30FPS cinematic type of game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony Pictures own only the movie rights to the characters of the Sony Marvel Universe, NOT the characters, only the movie rights.
SIE owns absolutely nothing regarding Marvel's characters and has no benefit of Sony Pictures rights.

They kissed and made up, and Sony made out even better than before the Disney/Marvel strong-arm attempt.

Spider-Man will be getting its sequel. Both companies are not leaving that juggernaut (pun intended) money on the table.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
They kissed and made up, and Sony made out even better than before the Disney/Marvel strong-arm attempt.

Spider-Man will be getting its sequel. Both companies are not leaving that juggernaut (pun intended) money on the table.
Rumour has it that the new Disney/Sony deal allows some MCU characters to come into Sony's Spider-verse.

Morbius trailer suggests this also.

vpance

Well there is something that @OsirisBlack have said that makes me question his sources and IF he is right, he said that Xbox Series X will have a GTX 1080 Ti levels of Ray Tracing so it means that it is software ray tracing meaning it is doing it through GPU shaders, which is completely false.

Microsoft did confirm multiple times that Xbox Series X will have hardware ray tracing that is going to be like Nvidia's RTX cards where it has dedicated hardware to simulate those effects. Look at all these times that they have said.

KU6zoK9.png

kb4G4b3.png

Or maybe just a shitty implementation of hardware accelerated RT explains it.

Reindeer

"Maxed out" - so not on 8th gen consoles then, right?

Not saying it's the most amazing showing of next gen, but it clearly looks a step beyond current gen to me. It definitely doesn't look like crap.
Well, it's still a game from this gen and we can all agree that games on consoles usually look considerably better than prior gen games on PC.

geordiemp

If you look at something like god war, their are 4 or 5 animated enemies on screen (maybe up to 8) with certain moves and AI, limited by old CPUs.

I expect better gameplay with more enemies and better AI, more immersive battles and gradiose, No I dont zoom in 300X to see ants crawling on Bark.

The new CPUs will hopefully allow massive potential game play changes, although if written for the old Ps4 / Xb1 they will not.

Last edited:
If you look at something like god war, their are 4 or 5 animated enemies on screen (maybe up to 8) with certain moves and AI, limited by old CPUs.

I expect better gameplay with more enemies and better AI, more immersive battles and gradiose, No I dont zoom in 300X to see ants crawling on Bark.

The new CPUs will hopefully allow massive potential game play changes, although if written for the old Ps4 / Xb1 they will not.
That makes sense, more varied gameplay will be welcomed for sure.

Smoke6

lol obsidian and ninja theory werent cheap or small devs on the verge of bankruptcy. they are about the same size as naughty dog, GG, Evo and sucker punch when they were bought out by sony.

you dont go and buy 500 man teams like cyberpunk. 100 dev teams is what you want to buy. doesnt mean they are are cheap or on the verge of bankruptcy.

Umm sorry to break it to you but I’m quite sure ninja theory did a video explaining why they decided to get purchased due to them having no money! It wasn’t looking quite good for them and they were banking on the pitch of a title that was in the works!

Obsidian has always been close to MS so I can’t speak on that one tho!

Niked

Umm sorry to break it to you but I’m quite sure ninja theory did a video explaining why they decided to get purchased due to them having no money! It wasn’t looking quite good for them and they were banking on the pitch of a title that was in the works!

Obsidian has always been close to MS so I can’t speak on that one tho!

Yep, here it is. They nearly closed the shop.

Last edited:
No cap and gown I ain't go to class
I rather die before I come in last

I ain't felt like this in a long time
I ain't have shit in a long time
Just to feel like this it took a long time (yeah)
Just to look like this it took a long time (yeah)

Hold up I'm tryna do something right now
Just leave me alone
Just to feel like this it took a long time

Blue black jean Jacket
Got Vlone on me
Got these bad ass bitch
Wanna fuck me and my homie
Got these bad ass bitch
Tryna fuck me and my homie
Shorty gon' suck to the money
I can't wife no thotties
Pass that bih to the homie
I just fucked your thottie
I ain't even pass her to homie

I'd rather get caught with it than without it
Wake up and smell the motherfuckin' coffee/coffin?
I'm bout to put these boys in a coffin

I ain't feel like this in a long time
I ain't feel like this in a long time

No cap and gown I ain't go to class
I'd rather die before I come in last

I ain't had shit in a long time

Just to feel like this took a long time
Just to feel like this took a long time
Sing that shit!

Or maybe just a shitty implementation of hardware accelerated RT explains it.

How would they have a shitty implementation when they've been working with Nvidia regards RT on the PC side?

See, it doesn't logically add up. We don't even honestly know where Sony or MS's RT is until we really see it and they go into it more in-depth...which is probably still a few months away.

If that's standard IQ for next gen then I'll be very disappointed.

Personally don't think it's bad IQ-wise, but visually as a whole just don't see GodFall as a "very clear" generational leap, and it doesn't have to be. It's not "that" kind of game.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned

Use your imagination, games are far from perfect

Imagine GTA game but with 100% destructible environment, buildings with interior, more physics.

It would be epic to down the whole City block with attack helicopter.

Games are really static now, cant move stuff, cant destroy stuff.

Also some kind of "Westworld" style A.I. that writes lines and quests on the fly would be game changer, but we are far away from that.

But even much better physics would be re-freshing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom