• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocoJoe

Banned
but Days Gone and Killzone are shit... 🤷‍♂️

Bit stupid and childish statement.

Do you realise that if you think that those are shit, then what games that are really bad are, ultra super turbo shit?

I get it if someone calls them average, but saying that(shit) about games that are good games in their genre is pushing it.

I really disliked mario Odyssey, super boring and repetitive. But it doesnt make it shitty game, it is just game/genre that I dont like.

Why would they have their engine ported to PC and then limit to just offering multiplayer? That doesn't make much sense. The whole selling point of the game is single player and that's what PC gamers want. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think it's just multiplayer.
They are two separate games. Only rumored part is fractions. I doubt Sony gives a f what pc gamers want. Sony only cares about the microtransactions they can obtain. That’s what they keep doing, predator, readyset heros, probably dreams, etc.

What's your criteria to judge the game as being shit? Metacritic? By that same criteria both Days Gone and Killzone are shit as well yet you brought them up.

top games you mentioned were ori and sunset overdrive. Days Gone and Killzone match anything else you mentioned, yet they are shit. Astro Bot, Flower, Shadow of Colossus, Bloodborne, Journey, Uncharted 4, God Of War, The Last of Us..

Reindeer

They are two separate games. Only rumored part is fractions. I doubt Sony gives a f what pc gamers want. Sony only cares about the microtransactions they can obtain. That’s what they keep doing, predator, readyset heros, probably dreams, etc.

top games you mentioned were ori and sunset overdrive. Days Gone and Killzone match anything else you mentioned, yet they are shit. Astro Bot, Flower, Shadow of Colossus, Bloodborne, Journey, Uncharted 4, God Of War, The Last of Us..
Like I already said, it makes no sense to port the engine and not port single player. If Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC then TLOU2 is very likely too.

I never said Killzone or Days Gone were shit games, you should go back and read the convo again. I said if Killer Instinct and Quantum Break are shit as the guy I was responding to claimed because of their 70s something Metacritic scores, then by that logic Days Gone and Killzone would be shit too because they were received with similar scores. I actually said I think Days Gone is 8/10 game.

Last edited:
That means 60CUs.
Probably 3 SEs with all DCUs enabled (30 DCUs).

There is no way to get 60CUs with 4 SEs... because you can disabled 4DCUs (8CUs) per SE each time... that give you 80, 72, 64, 56, etc.

If we suppose Retail PS4 will have CUs disabled then we have 3 DCUs (6CUs) disabled:

PS5 Retail? 3 SEs, 27 DCUs, 54CUs
11.20 TFs @ 1614Mhz
11.75 TFs @ 1700Mhz
12.44 TFs @ 1800Mhz

That is not a big chip btw.

Referencing the RDNA Whitepaper, Scalability with RDNA is achieved through scaling the Shader Arrays rather than Shader Engines.

So 30 WGPs could be 15 WGP per SE, 5 WGP per SA (so 3x SAs per SE) -- with each SA including: 1x Prim Unit, 4x RBs, 1x Rasteriser and L1 cache (so identical SA to the 5700XT).

They can extend the number of ACEs and beef out the HW scheduling and geometry processor resources in the FE if required, to keep a good balance between FE performance and the rest of the GPU pipeline.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
What games are you looking forward to playing?

Halo would be my pick. Still undecided which console to purchase first. Leaning towards XBOX because of Halo Infinite but (historically) I’ve bought Sony’s console first (PS2, PS3 & PS4).

Decisions, decisions...

ethomaz

Banned
Referencing the RDNA Whitepaper, Scalability with RDNA is achieved through scaling the Shader Arrays rather than Shader Engines.

So 30 WGPs could be 15 WGP per SE, 5 WGP per SA (so 3x SAs per SE) -- with each SA including: 1x Prim Unit, 4x RBs, 1x Rasteriser and L1 cache (so identical SA to the 5700XT).

They can extend the number of ACEs and beef out the HW scheduling and geometry processor resources in the FE if required, to keep a good balance between FE performance and the rest of the GPU pipeline.
That works too but the number CUs having to be disabled for balance increase... it means 6 WGP being disabled that ends up being 12CUs.
Unless you are going for full enabled chip I don't think anybody will use that option.

Big Navi will give us a better ideia of what AMD is planning.

Last edited:

Chromata

Halo would be my pick. Still undecided which console to purchase first. Leaning towards XBOX because of Halo Infinite but (historically) I’ve bought Sony’s console first (PS2, PS3 & PS4).

Decisions, decisions...

From the leaks so far, it sounds like the XSX will be a better launch purchase. Microsoft has a lot of new games coming and most of them will be available through game pass.

I'm more excited about Sony's first party, but other than Horizon 2 and Bluepoint's title, I don't see what they can throw out during PS5's launch.

Banned

Decisions, decisions...

I will get the Xbox for Halo for sure (My PC isn't nearly as powerful as the Series X, even the lower estimates and I don't plan upgrading this year). there is no game on PS5 that could sway me to change that plan (ok maybe there are some, but a AAA Soul Reaver 3 or Shadow of Rome 2 that are also PS5 exclusive is an unrealistic scenario...)
but I'll get the PS5 within the first year for sure.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Like I already said, it makes no sense to port the engine and not port single player. If Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC then TLOU2 is very likely too.

I never said Killzone or Days Gone were shit games, you should go back and read the convo again. I said if Killer Instinct and Quantum Break are shit as the guy I was responding to claimed because of their 70s something Metacritic scores, then by that logic Days Gone and Killzone would be shit too because they were received with similar scores. I actually said I think Days Gone is 8/10 game.
Wouldn't it make more sense to release TLOU before TLOU2?
again if true, Horizon is an odd choice other than the work with tee engine is already been done with Death Stranding.
Even so that can be Sony making a buck of a buck spent

Reindeer

Wouldn't it make more sense to release TLOU before TLOU2?
again if true, Horizon is an odd choice other than the work with tee engine is already been done with Death Stranding.
Even so that can be Sony making a buck of a buck spent
I think porting Part 2 would be easier because they are currently developing it and already porting engine to PC. To port the first game they would need to port that engine first and then also assign people to port the game as well. They could maybe port first game down the line along with Uncharted Collection (I'm not sure this will happen), but porting Part 2 is way easier development wise.

HZD makes sense because the engine has been ported.

Last edited:

Brudda26

I think porting Part 2 would be easier because they are currently developing it and already porting engine to PC. To port the first game they would need to port that engine first and then also assign people to port the game as well. They could maybe port first game down the line along with Uncharted Collection (I'm not sure this will happen), but porting Part 2 is way easier development wise.

HZD makes sense because the engine has been ported.
Where the hell did you get they are already porting part II engine over to PC. That hasn't been said anywhere, and if your going of job listings. A naughty dog listing back in 2015 had PC experience as a requirement and in 2018 experience with nvidia or GCN. They literally want people with an understanding of graphics coding it doesnt specifically have to be nvidia. Making stuff up because you want something jeez.

Yep, here it is. They nearly closed the shop.

They wernt looking to close the doors when MS bought them. They were riding high off that Senua money.
They were ready to shut the doors years ago until Sony gave them a lifeline and financed them to do Heavenly Sword. However Sony pissed them off a bit because straight after they finished, Sony pulled the rug out from them taking all their tools away that they had been working on and developed for HS. (Sony said it was their IP).

Its pretty amazing what they put out with only 20 staff and a limited budget.

Reindeer

Where the hell did you get they are already porting part II engine over to PC. That hasn't been said anywhere, and if your going of job listings. A naughty dog listing back in 2015 had PC experience as a requirement and in 2018 experience with nvidia or GCN. They literally want people with an understanding of graphics coding it doesnt specifically have to be nvidia. Making stuff up because you want something jeez.
Sure you could say that those things taken alone would not be enough to assume this, but taking into account new strategy Sony have with their exclusives games being in more places than one and strong rumours by credible insiders that their other exclusives are coming to PC, we can come to a highly possible scenario that they are porting their engine and games.

The fact that these job listings were a while back doesn't prove your point, it can very easily be explained that Sony were planning for this a while back. You think porting Decima engine was an overnight job?

Brudda26

Sure you could say that those things taken alone would not be enough to assume this, but taking into account new strategy Sony have with their exclusives games being in more places than one and strong rumours by credible insiders that their other exclusives are coming to PC, we can come to a highly possible scenario that they are porting their engine and games.

The fact that these job listings were a while back doesn't prove your point, it can very easily be explained that Sony were planning for this a while back. You think porting Decima engine was an overnight job?
Doesnt matter about this or that, your going around saying they are porting over the engine as if its fact. Stop spreading false information simply because it fits your narrative. Find concrete information first you start saying that kind of stuff.

nowhat

We already have some now so I don't see why not. Some studios will probably not just because of the cost of the license
Dolby Vision? You sure about that? I thought it required some hardware support from the consoles as well - and as pretty much all of the fat is trimmed from manufacturing/licensing costs with the consoles, I don't necessarily see either upcoming console supporting it. HDR10+ on the other hand, that is quite likely.

Reindeer

Doesnt matter about this or that, your going around saying they are porting over the engine as if its fact. Stop spreading false information simply because it fits your narrative. Find concrete information first you start saying that kind of stuff.
I never said it's a fact, but it's highly probable based on factors I already mentioned. The fact that you font even think this might happen at all while ignoring these factors tells me it's more about you not wanting it to happen.

Imtjnotu

Dolby Vision? You sure about that? I thought it required some hardware support from the consoles as well - and as pretty much all of the fat is trimmed from manufacturing/licensing costs with the consoles, I don't necessarily see either upcoming console supporting it. HDR10+ on the other hand, that is quite likely.
Mass effect and battlefield 5 both support it

Brudda26

I never said it's a fact, but it's highly probable based on factors I already mentioned. The fact that you font even think this might happen at all while ignoring these factors tells me it's more about you not wanting it to happen.
You literally said they are porting it over to PC. And please tell where I said it wont happen? I'm not against it only thing I'm against is people making stuff up.

why wouldnt it make sense. Port every naughty dog game then. No one is going to buy a PS5 for last of us fractions. It isn’t a system seller. It’s already been told that PS5 will have system exclusives, Horizon Zero Dawn coming to Pc doesn’t prove TLOU2 is coming to PC. If anything TLOU1, another old ass exclusive.
I said if Killer Instinct and Quantum Break are shit as the guy I was responding to claimed because of their 70s something Metacritic scores, then by that logic Days Gone and Killzone would be shit too because they were received with similar scores.
no, you mentioned metacritic. By metacritic the top 10 exclusive games of xb1, only Forza Horizon 3&4 are above 90. Days Gone and Killzone are average 70 games, which is low tier games on PS4 for exclusives. Crackdown, Ryse, Knack1.. thats the actual shit.

Reindeer

You literally said they are porting it over to PC. And please tell where I said it wont happen? I'm not against it only thing I'm against is people making stuff up.
You didn't have to say it, it's the way you brushed it off without even considering that it could be happening. Yes, I do believe they are porting their engine to PC based on some very strong evidence, but I haven't claimed this as definite fact. I may be wrong, but it seems to be lining up nicely with what Sony is doing these days. Remember, they own both Death Stranding and Quantic Dream IPs, yet they are on PC. Sure, you could say those are second party games, but Sony owns the IPs and allowed them to go to PC. And now we are hearing rumours of first party exclusives going to PC. It's happening and it seems inevitable.

Last edited:
Haha thanks guys . BUt its too late for feb 5.sony sends invites 3 weeks ahead . So our only hope is feb 12 and that means either tomorrow or day after tomorrow they need to send the invites

Reindeer

no, you mentioned metacritic. By metacritic the top 10 exclusive games of xb1, only Forza Horizon 3&4 are above 90. Days Gone and Killzone are average 70 games, which is low tier games on PS4 for exclusives. Crackdown, Ryse, Knack1.. thats the actual shit.
Dude, I don't know why you keep bringing this up, you are totally missing the context. Look, I wasn't the one who brought up those games initially, it was a reply to someone who brought them up and compared them. I was just trying to point out the flaws and bias in his argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom