• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
1UDY.gif

cESTSAx.gif

CyberPanda

Banned
It sounds right to me. The XseX doesn't need elegant solutions or optimizations, she's got FU flops.
Its true, foxy games doesn’t know anything. He just tweets whatever, and hope he gets clicks. He’s not a reliable insider at all, and has been wrong many times.

FranXico

The reason Techland delayed Dying Light 2 is because it ran so poorly on the base Xbox One but yeah Techland is Microsoft now. Remedy and Housemargue are in the final stages of being required by Sony, it’s not a done deal just yet.
Do you have any idea if either bought Bluepoint?

Nickolaidas

XSX: 16GB GDDR6
PS5: 18GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4
SSD: 2.3GB/S x 5GB/s

These are genuinely my guesses. Also according to our own Osiris, PS5 devkit is insanely loud and PS5's RT solution is indeed better than XSX's.
B-b-buh buh buh buh buh Tommy told us that the ps5/series x fan noise won't be as big of a difference as the pro/X was!!!!
I was trying to work out how to read that line given it reads like XSX is louder than PS5, but I’m guessing he intended it as the opposite.

So PS5 noise is louder than XSX which would fall in line with Osiris.
Yeah, I was also impressed with Tommy leaking the fact that the ps5's ssd is said to be twice as fast as series x's.

Of course, everyone and their mother knew that by now, but still, solid leak!

Nickolaidas

What the hell is going on? Is @Tommy Fisher legit?
Yeah.

A legit joke.

He's leaking stuff he hears from other people and takes advantage of the fact that people have short memories and cannot fully recall every single 'leak' from every single person.

I swear, next time we have a ps6/nextbox thread, I am going to document every single piece of info to immediately sort out the true insiders from the attention whores and call out their bullshit.

I am going to be an attention whore prosecutor.

ZywyPL

Banned
To the tech savy gaffers, Could Sony use the extra power of the ps5 to upscale image quality in psvr the reduce the screen door effect?

With a patch, easily.

while everyone else is saying the consoles are basically twins except for a couple differences like the SSD he makes it sound like the PS5 has a very monstrous difference than the XseX

His numbers are a mere few % more here and there, that not what any sane person would call "monstrous "...

its safe to say that no one knows shit about shit.

we wont know shit until the shit is revealed

Well, on one side you have Spencer/Cerny, MS/Sony execs, all the devs and publishers, people who are directly involved into next-gen, and on the other side you have just some random unknown people from the internet that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, throwing some random stuff. It's all people's choice of which side they want to ignore and which one to follow.

Nickolaidas

I vote for this man to be nailed to a cross if he is wrong on any of the above.

And yet again "SOON". For the love of all that is holy, WTF does that even mean anymore? Been hearing SOON for weeks now. How SOON is SOON ????

Gimme a date goddamnit
I don't question the validity of his statements as much as I question the fact that he steals other insiders' leaks and presents them as his own, mixing them with his own speculation to make it more unique.

Notice Osiris' phrasing when asked about Tommy.
@Tommy Fisher
Guess you famous now huh
OHnGHNG.jpg
A HUGE gaf insider ...

And people wonder why the internet isn't taking us seriously.

Actually 52CUs is not possible with RDNA.

52CUs means 26WGP... 26 can’t be divided by 4SA (min), 6SA, 8SA, etc.

The only possibility is if we have 2 SA and that means each SE has one SA making it similar to GCN.
I don’t believe AMD will do that with RDNA... it is at minimum 2SA per SE.

So 52CUs in RDNA is impossible.

so the RX5700 non-XT with 36 active CUs / 18 WGPs and 4 Shader Arrays does not exist?

:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
A big box with plenty of room where you don't have to design each piece to fit like tetris pieces is probably cheaper than a smaller box where things are tailored to fit perfectly together. If the dev kit leak is any indication, that's all it could be. Head over to b3d where people are showing concern over the rear intake and possible air flow issues. "tower design"=/=automatically better.

Keep in mind those guys aren't idiots like most of us here. They actually know what they're talking about.

On such a small scale, 12" height, stack effect isn't a thing.
Why not, we don't know the design of the inside. How easy would it be to have vents over most the back, its been designed with vents at the bottom and one at the top for some for some reason. Just my theory anyway.

R600

Banned
What basis was Matt even going by to reach the conclusion that Github leak wasn't right? I'd like to know; it's easy enough to throw it out on a whim, but we've seen so many other GPU testing with those chips basically lining up with similar performance targets.

...and they're the only ones in relation to PS5 that have actually leaked which have hard data tied to them.
He posted vague message that can be interpreted however you want. He implied its not full picture, but if PS5 comes up with RT but same specs you will see Matt saying "Told you it was incomplete".

The fact that 2 new OTs were opened in matter of days there and no "insider" came to say anything regarding Github is telling. Klee saying, after 2 weeks, that his specs dont match to Github numbers but also saying he is verified but his source is not is another telltale sign. He requested ban after that...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So, now we have the PS5 being faster with RT, faster GPU, faster CPU, smaller form factor, more memory and faster, and better SSD, all cheaper than the next Xbox and releasing sooner, with a sht load of launch games, all that people want, with full BC.

Seems legit.

Either Sony are the best company ever and Ms are by far the worst at this stuff and don’t listen, orrrrr...... something isn’t quite right.

Nah who am I kidding, the next Xbox will likely be this bad anyways, sadly.

Last edited:

Ellery

So the PS event teaser went live on Feb 1st 2013. May be we hear something next week then?

That is what people are hoping for, but we have nothing official that points to that. Only chatter and rumors.

Impossible to say when Sony will make their move or even make an educated guess. They have been mostly quiet besides two WIRED articles, but at some point they have to come out and show it. It will definitely happen this year, most likely in the very near future, but maybe they thought it would be better to wait a bit longer and do something around the same time E3 takes places. Who really knows besides the people that are actually involved.

Even though things can get heated around this topic and drift into console wars or toxicity it is still a very special ride of hype that only comes every 7 years and it should be enjoyed. I love speculating on this topic for the most part, and even though my time would be better spend not caring at all and just buy the damn hardware box when it comes out, I still love doing it.

Reindeer

CPUGPUSSDRTRAM
XSX3.5 Ghz11-12TF1TB 2.3GB/sSimilar to 1080Ti16GB GDDR6 (+ 4GB DDR4?)
PS53.2 Ghz12-13TF1TB 5GB/sSimilar to RTX series18GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4

Here's my two cents. About the 18GB I have no idea how that will work but I have a good reason to believe it. Maybe there's some 2GB reserved separately for the RT? No idea.
Why would XSX RT be similar to 1080TI when it has hardware based solution while 1080TI is doing it through software? That makes zero sense.

Last edited:
That is what people are hoping for, but we have nothing official that points to that. Only chatter and rumors.

Impossible to say when Sony will make their move or even make an educated guess. They have been mostly quiet besides two WIRED articles, but at some point they have to come out and show it. It will definitely happen this year, most likely in the very near future, but maybe they thought it would be better to wait a bit longer and do something around the same time E3 takes places. Who really knows besides the people that are actually involved.

Even though things can get heated around this topic and drift into console wars or toxicity it is still a very special ride of hype that only comes every 7 years and it should be enjoyed. I love speculating on this topic for the most part, and even though my time would be better spend not caring at all and just buy the damn hardware box when it comes out, I still love doing it.

Couldn't have agreed more.

MS are 'getting out of the console war' so it wouldnt surprise me if the Series X is half assed in all honesty. Whereas Sony it's like more than a 1/3 of their entire business so the console is critical.

Also, MS will put out a Pro version I reckon of Series X next year I reckon.

Top post

Yeah, pretty much.

I don't think even folks who got the dev kits know much.. Sony & MS are keeping it tight

Nickolaidas

So, now we have the PS5 being faster with RT, faster GPU, faster CPU, smaller form factor, more memory and faster, and better SSD, all cheaper than the next Xbox and releasing sooner, with a sht load of launch games, all that people want, with full BC.

Seems legit.

Either Sony are the best company ever and Ms are by far the worst at this stuff and don’t listen, orrrrr...... something isn’t quite right.

Don't forget that he told us to lower our expectations. (He was probably copy-pasting klee at the time)

Actually 52CUs is not possible with RDNA.

52CUs means 26WGP... 26 can’t be divided by 4SA (min), 6SA, 8SA, etc.

The only possibility is if we have 2 SA and that means each SE has one SA making it similar to GCN.
I don’t believe AMD will do that with RDNA... it is at minimum 2SA per SE.

So 52CUs in RDNA is impossible.
Yes it is, if some of the CUs are disabled/fused off to maximize yields. 56CU (28wgp) with 4CU (2wgp) disabled is feasible. 60(30) with 8(4) disabled, etc. All very possible.

5700 non-xt is proof with 40(20) with 4(2) disabled.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Seems legit.

nah it’s only legit when the leaks say ps5 is 9tf while the Xbox is 12tf

Ellery

So, now we have the PS5 being faster with RT, faster GPU, faster CPU, smaller form factor, more memory and faster, and better SSD, all cheaper than the next Xbox and releasing sooner, with a shot load of launch games, all that people want, with full BC.

Seems legit.

To be fair the PS4 actually was 40% faster than the Xbox One and 100$ cheaper.

(But I am with you on this one. I think that post is absolute BS and just random nonsense to fuel a console war.)

Yeah, pretty much.

I don't think even folks who got the dev kits know much.. Sony & MS are keeping it tight

Yup and one thing many seem to forget is that Devkits are not necessarily very close to the retail product that consumers are going to buy in November this year.
I think at some point (maybe those were just rumors so don't take my word for it) the PS4 devkit had a GTX 680 or something. A GPU that was twice as powerful as what eventually made it into the PS4.

So even if people have information on the Devkits it might not be very useful to us. Or maybe they have heard things about it, but due to a lack of hardware knowledge they don't know how to translate the information they have.

It also it quite possible that amongst the plethora of leaks we got that an actual legit one is in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom