• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol MS was never considering cancelling the Xbox division. If this were actually something they considered in 2015-2016, why is there only a single tweet from one person that can be referenced? Rumors that big with some bit of substance to them, would be getting reported on by everyone. Tons of journalists, Youtubers, IGN, Wired, Gamasutra, WCC, Forbes etc.

That should probably indicate there wasn't much smoke to that rumor, so no fire. But yeah, they were in a shitty place at that time and needed to rethink a lot of things.

They may have the dates wrong, as it was 2013-2014 when we heard the most noise about Xbox being spun off (which would have led to its death) or being sold off, but it did happen. Shareholders had been wanting MS to drop Xbox for a decade. They had never made up for the billions that they lost on R&D, selling HW at a loss, and RROD from the Xbox and 360. With Ballmer leaving, and a new CEO coming in, they thought they had a good shot at it happening. Bill Gates even stated that he was fine with spinning off the division into its own company. And without MS's resources, the company would have died. I believe it was rumored that one of the choices for CEO, Alan Mulally, would have done just that.

However, the new CEO, Nadella, chose to keep the Xbox division. Though, it was very obvious that he cut their budget drastically. Very few 3rd party exclusive games or DLC, whether timed or true. Many projects were scrapped. And ones that did finally release were mediocre, at best, with only a couple of exceptions that were actually good. A far cry from the 360 era. It is pretty obvious that they have an improved budget to start the next gen with. Of course, this is the norm. If the XBSX doesn't pan out, you can bet the budget will be cut, again. Or, at the very least, be taken from a focus on funding HW to more xCloud funding, where Nadella's true passion lies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
They may have the dates wrong, as it was 2013-2014 when we heard the most noise about Xbox being spun off (which would have led to its death) or being sold off, but it did happen. Shareholders had been wanting MS to drop Xbox for a decade. They had never made up for the billions that they lost on R&D, selling HW at a loss, and RROD from the Xbox and 360. With Ballmer leaving, and a new CEO coming in, they thought they had a good shot at it happening. Bill Gates even stated that he was fine with spinning off the division into its own company. And without MS's resources, the company would have died. I believe it was rumored that one of the choices for CEO, Alan Mulally, would have done just that.

However, the new CEO, Nadella, chose to keep the Xbox division. Though, it was very obvious that he cut their budget drastically. Very few 3rd party exclusive games or DLC, whether timed or true. Many projects were scrapped. And ones that did finally release were mediocre, at best, with only a couple of exceptions that were actually good. A far cry from the 360 era. It is pretty obvious that they have an improved budget to start the next gen with. Of course, this is the norm. If the XBSX doesn't pan out, you can bet the budget will be cut, again. Or, at the very least, be taken from a focus on funding HW to more xCloud funding, where Nadella's true passion lies.
We will never know if the 360 made its money I think it did easy selling 80 million consoles gold and lots of 3rd party games for a cut of them. The problem is it was reported with big time losers like zune and other non core MS ventures that failed that made it look bad in quarter reports. After seeing Google crash and burn with stardia I doubt the MS is hopefully a cloud venture in gaming will work outside supplementing the ecosystem as a perk for ultimate to get that 15 a month for users who might use it time to time on the go.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Love this post so much.

Yeah 37 here and still love gaming.

Unfortunately moneyhatting is what gets people to choose one system over the other so that will never go away. Afterall business is business and we'er all dollar potential dollar signs to these corporations.

Can't wait to see the first next gen games gameplay in uncompressed 4K on my tv. I'm sure i'm going to need a few babywipes and a bottle lotion.

Damn! Am I the only one here in their 40's? I NEVER thought I'd be 'that old dude' playing games. Then again, I kind of got into them late...PS2 but got hooked. I'm going to get a PS5 regardless of all the drama around "power" because of exclusives. BUT, if there IS a big and noticeable power difference I MIGHT get both. I'm kind of doubting that will happen though. Time will tell!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Damn! Am I the only one here in their 40's? I NEVER thought I'd be 'that old dude' playing games. Then again, I kind of got into them late...PS2 but got hooked. I'm going to get a PS5 regardless of all the drama around "power" because of exclusives. BUT, if there IS a big and noticeable power difference I MIGHT get both. I'm kind of doubting that will happen though. Time will tell!
I'm also the old guy yelling at the clouds nearing the big 50. I'll end up with both but series x first because of gamepass then PS5 for exclusives after a price drop or slim.

Neo Blaster

43 here, pal, gaming since Odissey² and struggling to find time nowadays.

Last edited:

42. Currently busy with Switch. Will buy PS5 next.

VN1X

Banned
I am 32 and playing through Onimusha on Switch for the first time and recently bought Ace Combat 6 after absolutely loving Skies Unknown.

I'm so hipster I don't even play current-gen games!

Nickolaidas

Hey all,

Long time reader here in this thread. I'm really excited to see where next-gen consoles take us. Even at 35, I'll never waver on my passion for gaming, especially with my young son enjoying Minecraft, etc.

It is really fun to read those who research and delve so far in-depth of what "might be" related to Sony, be it leaks or whatnot.

Personally, I don't think there will be any discernable difference between the two systems.

Maybe the SSD, but GPU and CPU will probably be 10% or less by the time finalized kits hit in June.

Everybody sat around for months scoffing at ideas such as 12TF, SSDs, Ray Tracing, and many other high-end predictions. All of sudden, it came true.

I don't find Sony's relative silence all that worrisome, honestly. For a company to just show a logo and send people into a frenzy, I think they've got it made. They just need to capitalize on it when the reveal comes around.

We shall see, but I feel confident both systems will be a win for gamers and neither will have any real edge.

The only thing, as a gamer, I *don't* want to see is a bunch of "moneyhatting" by either party.

I'm just not a fan, because though it wasn't entirely a moneyhat, having to buy an Xbox for Shenmue II in the US ticked me off in yesteryear.
Welcome! Don't be a jerk on the forums, as we lack a vacant position.

Nickolaidas

40 years old for the past 3.5 weeks.

Shmunter

Don’t worry bro, I got your back

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
All this time I imagined you were Jack Whitehall.

4ky4RVp.gif

DrDamn

Well into my 40s here. Time to play is the biggest problem for me, and those young 'uns cheating with their honed reflexes when I play online 😄

I'll be going PS5 at launch and XSX a year after that. Only recently got an X1X and never went Pro on PS4, so that helps make my choices of what and when.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Team 35 here, btw. And in a house of gamers, all of us. Walking through town the other day my three year old daughter smacked a poor kid down because he said “look mummy mario!”. My kid was right in telling them it was Luigi, actually.

She’s even on the right brother team. That’s my girl.

#LuigiAlwaysWins

molly14

Nevermind 40s,am I the only one in their 50s (52) still gaming after 45 years and loving it still.

Moses85

Team 35 here, btw. And in a house of gamers, all of us. Walking through town the other day my three year old daughter smacked a poor kid down because he said “look mummy mario!”. My kid was right in telling them it was Luigi, actually.

She’s even on the right brother team. That’s my girl.

#LuigiAlwaysWins

Me too! Since today 😂 I was hoping for a personal birthday present by Sony. I give them a little bit more time.

Fenris Wolf

Your daily pastebin/Reddit

$400 for a 10Tf i would call that a win

I don't know who made this or even if it is mentioned somewhere but it's not new. It's from that old pastebin post from around november-october 2018 (not sure exactly but i think this post was made before Sony announces their absence at E3 2019)

And it's currently deleted from that site. I think some of the details are kinda correct.

P.S: I think i read somewhere that the next BF will release 2021 if i'm not mistaking. Also based on recent rumors and leaks, Rockstar is working on GTA6. But again anyone can pull this stuff out of their ass.

Last edited:

MARTYWOLF

Here ya go folks someone from SOCTRONICS linkedin (wont be posting there name) seen it here first SPARKMAN IS HAPPENING!!

At neogaf we find things unlike that other forum ahhaha i kid resetera
uEdcPop.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Mass Shift

I found this Albert Penello post interesting from Resetera interesting. Someone asked himif it would be more cost effective to maximize a 36 cu chip or just design a new one.

if sony is trying to maximise oberon or they decided to scrap it summer of 2019 and make a new chip....well someone fucked up royally. Of course maybe oberon is sony’s lockhart. Or 1/2 of a dual set up. Or a rejected chip and they are scrambling to build a 13tf one. Or they had two design teams making two separate products, or, or, or....

Such a good mystery, cant wait to see how it turns out.

That would be a very very odd turn of events. A reworked or re-planned PS5 in 2019 definitely would run counter to all the rumors of the PS5 being more powerful than the Series X.

*More importantly it would absolutely put to bed all of the rumors about Navi being designed with Sony exclusively in mind.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
I fear PSVR2 will not be everything I'm dreaming it will be if they don't hit at least 11 TB.

But don't lose faith as soon.

I regret that this had to be one of my first messages, but I felt that your negativity has begun to be alarming.

Be patient. Think that, even if they announced the consoles tomorrow, they will not go out until the end of the year. At this rate you are going to run out of nails.

Sorry I do not extend. They are stressful days at work.