• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are getting too hung up on this SSD speed deal.

First of all, ask yourself what kind of trickery would having a fast SSD contribute to a game's graphics system aside from load times and streaming of assets.

Secondly, you can always buy enough RAM to install the entire game in system RAM with a PC (i.e. RAMdisk) thereby skipping the bandwidth restraints from SSD to main RAM.

A videogame is simply not going to be limited by the speed of the SSD by the way you guys are describing how it would affect a slower IO configuration. Most games in SP mode load the levels in system RAM anyway. It would only be the streaming code (which could be made to check the HDD bandwidth to system RAM before loading up a level). Don't think that there is a direct correlation of SSD speed to special FX, or more shadows, etc.. Again, one has nothing to do with the other.
I think this is a fanboy issue more than anything else. Anything to get the leg up on Xbox seems to be how most users here operate.

martino

First of all, ask yourself what kind of trickery would having a fast SSD contribute to a game's graphics system aside from load times and streaming of assets.

Secondly, you can always buy enough RAM to install the entire game in system RAM with a PC (i.e. RAMdisk) thereby skipping the bandwidth restraints from SSD to main RAM.

A videogame is simply not going to be limited by the speed of the SSD by the way you guys are describing how it would affect a slower IO configuration. Most games in SP mode load the levels in system RAM anyway. It would only be the streaming code (which could be made to check the HDD bandwidth to system RAM before loading up a level). Don't think that there is a direct correlation of SSD speed to special FX, or more shadows, etc.. Again, one has nothing to do with the other.

in an delusinnal (for example) scenario where ps5 has 10x time fatest ssd and xbox a 40% better gpu.
best graphics games will not be on ps5 (especially the corridor narrative ones)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Indeed, but as mentioned before, the moment some component was getting the upper hand on one of the systems, it was expected that some narratives were going to flip towards it.
CPU, GPU (since its inception) and RAM are the key factors. They will remain being the key factors on the foreseeable future.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
I think this is a fanboy issue more than anything else. Anything to get the leg up on Xbox seems to be how most users here operate.

You have a rather ironic post history as well.

Keep this petty crap out of this thread.

Totally agree. I know info and legit leaks are slim right now, but posting meaningless tweets from known fanboys on both teams doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

tealc-indeed.gif

It's a passive aggressive sneaky way to skirt around the fanboy drivel first hand, and start senseless arguments.

Last edited:
I told yous and seems Sony at least is doing it - doubling down on areas where PCs have a big disadvantage.

Disadvantages on PC:

- Windows OS
- game launchers
- people rocking Western Digital HDDs (!) or SSDs that can only go so fast cos each PC component is a separate entity and can only communicate at speeds up to a point
- general performance held back cos each component is a separate entity (brute force approach is really inefficient and expensive).

Sony engineers have been tickling AMD engineers' botty and saying 'Come on, show me what you got. Lets integrate GPU, memory access and SSD in ways impossible for a PC' and drinking out a straw the delicious fruits of full system integration and Dead Eye focus on being a games machine, whereas my beige box is a general purpose machine. Fuck off.

I've got a frighteningly performant PC already so if console makers want me to be as giddily excited for a new console as when I was knee high to a grasshopper they've got to deliver something I cant get on a PC.

And it seems Sony will be delivering this to me one thrust at a time.

Elysion

Banned

I agree that it wouldn’t really have an effect on graphics as such. But for some reason Sony seems to believe that it is worthwhile to have a really fast SSD in the PS5, instead of just going with a modest one with 2GB/s (which would still be a massive improvement over mechanical drives). Are one or two seconds shorter loading times compared to the XSex really worth it?

The way I see it, it would only be worthwhile to spend a significant portion of the BoM on the SSD if it was some kind of special configuration that’s completely custom, with crazy speeds of like 30GB/s or more (if that‘s even possible, lol). At speeds like that the SSD could basically be used as an additional pool of slow RAM, couldn‘t it? But unless something like that is actually possible, Sony should just stick to a normal SSD that doesn‘t drive up costs too much.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You have a rather ironic post history as well.

Keep this petty crap out of this thread.

tealc-indeed.gif

It's a passive aggressive sneaky way to skirt around the fanboy drivel first hand, and start senseless arguments.

Thank you, exactly.

Speaking T twitter users and leaks, has XcloudTimdog XcloudTimdog been vetted in some way? I know you've said HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , and Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher have been vetted at least to a certain extent, but you've never mentioned anything about TimDog being vetted at least not that I'm aware of.

I'm not trying to attack him, I'm just curious as he definitely posts as an insider without the coveted "vetted" tag..
Thanks

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Reindeer

Well they also have a higher baseline. Their game doesn't have to run on a 1.3 TF system. Which is why it stinks Lockhart will likely hold back Xbox devs again
Yet somehow many Xbox fanboys are convinced that games will radically scale to look something amazing on Series X even though their baseline will still be Jaguar cores and 1.3 tflops. If they couldn't scale on X to look better than 1.8 tflop PS4, how are they going to scale to look better than PS5 games?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yet somehow many Xbox fanboys are convinced that games will radically scale to look something amazing on Series X even though their baseline will still be Jaguar cores and 1.3 tflops. If they couldn't scale on X to look better than 1.8 tflop PS4, how are they going to scale to look better than PS5 games?
Are you saying that GoW for example looks better on a PS4 than Gears5 on the OneX?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Thank you, exactly.

Speaking T twitter users and leaks, has XcloudTimdog XcloudTimdog been vetted in some way? I know you've said HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , and Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher have been vetted at least to a certain extent, but you've never mentioned anything about TimDog being vetted at least not that I'm aware of.

I'm not trying to attack him, I'm just curious as he definitely posts as an insider without the coveted "vetted" tag..
Thanks

He has not, no.

Jtibh

Banned
Hello everybody.

Paging all leakers insiders members.

-agnis philosophy
-deep down
-heretic
-infiltrator

These are all tech demos. 3 of these are from 2013.

So lets put aside ssd s and flops .
I want to know out of the 4 what level of graphics can we expect this gen?

Again these are real time tech demos from 7 years ago.

bitbydeath

Quickly.

There is nothing more to add than what has been said by any developer who has commented. At the beginning of the year PS5 was still the one that offered the best performance. I don't know if that has changed with the new Devkits, I don't have access to that information at this time and personally I think that (theoretically) I won't have physical access until early summer, for my part. And I don't like to talk about what I haven't personally experienced. I can say that he says "X" and he says "Y", but since the opinion is so different I prefer not to internalize this information.

If you want I invent data, or if you want I tell you a number ... 13.8 (and I start the speculative machinery). But I don't think it's right.

Now what will not let you sleep will be to think if I have given you a false number ... or maybe not (just kidding).

Do you understand where I want to go? (I don't know if this expression is used in English).

Now I really have to go, until next time.

Thanks BGs, good to hear information firsthand for a change. I hope we hear more about the game you’re working on in future.

Hello everybody.

-agnis philosophy
-deep down
-heretic
-infiltrator

All of them are feasible IMO... and beyond.

martino

Based on all the tech experts analysing games and their tech and being pretty much in agreement that PS games have been best looking games this generation.
this is not as clear and how do you count all third party wins ? (game pushing graphics you can't have on console even exclusive in their pc version)
aren't you biaised in console warring vision were only exclusives count and where only sony or xbox can win ?

Last edited:

Reindeer

Hello everybody.

-agnis philosophy
-deep down
-heretic
-infiltrator

All are achievable imo.

Reindeer

this is not as clear and how do you count all third party wins ? (game pushing graphics you can't have on console even exclusive in their pc version)
aren't you biaised in console warring vision were only exclusive count and where only sony or xbox can win ?
It's not my opinion, it's what media and tech experts have been saying.

johnjohn

Are you saying that GoW for example looks better on a PS4 than Gears5 on the OneX?
Yea, Gears 5 is easily one of the best looking games this gen. The lighting is something else. Hellblade 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Fable are going to melt eyes next gen.

Last edited:

Reindeer

To be honest, I'm not that impressed by Gears 5. It has some crazy character detail and animations, but I think they sacrificed some of that visual fidelity by going 60FPS. I'm not saying it looks bad, it's easily one of the better looking games last year, but there are a few games that look better than it.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You know, I just want a defining moment again. Every time we keep getting experiences that are just the same thing, but nicer looking.

Shits getting old...

I want another Mario 64 moment, or Halo moment, or Oblivion moment. I’m trying to think about one from this gen but ok drawing a blank, even though I’m sure there is one lol.

So in regards to these SSD's is it not even going to matter in multiplayer games? I would assume every big AAA 3rd party game is going to be cross gen for the next 3 years or so. I mean yeah it's great that the PS5 version and SeX versions load instantly but there is a good chance Xbox One and PS4 players will be in the lobby. Do the Ps5 and Sex people sit there and twiddle their thumbs waiting for the peasant console people to load there games? Kind of confused how all of this is going to work.

martino

So in regards to these SSD's is it not even going to matter in multiplayer games? I would assume every big AAA 3rd party game is going to be cross gen for the next 3 years or so. I mean yeah it's great that the PS5 version and SeX versions load instantly but there is a good chance Xbox One and PS4 players will be in the lobby. Do the Ps5 and Sex people sit there and twiddle their thumbs waiting for the peasant console people to load there games? Kind of confused how all of this is going to work.

judging from my destiny 2 experience on pc with nvme.
the time spend looking at your ship is not only because of local loading because it's nearly as long as on ps4.

Last edited:

Reindeer

then i think you miss the "one of the" behind "best looking" and the fact they also say that for third party games (do you as much interest in this case ?)
Nah, many out there like DF actually rank best looking games of the year and more often than not PS games win.

Thank you, exactly.

Thanks

Don't think Tommy was ever vetted, even partially. He basically didn't say anything incriminating against himself, and last I saw a mod post of him was gifs of people getting kicked out.

The others you listed have at least some vetting though. Personally if a supposed insider has zero vetting AND no avatar, I'm laughing at anything they bring up as fantasy drivel. Especially when they start throwing around illogical or even impossible technical specifications/configurations.

You know, I just want a defining moment again. Every time we keep getting experiences that are just the same thing, but nicer looking.

Shits getting old...

I want another Mario 64 moment, or Halo moment, or Oblivion moment. I’m trying to think about one from this gen but ok drawing a blank, even though I’m sure there is one lol.

Not gonna happen with the systems we're getting. These things are basically evolutions of the PS4 and XBO. I would say the closest to the things you're describing already happened: Open-ended exploration/building "sims" (Minecraft), battle royal (Fortnite), and Souls-like games as a genre.

AAA games are just going to bring more theatrics, but nothing industry-changing. Not unless some smaller games set the groundwork, as always. I think Nintendo has more a chance for that industry-changing kind of game than Sony or MS given the plans so far, when I look at games like Ring Fit Adventure there's a lot of potential there.

If anything, the next big thing with AAA games could be massively open, persistent online multiplayer seamlessly scaling dynamic single-player and shared multiplayer experiences. Which I would say companies like Google are in a better position to bring, but they've already fucked up with Stadia. So that would probably leave Microsoft, and that comes down to how well they pull off next-gen with XSX, GamePass, Xcloud etc. Sony'll probably continue focusing on strong cinematic single-player story-driven games and I think the theatrics and story-driven nature of that will be part of the next big phase in AAA games I just mentioned, but not necessarily the way Sony does it. And they don't seem to have the cloud infrastructure to leverage that ATM the way Microsoft or Google could.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

Shits getting old...

For me it was the Order.

When the opening cutscene ended and you're standing on the roof I didn't realize the game had started and just watched for about 30 seconds before realizing it looked that good WHILE playing

Gameplay wise it was god of war one shot style or horizon

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Don't think Tommy was ever vetted, even partially. He basically didn't say anything incriminating against himself, and last I saw a mod post of him was gifs of people getting kicked out.

The others you listed have at least some vetting though. Personally if a supposed insider has zero vetting AND no avatar, I'm laughing at anything they bring up as fantasy drivel. Especially when they start throwing around illogical or even impossible technical specifications/configurations.

Tommy seems to be coming out the most accurate given what BGs had said.

chilichote

And apparently lower clocked CPU, so how does it perform better with worse CPU and GPU?

Maybe PS5 had less CUs but higher clock, so not CU-bound parts of the GPU performing better.

And: the raytracing is maybe better on PS5, so it has less performancemalus on the GPU.

pawel86ck

Banned
Thank you, exactly.

Thanks
Tim has friends at MS, he talks with them on the shows, so obviously he has connections and must know something. In my book, he is vetted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom