• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

Matt knows nothing, which is why he said XSX is slightly faster than PS5 - which doesn't fit with either the PS5 > XSX rumors or the Github leak. Him saying Github is outdated is useless. Github leak is the only verified leak we have, AMD took it down. It's legit. And it fits with

PS5 and XSX are simply not targeting the same price. Which is why a Lockhart even exists.

FYI Benji said PS5 was 13TF rdna.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
and who they are? sitting in the m$ pocket warmly. they know nothing. Cerny is f creator of console, yet, there are plenty here whom believe the nonsense that github wrote. unbelievable.
github >>> cerny + insiders + many developers. yeah right. very realistic :D
Until someone is accurate with PS5 specs, the github data is the best thing we got.

It's like PS4 and Xbox One specs being leaked a good year before launch. I didn't see anyone saying it's outdated data or fake schematics. It held true right to launch.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Github makes no sense because of this:
powerscalinggpuonly3pkch.png

2 Ghz draws 100% more power than 1.5 Ghz, for an increase of just 33% in performance. Clocks so high make no sense.
You are right, it doesn't. Unless you had planned for 8 TF and then decided to lessen a gap to XSX. The PS5 devkit doesn't look like it does because it is a great design, it's built for something that requires a ton of cooling, because it runs so hot. Like a 2 GHz Navi.

And what are the chances half a dozen APUs get tested and leaked by AMD but not the magical true APU?

You don't see it? The ppl constantly badgering the fake insiders, the dozens of new pages everyday in thread leaks, the anxiety lol we in the same forum 🤦‍♂️🤔

Not to mention the ppl tht count most in sales, the casuals don't even care about this info shit right now thy happy knowing just tht it comes this year.
Yes, the average joe doesn’t give a crap about an early reveal, specs, none of that, but social media does give you an overall idea of the hype level of people who do care and those people pass along any news they hear to their friends. And yes, over the past few months, up until late today, the hype level was very high, but that’s because many people, journalists included, were expecting SOMETHING from Sony by end of the day today. And they didn‘t get it. And now they are wondering if Sony is just gonna keep playing them like this for much longer. I just don’t see this as a sound strategy, if their intention is to keep people hype.

Last edited:
You are right, it doesn't. Unless you had planned for 8 TF and then decided to lessen a gap to XSX. The PS5 devkit doesn't look like it does because it is a great design, it's built for something that requires a ton of cooling, because it runs so hot. Like a 2 GHz Navi.

And what are the chances half a dozen APUs get tested and leaked by AMD but not the magical true APU?

i would not buy a ps5 a 2 GHZ, I just wouldn't trust a console running that hot. I think this is what makes people so anxious for the ps5 reveal that leak has me and other's worried.

darkinstinct

and who they are? sitting in the m$ pocket warmly. they know nothing. Cerny is f creator of console, yet, there are plenty here whom believe the nonsense that github wrote. unbelievable.
github >>> cerny + insiders + many developers. yeah right. very realistic :D
I don't have a clue what you mean with that. The Github leak is true. That chip was created by Cerny. Now wether that ends up in PS5, nobody knows. As to why it didn't show raytracing - because it doesn't use AMDs raytracing - which again makes total sense regarding 2 GHz. Sony went with a different solution for hardware raytracing because AMDs wasn't ready. Microsoft (M$, really, are you five?) went with the AMD solution. Which also explains why they had devkits available only in December. The narrative makes complete sense, unlike the load of BS floating around that PS5 is even more powerful ( and has a faster SSD and a more advanced controller). If you believe that, you better believe that XSX will be $100 cheaper, because you don't just get to be more powerful, there's a price to pay.

i would not buy a ps5 a 2 GHZ, I just wouldn't trust a console running that hot. I think this is what makes people so anxious for the ps5 reveal that leak has me and other's worried.

There‘s reason to believe that the Big Navi technology in the chips will increase efficiency by 20 or 30%, which hopefully will mean clocks won’t have to be so high to get to where Sony wants to get with the PS5.

darkinstinct

There‘s reason to believe that the Big Navi technology in the chips will increase efficiency by 20 or 30%, which hopefully will mean clocks won’t have to be so high to get to where Sony wants to get with the PS5.
5700 XT can already be overclocked to stable 2 GHz, so it's absolutely possible. And would explain why there have been three new revisions of Oberon since June. Making sure the chip can run stable, by moving components around.

Matt already said not to mind the Github leak. Even at 1.8 Ghz it's relatively too high in clocks compared to what Sony normally does, which is running lower clocks than the off the self part. And you think they are overclocking an already overclocked GPU so it's going to draw more power than a 60 CU part at 1.5 Ghz thus spending as much in cooling while performing worse? That would be a dream come true for Microsoft. But dreams are dreams.

Last edited:
IMO, the next gen info is on lock down because of Nvidia>AMD, Sony and Microsoft being apart of the AMD Next-Gen family and AMD is releasing the specs yet either of their high end gpus

That would have been a burn if I wasn’t talking about how Sony has done nothing and Xbox has everyone talking.

As it was you just drew focus on to the fact that Xbox is once again a real competitor and that much to everyones surprise Sonys lack of engagement and marketing has left their fans with nothing to talk about but that they will probably will copy Xbox backwards compatibility program, Xbox game pass and pc game release strategy.

I'll be honest and say Sony's lack of communication lately is kinda pissing me off. Feels like my patience is being tested and taken for granted as a fan. I mean they're really not saying anything right now and I'm left scratching my head, it's very unlike early 2013 or even what they were doing from late spring up to November or so last year.

Wasting time on a logo reveal at CES felt outright insulting to me, personally. Came off as disrespectful. So if this event's going to happen in February, they need to make the announcement somewhat soon. If it isn't, then let people know when they can at least look forward to an announcement for your event. As-is they're leaving us in the dark and I'm getting tired of it.

darkinstinct

I like how you tried to disprove another person with Benji tweet now that i proved you wrong you’re now in denial. If the narrative fits right?
BS. He said it and realized it's probably wrong. Now with XSX at 12 it seems more realistic that Sony could be at 13. That's it. He is in no way saying that PS5 is 13 TF.

semicool

Banned
Matt already said not to mind the Github leak. Even at 1.8 Ghz it's relatively too high in clocks compared to what Sony normally does, which is using lower clocks than the off the self part. And you think they are overclocking an already overclocked GPU so it's going to draw more power than a 60 CU part at 1.5 Ghz thus spending as much in cooling while performing worse? That would be a dream come true for Microsoft. But dreams are dreams.
What if I told you to ignore Matt or any other "insider"? I seriously doubt he knows. You realize Sony knows who is he is and his sources could be tracked down. Same for any other known "insider" and ding the "sources" for breaking NDA to Matt? A likely real insider would want to be anonymous to the public or protected as such. Translation: Matt likely doesn't know. Real AMD chips as such is stronger evidence. Not for sure, but likely.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

IMO, the next gen info is on lock down because of Nvidia>AMD, Sony and Microsoft being apart of the AMD Next-Gen family and AMD is releasing the specs yet either of their high end gpus
AMD sells chip designs. Sony and Microsoft are completely free to share whatever they want, it's their product. AMD doesn't even produce the chips, they are just making sure that the designs work.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yes, the average joe doesn’t give a crap about an early reveal, specs, none of that, but social media does give you an overall idea of the hype level of people who do care and those people pass along any news they hear to their friends. And yes, over the past few months, up until late today, the hype level was very high, but that’s because many people, journalists included, were expecting SOMETHING from Sony by end of the day today. And they didn‘t get it. And now they are wondering if Sony is just gonna keep playing them like this for much longer. I just don’t see this as a sound strategy, if their intention is to keep people hype.

Playing them? Sony never hinted or said anything about info. You letting yourself get carried away by the thirstyness on these forums lol

Bro bs logo on instagram getting over 5 millions views in a day speaks volumes.

What if I told you to ignore Matt or any other "insider"? I seriously doubt he knows. You realize Sony knows who is he is and his sources could be tracked down. Same for any other known "insider" and ding the "sources" for breaking NDA to Matt? A likely real insider would want to be anonymous to the public or protected as such. Translation: Matt likely doesn't know. Real AMD chips as such is stronger evidence. Not for sure, but likely.
I'm trusting insiders with good track record like Jason Schreier and Matt who say very little but what they say is coherent. Jason said both are close, more than 10.7 teraflops and better than a RTX 2080 and Matt said not to mind the Github leak and both consoles are going to be close.
That's my bet right now.

New insiders, time will tell, but they don't look very reliable at the moment.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm trusting insiders with good track record like Jason Schreier and Matt who say very little but what they say is coherent. Jason said both are close, more than 10.7 teraflops and better than a RTX 2080 and Matt said not to mind the Github leak and both consoles are going to be close.
That's my bet right now.

Why are you so concerned with measuring the next-gen consoles TFLOPS with a PC GPU? This is how platform warring starts. It's like you guys want any number that can be as close to a PC GPU as possible. The 3080Ti comes out this year along with AMD's RDNA 2 boards. In 2 more years, you'll have a 4080Ti, etc.. try not to get hung up on consoles "hanging" with PC GPUs.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
That's my bet right now.

ps5 and xsx will most probably be on par on power. Maybe xsx is a bit more power, but i dont expect a meaninful delta.

Playing them? Sony never hinted or said anything about info. You letting yourself get carried away by the thirstyness on these forums lol

Bro bs logo on instagram getting over 5 millions views in a day speaks volumes.
Yes, playing us. You know they pay people to monitor these forums filled with gamers anxiously awaiting news on a daily basis, when they know full well we’re just here waiting for something that’s not coming when we think. . Everybody following this launch closely was expecting an announcement in January for a February event, yet Sony stays in total silence. They could very easily have put out word, “do not expect a reveal for February,“ but no, they want to keep us guessing. Jim Ryan said you’ll be hearing more from us “in the coming months.” I don’t see any benefit Sony gains from having zero communication with it’s fans, even to just tell us “no news this month, maybe next month.” That’s why I think they’re playing us.

Last edited:

Norse

If your next gen console is most powerful, you'll fanboy it up with a-hole posts all over Gaf. If it's not, the difference won't be noticable will be your argument. Be you an xbot or sdf member, it will be exactly the same. LoL....I know it sucks but we all know that's what will happen.

I think there's room for very high performance gpus on consoles, potentially at 2080 or 2080 ti performance levels. We have to remember that while nvidia>amd, nvidia gpus have a good chunk of their gpus devoted to raytracing and ai with rt cores and tensor cores. The consoles will likely not have tensor cores and might have less h/w devoted to raytracing, allowing for similar performance with a smaller cheaper die size.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's my bet right now.

My question to this is what's "close" to these people mean?

Also better than a 2080 in what capacity?

Why are you so concerned with measuring the next-gen consoles TFLOPS with a PC GPU? This is how platform warring starts. It's like you guys want any number that can be as close to a PC GPU as possible. The 3080Ti comes out this year along with AMD's RDNA 2 boards. In 2 more years, you'll have a 4080Ti, etc.. try not to get hung up on consoles "hanging" with PC GPUs.
I take Jason's comment as both consoles being over 10 teraflops. I don't think he wanted to imply them performing better than a RTX 2080 ti which will be a 2 year old card when next gen consoles launch. You don't need to be so insecure. PC will always perform better than consoles no matter what. Specially now that consoles are using downclocked PC parts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Dude, all he is doing is repeating what Schreier has said. You don’t need to come to the defense of the glorious PC.

My question to this is what's "close" to these people mean?

Also better than a 2080 in what capacity?
I think Matt said less than 15% tf difference. I'm not sure though.
I suppose he means better in teraflops, as in more than 10 teraflops, but I don't know.

lynux3

Honestly, it sounds like you're the one hung up. I can't recall anyone seriously thinking that a closed box would evolve with PC hardware.

The github leak is the only thing I'm believing till I see evidence otherwise because insiders you can't reliably trust saying stuff doesn't mean a thing. This happens every cycle where we're already staring at the accurate information for many months on end, but nobody wants to believe it. Nothing we've seen anywhere comes off nearly as credible or as detailed as what came from that amd github leak. Hope for a stronger PS5 than what's shown, but too much of the information lines up well, and the source is too big a deal for me to just ignore it. And all the github leak did on the xbox side of things is just more or less confirm what Microsoft was already clearly communicating even before it was found. With what Xbox has said, the configuration and features on the chip listed in the github leaks just makes sense.

But there are insiders you can trust. Not many.

Matt on ERA said GitHub doesn’t indicate anything. His word is as good as gold.

I’m sorry that doesn’t jive with your hope of PS5 being significantly weaker than XSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom