• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

xabbott

Microsoft is always coming up a day late and a dollar short.

How are they a dollar short and somehow are the most valuable company in the world? Even when they aren't they're still in the top 3. Stuff that we collectively dismiss like Bing, it is Google's only competition and is profitable. I don't they're going to be passing Playstation's console sales even next generation but the business model they're aiming for doesn't seem to require that for Microsoft's gaming initiatives to be successful.

All of these companies are publicly traded with leadership that can and will change. As such, goals and the speed of adjusting to market changes can vary greatly over a companies' history. I think saying Microsoft is dropping hardware with this current leadership just isn't realistic. Its one of those things like 'Nintendo going third party' that will just continue to get pulled out whenever they appear to be "losing."

TLZ

Banned
Some new stuff I've heard of these two beasts, coming out E3

PSU:
PS5 420 W
XBox Next 300

Cooling:
PS5 liquid cooling
XBox Next vapor chamber

Maybe some of you, more tech savvy, can help out with the meaning of this, if true. Heard it from at least three different sources but always take with a grain of salt...
Sauce:
wake up this morning and there were this three little birds singing this stuff to me, crazy i know! But made a video too proof

I'd like some extra sauce on the side please.

Would any company really bother making costly hardware if they could avoid it? Why not let people play your content on any device they already own for a low monthly fee? Do away with all those terrible R&D costs, physical products and creation. Instead make billions just acting as a middle man for their own and third party content.
Even if they totally abandoned the home console market, don't you think they would still have to make Xbox PCBs/blades for their cloud infrastructure?

The way I see it, there's a high chance that the PS7 (2034+) will actually run on xCloud hardware with no physical presence at all. Maybe that's the endgame of the Sony/MS Azure partnership.

TeamGhobad

Banned
MisterXMedia is back (Parasite is one of the biggest poster in MisterXMedia about dGPU and 3D silicon stack on XB1) ... look at source 😂

im still waiting for that 550gb/s obake system to be unlocked within my xbox one.

Some new stuff I've heard of these two beasts, coming out E3

PSU:
PS5 420 W
XBox Next 300

Cooling:
PS5 liquid cooling
XBox Next vapor chamber

makes sense why ps5 would be 30% more powerful. early leaks said ps5 devkits were big loud towers.

THE:MILKMAN

^ I'm not sure what he is trying to propose with that? The Scarlett is clearly a monolithic APU from what the video shows. Upgrading just the GPU is crazy talk.

Right?

Well I've very much different view these are total failure for sure
  • iPod : Zune
  • Google : Bing

But these product it's a very different stories
  • iPad : Surface = Ipad OS + Keyboard and Pen with an iPad Pro it's more like a Surface by Apple as well as the many (inferior product) Detachable 2in1 PC by every other PC vendor in the industry vs the Microsoft Original vision

• PlayStation : Xbox = GAMES are subjective to everyone tastes and Sales figures are useless to a gamer but as product Xbox was a much better console vs Ps2 , X360 turned out a much more viable console vs Ps3, Xbox One was a failed project , Xbox One X it's a better product vs Ps4 pro

• Steam : Microsoft Store = actually I prefer very much the Xbox Store approach and integration vs Steam ( excluding price )

• Siri : Cortana = Siri it's much more integrated companion, but both ( and Alexa) are failed design vs Google

It's ok to disagree. Some people may have a real soft spot for some of those MS products even. The litmus test for me on this is not how do the fans of those products feel about them. But which of the two would an average man (or woman) on the street associate with that product area?

How are they a dollar short and somehow are the most valuable company in the world? Even when they aren't they're still in the top 3. Stuff that we collectively dismiss like Bing, it is Google's only competition and is profitable. I don't they're going to be passing Playstation's console sales even next generation but the business model they're aiming for doesn't seem to require that for Microsoft's gaming initiatives to be successful.

The sum of their parts is greater than the whole.

That doesn't alter the fact that those "me too" products are underperforming against the market leaders in the product segment they're competing in. These markets are so huge that second or even third place can still be profitable if run efficiently.

All of these companies are publicly traded with leadership that can and will change. As such, goals and the speed of adjusting to market changes can vary greatly over a companies' history. I think saying Microsoft is dropping hardware with this current leadership just isn't realistic. Its one of those things like 'Nintendo going third party' that will just continue to get pulled out whenever they appear to be "losing."

Yes, times change but in corporations that rate of change can be glacial. Waiting for the VP in charge to die, retire or shoot themselves in the foot before anyone else gets a chance to hold the reigns for a while. Then who moves into that slot? Another company man that has been playing it safe, biding his time, risk adverse. So much for changing things quickly.

Look at it this way, if Xbox hardware sales contract even further next gen against the competition, do you think MS will throw even more money at the problem the generation after too? Given that they're already seem to be making moves to exit?

The current popular IPs will have already have had their popularity tested on other platforms outside of Xbox. If they're popular elsewhere or even worse, not popular elsewhere, why continue with hardware?

Failing to meet expectations can result in the leadership changes accelerating faster than anticipated for all involved.

Alternatively, GamePass may be a roaring success and expand gaming outside of current Xbox owners. So why cling onto the hardware in that case? It will just get killed faster.

TeamGhobad

Banned
^ I'm not sure what he is trying to propose with that? The Scarlett is clearly a monolithic APU from what the video shows. Upgrading just the GPU is crazy talk.

Right?

he's the guy that said nexbox would have zen3 but if true and nexbox has 12 cores i would be happy. although multplatform games wouldn't take advantage of them.

LordOfChaos

as long as it does 4k will all the bells and whistles i actually prefer stronger CPU over stronger GPU. I much prefer more people on the streets and more cars on the roads.

Number 4 (at minimum) doesn't make sense, it's not a new PCI-e standard, it's literally a mirrored PCI-e connector on the other side (with extra power pins for up to 375W on that side + 75 on the regular) in the new mac pro, but still on PCI-E 3.0, consoles will be on 4.0 and don't have to worry about the socket layout as it's all integrated onto the motherboard. Even if it was modular it would likely be with connections other than two PCI-E slots, the MPX module has nothing to do with anything here.

Youtuber opinions are like assholes...

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

he's the guy that said nexbox would have zen3 but if true and nexbox has 12 cores i would be happy. although multplatform games wouldn't take advantage of them.

Yeah but we have confirmation Scarlett is Zen 2 and I see no real benefit going with 12 cores (100+ mm^2 alone?) when the opposition have 8 cores confirmed. Devs will target the lowest common denominator.

Farrell55

Banned
Not sure how accurate this is but ......

Very surprising if true, not sure how much it difference it would make but still very surprising SONY would be a generation back with hardware.
Exactly what i predicted

PS5 RDNA1
Lockhart%Scarlett next gen Navi RDNA2

Farrell55

Banned
Imo they will have different aproach of Raytracing

What i think

Ps5: hardware Raytracing for a Limited numbers of effect like some shadow lightning...

Lockhart: Hardware Raytracing for various effects. Shadow lightning mirrors...

Scarlet: Fullscene Hardware Raytracing on all objects & effects

LordOfChaos

I assume it will change with Scarlett
MS hast by far the best engineers Hardware&Software.

Microsoft complies with physics. Sorry, don't expect that or you will be let down. Especially where consoles are already juggling die size and heat and traditional raster performance.

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
Rumors and Speculations and more Wet dreams this thread should have been called..
The Xbox Scarlett is released before The PS5 and Sony Will let MS kick them between the legs.
Surely this is but pure Nonsense.

IT could be that Xbox Scarlett puts Sonny's hardware into difficult position If they Boost the Zen2 CPU to its limits and have a 14 TF GPU. One console for the 5 and 7 year Cycle.
No more stupid Ps4 and Ps4 pro
Or Xbox one and Xbox one X

Last edited:

Farrell55

Banned
Microsoft complies with physics. Sorry, don't expect that or you will be let down. Especially where consoles are already juggling die size and heat and traditional raster performance.
OG ps3 (fat) managed over 200 watts without a alien cooling solution and thats 13y ago

Today 300w is possible in a console sized box, but it costs$

Not a Problem for MS probally a Problem for sony

Farrell55

Banned
Rumors and Speculations and more Wet dreams this thread should have been called..
The Xbox Scarlett is released before The PS5 and Sony Will let MS kick them between the legs.
Surely this is but pure Nonsense.

IT could be that Xbox Scarlett puts Sonny's hardware into difficult position If they Boost the Zen2 CPU to its limits and have a 14 TF GPU. One console for the 5 and 7 year Cycle.
No more stupid Ps4 and Ps4 pro
Or Xbox one and Xbox one X
You really think next gen playstation are 14TF?

nowhat

MS hast by far the best engineers Hardware&Software.
Which is why there was no such thing as RROD? The Surface line has a spotless track record when it comes hardware, right? There are not tons of Windows bugs, some of them very much critical, discovered on a regular basis?

MS employs a ton of very talented people (so do other companies). That doesn't make them infallible or beyond the reach of the competition.

Farrell55

Banned
Which is why there was no such thing as RROD? The Surface line has a spotless track record when it comes hardware, right? There are not tons of Windows bugs, some of them very much critical, discovered on a regular basis?

MS employs a ton of very talented people (so do other companies). That doesn't make them infallible or beyond the reach of the competition.
Yeah youre right But it was only the first x360 revision

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
The Posibilty Can't be denied because the PS5 is rumored between 10 to 13 TF and If Xbox Scarlett is 13.7 TF. Only 1 TF differenance. One would be ignorant if they are saying MS does not know How Powerful PS5 kits are. But you are Right the max we Can speculate is between 10 to 13 TF because a minimum of 8 Cu's are needed for other Tasks. Or a higher GPU clock speed but I doubt thAt?

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

I'd like some extra sauce on the side please.
May i suggest our house specialty?... the PSU5000, a external power brick featuring in-built, the Cell2 lite secret processor unit, for Ray Tracing and retro compatibility porpoises.

im still waiting for that 550gb/s obake system to be unlocked within my xbox one.

makes sense why ps5 would be 30% more powerful. early leaks said ps5 devkits were big loud towers.
Yes, i heard they were made by Harman Kardon! Sony is going all in with that 3D sound CPU thingy.

Farrell55

Banned
The Posibilty Can't be denied because the PS5 is rumored between 10 to 13 TF and If Xbox Scarlett is 13.7 TF. Only 1 TF differenance. One would be ignorant if they are saying MS does not know How Powerful PS5 kits are. But you are Right the max we Can speculate is between 10 to 13 TF because a minimum of 8 Cu's are needed for other Tasks. Or a higher GPU clock speed but I doubt iT.
For ps5 i think max 10TF likely lower Because they will get into heat trouble

Farrell55

Banned
I wasn't being arrogant, I was being condescending!
The last few pages showed that reason doesn't work with you, so I was trying a new approach.
Delusion is dangerous, it leads to great emotionally scarring disappointments. We are only trying to help you.
Oh wow thank you Sir thats really nice 👍 alt comes from german it means old btw my account is not so old...

LordOfChaos

Sony will be Standard 7nm
MS has to be 7nm+ Euv at least dir Scarlett and the Rest is clever engineering

*deep breath*

7nm EUV on 300W on an APU isn't going to be enough for full scene ray tracing on games of current AAA complexity. Let alone next gen.

It ain't going to happen. They may apply different levels of ray tracing, but it's all going to be an assistive boost to rasterization. This isn't even touching on your assumptions about relative power and node access, don't need to to know Scarlett won't be able to do full scene ray tracing on AAA titles. None of them will.

Unless they gave up on raster performance and made it almost dedicated to RT performance, but that would give the competitor a boost on devs not into RT yet and even then, the bandwidth piece...

You can save this if you wish - it's not going to happen.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I heard NextBox was using a 300W GPU, but they've secured a frying pan to it and duct taped a 16" oscillating fan on top, so we're all good. The secret sauce?...Thermal Duct Tape.

Artist's Rendition, Anaconda:
30340t450.jpg
+
S-10328GR.jpg
+
0000155_classic-frying-pan-24-cm-94-in.jpeg
+
S-10328GR.jpg
+
fan.jpg

Last edited:
What if...
  • 12.9 TF leak was misinformation
  • 14.2 TF
  • Priced below the competition's high end model
  • Launches first
Can any of these really be discounted yet?

An interesting start to the generation, no?

FranXico

An interesting start of this generation would be 8 TF, all those meltdowns.. now that would be interesting..
If both consoles came out with 8TF and only small differences in clocks, yes the meltdown would be something else to watch.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
An interesting start of this generation would be 8 TF, all those meltdowns.. now that would be interesting..
I think no matter the machine if either are under 10tf it be disappointing and would hurt all warriors. Games would be held back by a under powered console. I really hope both hit 12 plus to honest no matter who wins the spec war. A repeat of last gen with 1 gimped device does gamers no good.

xabbott

..snip..
Alternatively, GamePass may be a roaring success and expand gaming outside of current Xbox owners. So why cling onto the hardware in that case? It will just get killed faster.

I feel like you can make these leaps with Sony and Nintendo too. Hell, even Apple is getting into services and is already allowing its content on to Amazon Alexa. But none of these players are all or nothing. Nintendo is willing to grow some characters across mobile for instance for the good of the franchise. Microsoft seems to be willing to do the same with Minecraft.

However both companies will continue with hardware. As things stand now I believe Microsoft is willing to dump a lot of money into Xbox and Surface hardware even if the market share remains smaller than the competition. Google appears to be doing the same with its Pixel phones even though they really don't need to.

Ar¢tos

There is no fucking chance the PS5 includes liquid cooling.
Aren't there new, reasonably priced, liquid cooling systems that require no maintenance /liquid substitution? (I think they are made for small chips, but they might have improved the tech)

ethomaz

Banned
Yes? Allready which rdna generation 1&2?
Navi.

I could give you the benefit of doubt if they said RDNA but they where crystal clear about being Navi.

What come after Navi that will be based in RDNA 2 won’t be used as base for these consoles.

Both uses Navi.

You need to stop and read your own bullshit comments... it is fine be a fan but it shameful be a MisterXMedia liar.

Last edited:

vpance

What if...
  • 12.9 TF leak was misinformation
  • 14.2 TF
  • Priced below the competition's high end model
  • Launches first
Can any of these really be discounted yet?

An interesting start to the generation, no?

I'm thinking 13-14TF launching first, $499.

Anaconda 10-11TF $449 (forced to cut price because of the power difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom